Memory 83

You Said Remember Me

Victoria turned to look at him before unlocking her door. “Come in then.”

Heechul glanced around her home to find that things were still the same as they had been before. The dog came out running at him uninvitingly.

“Hold on a minute,” Victoria told him while she took Melodix out and didn’t return until 5 minutes later. “Do you want anything to drink?”

“No,” he rejected, “just sit down.”

“Why? What do you want to talk about?” asked Victoria.

“You…are you planning to see anyone?”

Victoria just stared at him.

“You know you’ve turned me down quite a few times,” Heechul said. “Are you planning to turn me down again?”

Victoria understood what he was saying. “Yes.”

“Why? Is there something about me you don’t like?”

“You’re fine Heechul, you’re a nice guy.”

“Nice guy?” he repeated hurt.

Victoria just stared at him from where she stood. “I don’t really have anything to say.”

“But you aren’t seeing anyone right? Then can’t you give me a chance?” he asked.

“I’m sorry Heechul.” The words he’d heard countless times. “You came late this time.”

Heechul felt his eyes shift from the ground to her face. “Wait…what do you mean?”

“There’s already someone.”

When Heechul stepped out of her apartment he turned to look back. “Lee Donghae? You jerk.”

/////

After taking a walk through the dorms Donghae stared at the area where the photo had been taken. Bad memories. Victoria’s past were all full of bad memories. He felt a desire to change all that.

They ate dinner and half an hour later he was riding a taxi back to the hotel.

“Can I ask you a question?” asked Lee Wei.

“Go ahead.”

“Do you know that girl personally?” Lee Wei asked. “The girl in the picture.”

Donghae turned to look at him, “I know her.”

Lee Wei was silent before he nodded finally deciding that he wouldn't ask anymore, “Then I’ll meet you at the train station tomorrow?”

Donghae nodded before he left the car and headed up to his hotel room. Once he was in he made a phone call back to the office.

“Chief Kang,” Donghae said, “search for a Ren Gei. Background profile check and everything.”

After hanging up Donghae made a call to Eunhyuk.

“Ah…Donghae.” Eunhyuk answered. “How’s it going over there?”

“Is Victoria ok? Are you with her? Where is she?”

“You sound troubled,” Eunhyuk commented, “I dropped her off at home a few hours ago. Someone was waiting for her though.”

“Someone? Who?”

Hearing the strange tone in Donghae’s voice Eunhyuk quickly replied, “That criminal photographer.”

“Kim Heechul?” Donghae exclaimed.

“Did you find out something bad?” Eunhyuk asked. “You don’t sound too good.”

“Hyuk, make sure no one goes near her.” Donghae ordered. “I don’t want anyone with her.”

Eunhyuk hesitated, “Sure.”

“I’m coming back tomorrow night, pick me up at the airport then.”

“Ok.” Eunhyuk replied before hanging up.

Donghae was in a hurry to go back to Seoul, but he couldn’t leave until he verified the fact that Ren Gei was no longer in China.

/////

Heechul walked in to his office early in the morning. Walking pass the front desk he came to an immediate stop.

“Heechul, Chief Kang wants to see you.”

Heechul opened the door and closed it behind him. Chief Kang was waiting for him.

“Why would you have an errand for me when Lee Donghae is around?” Heechul questioned walking in.

“Lee Donghae isn’t around right now,” Chief Kang replied. “He’s investigating a case in China right now.”    

“What? China?” he repeated.

“This is serious,” Chief Kang said, “and urgent and I need you to keep it a secret from authorities. Besides being a photographer you’re the best one at searching for clues, aren’t you?”

Heechul eyed the chief with a small frown. “I haven’t done it in a long time.”

“I just need you to go there ahead of time to check things out and take a few pictures.  If anyone is in come straight back.”

“Explain to me what’s going on.” Heechul demanded.

Heechul entered his car a few minutes later with a deep frown burrowed across his face. He turned to stare at the expensive camera on the passenger’s seat he often carried everywhere with him.

Arriving downtown after getting trapped in traffic for almost 15 minutes he finally traced down the old apartment building. Walking out from the weeded parking lot with the camera string around his neck he found a small narrow alley with graffiti lining the walls, marks from gangs. The building was made of ugly gray concrete full with litter on the ground. A big green dumpster full of trash sat to his right. He couldn’t help but make a face at the light odor that mixed with the air.

Before him was a three step staircase and a black door. Heechul glanced up at the 6 story building and let his eyes land on every balcony with rusted railings. How old was that place?

Pulling the heavy door open he was greeted by an empty white hallway. Pale green doors lined both sides of the hallway with black numbers nailed onto each door. The sight of it gave him a ghostly feel. His light steps resonated throughout the hallway. As he walked pass each door to find the elevator or stairs he could hear the TV blaring or people talking loudly in each room. Finally at the end of the hallway he came across the elevator right next to the stairs.

“Stairs or elevators Heechul?” he asked himself. “Lets go elevator.”

He pressed the button and waited for a long time before the door finally opened. Stepping in the light flickered endlessly threatening to go out on him. Sighing he pressed the 4th floor button and waited for the door to close. No radio or music played from the intercom. He suddenly thought of the movies where the ghost suddenly appeared behind the person in the elevator. Feeling the chills Heechul glanced back to see that he was alone while the light blinked on and off. When the door finally opened he met two woman who smiled at him before he walked out.

The hallway of the fourth floor was exactly like the one downstairs. Long, narrow, and musty. Walking pass the doors he searched for room 423. Odd number rooms were on the right so he only looked for the room on the left side of the hallway. He finally found the room midway. At first Heechul searched for the doorbell but found out later that there was no such thing as a doorbell in that building. Almost laughing at himself Heechul knocked on the door again and again but no one answered.

“Did Chief Kang give me the wrong address?” he wondered.

“What are you doing?” a voice asked.

Turning around surprised he saw a small man standing in front of a door diagonally from where he was.

“Do you know if the person who lives here is in?” Heechul asked.

The old man frowned in the old trousers he was wearing, “He hasn’t come back at all since the beginning of this month.”

“Oh…”

The old man glared at him, “If you don’t mind please leave then. You were being a bit loud.”

He closed the door after him when he walked back into his apartment.

“Well, I’m sorry,” Heechul apologized sarcastically and glanced at the numbers hanging on the door. “What do I do now?”


***A/N: When I first started the story I was planning to give Heechul a big role in the story, but as you know whenever you write things change somehow and that's what happened in my case. Heechul's roles thinned out in my mind and now he's just an extra. I know I didn't make it very clear but I'll explain what Chief Kang has asked Heechul to do. Chief Kang has asked Heechul to go investigate the stalker's apartment to find if there is anything suspicious (such as if the stalker is a murderer, or if he is just a dangerously obssessive person). Chief Kang's main goal is to find out if their stalker is really inhabiting the apartment that he assumes Ren Gei is living in, though he hasn't been very clear to Heechul about why he wants him to go there in the first place. And note that when Chief Kang says: "Besides being a photographer you’re the best one at searching for clues, aren’t you?” It tells you that Heechul used to be a criminal investigator before he changed jobs to become a criminal photographer.