Chapter 22

Packs and Clans

Kourtney awoke the next morning and saw outside the window that the sun was barely rising. She glanced at her phone to check the time. It was 6:00 am. She groaned in annoyance but got up, knowing that she wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. She noticied that she was the only one downstairs and decided to check upstairs to see if anyone was there. Finding no one, she went outside. Everyone was gathered a few feet away from the cabin and were standing in a large circle. In the middle of the circle was Xiumin and Luhan, who were sparring with each other. Kourtney walked over and stood beside Baekhyun, who was watching them intently. 

The two seemd to be evenly matched for a while and Kourtney remmebered Chanyeol saying that watching those two fight was amazing. Now, she could see why. They would try and outthink the other, stay one step ahead, but neighter seemed to be faltering. Finally, after ten long minutes, Luhan caught Xiumin's ankle with his foot and tripped him, the older falling flat on his back. Luhan trapped him to the ground, his hand raised up as if to strike.

"Match!" Baekhyun called, walking over as Luhan helped Xiumin get up. "That was great, guys. Xiumin, here's what you needed to do..." Kourtney watched as Baekhyun began instructing Xiumin, who listened carefully as he was taught. Sara stepped over to Kourtney, smiling.

"What'd you think?" She asked.

Kourtney kept her eyes on Baekhyun. "The match was really good. I didn't think it was going to end."

"Yeah, Xiumin is strong, but Luhan is stronger for sure. This is the longest he's gone without being knocked down so he's definitely improving." Sara noticied where her gaze was lingering. "Impressed at his teaching skills?"

Kourtney smiled. "I know he's a strong fighter but I never expected him to...know technicalities and such."

"Yeah, he's already naturally strong, but he said that his father taught him a lot growing up. After...the incident...he just kind of taught himself the rest of the way."

Kourtney nodded as she watched Baekhyun give Xiumin a pat on the back before he turned to Chen.

"Think you're up for a match?"

Chen smirked. "I don't think, I know."

Chen steped forward as Xiumin and Luhan moved back. Kourtney glanced at them with worry.

"Will they be okay? What about their injuries?"

Sara chuckled. "They'll be okay. They're tough boys. And besides, those two are rivals when it comes to fighting and never pass down opportunites to fight. Sometimes Baekhyun wins, sometimes Chen wins. It's back and forth with those two."

Kourtney watched in awe as the two began sparring. While she had to agree that Luhan and Xiumin's match was amazing to watch, theirs took it to another level. Since both were very skilled fighters, the attacks were quick and fluid, almost graceful. Baekhyun would get a hit in, then Chen. Like Sara said, it was back and forth. Kourtney also noticed that they avoided hitting each others' injuries. After twenty mintues, they both began to slow down with exhaustion. Finally, Baekhyun got Chen trapped in a standing hold, one arm around his neck. 

"Match!" Kris called and Baekhyun let Chen go.

"Man, I thought I had you!" Chen moaned.

Baekhyun laughed. "That makes three times in a row I've beaten you! Whoo! I'm on a roll!" He then proceded to do his own victory dance, chanting "Go Baekhyun!" over and over.

Chen rolled his eyes before playfully pushing him to the ground, ignoring the blonde boy's yell of protest as he jogged over to the stream, keeling down to wash his face. Kourtney went over, hands behind her back.

"That was incredible. I've never seen a fight like that." She complimented.

Chen splashed water on his face before wiping it away with his arm. "Yeah, well were both holding back a little 'cause of our injuries." He smirked at her. "You haven't seen all we can do yet."

Kourtney grinned. "Then you two better hurry up and heal so I can see."

Chen chuckled, standing up. "Even with two members with Healing powers, it'll take time."

Kourtney nodded in understanding. After a few moments of silence she spoke. "Hey, I wanted to ask you something."

"Okay, shoot." Chen placed his hands in his pockets.

"At first, you seemed to hate me...then you started warming up to me. We began to grow close but sometimes, randomly, you just start ignoring me or avoiding me." She took a deep breath. "Do...do you hate me?"

Chen rasied an eyebrow. "Hate you?"

