Chapter 18

Packs and Clans

The next morning, Kourtney awoke to the smell of sausage and eggs. She groggily sat up, rubbing her eyes before glancing around. She didn't see Hana or Baekhyun, only D.O in the kitchen and Tao, Sehun, and Chaneyol sitting at the dining table. She quickly got up from the couch and went over to sit by Tao, scooting her chair close.

"Morning, Kourtney," Tao sounded and looked tired.

Kourtney rubbed his shoulder. "How are you feeling?"

Tao shrugged. "Okay. Still a little sleepy though."

"Then why'd you get up?"

Tao gave Kourtney the cutest pout in the world. "Because I was hungry."

Kourtney laughed patting his head. "Make sure you get some more rest after you eat, kay?"

Tao nodded. "Okay."

Kourtney glanced around again. "Where's everyone else?"

"Most everyone's outside. Baekhyun and Hana are upstairs with Chen." Chanyeol replied.

Kourtney nodded before standing up. "I'll go check on them."

She headed upstairs, quietly maing her way into the bedroom. Chen was asleep, laying on his side with his mouth slightly open. Hana and Baekhyun were both sitting in chairs beside the bed, watching him with concerned looks on their faces. Hana looked at Kourtney when she walked in and gave her a smile.

"Good morning. Sleep well?"

Kourtney nodded. "Well enough. And you?"

"Pretty good. I woke up a few hours ago and noticed that Baekhyun wasn't there. I found him up here and decided to join him." 

Kourtney glanced over at Baekhyun worriedly. He looked very weary and had dark circles under his eyes.

"Baekhyun, who long have you been up?" Kourtney asked.

"Uh..."he sounded exhausted. "Since 1 am, I think."

"1 Am?" Kourtney pulled out a chair to sit beside him. 

Hana sighed. "He refuses to leave Chen's side until he wakes up."

"Tao woke up so he should wake up soon." Baekhyun's gaze stayed on Chen.

Kourtney began to rub Baekhyun's back. "Yeah, but he only got up 'cause he was hungry. He's still really tired." Baekhyun didn't respond. "Baek, you need to get some rest."

"She's right."

Kourtney turned around to see Kris standing in the doorway. He walked over and patted Baekhyun's back.

"I know you're concerned about him, but he's going to be okay. Hana and Kourtney can watch him so go get some rest."

"But I want to be here when he wakes up." Baekhyun still kept his gaze on Chen.

Kris shook his head." You know he wouldn't like you ruinig your health becuase of him." Baekhyun sighed. "Please."

Kourtney continued to rub his back. "I'll come and get you the moment he wakes up. I promise."

Baekhyun finally looked away from Chen to Kourtney. He nodded in agreement and got up, starting to leave the bedroom. As he started to pass Kris, they both froze in shock. Kourntey saw that Hana looked nervous.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Kourtney suddenly panicked. "It's not rogues again, is it?"

"No," Kris growled. "But I wish it was." There was suddenly loud murmuring downstairs and Kris sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Baekhyun, Kourtney, come downstairs. Hana, stay up here with Chen."

"Are you sure? Kourtney could stay up here." Hana looked upset.

"They'll want to meet her, anyways. And besides...you can barely hold your tounge around them."

Hana growled. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Kourtney followed Kris and Baekhyun downstairs where everyone, Kris's pack, Onew's pack, N's clan, and JB's pack, were nervously talking amongs each other. Kris turned to Baekhyun.

"You and Kourtney go sit on the couch." He ordered. "Kourtney, stay as quiet as possible."

Without a word, Baekhyun grabbed Kourtney's hand and took her over to sit by him on the couch. Tao and Sehun were sitting on the other one, the youngest of the two looking terrified.

"Baekhyun, what's going on?"

"We have some...unepected visitors." Baekhyun sighed. "It's not going to be pretty?"

"How come?"

Baekhyun didn't answer, instead staring intently at her.

"Kourtney, listen to me. No matter what happens or whatever you hear, you have to keep quiet, okay?"

Kourtney blinked in confusion. "Why?"

"Just trust me, okay? Don't say a word."

