Chapter 15

Packs and Clans

Kourtney and the others spent the rest of the day at the mansion, finally heading back to the Clearing when the sun started to set. On the way, Kourtney couldn't stop thinking about what N had said. 

It is very possible that whatever is hidden inside you...is not human.

Kourtney wasn't sure it was possible. How could she not be human? Last she checked, she couldn't change into a wolf or run at a super fast speed. 

After arriving at the Clearing, Kourtney was still in a daze, questions running through her head.

Were my parents not human? Or maybe I'm a half-blood like April? Why can't I feel this magic inside me? Can the spell be broken?

"Kourtney? Hey, earth to Kourtney!"

Kourtney snapped out of her thoughts to see Baekhyun, who had a worried look on his face.

"Are you okay?"

Kourtney shrugged. "Just a lot on my mind."

"Thinking about what N said?"

Kourtney nodded. "Yeah."

Baekhyun sat down beside her. "Does it scare you? Thinking you might not be..."he pasued. "Normal?"

"It doesn't scare me, I just can't believe it. I think I would know if I wasn't human."

Baekhyun shrugged. "That might be the spell causing that. If it is true, then whatever non human poart of you is being blocked off."

Kourtney shook her head. "I won't believe it until it's proven."

"Woud it really be that bad if it was true?"

"I don't know." Kourtney sighed. "I guess it is possible, considering I know nothing about my parents and have no idea where I came from or how I ended up on some family's front porch."

"One more I can add to the fifty in my head."

Baekhyun chuckled. "I'm sure they'll be answered soon. Kris said the Elders might be able to undo the spell."

"Are they coming here?"

"Not sure. They're pretty busy so it might be weeks or even months before they show up."

"Who are the Elders anyway?"

"Five purebloods that can use magic. They're the only ones above the Council and are very powerful."

"But you said that the Council makes the laws."

"That's right." Baekhyun rubbed his neck. "The Elders gave that authority to the Council. They seem fine with the laws and pretty much let the Council do whatever they want."

"So, are they, like...really old?"

Baekhyun laughed. "No, not that old. The oldest one is 28 and the youngest is 24."

"Seriously?"

"They started to be called the Elders about 12 years ago. By then-" Baekhyun suddenly stiffened and looked to the side, sniffing the air.

"What is..." Kourtney paused when she saw Baekhyun's eyes widen.

"Kris!" He shouted, getting up and going over to the Alpha.

Kris nodded. "I know. Everyone! Stay alert!"

Hana cursed. "How did they get past the barrier?"

"What's going on?" Kourtney asked. 

"Rogues." Chen snarled. "A lot of them."

Kourtney paled, flashing back to when she was attacked.

"They're coming from all around us! We're surrounded!" Xiumin pulled Luli behind him protectively.

Chen moved to stand in front of Kourtney. "Stay behind me." He ordered.

Kourtney nodded, moving closer to him. After a few minutes, she heard rustling in the trees...and laughter.

From all around, figures began emerging from the forest, some crouched over and others cackling, as well as some of whom were werewolves, having changed into their wolf forms. Chen reached back, pulling Kourtney closer to him. From looking, Kourtney guessed there had to be at least sixty of them. Baekhyun moved to stand on the other side of Kourtney, his back facing her as he glanced nervously at the rogues. 

"You have no buisness being here, rogues!" Kris shouted. "Leave now!"

One of the rogues stepped forward. To Kourtney, he seemed like the leader of the rogues. He had very pale skin, pitch black hair, and a twisted smile on his face. 

"We couldn't resist." He sneered. "Not when we smelled a scent so wonderfully intoxicating."

"How did you get past the barrier?!" Kris's eyes were gold now.

The rogue chuckled. "As if you don't already know!"

"You have one last change to leave here unharmed!" Kris threatened. Kourtney hated seeing the Alpha like this, furious and intimidating. It wasn't fazing the rogue, though.

"You should be careful with whom you trust, Alpha. You and I both know there's only one way we could have gotten in." 

