||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Myungsoo had his arms wrapped around Sungjong’s shoulders and one hand on the back of Sungjong’s head. “Lee Sungjong. I’ve finally caught you. This shadow, has finally caught you.” Myungsoo whispered. Meanwhile Sungjong’s eyes was focused on what was before him, Jang Dongwoo. He saw how Dongwoo slowly lowered his gun.

“Take him away.” Dongwoo said, looking another direction.

Sungjong became confused by what he was seeing. Jang Dongwoo had fired his gun. But at the last minute the bullet struck Yamaguchi on the leg instead. Dropping the older Japanese man onto the floor. Dongwoo turned around to face Sungjong. “If you ruin my plan again, I’m going to report you to Sunggyu.” With that Dongwoo walked over to Yamaguchi as the men around them held the older up. “Let’s go to the police station, Yamaguchi.”

Sungyeol who was just as stunned by the whole event scanned the area, where the homeless were just as confused. “W-what just happened?”


“You thought I would allow only the three of you to handle Yamaguchi? Dongwoo has been working for me even before he was taken in by Yamaguchi. But because of you, Dongwoo’s identity was almost exposed before he could succeed.” Sunggyu stated on the other line. Sungjong who was listening attentively was standing under the shade of a tree around the construction site.

“So, does this mean you never had faith in me or trusted any one of the three of us to follow your orders?” Sungjong asked in a low and calm voice.

Sunggyu sighed on the other end, “You never had my trust from the beginning Sungjong. I was only protective of you because Dongwoo has asked me too. Also, because of your passion as a yakuza I thought I could rely on you even if I couldn’t completely trust you.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“For the past two years you’ve always worked at your own pace and in your own way. You still live in the past, in the country where you were originally from—”

“Then, you also took part in killing my mother?” Sungjong asked, cutting the lad off.

“Don’t get the wrong idea. I knew nothing about Yamaguchi’s plan or where he had planned to expand his territory into.”

“Do you expect me to believe that? Jang Dongwoo could have easily informed you as he’s your spy and informant under Yamaguchi.” Sungjong raised his voice a little just to be cut off by Sunggyu.

“We had to cut ties for at least a year and a half in order to protect his identity. Anyway this phone call isn’t about him.” Sunggyu said then without waiting for Sungjong’s response the lad continued. “This is about your line of work as a yakuza. If you wish to continue then you must end all businesses you have there and return to Japan. A yakuza has the right to live in his own lifestyle in order to blend in with citizens, but a yakuza cannot leave businesses unfinished. However, you should have already known that, right Lee Sungjong?”

Sungjong glanced across the plain where he saw Myungsoo standing with Sungyeol, after sending off the homeless.


“What are you saying?” Myungsoo asked the taller man, who wore an unimpressed expression.

“I’m telling you to stay away from Sungjong. Leave him alone and let him go back to Japan. The reason why big boss may have fooled us was because he couldn’t trust us, or Sungjong. This time big boss didn't just send us so we can check up on Yamaguchi's activities, but because his motivation was to test Sungjong.” Sungyeol said.

Myungsoo pocketed his hands and heaved a sharp sigh. “I don’t know what you’re saying but I don’t approve of Sungjong living as a thug. I won’t let him return to Japan so easily.”

“Thug? How dare you compare a yakuza to a thug? Don’t you know how much safer a yakuza is compare to a low criminal?!” Sungyeol raised his voice, “We do not harm just any one. We protect people from petty crimes, people who draws unwanted attention to our people will be shut down. But you dare compare us to a thug?!” Sungyeol raised his voice.

“Did I hurt your feelings? Thug or not, I don’t like Sungjong working as one. Let alone lead a group of them. You can always find another leader in Japan, right?” Myungsoo asked with little care. Sungyeol blew him off.

“Sungjong is the only leader for me.”

“Why?”

“Because we’re stepbrothers.”

Myungsoo’s eyes widen a little, “What?”

Sungyeol breathed a smile, “Why are you so surprised? Just how much do you know about Lee Sungjong?”

“But, I thought he was an only child?”

“Between his biological parents, yes. But Sungjong and I share a mother, however my father is Japanese.”

“Then she’s also your mother who has passed.” Myungsoo said, earning a nod from Sungyeol.

“Correct. Both of my biological parents are dead.”

“Then the same for Sungjong—?”

“No in fact his father, my step father is still alive. I heard he is in the Philippines and has remarried with a wife and children of his own.”

Myungsoo frowned, “How did Sungjong grow up?”

Sungyeol sighed, “As far as I know, my mother and his father married for business and money purposes. Our mother moved to Japan to expand her family’s business in Japan. But there she met my father and they had me when Sungjong was only two. After his father heard of the news, he ran away with the woman he had an affair with. Sungjong grew up with nannies hired by both parents, since neither side of his grandparents wanted to take care of him all because of his father and our mother’s affairs. It damaged Sungjong’s grandparents’ names.” Sungyeol turned to Myungsoo. “Sungjong has never been truly loved. He doesn’t understand love, he thinks that if he likes someone then it’s love. I grew up with our mother’s love and I knew about Sungjong’s existence before he knew of mine. So I’ve always felt bad for him. That’s why I’m asking you to stay away from him. Sungjong deserves to be loved by someone who would accept him as he is, not someone who looks down on what he does. If our mother was still alive she would have been the one to love him so.”

Myungsoo broke away from Sungyeol’s eyes before speaking. “Just because Sungjong is a Japanese yakuza now, do you think it’s something he would enjoy for the remainder of his life?" Sungyeol's nearly fell due to the lad's surprising question, "I cannot accept who he is now, but I won’t leave his side as well, because I love him.”

Sungyeol frowned at Myungsoo’s last words.

