Chapter 1

Packs and Clans

Today was Kourtney's seventeenth birthday. She should feel excited and happy and loved, right? Unfortunately, she felt far from it. In fact, she expected it. Today was like any other day in her life. She got up after hearing the annoying beeps of her older brother's alarm clock next door and sluggishly got up. She left her bedroom, making her way to the small bathroom that she shared with her siblings, washing her face, brushing her teeth, and other hygienic needs before making her way back to her room, her brother's alarm clock still beeping loudly. After changing into a plain black t-shirt, a dark-grey hoodie and black jeans, she went over to her desk drawer and pulled out a hairy tie, pulling her hair back into a low ponytail. She pulled on her favorite pair of black combat boots and grabbed her school bag, swinging it over her shoulder as she headed downstairs to the kitchen.

Her mother was making the usual breakfast: pancakes, bacon, sausage, and scrambled eggs. Knowing her mother, technically her adoptive mother, wouldn't ask her if she wanted some, Kourtney instead grabbed a banana from off the counter, sitting on one of the bar stools as she peeled it. Not long after, her siblings came downstairs, still in their PJ's, and sat down at the dining table as their mother served them, not even acknowledging her presence.

While her mother drove the others to school, Kourtney headed out to take the bus. She waited at the bus top, listening to rock music through headphones, hands tucked into the pockets of her hoodie. Pretty soon, the school bus pulled up and Kourtney climbed on, moving to the back of the bus to sit by herself, ignoring the taunts and jeers the other students threw at her. School was, to Kourtney, worse than home. While her family treated her like she was almost invisible, the students and school did the opposite. They picked on her every chance that they got. It got a little better as time passed, since Kourtney barely responded to it anymore and the bullies got bored by her reactions. She had no friends, and even though some students had tried to befriend her in the past, she wanted nothing to do with them, afraid they would betray her in the future or be subjected to harsh treatment as well.

Aside from all of that, her grades were next to perfect, being one of the top in her class. This was driven by her desire to get into a good university, eventually graduate and find a good paying job, as well as moving very far away from her ignoring adoptive family. Every day after school she would spend an hour in the library to study before heading to her part-time job at a local restaurant. If she didn't have work, she'd just hang out at the park, sitting under a tree, reading. She loved to read and did it every chance she got. She especially loved fantasy and always wondered what it would be like if she was a character in one of those stories. Today, she did have to work, unfortunately, so her book reading would have to wait until later that night. She spent most of work clearing off tables and washing dishes in the back. Sometime's she'd go help to make the meals, having been learning from the restaurant chefs. She loved work. The manager and chefs were especially kind to her. Kourtney figured it was more out of pity since they knew about her family but she didn't care.

"Happy Birthday, Kourtney!" they all cheered and she mumbled a thanks as she was handed a small chocolate cake, courtesy of the chefs. the cake was delicious and for the first time that day, she gave a genuine smile.

At 10 pm, she clocked off and started walking home, since the local bus's last pick up was at 8:30. On her way past an alleyway, she glanced over and saw a dark crouched figure looking right at her. Startled, she picked up her pace, not wanting to become a victim of assault, especially on her birthday. When she passed by the next ally, however, she felt cold hands grasp her arm and she was pulled into the ally. Before she could let out a scream, a hand was placed over to silence her.

"Shh." Her captor hissed, his voice sending ice-cold chills up her spine. Then again, maybe it was caused by his hands, cold as ice.

To her horror, two more men stepped out of the shadows, grinning maliciously. Both had very pale skin and walked almost feline-like. She whimpered, desperately trying to fight to escape, but the man had her tight in his grasp.

"Your blood smells so intoxicating," The man sneered after sniffing her neck. Kourtney froze. Blood? What did he mean? How could he smell her blood?

One of the two men in front of her stepped closer, his lips. "We can share her, right boss?" He asked.

"Of course," Kourtney flinched as the man suddenly her neck. She tried once again to get away, but could barley move against the man's hold. "After I'm done, you two can finish what's left of her."

