Memory 54

You Said Remember Me

/////

Victoria awoke when Melodix began barking crazily. Turning over in bed she stuck her head under the pillow, but the dog’s barking didn’t fade. Within a second her phone began to ring and she reached for it lazily answering, “Hello?”

“Open the door.”

Sitting abruptly in bed with her eyes half closed she smoothed back her hair, tied it, and got off the bed walking toward the door in her pjs.

“Why are you still sleeping, sleepy head?” he asked with a smile across his face.

“What’s wrong with you? Why are you here so early in the morning?” she asked rubbing the back of her head.

“Want to have breakfast together?” he asked walking in.

“Huh?” Victoria turned around to watch him as Melodix came running out from the room.

“You big girl!” he ignored her and picked up the toy poodle.

Frowning at him Victoria walked back into her bedroom to lie back down on the bed. Just when she got under the blankets she heard footsteps enter her bedroom. Burying her head under her arm she closed her eyes.

“What are you doing? Get up.” Donghae called.

“5 more minutes.” she muttered sleepily.

“It’s already 7 in the morning.”

“So?”

“Make some breakfast.”

“You do it. You know where everything is.”

“But I want you to make breakfast.”

“Why are you telling me to do it when you know how to. Leave me alone.” Victoria moved closer toward the wall and waited for him to pull the blanket off. When nothing happened she pulled the covers off and turned to see no one standing in the room. “Is he really making breakfast?”

Getting off the bed she walked out to see Melodix running out in the front yard with Donghae sitting on the steps watching her cozily.

“Hey! Aren’t you supposed to be making breakfast?” she called pointing to him.

He turned around with a wide smile, “So you’re finally up?”

After calling Melodix back into the house and feeding her Victoria finally started on breakfast.

“You should cook everyday, so lets not eat out anymore.”

She turned around from the stove to stare at him. “Is something wrong with you?”

“Hmmm….let me think…no.”

She frowned at him, “Do you want to tell me what happened yesterday? I thought you were possessed when you came over.”

“Yea, I was possessed by a demon.”

“Are you stupid? Coming over in the middle of the night like that.”

“Because I was crazy.”

“Crazy?”

“I just wanted to see you.”

Putting the bowl of soup onto the table Victoria sat down, “Since you seem like you were so troubled I won’t bother you about what happened then.” Yet, she still felt an urge to ask about why he hadn’t shown up for their date. Victoria pressed her lips together in silence as she watched him eat.

After watching him drive off Victoria got into her own car and made her way to work. That was the first day he didn’t make his way back to take her out for lunch. She found herself staring at the door every now and then waiting for him to appear. And after work she received no call from him. Even when she got home she stared at her phone intensely as if summoning him to call her.

“It looks like your someone isn’t coming today,” Victoria told looking Melodix.

/////

Hee Sun hurried out the doors and down the stairs to see Donghae’s back facing her.

“Oppa.” she called.

“Hee Sun,” he turned around with a small smile on his face. “Lets go.”

“But where are we going?”

“You haven’t eaten lunch, right?”

“No.”

“Then lets go.” Donghae ran to the other side of the door and opened it for her.

She glanced at him wondering if something was wrong with him.

“Oppa.”

“You want me to help you, right? I can’t do much but take care of you right now,” he told. “You do want me to take care of you, right?”

Hee Sun smiled childishly, “Then lets go eat something good ok?”

Donghae smiled and nodded.

He didn’t go back the next day or the next. The only reason why Hee Sun had chosen to go to him was very clear. But he didn’t have an answer for her yet. His only duty was to make sure she stayed healthy and took care of herself. And he knew that he didn’t have the right to remain silent toward Victoria, it was one of the first times he’d made the worst decision in his life.

/////

Victoria jumped up from where she’d been sitting and ran to the table to answer her phone.

“Hello?” she answered excitedly.

“It’s me, Heechul.”

“Oh, Heechul…”

“I’m stopping by in Seoul today. If you aren’t doing anything you want to go to the movies?”

“I already have something planned today.” she lied.

“Oh…ok. Then next time?”

“Next time, for sure.” After hanging up Victoria continued to stare at her cell phone. She hadn’t kept any of her promises to him. But she only wanted a call from him. If he would just return her calls she would feel better. Or maybe she should stop by his house…yes maybe she’d do just that. Why hadn’t she thought of that sooner?

/////

His doorbell rang two times before he finally got up from where he was sitting to answer the door. He felt indifferent when he saw who was standing there.

“Oppa!” Hee Sun gleamed in delight. “I brought some fruits for you.”

“What are you doing here?” he asked standing in the middle of his doorway.

“Aren’t you going to let me in?” she asked raising her eyebrow.

Hesitantly he made way for her to come into the summer house. When he turned around after closing the door he found her looking around as if she’d never been there before.

“Wow, oppa, you really keep this place clean,” she commented spinning around before she walked into the kitchen. “Let me cut up some of these fruits for you.”

Standing from where he was he watched as she grabbed a cutting board and a knife. Images of Victoria cooking for him appeared in his mind before he woke up from his illusion.

Hurrying forward he took the knife from her and set it down on the cutting board, “Never mind, Hee Sun. I’ll do it myself when I want to eat them. Thanks for getting them though.”

“What’s wrong oppa? You don’t seem happy to see me. Did I interrupt you or something?” she asked turning to face him.

He felt awful for some reason.

“Oppa,” she began, “I’m going home today. Do you want to come with me and Hyukjae?”

“No,” he shook his head pushing her toward the door. “I’m a little busy right now.” He opened the door and said, “You should go back. Hyuk might be waiting for you already.”

“I told him to come an hour later because I wanted to visit you.”

“Do you want me to drive you back?” Donghae asked.

“No. I can manage on my own. Thanks oppa.” Hee Sun hesitated then hugged him. “You definitely made me feel better this past week. I’ll be sure to eat a lot when I go home.” After waving to him she turned around almost skipping toward the cab waiting for her.

Donghae turned around to head back inside then paused and turned around. At the corner of his eye he noticed someone pull the hood of her sweater over her head before making her way back to the car. Slipping his shoes on he made a run out to recognize Victoria’s car starting. Feeling his heart leap forward he made a dash toward the car knocking on the driver’s window. She didn’t turn to look at him but even if she didn’t, he recognized her.

“Victoria! Open the car!” he called.