Kourtney nodded. "I'm just confused. You seem to be able to get along fine with me but I'm not sure, exactly, what you think about me. If it's becuase I'm human or-"

"Stop right there." Chen stepped closer to her. "First of all, I don't hate you. Let's just make that clear. Second, if I had hated you because you were human, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now." He sighed as he looked to the side. "I do like you, it's just...I can't risk it going farther than that."

Kourtney tilted her head in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I mean...I can't risk..."He hesitated before looking her in the eyes. "I can't risk getting too close to you."

"Too close?"

Chen nodded. "Like...Kai and Hana close."

Kourtney then realized what he meant and her eyes widened. "Oh."

"Now you understand." Chen sighed as he rubbed a hand through his hair. "Don't worry, I'll try to not...ignore you, I just...can't risk it again." He walked away, leaving Kourtney in a daze.

Again? He's fallen for a human before?

.....

At 7:30, Onew and his pack arrived for a vist. While entering the cabin, Jonghyun and Key were having another one of their "common arguments," this time about what Key was going to make for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And it seemed like the diva was winning the argument. After discussing for a while, they agreed to have Kris, Luhan, Kai, Hana, Chanyeol, D.O, Sehun, Onew, and Minho would go out hunting for a few hours while everyone else helped out around the cabin. Kris ordered Baekhyun, Chen, and Tao to take it easy since they were still injured from the attack. The girls, plus Lay, did work inside while the others did work outside. 

Kourtney, who was dusting the fireplace, saw Seohyeon glancing out the window with a dreamy expression, leaning against a broom. She walked over to see what she was staring at and gave a sly smirk. Outside, Taemin was chopping wood, already sweating heavily from the work. 

And he was shirtless.

"So..." Kourtney smiled as Seohyeon jumped, startled. "You like Taemin, huh?"

Seohyeon's face went red. "Kourtney! I...I didn't notice you were there!"

Kourtney laughed. "Well, obviously! You were too busy gazing at Mr. Shirtless out there!"

Seohyeon turned her head, still blushing. "I..."

"So, how long have you liked him?"

Seohyeon looked confused. "Huh?"

"How long have you liked Taemin?" Kourtney repeated.

"Uh..."Seohyeon bit her bottom lip. "A few months, I guess?"

"Have you told him?"

"No!" She gasped. "I mean...I will, just not yet."

Kourtney smiled. "Well, I hope you do it soon. You two would be so cute together."

Seohyeon blushed again, mumbling a quick "Thanks" before going back to sweeping the floors. 

After Kourtney finished dusting, she went over to help Key in the kitchen. He was in the process of cooking ham on a skillet, humming a quiet tune while doing so. 

"Can I help with anything?" Kourtney asked.

Key reached over and handed her a carton of eggs. "You know how to do scrambled eggs?"

Kourtney nodded. "Yup. Growing up, no one ever cooked for me so I had to learn to do it myself." 

She placed another skillet on the stove and turned the heat on. 

"Your parents never cooked for you?" Key questioned.

"Adoptive parents, actually, and no. They only cooked for themselves and their "real" kids."

Key scoffed. "Obviously they need more guidance on parenting."

Kourtney shrugged. "I'm not in their lives anymore, so it's not big deal. What about you? How'd you learn to cook?"

"My grandmother." Key replied. "After my parents died in an accident, she took me in and raised me. She taught me everything she knew, and then some. Most of the recipies I use now were hers." He went silent for a minute before continuing. "When I was sixteen, she passed away. She'd been really sick for a few years and it was getting to the point where it was painful for her."

Kourtney gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry."

Key gave a sad smile. "It was hard, but I got through it. Not long after, I met Onew and joined his pack. The rest is history."

Kourtney smiled and for the next hour, she listened as Key told her stories about his grandmother. The two also exchanged trail and error cooking stories. Afterwards, Kourtney felt she had formed a close bond with the diva werewolf.

 

A/N: Thought I'd do something a bit more light hearted after crushing your hearts in the last chapter.

Also, a new group will be introduced next chapter! Who do you think it is?