Chapter 5

Packs and Clans

After breakfast, Kris pulled out his phone as he headed upstairs. "I'm gonna contact the Council and inform them of what's happening." 

Kourtney, who was helping D.O wash the dishes, raised an eyebrow, curious. "The Council?"

Tao, who was still sitting at the counter, nodded. "Yup. They're like the top dogs of our world." He chuckled. "Get it? Top 'dogs'?"

Kourtney giggled as Baekhyun walked over shaking his head. He wacked the top of Tao's head. "The joke isn't as funny if you point it out, idiot."

"Hey! I'm not an idiot!" Tao shouted.

"I beg to differ." D.O replied, smirking.

Tao pouted as Baekhyun laughed, moving to help put dishes away. 

"As for the Council," D.O continued."They're pretty much in charge and make the laws. There's twelve of them total, with six werewolves and six vampires."

"I see," Kourtney said, handing Baekhyun a clean bowl."So they're kind of like your goverment?"

"Pretty much," Baekhyun stated. "They decided what's right to do and what's wrong to do. For example, vampires are allowed to drink from humans, but they can't kill them in the process. Afterwards, the human needs to be taken to have their memory wiped."

"But not all vampires do that, right? You guys said something about blood bags, right?"

D.O nodded. "There are a small handful of doctors who are aware of the vampires' existance and they provide them with blood bags, at a price of course."

Kourtney suddenly remembered something. "Kris said that if I decided to go back home, he'd have Luhan erase my memories. Do some werewovles have powers, too?"

"Actually," Baekhyun grinned."All werewolves have powers."

Kourtney almost dropped the plate she was holding. "What?!"

Baekhyun laughed at her response while D.O and Tao just smiled. 

"Yup!" Tao replied. "We all have powers."

Kourtney looked over the others, who were in the living room watching tv. Hana looked over, giving Kourtney a big grin.

"What kind of powers?" Kourtney asked.

"That," Kris stated, coming back downstairs." Is for you to find out later."

"Huh?"

"We'll find a time to actually show you our powers." Kris explained. "Until then, no one use their powers in front of her."

A few replied, "Okay!" while others just nodded.

Kourtney pouted. "So I have to wait to know what your powers are?"

"Trust me," Baekhyun said. "You'll be happy that you waited."

Kourtney nodded. "Okay."

After finishing up the dishes, Kourtney, Baekhyun, and D.O went to join everyone else in the living room. Hana and Kai made room for Kourtney and Baekhyun to squeeze onto a couch. Kris, Sara, Suho, and Lay sat on the other couch while D.O and Tao sat on the floor. Chen was once again in the recliner. Kourtney glanced over at him but he didn't notice, eyes glued to the tv. She looked away, giving a small sigh. I wonder if he'll ever warm up to me.

The next hour was spent with them watching tv, laughing and conversing during the commercials. Pretty soon, the front door swung open and Xiumin, Luli, and Luhan entered. 

"We're back!" Xiumin announced.

Sara went over to hug them. "How was the hunt?" she asked.

"Pretty good,"Luli replied."Both Sehun and Chanyeol caught 2 deer and Xiumin, Luhan, and I each caught 2 turkeys!"

D.O smiled. "Looks like you're going to get to try deer today, Kourtney."

Kourtney clapped her hands together in excitement. "Yay! I can't wait!"

"Chanyeol and Sehun still outside?" Kris asked.

Luhan nodded. "They're going to start gutting and skinning the deer."

D.O got up from the floor. "I'll go help." he said before heading outside.

Luli went upstairs to take a quick shower while Xiumin and Luhan stayed downstairs.

"So, did you make a decision?" Luhan asked Kourtney, taking D.O's spot on the floor. Xiumin went to sit on the arm of the recliner. 

Kourtney nodded. "I've decided to stay."

Luhan smiled."I see. Curious as to what Kris said?"

"That's one reason." Kourtney said.

"What's the other reason?" Lay asked.

