|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Sungjong grabbed onto Myungsoo’s collars and pulled him in, “You jerk, don’t play with me. I’m serious, if you get too close to me than you’ll be the one who gets hurt.”

Myungsoo kept still as Sungjong tighten the grip around his shirt. “I’m not playing with you. For some reason, you make me feel different. It’s like you complete me.”

Sungjong hauled Myungsoo onto the ground, making the lad grunt. Sungjong’s eyes were shaking as he spoke in a dangerous low tone. “Do not lie to me, I won’t be played by you again. If you continue to get in my way with lies and waste my time I will really do something to you!” People around stared but no one dared to intervene. Myungsoo exhaled heavily with a soft chuckle as he gave up and lie against the cold cement. Sungjong finally released Myungsoo and moved away.

Then the pretty man walked away before Myungsoo could get up. People started moving around Myungsoo once Sungjong was out of sight. “Are you alright?” People asked. Myungsoo ignored them and could only hide his face from the humiliation.

Who knew or could have imagined Sungjong to attack in public under everyone’s eyes?

No one did.


Woohyun and Sungyeol opened the door for Sungjong. The look in Sungjong’s eyes made them move away from the door before they could welcome him back. As Sungjong headed upstairs, Woohyun and Sungyeol exchanged confused gazes. “D-did you see his eyes? Or was it only me?” Woohyun asked.

Sungyeol shook his head in terror, “I wonder what he ran into.”

The two had relocated themselves. On the first floor and in the restroom, Sungyeol was washing his face meanwhile Woohyun leaned against the door, waiting for him. Woohyun’s eyes were wide open after hearing from Sungyeol. “What do you mean Sungjong was one of Yamaguchi’s man? Isn’t this Yamaguchi the enemy of Kim Sunggyu, or big boss?”

Sungyeol hummed as he shook his wet hands and dried his face with a clean rag on the side. “The main reason why Sungjong is so highly praised and cherished among the yakuzas is because of his previous position. I don’t know the details but I heard that Sungjong went through a near-death experience, and because of that boss takes extra care of him.”

Woohyun’s mouth unconsciously fell opened a little. “So Lee Sungjong isn’t just a yakuza? But he used to work for this Yamaguchi guy?”

Sungyeol heaved a sigh, “Yamaguchi isn’t just some guy. He’s one of the most powerful and influential leader of yakuzas in the history of organized crime organizations. Many who enter the yakuza world only wants to work under and for Yamaguchi. It’s amazing how our group is still in piece. With just one word, Yamaguchi can wipe us out. Also his parts around the world is no joke. Yamaguchi has his hands in everything and every government, if he wants to he can control Japan’s government. The only thing keeping him from doing is Japan’s police enforcement, or another part of authority in government.”

Woohyun nodded with impressed eyes. “Sounds like a very powerful guy.”

“That’s because he is one.” Sungyeol said before smacking Woohyun’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, even if Yamaguchi discover our plan and try to get rid of us, we won’t just vanish like that. We’ll end up re-grouping and discover new ways to bring down an amount of Yamaguchi’s power.”

Without knowing, Sungyeol wasn’t aware that he had just revealed an important factor about Sungjong to Myungsoo who had just made it, quietly back home.


“So? You’re saying not one name on the list stiked out as familiar to you?” Sunggyu asked on the other line, in which case Sungjong nodded.

“Correct, it looks like they’re all either new hires or have changed their names.” Sungjong said, holding the paper in hand.

“Still, keep an eye on any suspicious activity that goes on in Rose Hotel. Also, it’s best if you hired someone to stay there and have them sniff around. Maybe we’ll be able to catch something then.” Sunggyu suggested.

“I’ll take your words into consideration and find someone to do so, as soon as I possibly can.” Sungjong said before Sunggyu hummed.

“I’ll be waiting for your call then.”

Sungjong hung up and head over to the door. Before he was about to open it, he noticed the turned of his doorknob on the other side. Unexpectedly Sungyeol and Woohyun came in with mixed expressions. “Sungjong!” Sungyeol said in a high tone.

“What do you want barging in like that?” Sungjong snapped, the taller settled himself down before speaking.

