Chapter 3

Packs and Clans

"You're kidding right?" Kourtney scoffed. "That's what it is, you guys are just playing with me!"

Kris sighed, shaking his head. "I had a feeling this would happen."

Kourtney put her hands on her hips. "What made you think I would ever belive that? It's completely upsurd!"

Baekhyun stepped forward, his face serious. "He's telling the truth, Kourtney."

"Okay, then. Prove it." She looked at Kris. "You said you could prove it, so go ahead."

Kris nodded then turned to Baekhyun. "Change." He ordered. 

Baekhyun's eyes widened. "Right now?" Kris nodded. "In front of her?" Another nod.

Baekhyun looked over at Kourtney, a slight blush forming on his face. Over on the recliner, Tao and Chen were trying very hard to cover their laughs, obviously amused.

Baekhyun cleared his throat. "Um, Kourtney? Could you uh..." He gulped. "Could you please turn around for a minute?"

Kourtney raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

The blush on Baekhyun's face deepened and he avoided looking her in the eyes. At this point, Chen and Tao were on the floor laughing, along with Kai, Chanyeol, and Sehun. 

"Please just turn around and keep your eyes closed." Kris said, before turning to the laughing boys. "And the rest of you shut up!"

They immediately stopped, though Chen and Chanyeol tried hard to supress chuckles. Kourtney looked at Sara, who nodded. Kourtney sighed before turning around, facing the front door and closing her eyes. She heard some shuffling behind her before it went dead quiet. After about ten seconds, she felt a hand on her shoulder."Okay, you can look now." It was Sara.

Kourtney opened her eyes, slowly turning around. She nearly shrieked. Where Baekhyun had been standing a minute ago, there now stood a medium sized wolf with yellow fur. She looked over to see that Sara was holding something...clothes. She looked back over to the yellow wolf, who tiled its head, ears percked up.

"Where'd Baekhyun go?" Kourtney asked. 

Sara walked over to the wolf and patted his head. "Right here."

Kourtney's eyes widened. "He's the wolf?"

Sara nodded. "Yes. As for the reason you needed to turn around, well..."she held up the clothes she was holding. "If he had changed with his clothes still on they would have been ruined."

Kourtney realized what Sara meant and found herself blushing like Baekhyun was a minute ago.

Kris chuckled. "Believe me now?"

"I think." She suddenly had a thought. "You guys aren't keeping this wolf as a pet are you? Baekhyun could be hiding somewhere upstairs or-"

"Oh, for heaven's sake!" Chen complained before standing up and moving to stand in front of her.

"Chen, what are you-" Before Kris could finish, Chen suddenly began to change as a light glow surrounded him. Kourtney's eyes widened in surprise, then almost popped out when a dark brown wolf stood where Chen had been just seconds before. On the floor were Chen's clothes, completely shredded. 

"What?" Kourtney tried to think of a logical reason there was now another wolf in front of her but her mind came up empty. "So, that's Chen?" Everyone nodded. She pointed to the yellow wolf. "And that's Baekhyun?" More nods. "Oh my..."

Chen growled at her, making her flinch, before going upstairs. "Chen!" Kris shouted. "Don't scare her!" He was answered with a bark. Kris sighed before turning back to Kourtney. "Sorry about that. He's probalby just upset 'cause his clothes are ruined."

Kourtney nodded, unable to speak, her mind going crazy. Vampires and werewolves...they exist? This is unbelievable!

Baekhyun slowly made his way up to her, careful not to scare her. Kourtney stepped back immediatley. In her mind she was thinking, He's a wolf! He could easily hurt me of even kill me right now! Seeing her fear, Baekhyun stopped, ears drooping as he relased a whine. 

"It's okay, Kourtney." Sara said, giving her an encouraging smile. "It's Baekhyun. He won't hurt you."

Kourtney slowly stepped toward Bakehyun, who stayed still until she stood in front of him. She hesitanly reached her had out before finally petting the top of his head. His ears percked up and he nuzzled into her touch. She even noticed that he was happily wagging his tail. Up close, she also noticed that he had bright golden eyes. She started to scratch behind his ears and he sat down on his hind legs, pressing his head up against her hand, eyes closed. She smiled and thought, He's so cute as a wolf. Wait, did I just call Baekhyun cute?

She brought her hand back and looked around, about to ask how the others looked like as wolves when Chen came back downstairs, back in human form and wearing a red t-shirt and black sweats. He shot Kourtney another glare before reclaiming his seat in the recliner. Kourtney scowled. What in the world's his problem? What a jerk!

