Chapter 4

Packs and Clans

Kourtney couldn't sleep. Everything that she had discovered and learned was racing through her head. After a while she glanced over at the clock on the night stand beside the bed. 1:25am. With a long moan, she climbed out of the bed and left the bedroom, quitly stepping downstairs so she didn't wake anyone. Some of the others were sleeping in the living room. Tao and Lay shared one couch, both facing opposite ways, while D.O slept on the other couch. Baekhyun slept on the floor, a few blackets placed underneath him. He was on his stomach, legs and arms sprawled out and his mouth open. Chen was in the recliner, which was reclined all the way back, snuggled into one side. 

Kourtney smiled at the scene before quietly stepping outside for some fresh air. Up in the night sky, the moon was a crescent shape, the stars all twinkling brightly. Gazing up at the moon, Kourtney smiled. The moon has magic, huh? I could believe it. The moon itself looks magical.

"Can't sleep, huh?" Came a voice from behind. Startled, Kourtney spun around to see Hana.

"Hana!" she gasped. "You scared me!"

Hana chuckled. "My bad. I forgot you don't have a werewolve's nose and ears."

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. "Did I wake you up? I'm sorry."

Hana shook her head, moving to stand beside her. "Nah, I was still awake. Couldn't sleep either."

"How come?"

"Curiosity." Hana stated. "That bomb that Krist dropped got me wondering what's different about you."

"You mean when he said he could smell magic inside me?"

"Yup. Wasn't expecting him to say something like that. He's probably curious too cause it seemed like he had never smelt it before."

"So...magic has a scent? I never though about that."

"Yeah, it has a...unique smell. It's hard for me to sense it, but since Kris is an Alpha, he can sense it clearly. The only time myself and the others can smell it clearly is on the nights of a full and new moon."

"When the moon's magic is the most strong, right?"

Hana nodded. "The scent is...hard to explain. Like I said, it's very unique."

They stood in silence for a bit, both admiring the moon's beauty. Hana finally broke the silence. "It'd be nice if you could stay. I'd love to have another girl around."

"Yeah, seem's it'd get pretty rowdy with all the boys."

"Oh, it does. And Kai's a part of the rowdy bunch." Hana chuckled. "He mostly wrestles with Sehun and loves to play jokes."

"Seems like a fun guy." Kourtney giggled.

"But, seriously, you could stay. I'm sure everyone would love to have you around."

Kourtney smiled, happy at the thought. It was soon replaced by a scowl. "I don't think everyone would like to have me around."

Hana sighed. "You mean Chen?"

Kourtney nodded. "Yeah."

Hana ran a hand through her hair, taking a deep breath. "Don't take it too hard. He's always been a rebel." Her eyes suddenly looked sad. "Plus he's....well, he's been through a lot."

Kourtney's eyes widened in surprise and curiosity. "He has?"

Hana nodded. "Yeah, but I won't go into detail. Not my place to say." Kourtney nodded in understanding. "Well!" Hana stretched her arms up."We should head back in to bed."

Kourtney yawned, nodding in agreement. Hana laughed softly, heading back inside, Kourtney quickly following.

Instead of heading upstairs, Hana went into the living room where the five boys slept, adjusting blankets and pillows to make them more comfortable. With Baekhyun and Chen, she softly their hair with her fingers, the latter leaning into the touch as if he could sense her there. Which, Kourtney thought, he probably could. 

As they both headed back upstairs, Kourtney glaned over at Hana. "Everyone here's really like family, huh?" she asked.

Hana gave a small nodd. "We're all close, but some of us are more close than others. For me, I'm more close to Kai, Baekhyun, and Chen." 

Kourtney smiled. "That's nice." If I stayed here, I wonder if it'd feel like a family to me.

"'Night, Kourtney." Hana said before she went back into her room. Kourtney waved to her before doing the same. More relaxed and calm, she found herself drifting into a deep sleep. 

Now I'm sure of what I'm going to do.

..............

 

The next morning, Kourtney woke up to the smell of something cooking. She slowly sat up in bed and took a big whiff, trying the identify the food. She discovered that it was, ironically, the same breakfast that her adoptive mother made every morning. She got out of bed and exited the bedroom to head into the bathroom, which wasn't being used. She smiled as she saw a purple toothbrush and mint toothpaste, as well as some other necesities in a small bag on the counter, a note on top that read:

Figured you'd need this since all your stuff's at your home. Don't worry about it, this is all extra stuff I had. 

Hope you had a good night's sleep.

- Hana <3

After refreshing herself, she went downstairs. Some of the boys were still asleep in the living room. D.O wasn't there, leaving a couch empty. Tao was about halfway off the other couch on his back, mouth hanging wide open and blanket on the floor. Lay was on his side, facing the back of the couch, his blanket almost falling off. Baekhyun was still on his stomach, his hands now wrapped around his pillow, which he was drooling on. Chen had switched sides on the recliner, his arm draped over the arm of the chair. Kourtney put Tao's blanket back over him and fixed Lay's blanket before heading into the kitchen.

D.O was there, flipping some pancakes over on the plug-in griddle. He looked up to Kourtney and gave a small smile. "Good morning, Kourtney. Sleep well?"