“Lee Sungyeol.”

Sungyeol and Myungsoo shot their heads toward the voice only to see Sungjong facing them. “O-oh Sungjong, what did big boss say?”

“I will tell you the details later. For now try to contact Woohyun and make sure he’s alright. The news of Yamaguchi may have already reached Kim Saeron.”

“Then what are you going to do?” Sungyeol asked with utmost curiosity.

“I want to speak with Kim Myungsoo for a moment.” Sungjong said, meeting gazes with the one mentioned. Sungyeol nodded as he understood and left to make the call. Meanwhile under the shades, Myungsoo and Sungjong stood their grounds. “Earlier you came in front of me, what would you have done if the gun was really pointed at me?”

“I’ll take any bullet for you Sungjong. But I hope this will be the only time I’d have to attempt it.”

“Are you again telling me to quit the path I’m on now?” Sungjong asked under a rough tone.

“You’re worth more than this. A yakuza is too much of a complicated and dangerous job for you. I hate the thoughts of hearing, seeing, or even imagining you in trouble, that’s why—”

“Is that your reason for following me here? You wanted to protect me from harm by jumping in front of me? Do you take me for a coward, Kim Myungsoo?”

“No, I simply did it because—”

“Because you love me?” Sungjong asked, causing a momence of silence.

“Why are you acting this way? I thought we’ve already confirmed our feelings for each other?” Myungsoo grew anxious, afraid of where Sungjong was going with the heating conversation.

“And we did.”

“Then why are you acting this way? If you go back to Japan then it’s like you’re trying to run away from me even after knowing how I feel.” Myungsoo despised how calm Sungjong was. It could only indicate that he had something plan and may break Myungsoo's heart any moment.

Sungjong scoffed a little, “I guessed as much. Lovers are only lovers when they’re together. The minute they separate, they forget one another. If that happens to us then I suppose we’re not meant for each other—”

“Don’t compare us to your parents!” Myungsoo raised his voice, hearing how it had become shaky, “We’re not like them. We’re not together because of money nor because of just some unfinished business. We’re here right now because we’re interested in each other enough to discuss about it.”

Sungjong closed his eyes and smiled a little. “Even after three years, it seems like our relationship cannot work out in the end.” Sungjong then opened his eyes to lock down Myungsoo’s. “Three years ago, it was only I who fell into a one sided love track. This time it seems you’re alone, Kim Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo bolted forward to grab onto Sungjong's arms, almost begging the younger before him, “Don’t lie to me. Don’t pretend to act like you don’t feel anything just so I’ll give up. I won’t let you go back to Japan so easily. I won’t be separated from you!”

Sungjong managed to throw off Myungsoo's hold with a movement of his arms before speaking, “Do as you please, I’m returning tomorrow.” Sungjong stated before turning halfway around only to be stopped by Myungsoo’s voice.

“Sungjong….I need you,” Myungsoo whispered, “ever since you came back and when I first saw you again, I couldn’t tell but I’ve always needed you. Can’t you try to understand me a little? Must you be stubborn until the very end?”

Sungjong turned back around to face the lad head on. “This doesn’t have to be the last time we’d meet. But our paths are completely different. I yearned that lifestyle of a yakuza, while you want to live as a famous photographer in South Korea. There’s no way we can be together no matter how much thoughts we try to put into it.”

This time Myungsoo’s eyes had turned red and water formed in his eyes a little. “Sometimes I just want to give up on you, but you’re too important to me. So, I’ll go with you to Japan….”

Sungjong turned back around and took a step closer to Myungsoo as he placed a hand on the taller man’s head. “Pathetic fool. Just stay here where you’re comfortable. I’ll visit once in awhile.”

The howling of the wind began to pick up and soon after all presences from the site were gone.


Hoya was standing behind a podium with many mics before him, as well as reporters, photographers, and interviewers. “How long have you been in a relationship with Kim Suzy?” A woman near the front ask.

“How did you two start dating?”

“You’re a superstar and is dating a beautiful model, would you have any words for your fans?”

Hoya scanned the room but all he could see was the continuous flashing of photographers cameras. “I’m going to make this clear.” Hoya said, earning everyone’s ultimate attention. “I want to clear the name of Yamada Ryosuke from three years ago.”

“Yamada Ryosuke?” Chattering rose between reporters in the crowd.

“What do you want to make clear?”

Hoya looked around the room some more until the chattering began to die down. “The man Ryosuke was caught with three years ago wasn’t just any ordinary man. But it was me.” The flashes increased and so did the questions until Hoya silenced them with his statements. “Yamada Ryosuke and I aren’t strangers, in fact we were familiar with one another even before my career as a super star. But because I was afraid that I’ll be a book that no one would read, music that no one would listen to anymore, and just a movie playing in an abandoned theater, I chose not to come out. And so it was because of me, Ryosuke had to end his career early and flee to Japan. So today I wanted to make it clear because I want to become a book that would open the eyes of many people. I want to share music with a variety of genre under the name of love to the old and new generations. I want to create a movie that would be replayed in a crowded theater, and that is love. The love I share with Yamada Ryosuke, not as friends, but as lovers.”

The room became dead silent due to Hoya’s words. In which the man quickly ended.

“I hope our love would be acknowledged even among stars and our fans. I did not mean to deceive anyone who may have loved and supported both Ryosuke and I. However, I hope that one day I can freely roam with him and in the eyes of the people, where people would acknowledge us as a couple. I don’t want anyone to get hurt because of me and Ryosuke, but if it’s something I must do to protect our love then I ask for forgiveness beforehand. Because afterwards, I won’t seek any more forgiveness and I won’t give excuses. Thank you for everyone’s interests and time here today in this room. Thank you for listening to my story.”