"So..." D.O began. "Who wants the honor of explaining everything?"

Baekhyun perked up, but Kris shook his head. "No, not you, Baekhyun. You'd talk her to death."

Kourtney could of sworn she saw Baekhyun pout and giggled. 

"Xiumin, Luli, Luhan, Sehun, and Chanyeol go upstairs to bed. You five have hunting tomorrow morning." Kris ordered. "The rest of you can stay down here to help explain things to Kourtney."

Chen scowled."What if we don't want to help explain?"

Kris returned the scowl. "I've had enough of your attitude tonight, Chen. You will stay there in that seat and if Kourtney asks you a question, you will answer. Understood?" Chen looked away, rolling his eyes. "Chen!"

"Yes, sir." He spat. 

Baekhyun looked at Kris. "Yes," Kris said. "You can go upstairs to change back."

Sara held out his clothes and he took them in his mouth before heading upstairs. Xiumin, Luli, Luhan, Sehun, and Chanyeol followed, the latter two upset for being sent to bed. Kris motioned for Kourtney to take a seat on the couch with Hana and Kai, which she did. Suho, Lay, and D.O were sitting on the other couch, with Chen and Tao on the recliner. Kris stayed standing. 

"Any questions you have, now is the time to ask them." He said.

Kourtney began chewing on her bottom lip, her mind racing with questions and unsure of where to start. 

"What's the thing you want to know the most?" Hana asked, trying to help her deicde. 

Kourtney took a deep breath before she asked,"Are there other...you know...creatures that are real?"

Hana nodded. "A lot. Fairies, dragons, unicorns, elves, merfolk, the list goes on. They stay more hidden than wolves and vampires, and are high in numbers because of it."

"Are there other humans who know?"

"About wolves and vamps?" Kai chuckled." Yeah, but they're out to get our necks!"

"What do you mean?"

At this point, Sara and Baekhyun had come back downstairs. Baekhyun was back to his human form and went to sit cross-legged on the living room floor while Sara went to stand besisde Kris. "Want me to explain?" Sara asked Kris. He nodded.

She took a deep breath before she spoke. "Hundreds of years ago, the werewolves and vampires decided to tell humans about thier existance. The other species wanted no part of it and stayed hidden. It started out fine, at first. Most of the humans didn't see our kind as a threat and befriended them. Unfortunately, the decision to tell the humans resulted in a great travesty." She looked around, sadly, never meeting Kourtney's eyes. "There were some humans who saw the two kinds as a threat and an unnatural thing that shouldn't even exist. They figured out ways to harm and kill them, through certain magic potions and plants. Using these...weapons, they began to hunt down and kill the werewolves and vampires. As time has gone by, they've continued to hunt us down. Because of this, our numbers have gone down drastically. We refer to these humans as hunters."

"That's awful." Kourtney said sadly, giving everyone sympathetic looks. "What monsters."

Baekhyun chuckled. "Ironic considering that's what they see us as."

"Some werewolves and vampires have the ability to erase a human's mind and they tried to use this to stop the hunters." Sara continued."It started to work at first, but the hunters eventually created a potion that allowed them to become immune to the ability. If drunk, they become immune for 24 hours, so they all drink a new potion every 12 hours so that they're always immune to it."

"So how many hunters are there now?" Kourtney asked.

"We don't have an exact number," Suho explained. "but we've estimated that there's maybe over a hundred of them now. It may not seem like much, but there are only close to three hundred vampires left and a little over two hundred werewolves left."

Tao scowled. "Their numbers grow while the vampires and werewolves decrease."

"We tried going into hiding," D.O stated. "but they invented devices that allow them to detect a vampire or werewolf. This was made possible by getting blood from each kind. Since they don't have a fairy's blood or a unicorn's, they can't detect them and they can continue to stay hidden from them."

Kourtney nodded, starting to understand. "So...those men that attacked me...were vampires?"

Sara nodded. "Yes. To be more exact, they were rogue vampires."

"Rouge vampires?"

"They're kind of like the criminals of vampires,"Baekhyun explained."They break vampire laws and pretty much do what they want. There's rouge werewolves, too."

"So both kinds have laws?"

"They do, but we won't get into that." Kris said. "Next question."

"Okay..." She thought for a moment. "Do werewolves change on the full moon?"

Baekhyun laughed. "I was expecting that question."

