Memory 60

You Said Remember Me

“What…who…how…” her mother stuttered tripping over her own words.

“Hee Sun!!!” her father screamed.

Donghae watched Hee sun bite her trembling lips helplessly. A cold air of strong shock froze the house. No one moved and everyone stood in complete loss. For a moment it felt as if the world spun around only them. When her mother began crying the spell broke.

“Who is it! Who’s the father! I sent you to school to learn and study! For your damn future! How in the world did you let this happen? You irresponsible girl!!” her father went on, his voice booming.

“Hee Sun-ah! Hee Sun…” her mother wailed.

“I’m sorry,” Hee Sun apologized tears running streaks down her face like raindrops.

Donghae felt his heart sink.

“Who’s the father! Bring him here immediately!” when Hee Sun didn’t answer he grabbed her shoulder. “Who is he?! Tell me!”

/////

Eunhyuk swerved around the corner slowly making his way toward the house. The smile on his face disappeared when he recognized Donghae’s car parked outside his home. Wondering if he was staying over for dinner he drove his car into the driveway and got out walking toward the back door. As soon as he opened the door the noise of two women crying filled his ears and immediately sensing that something was going on he hurried up the stairs that led to the living room where they were all standing. Hee Sun in front of her enraged parents and Donghae just standing there watching.

“Hee Sun, how could you? I had so much faith in you! Didn’t you know that?” her father asked.

Eunhyuk watched his mother cry helplessly.

“Who’s the father?! Bring him here!” his father screamed. “Or should I take you to him?! Lets go! Go right now!”

“I don’t know…I’m sorry…dad…” Hee Sun cried still in his hold.

His father was going to continue but stopped when Donghae placed his hand on his wrist. It felt like watching someone melt in the mere moment. Even Eunhyuk felt his legs go weak and his heart slowly sink at the sight.

“It’s ok,” Donghae told taking his hand off Hee Sun’s arm.

Eunhyuk slowly watched as Donghae got onto his knees in front of his dad, a deep frown overcoming his face. What in the world was his friend doing?!

“I’ll take responsibility…for Hee Sun…and the child.” Donghae said calmly, his eyes on the ground.

“What?” Eunhyuk’s dad questioned. “Are you crazy! Do I need to go drag that bastard who did this to my daughter here myself?!” he screamed staring at Donghae in disbelief.

“Oppa…” Hee Sun sobbed.

“Are you crazy?!! Do you want to see me go crazy?!!” his father shouted.

“What are you doing!” Eunhyuk finally brought himself to interfere, his voice at the top of his lungs.

Both Hee Sun and his mother became quiet and everyone turned to look at him…except Donghae. Eunhyuk couldn’t help but glare at the scene before he stomped over, pulled Donghae up to his feet, and dragged him out. When the door slammed after him Eunhyuk finally let go of Donghae.

“I feel like punching you,” Eunhyuk muttered. “Are you stupid? Are you stupid!”

Donghae avoided eye contact. Eunhyuk grabbed him and shook him hard.

“What is wrong with you! Hae!” Eunhyuk screamed then finally stopped heaving for air.

“Why are you doing this? Hee Sun doesn’t need your responsibility. We don’t need you to do this!”

“What did you want me to do when my mind was telling me to step in and stop it?” Donghae asked, his eyes only focused on the ground.

Eunhyuk bit his lip. “What do you want me to do to make you understand?! What kind of a friend are you?!”

“Hee Sun is like a sister to me. We know…she can’t pull through this alone…even if I hurt anyone else I can’t abandon your sister,” Donghae explained.

“I know,” Eunhyuk told, “we should feel guilty, but this isn’t how you should do things.”

“Listen,” Donghae said, “when she was on her knees before me crying, it wasn’t right for me to turn away. You wouldn’t have turned away from anyone else either.”

Eunhyuk first opened his mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out. He couldn’t mutter anything.

“You can’t abandon someone who’s like your sister, but you can abandon someone who you love? What happened to Victoria?” Eunhyuk asked feeling so helpless he felt he was going to cry himself. His friend’s stupidity, Hee Sun’s recklessness, and his parents’ tantrums.

“She knew…this was going to happen…she’s waiting for me to tell her…” Donghae replied without energy in his tone.

Eunhyuk bit his lip and turned away feeling deeply sorry and hurt. Very slowly he let go of Donghae.

“You’re foolish, even more foolish than I thought you were,” Eunhyuk told. “Where…did the Donghae I used to know go?”

/////

Victoria stared at Melodix who sat beside her staring back. Rubbing her behind the ears Victoria smiled.

