Chapter 10

Packs and Clans

Author's Note: Sorry it's taken a while to update. My family was over for the weekend and there was so much going on and stupid work got in the way yesterday. Anyway, here's the next chapter! :)

 

"Baekhyun, your turn." Kourtney faced the blonde haired boy.

Baekhyun smiled and nodded his head toward the forest. "For mine, we should go into the forest trees so you can see it better."

"Oh, you're just using that as an excuse to spend some alone time with Kourtney!" Chanyeol accused. 

Baekhyun scoffed. "Am not! It's too bright out in the Clearing right now! She would barely be able to see my power!"

Kourtney smiled as the two continued to argue, glancing over at Kris and Sara. Sara was smiling too and Kris rolled his eyes before storming over to the bickering boys and slamming their heads together.

"Ow!" Chanyeol rubbed his head, pouting. "Why'd you do that, Kris?"

Kris scowled."Because you two are acting childish and stupid! Baekhyun, take Kourtney into the forest! Chanyeol, keep you mouth shut!"

Rubbing his head, Baekhyun led Kourtney out of the Clearing and into the thick forest. Kourtney caught sight of Chanyeol, who was still pouting, and giggled. 

Inside the forest, the trees were blocking most of the sunlight, so it wasn't was bright. Baekhyun turned to face Kourtney, still rubbing his head. 

"Man, that Chanyeol's got a hard head." He moaned.

Kourtney laughed. "Why do I get the feeling like that wasn't the first time that's happened?"

Baekhyun gave a sheepish smile. "Becuase it wasn't." He cleared his throat. "Okay, now to show you my power."

He held out his hands and, slowly, light began to shine from them. It grew until the light completely surrounded them both and Kourtney smiled in awe.

"Light." She whispered.

Baekhyun nodded, dimming the light. "I can create light, as well as illusions." The area shimmered and an image of a deer suddenly appeared between them. Kourtney reached out to it, her hand going straight through. "I can't do much with it in a fight, but I'm a good enough fighter that I can hold my own. Light is a less common power, like Luhan and Luli's, so I don't have as much energy." He walked over to a tree and touched his hand to it. "I can do something like you'd see with a crystal ball," A middle-sized oval shaped white circle formed on the tree. "and I can use it to see what's happening at other locations."

To Kourtney's amazement, an image began to form in the circle. She soon figured out it was of the entire Clearing area. She saw the fire pit, the tents, and everyone in the pack. 

"That's amazing," Kourtney said softly moving closer to the circle.

Baekhyun smiled. "I can control what's being seen," The image zoomed in on the pack, who were just looking around, patiently waiting for the two to return. "Whether it's a city, a house, or a specific person."

The circle slowly vanished and Kourtney turned to face Baekhyun. "It's a beautiful power." she complimented.

Baekhyun grinned as he led her back to the Clearing. "Thanks, not many see the power as amazing or useful."

Kourtney stepped up so she was walking side-by-side with him. "Becuase you can't use it in a fight?" Baekhyun nodded. "Well, that's stupid."

Baekhyun laughed. "I get the feeling you're going to be saying that a lot."

They rejoined the others in the Clearing and Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a cocky smirk.

"Kourtney called my power amazing and beautiful." He poked Chanyeol in the chest. "Bet you can't top that."

Chanyeol scoffed. "Bet I can!"

Kourtney nodded. "Okay then, Chanyeol. You're up next. Show me what you got."

Chanyeol grinned and ran over to the fire pit. He pointed at it. "See this fire pit?"

Kourtney nodded. "Yes, I see the fire pit."

"Well, as you can see there is no fire in the fire pit. But now," A flame suddenly errupted from the fire pit. "there is."

Kourtney walked over to see that there was no wood in the fire pit. She glanced up at Chanyeol.

"So, fire's your power?"

Chanyeol nodded. "I can create and bend fire, like Sehun can with wind. Fire's a more common type of pwer, so I have a lot of energy. I can also control the heat of the fire." He stepped closer to her. "Could you hold out your hand?"

Kourtney slowly held her hand out to Chanyeol, who started to stare at it. Flames suddenly appeared around Kourtney's hand and she jumped back with a shriek. She then realized something.

"It's not hot." She stared at the flame engulfing her hand. It felt like there was nothing there at all.

Chanyeol nodded. "I can also make it so the pain is felt, but it doens't burn. Or so it does burn but the pain isn't felt."

Kourtney gaped. "Seriously?"

"I won't do it on you, though." Chanyeol held up his hands. "Kris'd kill me."

The flame around Kourtney's hand disappeared and she gave Chanyeol a smile. "You're power's very cool, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol gave Kourtney a big grin before running over to Baekhyun. "How do you like that? She thinks my power's very cool!"

Baekhyun shrugged. "I still think amazing and beautiful beats it."

