Memory 62

You Said Remember Me

/////

Donghae never minded turning the lights on when he entered the summer house. The darkness better suited his mood. Going into the kitchen he poured himself a cup of water and set it on the table making his way to his bedroom.

Eunhyuk was beginning to drive him crazy. Why…what need was there for Eunhyuk to feel so awful about Hee Sun when it was clearly his own decision to go to her himself? Donghae lied back on his bed glancing at his desk then got up. The framed photo he had kept of him and Victoria caught his eye. Guilt flooded his veins as he reached for the photo.

“What can I do?” he asked. “Would you listen to me if you saw me again?”

Donghae slid onto the ground beside his bed. He missed her…

/////

Victoria finally became fully awake when she felt him fall against her. The shrieking of Melodix’s high pitched barking awoke her from her dreams just minutes earlier. Complete surprise washed over her when he suddenly fell forward. For a moment she became confused about who it was and why he was there. She didn’t miss his repeated apologies as well as the reek of alcohol coming off from him. After leaving him on the couch she quickly locked the door and the lights. She stared down at Eunhyuk for a while before glancing at his car in the driveway wondering if he was crazy. Heaving a sigh she turned away closing the door to her bedroom.

Awaking in the morning Victoria walked out of her bedroom stretching her arms out with  a yawn. Swinging her arms at her side she back walked to find Eunhyuk still knocked out on the couch. Tilting her head at him she wondered why he’d been drinking in the first place. Humming to herself she walked into the kitchen, debated to herself, then fried two eggs. When the table had been set she walked back to find him still sleeping.

Taking a seat on the couch to the right of the one he was occupying Victoria watched him. He slept so soundly. When he began moving Victoria quickly turned away and got up from where she was sitting. His eyes were a deep red when he opened them to look around.

“Eh? Wha…” he began as he sat up rubbing his head then scrunched his face in pain.

“Hangover?” she asked.

Eunhyuk quickly turned to see her crossed arm in front of him dressed in a long sleeve and sweats staring down at him. Immediately repositioning himself with eyes half close he looked up at her.

“What are you doing here?” he rubbed his face in the palm of his hand suddenly recalling swerving his car back into Seoul.

“Why are you asking me that?” she asked tilting her head at him.

Eunhyuk suddenly looked around, “Did something happen?”

She raised her eyebrow at him. “You want to eat something before I get you medicine?”

“Thanks,” he thanked after breakfast.

“Here,” Victoria told handing him a cup of water and a bottle of pain relief pills.

Her hands were still wet from washing dishes. She watched Eunhyuk swallow the pills and gulped down the water draining all the water.

“You didn’t look very depressed when you stopped by,” she commented, “what made you drink last night?”

“I just did,” he smiled at her.

Victoria looked at him suddenly losing her train of thoughts. There was something about him that was so very much like Donghae…

“Victoria?” he called raising an eyebrow.

Catching herself she turned away. “Shouldn’t you be heading back?”

“I should,” he got up from where he was sitting.

After bidding farewell to each other Victoria watched as he drove out from her driveway and onto the street. Turning around she grabbed the bottle of pills and the empty cup from the table. Walking into her room she returned to the dining room with her laptop and a large orange envelope. When she finally finished entering all the students’ grades she leaned back in her chair.

The fall semester wasn’t over yet. There were still two more months and more exams to come. Getting up from where she’d been sitting she glanced out the window at the clear ground. She’d finished raking one of the days when she returned home last week. The cold wind was coming by and winter was going to fall. Despite every other year she didn’t quite look forward to seeing snow fall. It would be one of the first years she’d have to spend Christmas alone.

/////

“Eunhyuk!” Hee Sun’s loud voice greeted him as he entered the house.

“Where did you go? Why didn’t you return last night?” his father questioned in his always rough voice.

Eunhyuk slipped his slippers on ignoring their calls to him.

“Eunhyuk,” his father called again.

Stopping in his tracks Eunhyuk turned to glance at them. “I was out. That’s all, but I’m back now.”

“Look at him…” his father began.

Eunhyuk heaved a sigh taking his jacket off and tossed it onto his bed as soon as he entered his bedroom. The door behind him opened and Hee Sun walked in.

“Where did you suddenly go?” asked Hee Sun.

Eunhyuk slightly turned his head back, “Seoul.”

“Seoul?” she repeated. “Did you spend the night there?”

“Yea.” Eunhyuk replied. “Can you go out? I want to take a shower.”

Hee Sun stared back at him, nodded, then walked out closing the door after her. Everything he’d told Donghae last night still stood so clear in his memory. Rubbing his head he grabbed a towel and walked into the bathroom closing the door after him.

/////

“Oppa, Eunhyuk’s been upset lately, hasn’t he?” asked Hee Sun when Donghae came to a red light.

“No he’s not,” Donghae lied watching the people before them scurry to get across the street before the lights would turn green.

“I know he’s been unhappy.”

“He’ll get better,” Donghae assured stepping on the accelerator.

When he drove around the corner Victoria drove pass them in her car. Turning his head he stared as her car disappeared among traffic. It had been two long weeks since he’d last seen her. He couldn’t even get to see her well. After dropping Hee Sun off at the dorm Donghae drove around circling the psychology department, but never went in. He was nervous to see her and he wasn’t sure how she’d react toward him, so he’d rather not find out.

/////

Victoria was just heading out of the psychology department with books in hand when she recognized a car driving pass the building. Just recognizing the car made her heart skip a beat, but she quickly reminded herself not to be anxious. Hee Sun would be back on campus, of course, because it was a Monday after all. If Eunhyuk wasn’t bringing her back then who other than Donghae would? Taking a breath Victoria crossed the street to her first lecture that morning.

After her first afternoon class Victoria headed back to her office. But she paused when she saw Eunhyuk pacing back and forth staring up at the tall building. When she neared him he turned with a welcoming smile on his face.

“Afternoon.” he waved when she stopped before him.

“What are you doing here?” she wondered.

“Stopping by because I felt like it.”

“Don’t you work?”

“Well, yea. I begged the boss for a two hour today.” He smiled.

“Is that possible?”

“I’m just lucky because my boss is my uncle. Anyway, this is the psychology department? I had trouble finding it earlier,” Eunhyuk told turning to look at the handsome building.

“Why…are you hanging around so often?” Victoria asked. “Donghae…didn’t ask you to, right?”

“No way,” Eunhyuk quickly denied. “Truth be told I just want to be friends.”

“Did he tell you to use this ‘Follow me around’ method?” Victoria asked half sarcastically as she walked down the hallway with him on her tail.

“Follow around?” Eunhyuk asked. “I don’t follow anyone, it’s just I end up wherever.”

“What difference does that make?” Victoria asked.

“I’m not sure. I forgot what we were talking about.”

Victoria turned to frown at him before continuing on. “Do you want to go buy a sandwich? I don’t feel like stepping out of the office today.”

“If you give me money,” he told holding his hand out then pulled it back, “I’m just kidding. This one’s on me since I’m bothering you today.”

Victoria watched him disappear down the hallway suddenly wondering if he’d be able to find his way back. He was suddenly beginning to appear often, though she didn’t mind. He probably felt guilty about Hee Sun because hearing his sad apologies when he was drunk already told her how he felt. She might as well be nice to him, after all he did beat up the guy that made his step sister suffer. One of the moments Victoria had witnessed that she was sure she wouldn’t forget.