“After exams…should we just head back to Incheon?” she asked. “What do you say girl? How about it?”

Melodix only stuck her tongue out panting for air.

“I thought coming to Seoul was a smart idea, but I guess it turns out it’s not as great as we expected it to be,” Victoria told. “Should I resign and find a different job?”

/////

Throughout dinner the mood was weary and so fake. Only Hee Sun and Donghae were the only ones talking. Only Eunhyuk, his mom, and dad were beyond silent. Maybe it looked like his mom was able to accept Donghae, but his father was against the idea. His father wanted the real father of the baby to take responsibility and Eunhyuk couldn’t stand the sight of Hee Sun or Donghae. They both…angered him.

Immediately after dinner Eunhyuk retreated to his room and stuck his headphones on blasting music into his ears. Even it if was bad for his ears he didn’t mind it at the moment because he needed it.

There was a knock on his door and he heard Hee Sun’s voice telling him to send Donghae out, but he could have cared less. Eunhyuk didn’t even want to look at him. Hee Sun was Hee Sun, but it didn’t make her any different from Victoria. Eunhyuk didn’t understand why Dongahe was willing to make such a sacrifice.

/////

“Eunhyuk…doesn’t look like he’ll be coming out,” Hee Sun told walking after Donghae to his car.

“It’s alright,” Donghae said. “You can go back in, Hee Sun.”

Hee Sun nodded then grabbed Donghae’s arm, “Oppa, thank you. I love you a lot, you know?”

Donghae just nodded and got into his car and Hee Sun watched him drive off.

/////

When Eunhyuk felt someone pull his headphones off he turned around to find no other than Hee Sun standing there.

“Eunhyuk, why are you so angry?” asked Hee Sun. “Shouldn’t you be happy with me that oppa is willing to help?”

Eunhyuk grabbed his headphones from her and stuck them back onto his head, but Hee Sun took them away again. Feeling more than annoyed Eunhyuk got up and walked out of his room with Hee Sun following him.

“Eunhyuk! Lee Hyukjae!”

Eunhyuk paused, rolled his eyes, then continued until he made it out onto the patio out back. Hee Sun stopped behind him.

“Help, Hee Sun? Your Donghae oppa isn’t helping you. He’s giving himself up for you along with all of his dreams,” Eunhyuk said tilting his head up to the sky.

Hee Sun didn’t say anything.

“Hee Sun-ah,” Eunhyuk started, “do you know that you’re tearing apart the sky and the earth?”

“What?”

“Your Donghae oppa was in love,” Eunhyuk told.

“My oppa?”

Eunhyuk heaved a loud sigh, “What the two of you did…no, what he did for you tonight was the most foolish I’ve ever seen from someone. Your Donghae oppa’s bound to be sad forever.”

Hee Sun stared at him without a word.

“Even if your Donghae oppa won’t be here forever, I will because I’ll stand as your brother Hee Sun. And because of this I can’t quite forgive you or agree that you’re doing the right thing,” Eunhyuk informed.

With that he turned around to head back toward his room.

/////

Victoria got up from where she’d been sitting in the dark when she saw lights flash into her driveway. Walking toward the oval window she recognized Donghae’s figure walking toward her door then paused. He stopped for a long time that she could actually hear her own heart beat in her own home. The ringing of her phone made her jump and she didn’t answer it immediately but just stared at it. Finally picking it up she answered.

“It’s me.” he answered.

“I know.” Victoria glanced at the door and walked toward it suddenly leaning against it. He was just outside her door, yet instead of asking to come in he was calling…

“Were you sleeping?”

Victoria pressed her lips together feeling her heart become heavy, “Yea.”

“Then I’ll just tell you.” he said.  

Victoria felt her heart thud painfully. She waited for him to go on.

“Lets end it here,” he told. “I’m sorry.”

Taking the phone away from her ear Victoria hung up and slid against the door to the ground. For once she was glad she’d turned off all the lights because the darkness seemed more welcoming to her despair. She didn’t cry, she didn’t want to admit that she wanted to cry.

/////

Donghae leaned his left arm against the door slightly turning to look in through the oval window. All the lights were off. Maybe he shouldn’t have woken her up after all.


***Donghae got onto his knees 0.0 Can you feel Eunhyuk's shock from witnessing such a scene? Eunhyuks "The Sky and the Earth" xD a little riddle I stole from Kubo Tite :) And Eunhyuk tries to tell Donghae off, but yes the story is taking a turn now, I'll update again a few hours!