Kourtney nodded. "Like a log. This smell's really great." she added, sitting at the counter on one of the bar stools.

"Thanks. You just missed Xiumin and the others, but they should be back in a few hours."

"They went hunting, right?" Kourtney asked. D.O nodded. "Do they hunt, like, as wolves?"

D.O chuckled. "Yeah. It's easier that way. Every week Kris sends some of us out to hunt for meat. It's alot cheaper that way then having to buy some at the store."

"I see," Kourtney said, eyeing the stack of frozen bacon on the counter. "And the bacon...?"

"Bacon, ham and sasuage we buy, since it's nearly impossible to find a wild pig in the woods. We don't eat a lot of beef so we rarely buy that." D.O placed some pancakes on a plate, as well as some scrambled eggs before sliding it over to Kourtney, who quickly thanked him. "As for chicken and turkey, we come across some while hunting. The pack's favorite, though, is definitely deer meat."

"I've never had deer meat before." Kourtney said, taking a bit of her pancakes.

D.O began placing the bacon strips on the griddle. "If you stay for lunch you might be able to try some. That is, if they manage to catch one."

Kourtney nodded. "That'd be great."

"MORNING EVERYONE!" Kourtney jumped in her seat before turning around to see Hana coming downstairs. Kai followed, a little more sluggish. 

Hana's voice had woken up everyone in the living room and the area was soon filled with whining and . 

"Why'd you do that, Hana?" Tao complained. "I was having such a good dream!"

Hana scoffed. "Quit being such a baby, Tao! You have the same dream every night!"

"I do not!"

"About you kicking Kris's and becoming the new Alpha?" she qestioned.

Tao slumped down, blushing. "It was more of a challenge this time." He mumbled.

Lay patted his shoulder. "Come on, Tao. D.O's cooked a nice breakfast and we have a guest. You should socialize instead of snoozing."

Tao percked up, looking over at Kourtney. "Oh, yeah! I forgot!" he quickly got up and went to sit next to her at the counter, causing her, Lay and Hana to laugh. 

Baekhyun and Chen, however, had decided to ignore Lay's comment and tried to go back to sleep, Baekhyun moving to the empty couch.

"Oh, no you don't!" Hana yelled. "Get your lazy butts up!"

"But I'm still sleepy!" Baekhyun moaned into his pillow, muffling his voice. Chen just ignored her, snuggling deeper into the recliner. With an annoyed sigh, Hana walked over to Baekhyun and sat on top of him. Hard.

"Ah!" Baekhyun yelped. "Get off, Hana! You're too heavy!"

"Come on, I don't weigh that much, Baek!" Hana replied, giving a big bounce and landing on him hard again.

"Gah! Alright, alright!" He yelled, throwing his pillow on the floor. "I'll get up! Now get off me!"

With a triumphant smile, Hana jumped off, ruffling his hair as he sat up, pouting. 

"Now," she said, glacing over at Chen. "Time for lazy number two!"

She tried sitting on him like she did with Baekhyun but unfortunately, Chen wasn't budging. She even tried taking away his pillow and blanket, but he stayed snuggled in the chair. "Stubborn little mutt." She growled, before giving a mischevous smirk. She leaned over him and began tickling him mercilessly. The house suddenly filled with his shrieks of laughter.

"Ah! Hana! Stop! Please!" He pleaded in between laughs.

"Promise you'll get up?" She teased, still relentlessly attacking him.

"Yes! Now please stop!"

She laughed as she climbed off of him. After catching his breath, he sat up, stretching and yawning. Like with Baekhyun, she ruffled his hair, giggling at his annoyed expression before going over to sit by Kai at the dining table. Kourtney smiled, remembering what Hana had told her last night.

We're all close, but some of us are more close than others. For me, I'm more close to Kai, Baekhyun, and Chen.

Kourtney could definitely see it, and she found herself wanting to become close with everyone here. 

"Will we ever have a quiet morning?" Came Suho's voice. He was coming downstairs, followed by Kris and Sara. 

"Nope," Kai replied, giving Hana a peck on the cheek. "Not with Hana around."

Tao nodded in agreement. "Quiet mornings and Hana just don't go together."

"I second that!" Baekhyun said, sitting on the last bar stool by Kourtney, his right hand raised.

Everyone else went to sit at the dining table, filling the eight chairs. Cheerful chatter filled the room as they ate D.O's delicous breakfast.Later, as Kourtney was starting a conversation with Bakehyun and Tao about her wanting to try deer meet, Kris suddenly spoke up.

"So, Kourtney. Have you made a decision?"

The room went dead silent as all eyes looked at her, minus Chen who just stared at his plate. 

Kourtney looked around before smiling. "I've decided to stay."

The others were ecstatic, Hana and Baekhyun especially, the latter flashing her a big smile. "Welcome to the family, Kourtney."

"Thanks." Kourtney looked over to see Chen still staring, well glaring now, at his plate. Hana, nocticing, gave her a reassuring smile.

I guess I was right about not being welcomed by everyone, Kourtney thought. Oh well. Doesn't matter. The little time I've spent here is the most where I've felt like I'm in an actual family.