Chapter 27

Packs and Clans

Over the next month, Kourtney trained with JB and Mark to improve her werewolf abilities. In no time, she perfected her reflexes, speed, and strength. Hana helped her with changing and soon Kourtney gained full control of that as well. In her wolf form, she was small in size, with white and light brown fur. The areas on her ears, back and tail also had some dark brown fur as well. 

Aside from her werewolf training, she also trained in combat with Baekhyun and Chen, which had been ordered by Kris. Kourtney was a fast learner, and quickly developed skills, though she was nowhere near their level. At first, combat training had been the only time that Chen would speak to her. Other times, he would just ignore her. Halfway through the month, she'd finally had enough and confronted him.

"I thought you said you weren't going to ignore me anymore!" She had shouted.

"I'm not. I've been training you, haven't I?"

"I mean besides that! If it's any other time, you act as if I'm invisible!"

"Why do you care? And besides, you're going to be leaving soon!"

"That doesn't mean anything! I still want to be close with everyone, including you!"

Chen had looked greatly surprised at her words.

"Why? Why would you want to...?"

"You're a part of this pack, this family. Of course I'd want to."

"But...I...I'm-"

"It doesn't matter to me that you're a half-blood. To me, you're just you. Even if the Council will disagree with it, I want to be close with you."

After that day, Chen's mood changed around her. He was more active during their training sessions and would sometimes spend a few hours outside on the porch at night, watching the stars and talking. During those talks, Kourtney had learned that he loved Chinese food, especially if it was home cooked, and that he also loved to sing. He had been shy to sing for her at first, but one night finally gave in after Kourtney's constant pleading. He had sung "Open Arms" by Journey and his voice had left Kourtney in awe. After that night, she found herslef thinking about him more and always wanting to be by his side. Any little thing he did made her heart flutter. For a while, she didn't think too much about it...until April had come to visit one day.

Seeing April cling to Chen, like she normally does, made Kourtney upset. And seeing that it didn't bother Chen in the slightest, made her angry and hurt. That night, she could barely sleep. Images of him flashed through her mind, as well as all of the moments they had shared. Him falling asleep on her shoulder on the bus, playing at the waterfall, the tickle fight in the tent. By then, she knew what she was truly feeling.

She had fallen in love with him.

........

"The Council will be arriving tomorrow morning." Kris announced.

Tao whined. "I don't want Kourtney to leave!"

Sara rubbed his back. "I know. None of us do. But it's not like we'll never see her again."

Kourtney nodded. "I'll try to come visit when I can." 

"Couldn't we try to convince them to let her stay?" Baekhyun asked.

"She's not of age to mate yet." Chen stated. "Maybe we could convince them to let her stay at least until then."

Kris shook his head. "I doubt we'll be able to convince them. They'll want her to be near them, where it's more safe. And since we have no purebloods in our pack..."

"They won't think we'll be strong enough to protect her." Hana finished.

"Especially after what happened in the Clearing." Sara sighed.

"I have an idea." JB, who had come for the day with Mark, stepped forward. "I don't know if it'll work...but it might convince them to let her stay here."

.........

The next morning, Kris and JB's pack gathered in the cabin, awaiting the arrival of the Council. After sensing their presence in the terriotry, Kourtney went to stand in front of everyone else, alongside Kris, JB, and Mark. A few minutes later, all twelve members of the Council walked in. Heechul was, of course, in the front. He had a smug smirk on his face. Beside him was a man with light brown hair, whom Kourtney assumed was the other Head Councilman, Leeteuk, who looked like he really didn't want to be here.

Kris and JB bowed, followed after by the others.

"Welcome." Kris spoke. "It's an honour to have the entire Council visit."

"For a matter such as this," Leeteuk said. "All members are required to be present."

Heechul walked up to Kourtney, still smirking. "Miss Kourtney. A hidden gem." He knelt down in front of her and took her hand, kissing it. "So rare to find someone so precious."

I don't feel precious, was what she wanted to say. But for JB's plan to work, she needed both Head Councilmen on her side.

"You're too kind, Head Councilman Heechul." She said, giving him a fake but convincing smile.

"As I'm told often," Heechul stood up. "Well, then. Shall we be off?"

"Wait, sir." JB stepped forward. "There's something I'd like to ask."

Heechul tilted his head. "Oh? And what might that be?"

JB bowed before speaking. "Actually...it's more of a favor for Mark."

Leeteuk glanced over at said boy. "What is it you wish?"

Mark glanced over at Kourtney before back to the Head Councilman. "I wish for you to allow Kourtney to stay here."

Leeteuk seemed surprised at his words. Heechul examined his nails.

"And why would you wish that?" Heechul asked.

Mark nodded at Kourtney, who stepped over to him, the two holding hands. 

"Kourtney and I have started dating." Mark stated.

Both Leeteuk and Heechul's eyes widened at the statement, as well as some of the other Council members'. 

"Really?" Leeteuk gasped. "After only knowing for a few days?"

"We've spent time together beofre that." Kourtney said. "He would always come and visit with his pack. I grew to like him even before I discovered what I was." Please let his work, Kourtney peaded in thought. "I knew, at the time, I couldn't be with him...and it hurt."

"But now, we don't have a reason to hold back." Mark said. "I had fallen for her, too. I was confused at first. Why was I growing feelings with this girl when I knew we had no chance to be together? Maybe it was pure instinct, I don't know. What I do know is that I really care for her."