"We do change,"Hana explained. " But that's only if we want to. As you saw before, we're capable of changing ourselves, instead of it being forced. We do like to go out as a pack on the night of a full moon as well as a new moon. All kinds of creatures do. Those two nights are the most...well...magical and the feeling of being outisde during a full or new moon is wonderful."

"Magical?" Kourtney questioned.

Hana nodded. "Believe it or not, but the moon has strong magic, and those two nights are when it's most powerful and detectable. The sun has magic, too, just not as strong."

"So what do you guys do, just run around?"

 "Some run," Suho said." Others just lay around in the moonlight. Most of the younger ones play around, and it's also the only time when they can mate."

"Mate?"

Sara smiled. "The night of a full moon and new moon is when the moon's magic is at it's strongest. Through the magic of the moon, two can become one. The ritual for werewovles is a bit different from vampires, but both kinds can mate only on these two nights. When it's completed, a bond is formed and you're mated for eterinty."

"Can you guys mate more that once?" Kourtney asked. "Like, say someone's mate dies. Can they find another one?"

Hana shook her head. "No. Mating can only be done once. If someone's mate dies, it's like losing half of themselves. They eventually pass on, usually dying from extreme depression and starvation. Hunters have learned about this, unfortunately, so they try to pick out the mates."

"So..."Kourtney looked over at Sara and Kris."You two are mates?"

They nodded. "As well as Xiumin with Luli and Kai with Hana." Sara said.

Kourtney looked over at Hana and Kai beside her and gave them a warm smile, which they returned. She looked back over at Kris. "Okay, last question. Which rumors about werewolves and vampires aren't true?"

"For vampires,"he began."they can go out in the sunlight. Garlic does nothing and they actually really love pizza." Kourtney chuckled. "They don't sleep in coffins, crosses can't hurt them, they can't turn into bats, they can't turn humans, they can cast shadows, and can see their reflection in mirrors. I think that's everything."

"They're super strong and fast,"Baekhyun continued. "They also heal almost instantly and some choose to feed from animals or blood bags instead of right from humans. Very few have powers and the ones who do usually have a form of psychic powers. They need to drink blood to survive, and if they go 2 weeks without blood, they'll die of starvation."

"For werewolves," Tao said,"like you heard before, we don't forcefully change during the full moon. We can change whenever we want. Silver isn't a weakness of ours, as well as wolfsbane and like vampires, we can't change humans."

Kourtney nodded, more questions beginning to form in her mind. She opened to ask but Kris held a hand up to stop."That'll be enough for tonight. You got quite a bit of information and it'll be your choice whether you want to stay to learn more."

"What do you mean stay?" Kourtney asked.

"As an Alpha, my sense of smell is stronger that the others. Because of this, I've been smelling something from you."

"From me?"

Kris nodded. "The human scent is there, but I also smell what I believe to be magic deep within you and it's almost like it's trapped, wanting to be relased."

"You smell magic...inside me?" It sounded more crazy to her when she said it.

Again, Kris nodded."As the only Alpha here, I'm the only one who can smell it. The others can only smell your human scent. If you would like to, I'll let you continue to stay here and we can figure out what this magic is. If you decide not to, then I'll have Luhan erase your memories and you'll go back to your life as if nothing happened."

Kourtney stayed silent, taking in everything Kris had just said.

"I'll give you until tomorrow morning to decide." Kris said before turning to everyone else. "That's all for tonight. Everyone head to bed. Kourtney, there's a room upstairs with a queen bed in it. You're welcome to sleep there."

"Okay." she replied, head still going crazy and everything she's learned. She followed Hana and Kai upstairs, who directed her to the bedroom.

"I have an extra pair of pajamas if you'd like to borrow them." Hana said. "You look to be close to my size."

"Sure. Thanks, Hana."

Hana slipped into her and Kai's room, later coming out holding a pair of dark purple pajama bottoms and black t-shirt. She handed them to Kourtney, who thanked her again. 

"No problem," she grinned. "If you need to borrow anything of mine, just ask. I have extras for just about anything for circumstances like this." She winked at Kourtney before going with Kai into their bedroom. 

Kourtney went into her room for the night, closing the door behind her. She changed into the pajamas Hana lended to her and went to lay on the queen size bed on her stomach. 

Do I want to stay? Or do I want to go back to my regular life?

The answer seemed pretty obvious to her.

 

 

Author's Note: Thanks for those who have subscribed! I really appreciate it!