Memory 42

You Said Remember Me

“Ok.”

/////

When Victoria got home she greeted the police officer who’d been walking around her home just to make sure that strange man hadn’t come back. Entering her home Victoria dropped her large bag with her books, binders, and folders onto her couch and glanced toward the oval window that gave her the perfect view of the police car stationed outside of her home. Instead of feeling securely safe she felt like she was being watched 24/7. It felt more irritating then Donghae barging in on her whenever he felt like it, but on the other hand at least she was feeling some decent silence.

Melodix came running up to her putting her paws on her legs with her tongue sticking out.

“And where did you come from?” questioned Victoria picking the dog up. “I should really get your hair cut and give you a nice shampoo bath.” Victoria looked around the home. “I haven’t had much time to pay you attention too. I’m sorry.”

Melodix just stared at her silently. When Victoria opened the door to let Melodix out onto the front yard she noticed a bouquet of red roses lying just before the steps leading up to the door. After putting Melodix back into the house she picked up the flower and found a note attached to it.  

“I remember watching you like this 朋友, 我的爱. Do you think you remember me yet?”

Chinese characters? Victoria frowned. She learned Chinese for only a year before she decided to stop. Who would know how to write Chinese characters? And who was sending her these haunting flowers? Victoria wondered if the police officer had been there when the flowers were dropped off.

She suddenly looked up when the wind rushed pass and she thought she heard footsteps. Glancing around feeling insecure again she quickly stepped back into her apartment and shut the door making sure three times that the door was locked. Victoria glanced down at the flowers she was gripping and walked toward the kitchen disposing them into the trash then looked at the note.

“Chinese characters?” Victoria asked aloud then walked away throwing the note into one of her drawers. If she ever remembered she’d show it to Chief Kang since Donghae was supposed to be on a short vacation.

/////

Music roared throughout the large basement. Bottles and bottles and cans of beer lay on the ground in a mess. Laughter and deafening screams ran around the room like an open field with panicked animals. The disco light changed colors shining never ending light around the room. Her mind spun and she felt overwhelming loss. Tears jolted her eyes and she couldn’t even see clearly. Since three hours ago she’d lost sight of her friends and was only accompanied by random strangers who claimed themselves to be college students. Partying on a Tuesday night? She should have known better.

“Hey, Hee Sun ah.” her unni’s voice came.

Hee Sun tried to look up from where she was laying but couldn’t even manage to open her eyes.

“Why are you so useless huh? You can’t even make it to the third can.” her voice was full of a bitter mocking tone.

“U…unni?” Hee Sun muttered.

“Aish…whatever,” In Sook muttered and turned to the few man standing beside her. “I’ll only take 1000 and…I’ll only allow one of you.”

The men beside her roared in excitement and disappointment all together. In Sook smiled a devilish smile and crossed her arm.

“Son Tae, you got 1000 right?” In Sook asked keeping her eyes on the drunk Hee Sun.

The perfectly buff man with a beard walked over opening his wallet and placed some cash into In Sook’s hand then kissed her cheek.

“I’ll take care of her.”

“Do whatever you want, I don’t care. We weren’t even sisters to begin with.” In Sook said counting the cash.

“Oppa…Donghae oppa…oppa…” was all that came from Hee Sun’s cries while she was being carried away.

/////

Donghae found his way to the elevator luckily and arrived on the third floor. It was a long hallway with doors on both sides. He had never asked where her office actually was but it was a good thing professor’s names were engraved on plates next to the door. He stopped in the middle of the hallway and found the door open but no one was in. Deciding to just go in and sit he pushed the door open but stopped when he heard a familiar laughter coming from next door. Turning to look down the hallway he saw Victoria and Seo In Ji stepping out from the office just next door. The two of them immediately paused.

Victoria’s smile disappeared, but In Ji’s face certainly became brighter. Donghae smiled back and waved. He noticed Victoria’s eyes land on the one crutch he was leaning on.

“The doctor said I shouldn’t start walking on two feet yet so the nurse made me use this,” Donghae explained.

“Who are you talking to?” Victoria questioned.

“Hmm?” Donghae raised his eyebrows. “Weren’t you silently wondering why?”

Victoria just stared at him then turned to In Ji whose spectacular smile had not yet disappeared. Slightly frowning she followed her gaze to the investigator standing before them then she suddenly realized.

