|||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

“I didn’t come here as a customer but as a business partner. I know money doesn’t budge you, that’s why I’m not going to offer you anything. But as acquaintance three years ago, I hope you can help me by lending me this studio, that you have no use for.” Sungjong said, cutting to the chase. But instead of cooperating Myungsoo moved forward and away from the photos.

“I see you’ve changed. You’re even more of a man now that I can remember. You said you’re here to make a deal with me, but do you not know what a deal is? Or are you just oblivious to it?" Sungjong didn’t speak since he assumed Myungsoo would fill him in, in which case did happen. “In a deal each party must have something of equal value and worth to trade with the other, or else it’s not a deal.”

“So? A picture of me would do is what you’re saying?” Sungjong asked.

“Your picture is just a small portion of it. Mainly because of many reasons. But you have to offer something of equal value to this studio, if you’re planning to live in it.” Myungsoo said moving closer to Sungjong.

“It’ll just be for rent. Either way I’m going back to Japan after my work here is done.” Sungjong cut in, but Myungsoo carried on with only his plan and came to a stop just paces from Sungjong.

“Rent or not it’s up to you. As you say, I don’t really need this place since it’s just for memory keeping. But still, you must meet the deal with a good trade.”

“I don’t have time for guessing games. Just name what is it you think I have of value equal to your studio. I’ll decide whether or not to make the final trade.” Sungjong snapped.

Myungsoo didn’t bat an eye and instead pocketed his hands. “Do you still have them? The black mittens?”

Sungjong kept a strong gaze and wore a slight smug. “They were thrown out not long after my mother’s death. Why? Afraid that they’ll end up in someone else’s hands?”

Myungsoo tighten his jaw. He should have seen Sungjong’s witty side, he should have predict that it was coming. But Sungjong’s question hit him with a color of red, flowing through his body. “Then I guess you haven’t found that certain somebody then.”

Sungjong folded his arms over his chest. “So that’s what you want to know? My love affair?”

“Something like that.”

“Don’t be curious, there’s nothing new.”

“Then answer me truthfully.” Myungsoo said, then pause for a moment, “Do you still like me?”

A scoff came to Sungjong, “Why? Do you want to hear me say yeah? Yes I still like you, is that what you want to hear?” Sungjong’s tone was powerful and firm. Myungsoo couldn’t tell if Sungjong was serious or just pretending to be strong in order to convince him. “I told you to name what you want from me, so why are you beating around the bush with unnecessary questions?”

“Should I answer that after I take your photo first?” Myungsoo asked, in which case Sungjong frowned again.

“If you don’t want to rent the studio to me then say it. I’m not going to become a model for you.” Sungjong stated firmly, in which case Myungsoo sighed.

“Fine, then answer this. Depending on your answer, I’ll decide whether or not I’ll rent you my studio.” Myungsoo said, looking Sungjong in the eyes. “Nam Woohyun said you saved me by throwing him into prison some time three years ago, exactly what did he mean by that?”

The memories poured in almost instantly. That was the night Sungjong learned about Myungsoo’s love for Suzy. The night where Sungjong was forced to make the decision to move to Japan after Myungsoo’s safety. “It was three years ago, so why are you interested in hearing about it now?”

“Because Lee Sungjong, I want to know. I never recalled my life being in any danger, so just how did you save me?” Myungsoo said, keeping his hands pocketed. Sungjong who had his arms crossed had also shifted to where he hid his hands in his pant’s pockets.

“Since you didn’t know then it’s better to keep it that way. We’ll just say your life was in once in danger, but now you’re no longer in danger.” Sungjong stated.

Myungsoo heaved a sigh. “I’ll allow you and your friends to stay, but not here.” Sungjong flattened his eyes, confused by Myungsoo’s words. “This place is too small, instead come stay at my and Suzy’s place.”

Sungjong scoffed a disbelief. “What?”

Myungsoo spun around enough where all Sungjong could see was his side profile. “I cannot allow you to stay in this studio, but I’ll allow you and your group to stay at my house. It’s big enough for everyone. Also, I want to test something.”

“And what’s that?”

“To see if you still like me. Suzy, my sister, will be around.” Myungsoo then look back at Sungjong, “Why don’t you try to prove it to me? That you no longer like me. Or do you still like me?”

Sungjong who kept a serious and unimpressed expression smirked a little. “I’ve got better things to do than to ponder on whether I like you or not. Don’t you remember? We’re now sworn enemies. But if you’re that willingly to let my group move in then I can’t refuse your offer. Just a warning though, we’re quite a wild group. So I hope you and your sister can handle us.”