JB nodded. "That is why we wish for her to stay. By staying here, she'd be able to be with Mark everyday. And when the time comes for them to officially mate...I'll let Mark take over as Alpha."

"There's no need for that." Leeteuk smiled. "As the strongest, being Alpha is your right." He turned to Heechul. "What do you think?"

Heechul studied the two for a minute before nodding. "I see no reason to reject it. The two are in love and them being together is most important to us. She should stay here...at least until she's of age." He patted Leeteuk's head. "I'll leave the rest up to you, as the head werewolf."

Leeteuk smiled. "Given the circumstances, I will allow you to stay, Miss Kourtney. My only condition is this.." He turned to JB. "That your pack does everything in your power to protect her. How you go about doing that is up to you. With two powerful purebloods, protecting her will be much simpler."

JB bowed. "I'll make sure to honour that wish, Head Councilman."

"Good, good. Well, then," He turned to the others. "Let's not bother our friends any longer. Shall we go?"

"Wait, shouldn't we introduce Kourtney to the others?" Heechul said. "I'm sure she'd love to meet everyone."

Kourtney glanced over at Kris, who nodded.

"Yes, I'd like that very much."

Heechul clapped his hands. "Excellant! We'll start with the wolves!"

Leeteuk chuckled. "Head Councilman Leeteuk. It's nice to meet you. The other werewolves are High Councilman Kangin," Kangin bowed. While he is on Leeteuk's side, he seems a bit...stiff. "High Councilman Shingdong," A chubby man with very light brown hair bowed. Wow, he is chubby. "High Councilman Siwon," A tall man with dark brown hair bowed. He's against Leeteuk. Gotta look out for him. "Councilman Donghae," A handsome man with brown hair bowed his head. Gotta look out for him, too. "And finally, Councilman Kyuhyun." This man also had brown hair and looked very mischevous. And him. Especially with that look on his face.

Kourtney bowed. "It's nice to meet you."

Heechul spoke next. "Head Councilman Heechul. I'm in charge of the vampires. First we have High Councilman Sungmin." A man with dark, reddish brown hair bowed, a sly smirk on his face. He's against Leeteuk, too. "Councilman Yesung," He had pitch black hair, giving a slight nod to Kourtney. He looks like he could be a part of the Addam's Family. "Councilman Henry," A boy with light auburn hair winked at Kourtney before bowing. So that's that rich brat. "Councilman Eunhyuk," He nodded, giving Kourtney a kind smile. Yeah, he's definitely my favorite member so far. "And last but not least, Councilman Ryeowook." He looked to be the shortest of the twelve, and had reddish brown hair. He gave Kourtney a shy smile, nodding his head a little. He's actually kind of cute.

Leeteuk smiled. "And now you've been formally inroduced. I hope you'll come to know us better in the future."

"Of course," Kourtney bowed. "It'd be an honour."

"She'll have a chance." Heechul stated. "The tournament's coming up."

"Yes, that's right." Leeteuk glanced around. "I look forward to seeing you all there."And with that, the Council left.

After a few moments, everyone began to cheer.

"Yay!" Chanyeol held Kourtney in a tight bear hug. "You don't have to leave! I'm so happy!"

"Chanyeol-can't-breath!" Kourtney gasped.

He let go. "Sorry."

"Let's celebrate!" Kris said. "We now officialy have a new pack member!"

........

Later that night, after everyone had gone to bed, Kourtney stepped outside and ran into the forest, following a familiar scent. After a few minutes, she found herself at the waterfall. Standing just a few feet from her was Chen, who was staring blankly at the falls. Kourtney slowly walked up to him and they stood in silence for a few moments.

"Well, JB's plan worked." Kourtney smiled. "Now I get to stay."

"Yeah..." Chen didn't sound very joyful.

"I figured you'd be happy about that," Kourtney glanced over at him. "Why do you seem upset?"

"Forget it. It doesn't matter."

"I want to know. During the party, you were very quiet and anytime the topic of JB's plan came up, you looked upset."

It went silent.

"Chen-"

"I don't like it!" Chen snapped.

"Huh? Don't like what?"

Chen glanced over at her. "You with...him."

Kourtney tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

Chen looked annoyed. "You and Mark! What else could I mean?"

"Oh. Wait-what do you mean you don't like it?"

"Just forget it!" Chen turned to leave but Kourtney grabbed his arm.

"Talk to me, Chen! Why?"

"Let go, Kourtney." Chen snarled.

"No! Not until you answer me! Why don't you like it?"

Chen spun around to face her. "Because I love you!" He shouted.

Kourtney froze, slowly releasing her grip on his arm.

"What?" She whispered.

Chen looked shocked by what he'd said and began to step back slowly.

"You...love me?" Kourtney felt her heart begin to race.

Chen looked away, shaking his head. "Just forget I said it."

"But-"

"No! Just forget it! It's useless anyway! You're a pureblood and I'm..." He sighed. "It'll never work."

Kourtney stepped towards him. "Chen..."

"Don't!" Chen snapped. "Forget this conversation ever happened, okay?" He quickly left, changing as he did.

Kourtney stood in a daze, holding back her tears.

"I can't forget," She whispered to herself. "I can't."

Because I love you, too.