Chanyeol shook his head. "She said very. As in, it's more that just cool. It's really cool!"

Baekhyun sighed as Kourtney walked over. She glanced around before turning to D.O.

"How bout you next?"

D.O nodded before stepping forward. He knelt down and placed a hand on the ground. The earth beneath them suddenly started to rumble, and Kourtney watched in amazement as vines grew out from the ground and formed a canopy above them. 

"I have the power of earth." D.O explained. "I can control earth, rocks, and pretty much any plant you can think of. I can also grow plants as well." He gestured towards her feet. 

Kourtney looked to see a few daisies growing from the ground and knelt down to pick one up. 

"My power is a more common one." D.O continued. "Like the others, I have the most energy."

Kourtney nodded, standing up as she sniffed the daisy. "Incredible." she whispered.

Now all that was left was Kris, Xiumin, and Chen. Kourtney, still holding the daisy, chose Xiumin to go next. 

Frost suddenly began to form on the ground and the air got colder. 

"My power is ice." Xiumin said. As quickly as it had come, the frost and cold vanished. "I won't use it much right now because it's a rare power, so I don't have much energy."

"Ice." Kourtney glanced over at Suho. "You said you couldn't freeze water, but could Xiuimin freeze water you created?"

Suho nodded and Kourtney returned her gaze to the ice boy.

"I can bend and create ice, make it snow, make it cold, make a blizzard, etc." He smirked. "Pretty much like Jack Frost."

Kourtney laughed. "Cool. So could you make, like, an ice sword or something to fight with?"

Xiumin nodded. "I can, but it's more of a last resort thing, since it uses a lot of energy."

Kourtney glanced around. Only two more to go. She glanced over at Chen, who had avoided eye contact with her the entire time. Guess that moment on the train was just a one time thing. 

"Kris, you go next." she decided.

Kris nodded. "As you wish." 

He suddenly shot up into the air and Kourtney watched in awe as he began to fly around the Clearing, later slowly floating down to the ground.

"Flight." Kris said. "I can't make objects or other people fly, though. Only Luhan and Luli can do that. Like them, my power's less common so I don't have as much energy as those with more common powers."

Kourtney nodded in understanding. "How fast can you fly?"

"Once I was able to fly as fast as a peregrine falcon. I think I was going about 230 mph." Kris answered.

Kourtney gaped. "230?"

Kris shrugged like it was no big deal. "Took a lot of energy, though." He turned to Chen. "Your turn now."

Chen put his hands in his pockets, still avoiding looking at Kourtney. "Do I have to show her? It'll wear me out."

Kris sighed. "I promised her we'd show her, Chen. That includes you, too."

Chen gave Kris a quickly glare before taking one of his hands out. It was suddenly surrounded by electricity. As quickly as it came, it vanished and Chen put his hand back in his pocket. "There, I showed her."

Kourtney could see Kris trying to keep his anger down and looked over at Chen. "So, what is your power exactly?"

Chen didn't look at her. "Lightning."

Hana steped in. "It's a really rare power, so Chen has little energy. He can create lightning in his hands and control thunderstorms."

Kourtney's face went pale. "Th-Thunderstorms?" she asked softly. 

The others didn't notice, but Chen did. Sensing her sudden discomfort, he looked at her. Kourtney knew she probably looked terrified and she saw the light click in his head. He didn't say anything, though. 

Kris cleared his throat. "Okay, that wraps that up! D.O! What's on the menu for lunch today?"

"Squirrel." D.O replied. "Sehun and Tao couldn't manage to catch a deer today. Only a few sqirrels."

"That's all we're having?" Kai whined. "That's not even close to enough!"

D.O chuckled. "Relax, I brought leftover deer meet from before, as well as the turkey meat."

Kai gave a loud whoop and bounded over to the set up camping grill. "Hurry up so we can eat! I'm starving!"

The others slowly made thier way over to sit around the fire pit as D.O went over to grill some meat. Kourtney was suddenly pulled over to the side by Chen, away from the others.

"You're afraid of thunderstorms, arent you?" He softly whispered. 

Kourtney glanced over at the others, afriad that with their werewolf senses that they had heard.

Chen gave her a reassuring look. "It's okay, they're not paying attention."

Kourtney nervously looked away, before giving a slight nod.

Chen nodded, stepping closer to her. "Don't worry. I won't tell anyone." He patted her head as he walked past her. "And I won't use my power around you."

Kourtney stood in a daze, staring at nothing.

What just happened? Doesn't he hate me? Why would he say that? 

She turned to see Chen moving to sit my Baekhyun by the fire pit. Taking a deep breath, Kourtney slowly walked over to the group, taking the empty chair beside Hana. She looked to see Chen give her a small smile before he turned his attention back to Baekhyun.

I'll ask him about it later. I'm still not sure if he likes me or not. Kourtney smiled to herself. I hope he does like me.