Chapter 2

Packs and Clans

Kourtney couldn't believe that she had actually decided to go with complete strangers, and to their house as well! While they had saved her life from those creeps, she still didn't completely trust them. With the crappy life she'd had so far, trust was not in her vocabulary. Nontheless, she went with her "saviors" as the led her to their home. 

Baekhyun was very kind, trying to make conversation as they walked, but Kourtney only gave short responses, leaving awkward silences, so he ended up just running ahead to converse with Chen. Despite Chen being cold and mean eariler, his persona changed cheerful and almost playful around Baekhyun. Kourtney couldn't help but smile as she watched them. They look like brothers, like a family. Her smile dropped. Wonder how that feels like.

"You okay, sweetie?" Kourtney looked to see Sara giving her a worried look. "Is something troubling you?"

Kourtney shook her head. "It's nothing." She sighed. "I'm just relieved to be alive."

"It was really close." Sara shuddered. "I hate to think what would've happened to you had we not been around."

Kourtney smiled, deciding that she liked Sara a lot. "Thanks for saving me. I really appreciate it."

"Just doing the right thing." Sara smiled. "I'm sure anyone else would have done the same."

Would they? Kourtney wasn't sure anyone would have been able to save her. She was extremeply lucky that Sara and the others had been around. If not...she'd be dead right now.

"Here were are!" Baekhyun announced. "Home sweet home!"

Their "home" was a small, two-story house that looked, well...rundown. Shingles were falling off, paint was peeling off, and the front yard was almost bare, some spots in the grass a light brown instead of green. Kourtney remembered Baekhyun telling her that they had a big family. While she didn't know exactly how many was in their family, she wondered how a big family managed to fit in the small house. 

She cautiously followed Sara as they headed inside. Baekhyun opened the door, stepping inside, closely followed by Chen.

"We're home!" He called out. 

"Hey! You guys are late!" Kourtney heard someone, a boy, shout as she stepped inside with Sara. She looked to see a boy with tan skin and dark brown hair. He noticed Kourtney and tilted his head to the side. "Whose she?"

"She's staying here for the night," Baekhyun explained. "As for why we're late, we saved her from some vam-uh...I mean some creeps."

"Why didn't you just take her home?" A girl with long black hair asked. She moved to the tain skinned boy's side, who wrapped an arm around her waist.

Baekhyun took a deep breath. "Well, see, she couldn't take the bus home cause the last pick-up was at 8:30 and she got off work at 10, so then she had to walk home. It would have taken her a whole hour to walk back to her home and we didn't want to risk her getting attacked again so we offered to bring her here since it was only ten mintues away. That way, she wouldn't have to walk for an hour and maybe get attacked-"

"Okay, okay," The girl held her arms up. "We get it." She looked over to Kourtney, chuckling. "My name's Hana and this is my ma-uh, boyfriend, Kai." she patted the top of Kai's head, who leaned in to peck her on the cheek.

Kourtney nodded. "Nice to meet you. My name's Kourtney."

"So, she's staying for the night?" A tall boy with large ears and brown hair asked, strolling over. 

"Yup!" Baekhyun replied. "Then we'll take her home tomorrow."

The boy nodded, a huge grin on his face. "Hi! My names Chanyeol!"

Kourtney smiled. "Hi, Chanyeol. I'm Kourtney."

Two more boys walked over, one of them short with heart shaped lips and dark brown hair, the other tall with very light blonde hair. "Are you hungry, Kourtney?" The one with heart shaped lips asked. "I can make you something."

Kourtney shook her head."Thanks, but I'm fine. I just ate a while ago."

He nodded. "Okay. My name's D.O by the way." He gestured to the tall one beside him. "This is Sehun. He's the youngest of us."

Sehun waved. "S'up?"

Baekhyun took charge introducing everybody else. 

"The boy over there with the blonde hair is Luhan," He said, gesturing to the couch. "The boy next to him with the light brown hair is Xiumin, and the girl with the red hair is Luhan's little sister and Xiumin's girlfriend, Luli." Luli waved to Kourtney, who waved back. "Tao's upstairs right now, probably with Kris. The boy idolizes him. Over there on the other couch is Lay, the one with the dimples and ginger hair, and Suho, the one with the reddish-brown hair. And of course you've met me, Sara, and Chen." 

Chen gave Kourtney a quick glare before moving to sit in a large recliner as Baekhyun snapped his fingers. "Oh! And Sara's Kris's wife!"

Kourtney looked over to Sara, who blushed and made her way upstairs. "I'll got get Kris."

"So..."Kourtney looked around. "You all live here?"

Baekhyun nodded. "Yup! Have for a while. Aside from Luhan and Luli, none of us are siblings. Kris and Sara just kind of took us all in when no one else would."

"Is Kris the oldest?" 

"Nope. Xiumin is. Both he and Luhan are 25, Kris and Suho are 24, Luli and Lay are 23, Sara's 22, Kai and Hana are 19, I'm 18, as well as Tao. You'll meet him in a bit. Chen, Chanyeol and D.O are all 17 and Sehun's 16. Me,Tao and Chen were the first ones to be taken in by Kris and Sara, then they took in Luhan and Luli. Not long after, Xiumin, Suho and Lay came along-"

"Alright, that's enough, Baekhyun," came a deep and commanding voice. Kourtney looked up to see Sara coming downstairs with two boys. Both were tall, one with red hair and the other with dark blonde hair which was shaved at the sides. 

Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry, Kris."

The boy with the dark blonde hair ruffled Baekhyun's hair as he walked by. "She's only staying for the night. No need to tell her our life story."

He stopped in front of Kourtney, Sara by his side. The other boy, who Kourtney guessed was Tao, went to sit on the armwrest of the recliner Chen sat in.

Kris eyed Kourtney curiously, eyes scaning her body. "What's your name?" He asked.

"Kourtney." she replied. "It's very nice to meet you. Thank you for letting me stay for the night. I really appreciate it."

Kris tilted his head to the side. "You smell human but there's something else there as well."

"Excuse me?"

Kris turned to his family, Kourtney trying to fathom what he just said. I smell human but there's something else? What's that supposed to mean?"

"I think we should tell her." Kris stated.

"Tell her what?" Tao asked.

"We should tell her the truth."

"WHAT?!" Chen erupted from his chair. "ARE YOU CRAZY, KRIS?!"

Sara moved to Chen, grabbing his wrist. "Do NOT speak to him that way, Chen! You know better!" she scolded.

"But he's being-"

"SHUT YOUR MOUTH CHEN!" Kris shouted, glaring at him. Chen's eyes widened in fear and he slowly sat back down. Kris took a deep breath, fingers pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Are you sure, Kris?" Xiumin asked. "You really want to tell her?"

He nodded. "Yes, I'm sure."

Kourtney looked around, very confused. "Tell me what?"

Kris turned to face Kourtney. 

"You're probably going to think it's crazy at first, but we'll be able to prove it to you." He said. "According to Sara, those three men who attacked you tonight were not normal humans." He paused for a second before continuing. "They were vampires. Rogue vampires to be more precise."

"Huh?" Kourtney thought she heard wrong. Vampires? There's no way.

She suddenly remembered the pale skin, red eyes, and fangs, as well as what she presumed were fangs about to pierce her neck. She thought she had imagined it, now this guy was telling her that they were in fact vampires?

"Vampires?"

Kris nodded. "And they are not the only race that exists." He gestured to him and his family. "Me, Sara, and every member of our family are different as well. We're all werewolves."