Kris's eyes widened in shock a bit, but he quickly recovered. 

"What scent made you come here?" 

The rouge grinned glancing over at Kourtney. "Hers."

Chen's grip on her tightened and he let out a growl. Baekhyun stepped back closer to her, still scanning the area. 

The rogue sniffed the air deeply, sighing. "Such an amaing scent. I'd love to taste it."

"Over our dead bodies." Kris snarled. 

The rogue smirked wickedly. "That can be arranged."

A sudden cry rang out in the Clearing.

"Tao!"

Kourtney looked to see Tao on the ground, a rogue standing above him, his hand formed as claws, dripping with blood. Tao's blood.

After that, everything became chaotic. Fighting ensued and the clearing was filled with the sounds of snarls and growls. Chen and Baekhyun stayed close to Kourtney while they fought, them and the rest of the pack staying in their human forms. Before, Kris had told them not to change unless they absolutely needed to, not wanting them to get mixed up with the rogue werewolves. Sehun, Kai, Hana, and Chanyeol stayed close to Tao as the fought. Hana tried to heal him and wake him up, but wasn't succeeding, which shocked her. Kourtney wondered if the rogues knew about Tao's power and had planned to take him down first in the beginning.

The others were fighting in groups as well. D.O and Lay were fighting while staying back to back. Kris, Sara, and Suho stayed in the same area, the latter two sometimes combining thier powers together. Xiumin, Luhan, and Luli couldn't use thier powers as much, but were still holding thier own.

After a while, the rouges were starting to overpower them. A rogue werewolf with fire powers released a massive attack, hitting Xiumin, Luhan, and Luli all at once. Kris got a massive wound in his shoulder after shielding an attack on Sara. He had been using his power as well and was starting to weaken. A rouge vampire caught Sehun from behind, slashing his back from behind before being killed by Kai and Chanyeol. Hana wanted to go heal him, but there were too many rogues attacking her. 

Baekhyun had been forced away from Kourtney as he fought. He tried desperately to get back to help Chen protect her, but couldn't. He had used his power before to blind some of his apponnets and was starting to feel the toll from using it too much. Kourtney glanced over just in time to see a rogue werewolf, who's wolf form was very big, grab Baekhyun's arm in his teeth, biting down hard. Baekhyn let out an agonized scream as he collapsed.

"BAEKHYUN!" Kourtney shrieked as she ran towards him, not thinking.

She heard Chen call out her name just as something collided with her, knocking her down. She looked up and flinched in fear when she saw the black haired rogue vampire from before, looming over her with a chilling grin. 

"Lucky me." His voice was haunting and Kourtney started to tremble. "Looks like I get to have the first taste."

He moved to attack Kourtney but was suddenly knocked away by a wolf with dark brown fur.

"Chen." Kourtney sighed in relief.

Chen attacked the rogue, snapping and bitting at his neck. The rouge was quick, though, and avoided the attackes. Kourtney quickly glanced over to find Baekhyun still on the ground, on his back with the wolf still holding his arm in its mouth. The wolf pinned his shoulder down with his claw, digging into his flesh. Kourtney searched the Clearing for Hana.

"Hana!" She screamed. "Help Baekhyun!"

Hana glanced over and gasped when she saw the wolf towering over him. She tried to get over to him, but couldn't. Kai had already used his powers too much and wasn't able to teleport himslef or Hana.

Kourtney suddenly heard a loud yelp and looked over to see the rogue vampire stabbing a long knife into Chen's side.

"CHEN!" 

The vampire stabbed Chen again, resulting in another yelp, before forming long, sharp claws on his hand, slashing all the way down the werewolf's back. Chen let out a painful howl as he collapsed to the ground, changing back to his human form. Kourtney watched in horror as the rogue raised the knife into the air, ready to strike him again. Kourtney quickly glanced over to see the large wolf still on top of Baekhyun, now having released his arm but was about to go for his throat.

No! This can't happen! I can't loose them!

 

Author's Note: And a huge cliffhanger! Don't hate me please!