With a smile Victoria turned back to Donghae, “I suppose you haven’t had lunch, yet? Do you want to go out with us?”

“Oh really?” he asked excited.

“You two go ahead. I’m not really hungry anymore,” In Ji suddenly told.

“What? Why?” Victoria turned to her.

“I…I don’t want to interrupt anything,” In Ji said stealing a glance at Donghae.

“Didn’t you say you were hungry?” Victoria asked.

“Next time. I remembered I have some exams to prepare for.” In Ji lied stepping back into her office.

“Exams don’t even start yet…” Victoria muttered glancing at In Ji’s door.

“Since she’s not going lets go,” Donghae said nodding toward the elevator.

Victoria just stared at him then pushed In Ji’s office door open.

“Then lets head out for dinner tomorrow ok? I’ll treat you as promised. Ok? See you then!” Victoria told then closed the door and turned back to Donghae. “Are you even supposed to be out?”

“Yes! I even got permission from the doctor.”

“Lets just go back and we can eat down in the hospital cafeteria,” Victoria said.

“What? No! Why!” he exclaimed as Victoria began walking ahead.

Victoria stopped in her tracks and turned to look at him, “Instead of taking you back later I can just take you back now.”

“I’m not asking you to take me back,” Donghae stated.

“You coming here means I need to take you back.”

“No it doesn’t.”

“Yes, it does.”

“No.”

Victoria stared at him bluntly, “Why’d you come here in the first place you idiot?” She noticed his face expression change to a frown. “Isn’t your job supposed to be lying down in the hospital?”

“I…I…I’m bored, don’t you know it’s boring to be in the hospital all by yourself?” he questioned. Well, it was half the truth and he had just wanted to visit her…for no particular reason that he understood. He couldn’t come up with a good enough excuse that wouldn’t make him look dumb.

“Go back, will you? I’m busy,” Victoria told continuing on.

“Then…we’re not having lunch?” Donghae asked stopping her really hoping he wouldn’t have to spend the rest of the day alone.

Donghae found himself sitting in the hospital cafeteria eating in a joyful matter for the first time that week. The noisy cafeteria that had kept him company the past few days was now deaf to his ears.

“You know that comic book you bought me?” Donghae asked starting the conversation. “Do you think you could buy the next part? I’ve read it over a hundred times already.”

“Buy the next part?” repeated Victoria. “Why? You could get it yourself.”

“But I can’t get around much.”

“You got around today.”

Donghae made a face when she turned her attention to her food, “You returned to work? How is it?”

“Fun.”

“Is it?” Donghae asked. “You’re good friends with that other professor, aren’t you?”

“Who?” Victoria looked up at him. “Oh…Seo In Ji? That reminds me, you’ll probably be able to get out of the hospital tomorrow, right?”

“Why?” Donghae asked hearing something different in her voice or maybe it was the way she’d spoken to him that made him feel suspicious. She’d never asked him to go anywhere before.

“Lets go for dinner. Ok?” Victoria asked.

“Why would you want to invite me out for dinner?”

“Well…you said we are friends, right? So, I should congratulate you for finally getting better,” Victoria smiled.

Donghae watched her silently then smirked, “Ok. If it’s on you then I shouldn’t reject.”

/////

Hee Sun didn’t know how long she’d been lying there. She didn’t even know what time it was. It was probably dark outside. Her growling stomach told her she’d been lying in bed for too long, but she didn’t have the guts to get up either. If she walked out of the motel how many people would see her? How many people would wonder what she was doing there?

She felt like she was in a closet. The white walls penetrated her mind and the blanket covering her didn’t make her feel any warmer. She couldn’t remember anything from last night after finishing the rest of that bottle of beer, but the man who’d woken up beside her this morning…when she saw him she knew what happened. He hadn’t realized she was awake so he took a shower, dressed, and left the room. He hadn’t returned.

What was she going to do? Her heart sunk so low. Worry filled her mind. Her mother would never forgive her and her father…how would he react? Eunhyuk…would he even help her? Tears swept her eyes when the terrorizing thoughts of facing her family came to her so visibly. Her oppa…how would she face him again?

“Just die Hee Sun…just die…you have nothing left…” she cried to herself and clutched the end of the pillow with all her might.


***朋 友[pengyou->friend], 我的爱[wo de ai->my love].

***What happened to Hee Sun will become a problem starter later, so watch out for it