Chapter 21

Packs and Clans

A/N: Baekhyun's past will now be revealed. Get ready for some feels.

 

"My parents were both werewolves. After having my older brother, they had me 5 years later. We were all happy and lived a normal family life. Both my brother and I were deeply loved by our parents and we loved them in return." Baekhyun chuckled. "We didn't have a lot of money, but enough that we oculd get by. It didn't matter to us. For ten years, everything was perfect." His smiled dropped. "Then, one night, the Council came to our home."

Kourtney stayed quiet, letting Baekhyun continue when he was ready.

"Kris told you about when the current Council members joined, right?" Kourtney nodded. "At the time, Heechul and Leeteuk had just become new members and Heechul, Henry, and Eunhyuk's fathers were still on the Council as well. All twelve members came." He took a deep breath before continuing. "I had no idea that it was going on...that my parents and brother had been...doing that."

"Doing what?" Kourtney asked.

"The Council had solid proof that my parents and brother were..." He gulped. "That they were rogues."

Kourtney gaped. "Rogues?"

Baekhyun looked away, his eyes saddening. "I had no idea that they were and I didn't believe it at first...until they had found a hidden safe in our house with...almost sixty thousand dollars of cash inside."

"They had all of that money?" Kourtney gasped in disbelief.

"And probalby more if they had spent some." Baekhyun sighed. "They had other things to prove it, but that's what finally convinced me. My parents had planned to let me in on it once I had turned twelve, just like they had done with my brother."

Baekhyun paused, clearly struggling to continue. Kourtney rubbed his back.

"It's okay. Take your time." She whispered.

After a few minutes, Baekhyun took a deep breath. "The Council tied my parents up, but not before they helped my brother escape. I could have been able to if I had wanted to, but I was too shocked, frozen in my spot. Then, Heechul's father stepped forward." Kourtney could see tears begining to form in his eyes. "He said that rogues, even with pure blood, are filthy and should never walk the earth. After that he..."Baekhyun swallowed, his voice quivering. "He murdered my parents right there...in front of me." His voice broke and Kourtney felt her heart do the same, her eyes widening. "He killed them..."

The tears fell and Baekhyun hung his head down as Kourtney continued to rub his back, too shocked to say anything.

Baekhyun took a shaky breath before looking back up. "He was going to kill me, too."

"What? Why?"

"He thoguht I had been in on it just like my brother. Luckily, he was stopped by Leeteuk, who said he'd take full responsibility of me. After that, I was taken to an orphanage for werewolves."

Kourtney couldn't believe what she was hearing. With the way he always acts, I would have never guessed that this happened to him.

Baekhyun wiped his tears before he spoke again. "Life there was hell. Word had got around about...what my parents were and how my brother had escaped. Many believed, like Heechul's father, that I had been in on it while others believed that I would one day become one and join my brother. I was ostrasized and mistreated...and I had done nothing wrong."

Kourtney shook her head, feeling anger towards Heechul's father and the orphanage.

Baekhyun suddenly gave a slight smile. "After I turned fifteen, Kris and Sara came to the orphanage. Kris had heard about me and about what had happened and took me in, welcoming me into the pack. Tao was the only other one in the pack at the time, but a few months after, Chen came into the picture. Since then, I've been with the pack, finally in a place where it felt like home, like a family."

Kourtney smiled. "You must be very grateful to Kris."

"I'm indebted to him. If not for him, I probably would have turned rogue. When my life turned upside down, he turned it back up again."

.....

Kourtney was laying on one of the couches, her current sleeping place, thinking about what Baekhyun had just revealed to her. 

Kris really did save Baekhyun. If he hadn't taken him in...he would have become a rogue and I wouldn't have been able to meet and befriend him.

Deciding that she couldn't sleep, she got up and went outside, sitting on a wooden bench on the porch. After a few mintues, she heard someone come outside and looked to see Sara.

"Having trouble sleeping?" Sara asked gently.

"I just have a lot on my mind." Kourtney smiled.

Sara sat beside her. "I heard that Baekhyun told you about...what happened to him."

Kourtney nodded. "I still can't believe it. What happened to him...it's terrible."

Sara smiled. "But something good did come out of it. He became a part of our pack and got to meet you."

"Yeah, I guess that's true."

Sara's smile suddenly faded. "It took a lot of guts for him to tell you that...and I admire him for that. He's inspired me to...reveal something as well."

Kourtney perked up, leaning forward curiously. "What is it?"

"Well, as you know, Kris and I are mates. We've been so since I turned eighteen, four years ago. After a few years, we had decided that we wanted to...have kids." Sara sighed. "Unfortunately, fate has not been on our side."

Kourtney gasped. "You can't have children?"

Sara gave a sad smile. "It hasn't been completely proven yet, but we've already had two miscarriages. The last one happened six months ago."

Kourtney moved closer to Sara, taking her hand. "I'm so sorry."

Sara squeezed her hand. "We're okay now. We've decided to wait a year before trying again. If it fails as well...we'll probably stop."

Kourtney flet her heart break for the second time that night. "So sad."

Sara sighed. "Everyone in the pack has experienced sadness in their lives...some more than others. Eventually, you'll learn about it all...it just takes time."

Kourtney nodde. " The others who are mated, have they tried?"

"No, Luli doesn't feel ready yet and Kai and Hana are still too young to be starting a family."

"Your pack is big, though." Kourtney pointed out. "It's not like they'd be alone in raising kids."

Sara laughed. "That's true, but they're still too young. They both believe they aren't ready and want to wait."

Kourtney nodded. "I can understand that." She suddenly yawned, causing Sara to laugh again.

"Finally feeling tired?"

Kourtney nodded. "Yeah."

"Then let's get you to bed. If I remember correctly, Onew's pack is coming over tomorrow morning to help us out around the cabin as well as to let Key help Hana and Lay finish healing those who haven't fully recovered."

Kourtney felt excited as she went back inside and lay back down on the couch. 

This'll be my chance to learn more about them. I didn't get to learn much at the Clearing, so I hope I'll be able to get close to, if not all, a few of them.

 

A/N: Two sad pasts down, a lot more to go! I'm thinking about revealing another's past in the next chapter, but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks to the new subscribers and all the new comments! :)