|||||||

Acting As His Shadow

“Isn’t that right?” Myungsoo asked again. In the heat of moment Sungjong involuntarily pushed Myungsoo a few steps back.

“I told you before! I won’t be pushed out of here easily. I have a dream to catch and now I need that picture to get on it!” Maybe it was because Myungsoo was bigger than Sungjong, but Sungjong could feel himself panting. Or it could have been due to the fact that Sungjong’s racing heart was still beating rapidly thanks to Myungsoo invading his personal space. Either way all Sungjong know was that he was slightly tired and weak.

“And I’m going to say it again. You do not need a picture. If you cannot fulfill your dream with your own looks, let alone a mere image of yourself, then I’m not sure you should even consider it a dream.” Myungsoo stated frankly.

Sungjong scoffed aloud, “And didn’t I tell you not to look down on my dream? Are you suffering from short term memory loss, or what?” Myungsoo flattened his eyes at the insult. For a moment he has forgotten that Sungjong was a master at insulting him.

“I’ll say it again. You won’t be getting any service from me.” Myungsoo said.

Sungjong smirked a little before falling backwards with his back attached to the wall, in order to keep his balance. “I guess I was right when I called you a jerk. Because no doubt about it, you are one.”

Myungsoo ignored his words and continued to push his idea on Sungjong. “So? Planning to leave any time soon?”

Sungjong sighed and detached himself from the wall before answering. “You said so yourself didn’t you? That because of my stubbornness you agreed to take my photo. So let me tell you again. I won’t be leaving any time soon. Until you take my picture, I won’t run away no matter how many times I’ll have to listen to your put down speeches.” For an unknown cause, Sungjong felt pain jotting up and down throughout his body, as if someone was continuously punching him like a punch bag.

“Are you alright?” Myungsoo asked with a new look on his face. A look of someone who was caught off guard. Sungjong could finally feel it, the sweat that has been forming on his temple had started to slide down his head.

“I….” Sungjong’s eyelids felt heavy, like someone pushing them down without his permission. “I feel strange….”

Myungsoo took a step forward to get a closer look at Sungjong. “What’s wrong with you? You’re turning pale.”

“I don’t know….Something, just, doesn’t feel right—” Before he could finish talking, Sungjong fell unconscious and his skinny body waved forward, falling into the strong arms of the photographer.


The sound of life returned to Sungjong with a blurry whiteness. Around him, he could hear the beeping of machines, the soft whispering of strangers, and under him he could feel the age of the bed he was lying on. He was in the hospital, lying on a hospital bed. The first image he saw was the white ceiling of the hospital. “Sungjong?” A voice called from the side of his bed.

Sungjong used all his strength to look at the owner of the voice. There he saw Ryosuke. The boy had on a worried expression but at the same time looks so pure and innocent. “R-Ryosuke?”

“Are you alright Jong?” The Japanese boy questioned. Sungjong looked around once more, not because he was interested in what the hospital had to offer, but he was searching for Myungsoo.

“Ryosuke,” Sungjong said looking back at the boy, “why am I here?”

“You don’t remember?” The boy asked, slightly surprised. Usually he knew Jong to have a flawless memory. “You lost a lot of blood and was rushed to the hospital.”

“I did?”

Ryosuke nodded with his famous large-Anime eyes.

“But how? I mean it’s not like—” The memory of breaking glass and the feeling of those broken pieces piercing through the bottom of his shoes, and into his feet came back at the speed of light. “Then, it was him who brought me to the hospital?” Sungjong asked.

Sungjong didn’t have to say a lot for Ryosuke to understand. It was one of the very few reason why they are still such good friends despite their occupations and different lifestyles. “Kim Myungsoo you mean?” Sungjong nodded. “I heard he called 119. But when they brought you here, you were alone.”

Without knowing why, Sungjong felt a bit depressed. He was hoping that he could give Myungsoo a little more credit, but the lad was simply a jerk. “By the way.” Ryosuke began. A line he would always say when he’s about to invade Sungjong’s privacy. “Have you been ignoring my calls and texts because of him?” The mentioning of his phone caught his attention immediately and there he sat up quickly.

“Where’s my phone?”

Ryosuke blink in confusion, “The hospital is holding onto it. Actually they have all of your belongings as of now.”

“Ryosuke, can you bring it to me?”

“Oh? Sure.” With that the short Japanese boy got up from his seat to go fetch Sungjong’s stuff. Luckily for Sungjong, Ryosuke was still a rookie and unpopular kid in the music industry. Otherwise fans could sworn in and take his friend from him.


Myungsoo was looking down on the broken glasses that was now stained with Sungjong’s blood. “Just how much of an idiot were you to keep standing on something that was literally cutting you from below, kid?” When Myungsoo fell silent to recall what have happened just hours ago, he suddenly felt a vibration of his phone coming from his front pocket. When Myungsoo held it out to see what it was about, he could see that the still alive Sungjong had sent him a message.

