Memory 57

You Said Remember Me

/////

Victoria sat on the ground listening to the waves of the river run against the shore as if it were music. After Eunhyuk had walked away she hadn’t found the strength to head back yet. Staying in the cold right then seemed a better option than heading back to her house and being alone. Her mind was still and blank but her heart was a different story. It throbbed a little as if it were feeling physical pain.

About half an hour her phone began to ring. Taking it out from her pocket she glanced at who it was that was calling her. Staring at her phone with bitter anger she grabbed the phone battery and took it out. Why should she answer? Why was he suddenly calling her? Throwing her phone into her bag Victoria turned to stare at the dark, scary looking river.

“In Seol…are you watching me?” she asked aloud.

The music of silence filled her ears. Not a single bird, insect, or human was in sight. She was totally alone. The cold breeze came back and forth ruffling her loose hair, blowing against her face. After what seemed like a long time an engine to a car from behind her made her turn around. The door opened and someone stepped out then closed the door.

“You’re still here?” it was Eunhyuk.

Victoria turned back toward the waves as if he’d never come back.

“Come on, I’ll give you a ride back,” he offered.

Victoria didn’t reply and when she didn’t he walked over and tried pulling her up by the arm. Victoria pulled herself back aggressively.

“What do you want!” she asked.

“Don’t tell me you’re going to stay here all night.”

She didn’t reply.

“Then should I also stay here all night?”

Victoria turned her head away from him.

“Do you want to go boxing?” he asked.

Victoria turned to look at him and Eunhyuk couldn’t help but laugh.

“You’re an aggressive one, aren’t you? But too bad, the gym’s probably closed by now,” he told. “You want to go take a walk or find some food to eat?”

Victoria turned away from him again, “Do you have to be such a bother?” It reminded her of when Donghae always followed her around or always came knocking on her door or always appeared at the hospital when he was unwelcome. But she was thankful for his presence.

“Do you want to go?”

“I brought my own car.” she said.

“Then I can give you a ride back.” he offered.

Victoria remained silent for a minute then turned to him, “You want to buy me something to eat?”

When Victoria entered his car Eunhyuk turned around when he thought he heard a stick break from somewhere within the darkness. Letting his eyes glance around he saw no one. Getting inside his car he made sure to lock all doors before driving off.

They finally found an almost empty shop to eat about 15 minutes later. Eunhyuk remained seated to the right watching her eat slowly. It was as if she weren’t even hungry at all. After he watched her drive off in her own car he finally made the drive back home then came back early in the morning. Curious about how she was doing Eunhyuk stopped by her house to see her locking the door with a bouquet of flowers in her hand.

“Where are you going?” Eunhyuk asked walking toward her.

Victoria paused for a bit. “To see Han In Seol.”

“Han In Seol?” he repeated.

Victoria just nodded before she unlocked her car, “You should drive back. I won’t be around the whole day.”

With just that she made her way onto the street and disappeared within traffic.

Returning to his car he drove toward the dorm where Hee Sun was waiting for him. Walking toward her he handed her a small bag.

“It’s some of mom’s medications, it’ll help make you feel better,” Eunhyuk explained.

Hee Sun took it from him with a weak thanks before turning away and heading back in. He watched her go feeling sort of sad and empty. There was no way she’d want to receive comfort from him yet, but she’d have to rely on him for anything else she needed. Turning around he drove toward Donghae’s house to find him just walking toward his car, but he stopped when he noticed Eunhyuk. His face…looked a bit tired.

“You want to talk?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I was heading out.” Donghae replied plainly.

“Where to?”

“I was planning to talk to Victoria.”

“She’s not in.” Eunhyuk told.

Donghae’s eyes finally landed on his face, “Why would you know?”

Eunhyuk eyed Donghae in return, “You, stop seeing Hee Sun. Get your senses back, Donghae. Know who’s waiting for you because if you’re being like this you’re hurting her. Don’t go to Hee Sun because she’s Hee Sun, because she wants you to take responsibility for the baby. Do you get me?”

