Chapter 26

Packs and Clans

A few hours later, JB and his pack arrived at the cabin. The pack Alpha smiled as he walked over to Kourtney.

"Hey, fellow pureblood." He teased, putting an arm around her shoulder. "How are you feeling?"

Kourtney shrugged. "Aside from the heightened senses, not that different."

JB chuckled. "After the next month, you won't think so."

Kourtney nodded." I'm ready to learn."

JB grinned. "Good! Mark's gonna teach you about picking out different scents today!" He then nudged her over to said red haired boy. "I've got things to discuss with Kris." He waved. "Have fun!"

As JB sauntered over the Kris, Kourtney and Mark glanced at each other awkwardly.

"So..."Mark put his hands in his pockets.

Kourtney nodded. "So...where should we do this?"

Mark gestured out the window. "Outside?"

"Okay."

Kourtney followed Mark outside and they walked about five feet away from the cabin. 

"So...to start off you should figure out which scents belong to which body."Mark said.

Kourtney tilted her head. "Which body?"

Mark nodded. "Take a deep breath and concentrate on what you can smell." Kourtney closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. "What can you smell?"

"Pine, dandelions, earth, and some others I don't recognize." Kourtney opened her eyes. "There's a very distinct one that smells like a combination of tangerines, some kind of flower, i think. And...musk?"

Mark smirked. "What you're smelling is my scent."

"Really?" Kourtney stepped closer and sniffed. "Oh! It is! What do I smell like?"

Mark chuckled as Kourtney sniffed her arm. Her face scrunched. "Musk again...but I think I smell something else."

"Camellia." Mark stated.

"Camellia? What's that?"

"A type of flower. All purebloods as well as some vampires, have a type of flower as a part of their scent."

"I see." Kourtney sniffed him. "So, what's yours?"

"Mine's a certain species of cosmos flower. It has a scientific name but most know it as Chocolate Cosmos."

Kourtney giggled. "Chocolate?"

Mark nodded. "Fitting, since I love chocolate. Now, what other smells stand out the most?"

For the next hour, Mark taught Kourtney the different smells of the forest, from the bark of the trees to the different plants on the ground. It amazed her how everything had it's own unique scent and how she could change her distinct focus to whichever scent she favored.

As the two began to walk back to the cabin, Kourtney caught a whiff of eight unfamiliar scents coming towards the loaction.

"Those scents..." Kourtney glanced at Mark in question.

Mark smiled. "N's clan. They've arrived."

And they did, just moments after Kourtney and Mark entered the cabin. April ran up to Kourtney, squealing.

"I can't believe you were a werewolf this whole time! And a pureblood one, too! That's so exciting! How do you feel? Okay? I'll bet your senses are going crazy right now! And-"

"Okay, that's enough, April." N chuckled, pulling the hyperactive girl away befre turning to Ken. "And you, don't say a word."

Ken saluted. "Yes, sir!"

N sighed. "I said don't say a word!"

Ken mocked surprise before pretending to zip his lips shut, causing Kourtney to giggle. Kala stepped forward.

"I still can't believe it. A pureblood."

Kourtney shrugged. "Yeah, it's hard for me to believe, too. But I'm starting to get the knack of scents down. Mark's been teaching me!"

April skipped over to Kourtney. "Then you should memorize our scents so then you'll know that it's us when we come to visit!"

Kourtney nodded.. "I was going to do that with the others as well."

"Should we form a line, princess?" Baekhyun teased, which Kourtney responded to by thumping him on the head.

For the next thirty minutes, Kourtney went around and distinguished each person's individual scent. She had learned that the other werewolves had the same musky scent, but another mixed in. Like, for example, Xiumin's musky scent was mixed with a sort of coffee scent, which was one of Kourtney's favorites to smell. She also learned that while some vampires had flowery scents, others had, to her surpise, fruity scents as well. Everyone in N's clan except April and Ravi had a pure flower scent. Kala's was Kourtney's favorite, the beautiful smell of a red rose. Ravi's scent was harder for her figure out a first, but then she realized it was like a fresh apple. April, being a half-blood, had a hint of a lavender scent, but also one that Kourtney could only describe as...bland. It turned out that that was the human part of her.