Kris and Onew's pack gathered around the living room, JB's pack by the kitchen, and N's clan by the dining area. After a few minutes the front door opened and three men entered the cabin. One was tall with chin length dark brown hair and was wearing shades. The other two had blonde hair. One was slightly taller than the other and looked well built. The other looked like the youngest of the three and had his bangs covering his left eye. He was glancing around, looking fidgetdy. They were all wearing black suits.

The tall one removed his shades, a smug smirk on his face. Kris cleared his throat before he stepped forward, bowing deeply to of the man.

"This is an unexpected visit, Head Councilman Heechul." Kris bowed to the well built man. "High Councilman Kangin." He didn't bow as low to the last, only lowered his head. "Councilman Eunhyuk. What brings the three of you here?"

Kourtney glanced at Baekhyun in schock. 'The Council?' she mouthed. Baekhyun stiffly nodded.

"You contacted Head Councilman Leeteuk this morning, yes?" Heechul's voice sounded really arrogant. "We just happend to be passing by when Leeteuk contacted us as well. He decided to have us come visit."

Kourtney noticed that Kangin and Eunhyuk made sure they were standing behind Heechul, hands behind their back. That guy in front, was Heechul his name? He must be the one in charge. Kourtney also noticed that both Heechul and Eunhyuk and slightly pale skin and red eyes. So, those two are vampires? That must mean the other one's a werewolf.

Heechul stepped closer towards Kris. "Would you be so kind as to explain to us what happened?" 

Kris nodded, his face emotionless. "Last night my pack was attacked by a large group of rogues. I think there were around sixty-seventy of them. Somehow...they got through the perimeter barrier and we had to other option than to fight. We were quicly overpowered, but thanks to the assitance of Onew and JB's packs and N's clan, we managed to drive the rogues away."

"So, you let them escape?" Heechul played with his glasses.

Kris shook his head. "No, sir. Some members chased after the rogues and hunted them all down, killing every one."

Heechul clapped his hands rapidly. "Good! They got just what they deserved!" He glanced at everyone around the room. "Lucky you had your friends to come and save the day!" Kourtney thought that he sounded like he didn't really care.

Kris bowed. "I apologize if this inconvenienced you."

Heechul shook his head. "Just doing our duty!" He glanced back at Kangin. "No offense to you, Kangin, but I feel a little antsy with all these werewolves in here."

Kangin's face was stoic. "Not at all, Heechul. But do'nt forget, there are other vampires here besides you and Eunhyuk."

So I was right! Kourtney thought.

Himchan turned to N's clan. "That's right! How silly of me!" He began to step towards to the clan. Kourtney noticied that they were standing in a formation, with N in the front, Kala and Leo to his sides but slightly behind him, and the other 5 in the back with April in the middle. Heechul stepped past N, stopping in front of Kala. Kourtney half expected N to move to her protectively or on instinct, but he stayed still, looking forward.

"Miss Kala," Heechul played with a few strands of her hair. "So nice to see you again."

Kala nodded. "Likewise, Head Councilman Heechul."

"Please, just Heechul. As fellow vampires with proper famliy blood, there's no need for formalities."

N looked like he was struggling to keep his composure and Kourtney felt herself starting to dislike the Councilman. 

Heechul smiled at her, "You're expecting, is that correct?"

"Yes, we are." Kourtney noticied how Kala said 'we' instead of 'I am', proving her loyalty to N.

Heechul place his hand on her stomach. "It should be a beautiful child, with you being the mother. A shame it has to be born with such a dirty father."

Kourtney's mouth fell open in shock. Did he really just say that? She glanced over at Baekhyun, who motioned for her to keep quiet. She glanced back over to see Heechul kiss the top of Kala's hand before glancing over at April, who looked extremely pissed.

"Why, Miss April, is something the matter?" He sneered. 

April quickly regained her compsure, shaking her head. "No, Head Councilman Heechul."

Heechul moved to stand in front of her, that smug smirk back on his face. "You know, you should count yourself lucky that you're even a part of a clan. Not many half bloods do. It's very fortunate that you met N an that he took you in." He chuckled. "I guess it takes one to know one."

"N is not a half blood vampire, sir." April stated.

Heechul nodded as he walked away from the clan. "Yes, but he might as well be." 

Kourtney shot a glare at the councilman. He's such a jerk! He didn't notice, instead striding towards JB and his pack, a cocky grin on his face. Kourtney noticed that Jb's pack, as well as the others, didn't have a formation like N's clan did. Must be a vampire thing then.