The wind whistled between them and Donghae’s blank stare didn’t tell him anything. He felt like he was losing touch with his friend. It felt like Donghae was floating somewhere beyond his reach.

“Hae, Hee Sun’s my sister. I’ll watch her, I don’t need you to worry for her,” Eunhyuk tried again, “go do what you have to do. I don’t want to see you sorry later.” Silence again. “Han In Seol, she said she was going to go see him. You know where he is, right?”

Donghae’s eyes finally showed some life before he shot Eunhyuk a small smile.

/////

Girls opened their doors to watch the two police officers walk down the hallway. Their every step left behind a loud sound that penetrated the very still air in the early morning. Every pair of eyes watched curiously wondering who had smoked or maybe brought drugs into the dormitory. They finally stopped at the end of the hallway and knocked on the oor.

“What is it?” a tired voice asked opening the door.

Surprise filled her face and her eyes went wide before she stepped aside greeting the officer.

“Kim In Sook?” he asked.

“Not me,” she shook her fuzzy head. “Over there.” she pointed to the hung over girl lying on her bed to the left of the room.

The room mate watched as the police officer walked toward her pulling her off the bed.

“Eh? What’s going on? Who’re you?” In Sook asked sleepily. “Let me go, that tickles.”

“We’ve been called to take you to the station for assault.” the police ordered.

“Huh? I didn’t do anything. Who told on me!” In Sook asked trying to pull back, but her drunk body didn’t listen as he pulled her out from the room. “Let me go! What’s going on?! Girls! Help me!” she screamed and wailed as the police took her down the stairs.

“What happened?”

“What did she do?”

“Maybe she’s finally been caught for ion.”

The girls snickered to each other leaving an air of curiosity to fill the place In Sook had left.

/////

It would be the first day Victoria had cancelled classes for such personal reasons. She couldn’t teach with her mind in a trance. She couldn’t get herself to feel any better but at least she’d done one thing that would benefit the pregnant girl, and that would benefit her as well. There was no reason to feel guilty toward Hee Sun, but it was only because she was close to Donghae. And helping her would help Donghae, and that was the only reason why Victoria had called the Dean early in the morning. Victoria often liked bragging about her good memory but this time around she was only glad to have a good memory. Kim In Sook, that culprit’s name stood so clear to her memory.

Hee Sun with no father for the baby…Victoria understood that burden. But she didn’t quite feel sympathy for the girl if she were to take Donghae. Victoria shook her head to free her thoughts. She didn’t want to think of Hee Sun or Donghae anymore. She only wanted to take a stroll around and feel better.

She drove her car into the cemetery. Since when had she last visited? Since when had she stopped buying flowers for her beloved? Parking her car not too far away Victoria headed down the small trail and found In Seol’s grave surrounded by leaves. Setting the flowers down beside his grave she cleared the leaves away to make sure that the gravestone was still shiny. Sitting back she smiled at him running her hands along the side of the stone.

People often stared at her when she visited every day in the summer and the stone as if someone were there. Song Philip had accompanied her a few times and found her gestures a bit disturbing, but didn’t say anything. She didn’t care what they thought, though. When In Seol was still alive she used to run her hand over the side of his smooth face every so often. And when he was on the hospital bed she called to him, held his hand, and ran her hand along his fine hair. She was crazy, she had to admit she was crazy.

For what felt like a long time she just sat there staring at the gravestone. Her mind empty but full of longing for his physical self. When it felt like the sun was hanging low in the sky she finally got up feeling weak at her knees, but when she turned she felt as if the world stopped spinning. The wind didn’t rustle her hair and the leaves didn’t fly her way. She only stared back at Donghae, who had been standing there for…how long?


***In Sook is gone! Victoria sees similarities between Eunhyuk and Donghae, but do they bring her the same feeling? And this time Eunhyuk is warning Donghae to stop worrying about Hee Sun and go back to who he was before, but will Donghae be successful in talking to Victoria at the graveyard?