"Since I'm only half vampire, the lavender scent isn't as stong like with the others." April explained. "It's there, but most notice the human scent first."

Kourtney finished smelling Baekhyun, who had a strong vanilla scent, before looking around in confusion.

"Where's Chen?" She asked.

"Outside." Hana replied, slighty worry on her face.

Kourtney nodded before rushing outside. Chen was standing out on the porch and avoided Kourtney's gaze when he saw her. 

"What are you doing out here?" Kourtney went to stand beside him. "The party's inside."

"Just needed some fresh air." Chen replied stiffly, still avoiding her gaze. 

Kourtney took a deep breath. "Yeah, it definitely smells better out here." She paused when a certain scent caught her attention. She felt Chen stiffen as she tried to distinguish it. 

I think this is Chen's scent? I can smell musk and some cinnamon, but this other scent is more strong. It's... Kourtney's eyes widened. It's like April's!

Kourtney stared at Chen, who glanced over in worry.

"Chen..." Kourtney spoke softly. "Are you...are you a half-blood?"

Chen's eyes widened and, without a word, he quickly jumped to the ground from the porch and ran towards the forest.

"Chen!"

Kourtney moved to follow him but was stopped when someone grabbed her arm. She looked back to see April, her usually cheerful face gone.

"We need to talk."

........

Kourtney followed April to the stream outside. They stood in silence for a while before April sighed.

"How much do you know about half-bloods?" She asked.

Kourtney shrugged. "Just that they're ones born with a human parent. And that they're treated differently than purebloods."

April stared at the stream. "I'm sure you know, but mating with a human is illegal... and has been for a while." She shook her head. "Those that have broken it have paid in some way. Sometimes, like my parents, they were locked up for a period of time. In other cases, the human parent would raise the child on thier own while the other had to stay away from the child."

"Is that what happend to Chen?" Kourtney asked.

April shook her head. "No, his story is different." She knelt down and placed a hand in the water. "I won't tell you, however. That'll be up to him."

Kourtney sat down beside her. "Why did he run away?"

April sighed. "I think...it was becuase he was afraid about you finding out what he was and how you would later act towards him. Given how he was treated most of his life, I can see why."

"How...how are half-bloods treated exactly?" Kourtney hesitated to ask.

"You saw a quick example of it with me."

"You mean when Heechul...?" Kourtney didn't continue.

April nodded. "To the Council, and most of our kind, we're dirt. Scum. Filth. Disgusting." She gazed up, not particularly looking at anything. "There are no restrictions to how we can be treated. Some...some have even been killed."

Kourtney's eyes widened. "Just becuase of their human blood? That's awful!"

"Because of the harsh treatment, most half-bloods have become rogues." April gave a sad smile. "Honestly, if I hadn't been excepted into N's clan...I probably would have become one, too."

"And Chen?" Kourtney was curious if he was the same as well.

"Chen had a few opportunities in his life to become a rogue...but certain people he met helped keep him from doing so." April smiled at Kourtney. "You'll understand more when he explains it to you."

"I only have a month left here. He might not tell me by then."

"You'll get to see him again, at gatherings and stuff." April stood up. "He doesn't usually go to them, but me might to see you." Se smiled at Kourtney's look of confusion. "I can see that he deeply cares for you."

Kourtney glanced over in the direction that Chen had run off to.

"Just give him some time." April helped Kourtney to stand up. "He'll come around."

Chen didn't come back until late that night. The entire time he was gone, Kourtney couldn't get him out of her mind. She recounted the few moments she'd spent with him and felt herself wanting to spend more time with him. Not because she felt pity for him, but because she liked being around him, even moreso than with Hana or Baekhyun. After he returned, she tried to talk to him but instead he stormed past her and upstairs to bed. It was then that Kourtney made a decision.

For the next month, I'm going to spend as much time with him as I can, and hopefully get him to open up to me about his past.