Memory 74

You Said Remember Me

“Hee Sun’s not feeling well. Lets head back,” her father announced.

Donghae didn’t turn to look at anyone but only heard their footsteps go pass him and the car doors close. He felt empty. Was Victoria really not going to give him any of her attention? Was she not going to look at him in the eye at all? Had that one night limit been it? He couldn’t believe that she was seeing Eunhyuk…it was impossible. She couldn’t go…she just couldn’t go.

/////

Eunhyuk got into his car silently and Victoria got in after him just as silently. Donghae took a big role in their lives. Everything he did and everything he said would always take an effect on their lives. It was a simple fact he’d known since…forever. He drove for a bit and stopped by the side of the street. No music blared in the car but their breathing.

“Should we go?” he asked gently gripping onto the steering wheel. “Do you still want to see him? If we go…he’s going to be there.”

Victoria didn’t say anything.

“He can’t leave you even when he’s done it.” Eunhyuk told. “This is your choice. It’s my home, I’m going to need to head back whether I want to or not.”

“You don’t want me to go…but I feel like I need to go.” Victoria stated. “We can’t play smart all the time because even right now I don’t know what to do.”

“Don’t take my parents as your responsibility,” Eunhyuk warned, “don’t be Donghae…please.”

Victoria looked at him.

“I’ll go with you.” she told. “That’s it. I won’t ask for you to shield me.”

Gently gritting both his teeth together he started the car again and they were off.

As always they entered through the back door and once they were in they were greeted by Eunhyuk’s parents. They were led into a warm room with a small fireplace. It seemed sort of funny to see the small fireplace flickering with the fire during fall. When Victoria turned toward the velvet couches she finally saw why. Hee Sun was half lying down with a blanket over her to keep her warm from sickness. Donghae was nowhere in sight.

“Come sit down, make yourself comfortable,” Eunhyuk’s father invited.

Victoria nodded with a smile and followed Eunhyuk to one of the chairs next to the one Hee Sun was lying on. When they sat down Donghae finally walked through the door with a tray. She watched him set it down on the dark coffee table in between the couches then take the warm cup of herbal medicine before heading over to Hee Sun. During that moment when he held Hee Sun’s head in his arm the dark walls became more and more visible to her. The ancient painting next to the chimney seemed to move back and forth.

“How old are you?” Eunhyuk’s mother asked sitting down across from them.

“24.” Victoria replied.

“Ah…then that’s perfect!” she slapped her hands together with a wide smile. “Eunhyuk is just a year older! How long did you say you two were seeing each other?”

From the corner of their eyes they saw Donghae sat the cup back onto the tray and turned to face them with piercing eyes.

“Just a few months,” Eunhyuk replied. “Can we talk about something else?”

“You don’t need to be shy about it Hyukie,” his mother cooed.

Victoria watched as Eunhyuk turned away from his parents’ eyes then wondered how she could make the situation better.

“Are you two just dating for fun or are you dating for marriage?” his mother pressed on.

Victoria felt her eyebrow go up in surprise.

“Marriage?” Hee Sun finally spoke up, however it was as if they never heard her at all.

“I mean you’re not at that young age anymore. I really like Victoria, that’s all, so Eunhyuk if you lose her you’re never going to find anyone like her.” his mother continued.

Donghae burrowed his eyebrows a little. The feelings that would be sliding through him…Victoria didn’t want to think about it. If someone had talked to Donghae about his marriage to Hee Sun in front of her she knew how awful it’d feel. He didn’t have to let it show on his face, but it was there…so clearly visible-the pain sketched on his expression. Victoria hadn’t realized that she’d been staring at Donghae. When she turned she and Eunhyuk glanced at each other.

“You’re saying Eunhyuk can marry her?” Hee Sun suddenly sat up seeming more energized all of a sudden.

“Yes, of course,” his mother replied.

Hee Sun blinked a couple of times then gasped in the sort of way one does when they can’t believe something they’ve just heard. “If Eunhyuk can marry her then oppa can marry me!”

“Hee Sun,” her father warned, “don’t be childish.”

“How is that childish?!” she exclaimed. “Then would you rather oppa marry Victoria?!”

Eunhyuk, Donghae, and Victoria all turned to look at the young girl with the blanket over her.