Heechul placed a hand on JB's shoulder. "Nice to see you, JB. Find yourself a mate yet?"

JB shook his head. "No, sir. The few eligable are still underage."

"Ah yes, that's right! Silly me, I forgot!" He seemed to forget a lot. "And no need to call me sir. As a pureblood, you rank as high as me!"

Kourtney's mouth dropped. JB's a pureblood? I did not see that coming!

Heechul turned to Mark. "The same goes for you as well, Mark. As purebloods, the both of you are very special and I relish when the day will come for you two to finally find mates!"

Kourtney's mouth dropped further. Mark's a pureblood, too? Seriously?

Mark said nothing, just bowing his head. After patting both of them on the head, Heechul moved over to where Onew's pack was standing. Key had Taemin behind him as if protectig him. Kourtney remembered what Hana had told her about Taemin's family blood and worried what Heechul was going to say to him.

Heechul stopped in front of the pack, his smile gone. He glanced over at them in disust.

"Ah, the oh-so-dirty Onew pack. Why Leeteuk allowed you mongrels form a pack is beyond me." He glanced over at Key and Taemin. "Though i'd have to say...you two define filthy."

Taemin shrunk behind Key, who glared to the side. Kourtney, outraged, opened to yell when Baekhyun covered it with his hand. He shook his head and her and mouthed 'Stay quiet.'

Heechul sneered at them before returning to stand in front of Kangin and Eunhyuk. The two hadn't moved an inch since arriving. Kourtney caught Eunhyuk giving N's clan and Onew's pack apologetic looks. 

Heechul glanced at Kris and his pack. "Who all was injured in your pack?"

"Myslef, Xiumin, Luhan, Luli, Sehun, Tao, Baekhyun, and Chen." Kris replied.

"I don't see Chen or Hana." Heechul scowled. "Unpolite mutts couldn't even welcome us?"

"Chen is resting." Kris looked like he was about to explode. "Hana is keeping watch over him."

"Oh, I see." Heechul snickered. "Now that I think about it, she is a mouthy brat. I'm fine without her here."

Kourtney saw Kai shoot Heechul a quick glare.

"Leeteuk also mentioned something about posion?" Heechul inquired.

Lay stepped forward, bowing to him. "Yes, sir. Both Tao and Chen had been infected with Howlion, but I was able to cure it."

Heechul looked surprised. "The rogues had Howlion? Hm...intersting." He scowled. "Chen..."

Kourtney tried to prepare herself for what Heechul would say about him. His next words were not what she expected.

"To be honest, I wouldn't have cared if that dirty mutt had died from Howlion."

The room went dead silent and Kourtney decided to disobey her directions. She was furious, no way was she staying quiet.

She hastily stood up, glaring at Heechul. "For your information, sir, Chen saved my life! How dare you say that about him?!" Baekhyun had moved beside her, trying quiet her. "Councilman or not, it's not nice to say things like that! Not just about Chen, but the others as well!"

Heechul stared at her, looking amused. "You must be Kourtney, the human girl." He sneered. "How wonderful to finally meet you."

Baekhyun moved in front of Kourtney. "You've said enough. Keep quiet." He whispered.

Heechul walked over to them. He gave Baekhyun a look that sent chills down Kourtney's spine.

"Cute little Baekhyun," Heechul leaned closer to him. "How's your brother doing?" Again, the room went dead silent. "Oops! I guess you wouldn't know since you haven't seen him for eight years."

With that comment, he walked away. Kourtney nervously glanced at Baekhyun. While he hid it pretty good, she could see hurt in his eyes. It took every ounce of Kourtney's willpower to not yell again. 

Heechul clapped his hands together. "Well! This was fun! A quick announcement before we leave! As order of Head Councilman Leeteuk and myself, Kris's pack is to stay here with the human girl at the cabin until The Elders arrive! Others are allowed to visit but the pack must stay in this area, understood?"

 

 

A/N: Wow, a really long chapter! I was too into writing I didn't notice!

I would like to apologize to any SJ/Heechul fans for making him a jerk. But...someone had to be. I personally really like Heechul. Also, there are other Council members that are jerks as well, not just him. Please don't hate me for this, but it must be done for my story.(Insert a million apologies)