||

Acting As His Shadow

Sungjong was peeling an apple with a kitchen knife while simultaneously listening to the speaker through the phone that was trapped between his shoulder and cheek. “So you offered to work as his model by dressing up as a woman? Then once he’s close to reaching his dream he will help you with yours?” When the speaker came to a pause, Sungjong answered with a hum.

“Hm. He said his dream was to advertise sceneries for newly-wed couples.”

“And so? What was his answer after you made him that offer?”

Sungjong took a short-lived break to recall what Myungsoo had said from before.

“I can do it! I can wear women’s wear and help you.” Sungjong volunteered with eager in his tone. Myungsoo, on the other hand, ignored the skinny man’s proposal.

“I’m sorry but you will have to go somewhere else. Don’t you think I’d become a liar if people discovered that I use a male as my model? Especially when I’m promoting straight-arial couples?” Myungsoo raised the question, earning a sigh from the pretty man.

“People won’t know if you don’t want them to.” Sungjong’s comment came with a sound of irritation. Why was it so difficult for him to get just one good photo taken?

“In this world, you cannot hide or keep something a secret forever. Didn’t you know that?” Myungsoo asked before folding his arms across his chest and stood tall, detaching himself from the edge of the desk.

“No. The purpose of any photos is the important message the taker wants to convey to the people. It’s not about whether a model is male or female. It’s about how beautifully, realistically that model can look. As a photographer shouldn’t that be common sense?” Sungjong pushed, making Myungsoo scoff.

“You’re acting up again. Didn’t I say I don’t work with people I don’t like?”

Sungjong smirked a little, “You also said not to judge a book by its cover. How do you know that you don’t like me when you barely know me? Are just trying to get rid of me because I make you uncomfortable by speaking the truth?”

Myungsoo broke his crossed arms and slip his hands into his pockets along with a deep sigh. “No is no. Don’t make me kick you out and kindly leave please.”

“What would someone like him say? Of course, he rejected my offer without giving me a chance.” Sungjong said, dropping onto the two-seated couch under him. As he leaned back and relax he could hear the disappointed sigh on the other end.

“And so? What are you going to do now? Are you just going to give up? It’s not like you to give up after the first try.”

Sungjong inhaled in heavily before answering, “I’m going to try again tomorrow. Don’t worry.”

“Good! Now that’s something Sungjong would do! Hey listen, I got to hang up now but call me tomorrow and see if anything happens okay?”

“Wait, Ryosuke!” Sungjong said to stop the boy from continuing.

“Yeah?”

Sungjong thought for a moment then shook his head. “Nevermind. See you later.”

“Oh. Yeah, see you!” After Ryosuke hung up, Sungjong let the sound of beeps beat against his eardrum. As Sungjong lowered the phone he sat in silence with his head hanging down a little. Then slowly he shut his eyes and drifted into a short nap.


Myungsoo was flipping the pages of a photo album when he came across simple pages of a woman. The lass was beautiful and had a tiny waist, as revealed by the tight outfits she wore. Her hair was wavy and fell just around her elbow. The darkness of the room has spread far apart and into every corner of the room as night came. Myungsoo was lying down on the couch while staring across and over to the surface of his desk, where the photo album has been placed. With his arms wrapped around his body, Myungsoo soon fell into a deep, warm slumber.


When morning came Myungsoo threw on a dark blue jean jacket over his black t-shirt and navy blue pants. On his way out from his studio, he opened the door and heard a clash behind it. As he poked a head out first to see what it was that he had hit, he heard groaning and saw the back of a woman with long, straight, pink hair. She was tall and skinny and her skin as white as milk. “Oh, I’m sorry are you alright?” Myungsoo hurried out to apologize, it wasn’t until the person spun around that his face suddenly hardens. “You?”

[Credits where credits belong]

Sungjong smiled a beautiful smile and wave to him. “Good morning!”

Myungsoo cleared his throat and tucked his hands into his jacket pockets. “Why are you here again?”

Sungjong kept his smile and answered. “Can’t you see? Don’t I look like a woman?” Myungsoo took a quick glance and awkwardly look away, causing Sungjong to clicked his tongue. Sungjong had on a light blouse and tight jeans with a pair of tennis shoes. “Are you ignoring me now, now that I’m dressed like this first thing in the morning?” Sungjong accused. Myungsoo whipped his attention towards Sungjong’s direction causing their eyes to lock for a moment before Myungsoo broke away again.

“You think doing this will change my mind? I thought I made it clear that I do not want any male customers at this time?”

“Why are you so stubborn? Whedoes photographers get to choose their customers? You’ll have to come up with a better excuse than just saying that I am a man and you don’t like me in order for me to go elsewhere!” Sungjong couldn’t help but raise his voice. He was strongly against the way Myungsoo think and was aware that the real reason why Myungsoo won’t take his photos was still hidden from him.

Myungsoo noticed the attention gained by bypassers and quickly turned to Sungjong to shush him. “What are you? Are you trying to cause a scene here?” Myungsoo asked under a dangerous whisper, making Sungjong frown. Without waiting for a response, Myungsoo spun around and began walking away from the sight. Sungjong scoffed and in his breath.