Myungsoo flipped his phone open and opened the message with a hint of guilt. After calling for an ambulance due to Sungjong’s sudden faint, Myungsoo hasn’t even tried to contact the hospital for any update on Sungjong’s condition.

From Unknown Number

I may have ended up in the hospital but this isn’t the end! I will come back! And you will take a picture of me when I do! Good day JERK!

Without batting an eye Myungsoo shut his phone and pocketed it again. “I guess as long as you’re alive you’ll keep bothering me, right kid?”


Ryosuke could see Sungjong staring at his phone with intensity. “Are you alright Jong?” Ryosuke asked, earning a glance from Sungjong.

Sungjong then smiled and waved a hand, “Don’t worry it’s nothing major.”

“Are you texting Myungsoo?” Ryosuke snuck the answer in and Sungjong quickly took the bait.

“Yeah, but he isn’t answering.”

“Did you….Get my message about Lee Hoya though?”

Sungjong dropped his phone onto the side of his leg and was now fully focused on Ryosuke. “A message about Lee Hoya?”

“Yeah, about him being taken?”

Sungjong’s smile faded in an instant. “Taken?”

Ryosuke nodded slowly. “What have you been doing all these days Sungjong…? Usually you’d reply at the speed of lightening. And you’re almost always online on all of your social media accounts. Have you been spending time with Myungsoo?”

“It’s not like that.” Sungjong quickly denied. “It’s just….Something happened and so I was without my phone for a few days….”

“But even so you’d usually get another phone the very next hour, Sungjong.”

Sungjong couldn’t help but smile a little. “Right?” He never thought his actions was silly until that very hour. In the past Sungjong would flash money to just about anything and he wouldn’t care where the money would go afterwards. But after meeting Myungsoo, the only man who has rejected his money or fortune of his, Sungjong thought that it was silly that he thought just anything and everything loved money. And so he never deemed anything valuable. Sure he labeled his personal belongings as a another living thing, but he has replaced it so many times that he wasn’t sure if he even had the right to do so anymore.

“Ryosuke.” Sungjong started, earning all eyes and ears from the Japanese boy, “Do you know who Lee Hoya is seeing?”

Ryosuke himself appeared disappointed at the topic of a taken Hoya. “No. I tried to find out but couldn’t. I’ll try again when I go back to the company. I’m sure my manager would tell me who she is.”

“She you say?”

“I’m assuming it's a she….I mean after all, isn’t Hoya straight?” Ryosuke asked. Sungjong heaved a gentle sigh and hummed.

“As far as I know, he is.”


From Unknown Number

Did you look at the messages in my phone? Did you see them?

 

From Unknown Number

If you did then please forget what you saw....

 

From Unknown Number

Good night, I guess.

 

Myungsoo was lying on the couch in the dark. The only light was that coming from his phone, after reading Sungjong’s last message Myungsoo shut his phone. Thus filling his studio with nothing but darkness. After all, it wasn’t like Myungsoo to hold any kind of connection or relationship with his clients. Because those that he did, are now making his life even more miserable than he could have ever imagined.

When the sun rose the very next morning, the first thing Myungsoo did was stare at the pictures in the photo album. The image of the slimmed figure brought back many memorable memories. All of which belonged to only him and his lover, or rather his sister.

Ten years ago, in the same studio of Myungsoo, where everything was more organized and the appearance of the room was considered a more livable condition compared to the present. Myungsoo was sitting in his chair, piecing together a camera’s parts. The only sound in the room at the time was the sound of clicking heels against the wood.

“I’m surprised it’s so dead today.” A woman said, her voice brought a smile to Myungsoo’s face though his eyes remained on the object in hand.

“The kind customers probably want to leave some time for you and I alone.” Myungsoo’s comment made the woman laugh.

“What a ridiculous thing to say. Maybe because you never promoted or boast about your work, that no one comes here.”

Myungsoo shrugged, “I guess it’s my fault for us falling short of customers then.”

“Of course it’s your fault. Would it be my fault then?” The tone of the woman made them both laugh. Then from behind Myungsoo felt the warmth of her arms, flowing over his shoulder and chest from behind. As she rested her chin on his shoulder, her long, wavy brown hair fell over his chest and rested near his abs. “Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo could feel the sweet smell of her breath that brushed along his ear. Even the creamy smell of vanilla shampoo of her hair has left its scent on him, along with her strong perfume. “Want to go on a date with me this weekend? I want to show you something.”

Myungsoo had stopped what he was doing and paused just to hear her out. When she was done talking Myungsoo raised a hand to the right side of her head with his hand hand. “What do you want to show me?”

“Something very precious to me.” She whispered.

Myungsoo breathed a wider smile. “This weekend you say?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll make room, just for you. Big sister.”