“Hee Sun, why are you speaking like this?” asked her mother.

Hee Sun glanced from Donghae to Victoria with unexplainable anger.

“Donghae and I were never that close,” Victoria told without hesitating, “we were only acquainted through business. Eunhyuk…I actually feel something for him so it’s different.”

When she slid her arm around Eunhyuk’s she wasn’t surprised when he didn’t even turn to look at her. They…just had to play it out well. The mess that Donghae had created they just had to play along well.  

Hee Sun’s stare became menacing before she got up angrily walking away.

“Hee Sun! Hee Sun-ah!” her mother screamed then turned back to Victoria. “I’m so sorry about this. I’ll go after her.”

After Eunhyuk’s mother left Donghae, Eunhyuk, Victoria, and Eunhyuk’s father were left in silence. Awkward silence because none of them were able to explain in detail what just happened floated between them.

“It feels like it’s going to be a long night. I’m sorry about this and Hee Sun. If you’re tired please go ahead. Eunhyuk will take you home,” Eunhyuk’s father said. “Have a good night.”

When he left Donghae was the first to get up from where he was. Victoria slowly turned and looked up at him.

“Let go of him and lets go,” he said.

Finally realizing her arm was still around Eunhyuk’s she just stared up at Donghae without removing her arm.

“No.” Victoria replied solidly.

“What?” Donghae asked.

“Don’t do this here,” Victoria told, “go be with Hee Sun.”

Donghae just stared at her silently.

Victoria ran her thoughts quickly. She had to think of something to say that would instigate him and make him walk away.

“Hyuk, get up,” Donghae told.

Victoria held her grip on Eunhyuk quickly saying, “Isn’t it because of you we’re here? That Eunhyuk and I are together? If you knew you were going to be this angry why’d you do it in the first place? Please…just go be with Hee Sun. Don’t make it harder than it is. Just go…Donghae.”

Victoria waited for him to walk away, but he didn’t. In the end she got up pulling Eunhyuk after her and together they walked out the door.

After driving to a secluded area Victoria found an isolated bench and sat down. It was a blank snowstorm and she couldn’t find her way out. Donghae was keeping her trapped with him. She finally awoke from her thoughts when she felt something warm around her. Turning to look up she saw Eunhyuk slipping a sweater around her before taking a seat next to her.

“I didn’t shield you,” he told. “But still, don’t think too much about it.”

Victoria turned her head down and smiled playing with her hands. “What your mother said…if we do it will all this end?”

“It’s…not you,” Eunhyuk told.

“I…messed up tonight, didn’t I?” Victoria asked after an overwhelming silence. “To him…I shouldn’t have said that.”

/////

Donghae walked toward her bedroom stopping to look in first. Her mother was sitting by her bedside singing a song to her. Hee Sun was too young a girl, still like a kid. After some 10 minutes her mother finally walked out pausing abruptly when she saw him.

“You gave me a scare,” she said putting her hand to her chest.

“Sorry,” he apologized.

“Did Victoria leave yet?” she asked.

The image of Victoria walking out leading Eunhyuk by the hand haunted his memory.

“They left,” Donghae replied monotonously.

Eunhyuk’s mother nodded then glanced back into the bedroom, “She’s calmed down a little. It might do her some good if you speak with her.”

Donghae nodded and watched as Eunhyuk’s mother walked away first before walking into the bedroom and taking a seat on the chair by the bed. Hee Sun opened her eyes slowly and glanced at him. The lamp by the bedside table showed her tired face and gloomy eyes when she saw him.

“If you meant it I’ll really do it,” Donghae said.

“Oppa,” she said weakly in an upset manner.

“I don’t know what to say,” Donghae told, “that will make you cheer up. I know whatever I do or say will always upset you. Is it really worth it for you to be like this when you always end up crying over me?”   


***I'm back! ^^ Thanks to Izzy I realize I didn't make a part very clear. The dialogue between Donghae and Hee Sun at the end is about her feelings. Remember when Hee Sun asks, “Then would you rather oppa marry Victoria?!” Donghae is saying that if she meant it he'll do it, but obviously you know Hee Sun didn't mean what she said. Then Donghae is asking her is it worth it for her to love him so much when all she gets in return is hurt.