It went silent as everyone waited for her to respond.

Kourtney looked around before taking a deep breath. "To put it simply, my life . My family acts like I don't exist, I don't have any friends, and everyone at school either ignores me or picks on me." She sighed. "At work, everyone's nice but I think i'ts more out of pity and the fact that they could get fired if they treat me bad."

Lay gave her a sympathetic look."It sounds terrible."

Kourtney nodded." To be honest...the little time I've spent here has been the best of my entire life." She smiled."I am curious as to what Kris said about the magic inside me, but I also want a new life. One where I feel wanted and where the love and care is genuine. That's why I decided to stay." 

Some nodded in understanding and Hana patted her on the back back. "You're a part of the family now, Kourtney, so get ready for some crazy times!" 

Kourtney laughed, happy to be finally starting a new life.

"Well, now all that's left is to tell you family." Kris stated. "Not about werewolves and such, just that you're moving out." 

Kourtney scoffed. "Doesn't matter if I tell them or not. They won't care either way."

Some looked shocked by what she just said. Sara gave her a reassuring smile. "Even so, all of your personal belongings are back at your...um...previous home. You still need to go and get it."

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that.

"Kay, I'll head over right now then," Kourtney said. "Better to get it over with."

Kris nodded. "I agree." He looked around before continuing."A few of us should go with you, for protection and to help carry your things."

Tao raised his hand. "I'll go, Kris!"

"Actually," Kris said."You, Kai, Suho, and Lay are going to help Xiumin and Luhan pluck and clean the turkeys, I'll go help with the deer and Sara, Luli and Hana are going to go grocery shopping." He looked over at Bakehyun. "That leaves Beakhyun..."he hesiated, shifting his gaze over to Chen."and Chen to go with Kourtney to get her things."

If looks could kill, Kris would be dead right now.

"Why do I have to go?" Chen yelled."Send Sara or Hana instead!"

"I'd feel better if you and Baekhyun went. You're both very skilled fighters and Kourtney would be more safe with you two accompanying her."

"Sara's a strong fighter,too! She can protect that weak human just as easily as I can!"

That weak human. That statement actually hurt Kourtney a bit, and Kris noticed. He stood up, eyes raging, changing to a bright golden color, and stepped over to Chen. Chen flinched, knowing what was coming. Kris grabbed Chen by the neck and threw him to floor.

"This is an order, Chen!" Kris growled. Chen began to clutch his head as if he were in pain, cowering to the floor, trembling. "You will go help Baekhyun accompany Kourtney to go get her things and you will protect her with your life!"

Kourtney saw that everyone had shocked looks on their faces. She didn't blame them. She was pretty shocked, too.

Kris have a menacing growl, making Chen flinch, before he went upstairs. Sara went over to calm down Chen a little before heading up to calm down her mate. The room went dead silent, later being broke by Tao.

"That was scary," he said softly. "And I wasn't even the one under the Alpha's command."

Chen moved to sit at the dining table, leaning forward and taking a deep breath as he held his face in his hands. Hana went over to sit by him, starting to rub his back. 

Kourtney looked upstairs, feeling a slight fear and confusion. "What just happened?" She asked softly.

"The Alpha's command." Luhan explained. "Alphas are the most powerful type of werewolf, aside from pure-bloods. They have complete authority over everyone in their pack and are incredibly strong. Once in a while, they use this command to keep pack members in line. Once activated, the Alpha's presence becomes intimidating and extremely terrifying and the one under the command is forced to obey."

"Many Alpha's abuse this power, ruling their pack out of fear and terror." Suho continued. "But Kris rarely uses it. He hates using it."

Kourtney nodded in understanding.

Baekhyun stood up. "Well, we should get going. Like you said, the sooner the better." he said, helping Kourtney up. "Let's go, Chen!"

Hana gave Chen a quick pat on the back and he got up, scowling as he followed them outside. Kourtney took a deep breath.

Well, this is going to be fun.