Myungsoo sneered, “I doubt any of your friends would be any more of a challenge than you. However, if I can tame you then I’m sure your friends will follow suit.” Sungjong who wasn’t more offended cocked his head to one side.

“Watch what you say. You’ll probably end up being under my control, Kim Myungsoo.” Sungjong said under a cold tone.

Myungsoo smiled a little. “I highly doubt it.”


Sungyeol and Woohyun were sitting in the alleyway from before while Ryosuke was also absent. “Hey,” Sungyeol began, “do you think it’s going well with the deal?”

Woohyun sighed, “No clue. Since I don’t know the details of their relationship, I can’t make a prediction at all."

The tallest man heaved a depressed sigh, “At this rate boss may just kill us.”

Woohyun who was just reminded of the boss became curious. “By the way, I know I’ve become part of your guys’ gang now. But what exactly is boss like?”

Sungyeol look around for a moment, and when he was positive that no one was around, he gestured for Woohyun to lean in. “Boss’s full name is Kim Sunggyu, Korean and Japanese descent. In Japan he uses his Korean surname to make himself sort of like a foreign. But in Korea he uses his Japanese surname, Kita. Kita Sunggyu. He’s been sitting in the chair as our boss for almost a decade and he’s only thirty. They say he’s got a thing for Sungjong.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?” Woohyun asked.

“What do you think? That’s why, if Sungjong makes a wrong move, the boss wouldn’t kill him but he could do something terrible to Sungjong. However, Sungjong also has an advantage compared to us.”

“And what’s that?”

“Sungjong is treated almost like a leader. So say, if someone hurts Sungjong, not just the boss but lower rank members would gather everyone to hurt that one person, or people.”

“So, if it’s only us who gets hurt then the boss wouldn’t care?”

“That depends, usually it’s the comrades you spend most of your time with, they’re usually the only ones who would deal with it. Just because boss can’t take care of everyone. So while boss looks out for people like Sungjong, Sungjong is then responsible for us. However, we’re responsible for Sungjong and boss.”

“Just how or why did you guys pull me into this mess?” Woohyun asked, earning disgusted snorts from Sungyeol.

“Do you think it’s that easy to become a yakuza? You’re lucky Sungjong was the one who recommended you, otherwise if you got in with the help of lower ranks than you would have been looked down on.”

“Then did you become a yakuza thanks to Sungjong, as well?”

“Exactly.” Sungyeol said.

“Then can I ask what was your relationship with him?” Woohyun asked.

“I’m—” Sungyeol stopped himself, “Sorry but I cannot tell you! Who knows when you’ll betray us?” Sungyeol asked in a strange voice, mainly because he didn’t want to answer and was trying to change the topic by changing his tone.

"Okay...?" Was all that Woohyun can voice out.


Myungsoo was now leaning against his desk while Sungjong stood in place. “How did you get someone like Woohyun to be on your side, anyway?” Sungjong eyed Myungsoo’s figure on the desk.

“Apparently he’s not on my side since he went against my wish and contacted you.” Sungjong’s words was like a sword pointed at Myungsoo’s throat. The handsome man whose eyes has been on Sungjong were now on the cold, dirty ground.

“Ever since the beginning, Nam Woohyun likes to threaten me. When he called before, saying you were with him, I thought maybe he knew about your feelings for me. That’s why he was going to use you to threaten me. But now that I look at it, you could handle him since you were also responsible for putting him behind bars, and without him coming out with a grudge against you.” Myungsoo said. When Sungjong didn’t answer Myungsoo continued to speak. “I guess I forgot that he was now under you, so he will be moving in too. Now that I look at it, Suzy will probably be against this idea.”

“Then? Are you going to take back your words and just allow us to stay here?” Sungjong asked, hoping that would be the case. After all, the idea of his group moving into Myungsoo’s place sounded awkward. And Sungjong knew he didn’t need awkward.

“No. I’ll convince her somehow, however as his leader, just help me keep him away from her.”

“Even without you asking me, if any of my guys goes out of line and ruin my plan, I’d be the first to stop them. You wouldn’t even be needed at the scene.” Sungjong said, plastering a relieved smile on Myungsoo’s face.

“I know I used to call you annoying for always clinging onto me.” Myungsoo said, leaving the room silent for a moment as he glance up toward Sungjong. “But now you’re even more annoying for pushing me away.”


A/N: So I guess just a short update, mainly to learn a bit more about the ‘Boss’ who in the end turned out to be Kim Sunggyu xD But man….Who’s excited for them all to be under the same roof? It’s going to be chaos. So anticipate it!