“You jerk.” He snapped and glared at the back of Myungsoo.


Myungsoo handed the cash he owed to the cashier and received a drink in return. “Thank you for coming.” The cashier thanked him before he nodded and headed out of the small market. Outside Myungsoo popped the top of the bottle off and took a few sip. As the cool and fresh drink ran down his throat, he shut his eyes and breathed in the air. For a split second, he felt the peace in the air around him, until someone stepped in.

“If you won’t help me then I’m going to make a scene right here and right now.” Sungjong said. Myungsoo on the side forced his eyes to open and gaze toward Sungjong beside him.

“You’re starting to get on my nerves.” Myungsoo stated but the feminine-lad ignored his words and instead began talking again.

“Let’s make a bet then. If more than the people I ask thought of me as a woman and that we make a good couple. You’ll take my photos with no charge.” Sungjong said, Myungsoo who was obviously against the idea crushed the bottle in his hand and turned his whole body to face the skinny man.

“Why would I? Why should I? Just why—?”

“You said you work only for yourself right? That’s why you don’t charge anyone for anything. If you can take just a few photos of me, just how much would you lose honestly speaking? If you can’t accept this deal then I will keep bothering you until you agree to take my photos.”

Myungsoo was really at a loss for words. “You, I have never met someone so demanding in all my life. Why does it have to be me? If you know Yamada then shouldn’t you ask for one from him? After all didn’t he become a star?”

“So you knew?” Sungjong asked, leaving Myungsoo dumbfounded. “Yesterday you acted like you know very little about what your skills has done for your clients. But today you’re admitting that it’s really thanks to you that they have became popular.”

“I—”

“All I ask is a few photos. I’m not asking you to become my personal photographer. Just until I become popular with a few photos. And when that time comes, I won’t seek you out anymore.”

Myungsoo heaved an exhale and spun to stand side by side Sungjong once again. “If you can get three people here to believe that you’re a girl then I’ll accept your offer to work together, this once.”

Sungjong revealed a small smile, “Call.”


Sungjong was whistling while pushing the hangers with clothes on around. Myungsoo who was standing behind him made annoyed expressions. “Seriously, how dumb can people be that they can’t see that you’re a guy?” Myungsoo mumbled but Sungjong could hear him clearly. Thus the pretty lad spun his upper waist around in order to meet Myungsoo’s eyes over his bony shoulder.

“Why? They were just innocent people. Are you mad because you thought I couldn’t convince them?” Sungjong’s question almost sounded like an insult to Myungsoo, but the taller man let it slide since he had no comeback.

“Can I help you find anything, miss?” An employee asked. Sungjong whirled around with a wide, bright smile.

“Yeah! Do you have a smaller size for this dress?” Sungjong asked, earning a nod from the lady. Myungsoo wanted to laugh at the man’s question. How could he wear something so small and even skinner than the smallest size the dress came in for women.

When Sungjong took too long to try on the many outfits he has chosen, Myungsoo decided to wait outside. After noticing that Myungsoo was gone, Sungjong rushed out with shopping bags in his hands. “Here you are! I thought you left me behind!” Sungjong said with short breaths as he came to a Myungsoo leaning against the wall.

With an annoyed sigh, Myungsoo moved away from the wall. “You’re so loud. Anyway, don’t try to find me later or within three days from now,”

“Why?” Sungjong asked blankly.

“I need some time to set up the set.” Myungsoo said before taking a further step away from Sungjong, but was stopped when the lad grabbed his sleeve.

“Let me help you.”

Myungsoo ripped his arm away from Sungjong as a sign of refusal. “It’s fine. I got it.”

“Then at least let me come by tomorrow. Even if it’s just bringing you lunch.”

Myungsoo pivot a few degrees to face Sungjong at a straighter angle. “I said don’t come. Why don’t you get it?” With that said, Myungsoo walked away with irritation.


Myungsoo was just paces from his front door when he heard his phone rang from within his back pants pocket. As he pulled it out, he wasn’t familiar with the number but decided to take the call. “This is Kim Myungsoo.” He said.

“Wow, amazing. I thought that it would a different owner since this is a pretty old number.”

“Lee Sungjong?” Myungsoo guessed correctly by the tone of the skinny man. The high pitched tone of his that can be found nowhere else.

“Bingo. How shady of you, you didn’t even give me your phone number. I had to ask for it from Ryosuke. Do you keep your old number so that your old clients can always contact you?”

Myungsoo could feel the growing headache when Sungjong seemed to be accusing him again. “Why is it your business? Hang up.”

“No! Wait, wait, wait!” Sungjong screamed through the line but Myungsoo slammed his folded phone shut. With a heavy heart, Myungsoo headed toward his front door then made his slow entrance into his dirty studio.

“I’m sorry, sister. It seems I can’t keep our promise. I guess you won’t be the last model I’d ever have photos taken in this place.” Myungsoo rested his hand upon the surface of the photo album. “Please forgive me.”