Tears began to form in her eyes and she whimpered again. Please! Some one save me! She thought, unable to speak or scream with the man's hand still over . She gasped as she felt something shark against her neck. A knife? She looked at the two men in front and her eyes widened. Their eyes were bright red and they had their teeth bared, showing sharp fangs. She then realized that it wasn't a knife she was feeling. It was fangs. Her eyes shut tightly, releasing her tears as the fangs began to press into her flesh.

Snap!

Suddenly, the pressure of the fangs went away and the man's hold on her fell. She looked back to see a boy with light golden blonde hair, who had the pale skinned captor's head in his hands, the head twisted to the side. He let go and the man's body fell to the ground with a loud thump. She turned back around just in time to see the other two's necks snapped by two others, one a girl with light golden brown hair and the other a boy with dark chestnut brown hair. She stepped back in fear, bumping into the boy behind her.

"Easy," he said, his voice calm. she turned to look at him and he smiled gently. "You okay?" He asked.

Fearful and unable to speak, she simply nodded, unsure if she should trust him. The blond haired boy moved over to stand by the other two. the girl stepped forward, showing worry and compassion on her face.

" Do you live far from here?" She asked.

Kourtney bit her bottom lip, taking a deep breath before she spoke. "My family's home is about an hours walk from here."

"Why don't you take the bus?" the blonde-haired boy asked.

"Around here, the last bus stop is at 8:30. I get off work at 10." Kourtney replied.

The blonde haired boy turned to the girl. "What should we do, Sara?"

The girl, Sara, pursed her lips in thought. The other boy spoke up. "Just let her walk home. There's no other way for her to get there."

"But what if she gets attacked again?" The blonde haired boy said, giving the other boy a quick glare.

The other boy crossed his arms and shrugged. "Not that big a deal."

"Chen!" Sara snapped, as the blonde haired boy moved to face the other.

"Kris would want us to help her." He said.

"We don't have time to walk her home," Chen said. It really seemed to Kourtney like he didn't care. "We have to get back."

"But-"

"Chen's right, Baekhyun," Sara said. "We don't have time."

"But she-" "Be quiet, Baek! Let me think!" Sara snapped.

Baekhyun closed his mouth, looking over at Kourtney in sympathy.

Sara's gaze lingered on Kourtney for a bit, deep in thought. "We could...bring her home with us." she said softly.

"No way!" Chen yelled.

"Chen, it's a logical decision. Our house is only ten minutes from here." Sara rationalized. "She could spend the night with us and..." she looked at Kourtney. "Do you have school tomorrow?"

Kourtney shook her head. "Tomorrow's Saturday so I don't have school."

"Could you call your parents and explain to them what's going on?"

"Sure." Not that they'd really care.

"Then it's settled!"

Baekhyun looked happy and relieved while Chen looked downright angry and repulsed.

"I-I don't want to cause you guys trouble. You don't have to do this." Kourtney said, still unsure of whether to trust these guys or not.

Baekhyun gave her a reassuring smile. "It's no biggie. We want to help."

Chen scoffed. "If we're going, let's go." He headed out of the ally. "Don't wanna be late."

Sara and Baekhyun started to leave as well before they both turned to Kourtney.

"You coming?" Baekhyun asked.

She had two decisions. Take the hour long walk home and hopefully not get attacked again or trust three complete strangers who just saved her life and spend the night at their house. Normally she would have chosen to just walk home but something in her heart told her that she could trust them.

"Yeah, I'm coming." She replied, following Sara and Baekhyun out of the ally. Chen was down the sidewalk a ways, waiting for them to catch up.

"Oh, by the way,"Baekhyun said, keeping pace with Kourtney. "What's your name? Mine's Baekhyun."

"Kourtney." She replied. He grinned.

"Well, Kourtney, hope you like big groups." He winked. "We've got a pretty big family." Great, she thought. Just great.