“Can we eat out?”

“Why?” Sungjong asked.

“Well it’s dinnertime and we haven’t eaten so….Woohyun and I thought we’d have you come along….” Sungyeol said, hoping Sungjong would agree.

“You mean to bring me along so I can take care of the bill?” Sungjong asked, earning an embarrassed blush from Sungyeol.

“Ah, so you knew?” Sungyeol asked with a cheeky smile.

“What do you mean bill?” Woohyun added, “It’s only because we want to eat with you, boss. Besides, while we eat out together, why don’t you tell us a thing or two about the plan?

Sungjong couldn’t help it. It’s true that Sungyeol and Woohyun were brought along to help him with their plan, but little did Sungjong realize that the two were still unclear of the objective. And the best time to explain it to them was with a meal. “Fine. We’ll eat out.”


Their eat out was in a nice restaurant that wasn’t too cheap or too expensive. Woohyun and Sungyeol sat on the outside of Sungjong, leaving the chair in front of Sungjong empty. Thus Sungjong was quietly reminded of Ryosuke. He wasn’t sure what his best friend was up to at the moment, but whatever it is, he was hoping for the best.

Sungyeol gulped down the ball of rice before speaking. “Aren’t you going to eat, Sungjong?” Sungjong eyed the taller male before looking down at his own bowl of rice. He had no appetite compared to his companies. Woohyun who hasn’t had such a delicious meal and food to eat was busy digging in. His current dish was slowly washing away the taste of prison food in his body system.

“You two lured me out here to talk about the plan right?” Sungjong asked, finally grabbing all eyes and ears at the table. “What about the plan did you want to know about? Since catching Yamaguchi is quite self-explanatory.”

Sungyeol who was shot down with the question became blank. Meanwhile Woohyun raised an unexpected question. “What is your relationship with big boss, Kim Sunggyu?”

“He’s a friend, who I look up to.” Sungjong said, raising Woohyun and Sungyeol’s eyebrows.

“A friend you look up to?” Woohyun asked, “That’s it?”

Sungjong thought for a moment whether or not to go in depth. Then he decided just shortly after. “We go way back. You can say we’re each other’s saviors.”

“And what do you mean by that?” Woohyun asked for more clarity, meanwhile the tallest latter just listened on the side.

“I encountered a problem two years ago and was saved by Kim Sunggyu. As of now, I am returning the favor by keeping him out of Yamaguchi’s interest and radar. By doing so, I make sure there’s no spy among us and I tighten the defenses of Sunggyu’s clan.”

“The problem you’re talking about, does it involve Yamaguchi?” Woohyun asked. Sungjong eyed Sungyeol who hid his eyes in a split second.

“So you’ve already heard from Sungyeol.” Sungjong said, turning to Woohyun.

“The basics.”

Sungjong showed approval to Woohyun’s answer. There was no chances Sungyeol would have known the details as to what happened. The secret was kept only between Sungjong and Sunggyu. “That’s right, it involves Japan’s most feared yakuza leader, Yamaguchi.”


Myungsoo was sitting in his room. The house was left dead silent with him alone. “The main reason why Sungjong is so highly praised and cherished among the yakuzas is because of his previous position. I don’t know the details but I heard that Sungjong went through a near-death experience, and because of that boss takes extra care of him.” Myungsoo heard the voice of Sungyeol replayed in his mind and it sent chills down his spine. He brushed a hand over his flawless face and heaved a sigh.

“Exactly what happened to you in the last three years, Lee Sungjong?” Myungsoo whispered to the ghosts in the room. “You’re so...different.”


“I worked under Yamaguchi along with his many informants. My duty was to gather as much information from every area and groups as possible. We were also taught how to hack into systems, especially those involving large cash. Then we blackmail people into giving us what is needed to expand Yamaguchi’s power and control. Recently Yamaguchi has made it clear that he’s interested in the control of Tokyo, but really, his main goals are foreign countries. While other groups are focused on Yamaguchi’s move to control Japan, the man was already building groups overseas. As an informant with decent skills among his more advanced and talented informant, I was used as bait. My group was invaded and slaughtered by a larger group of yakuzas, Yamaguchi’s men, our comrades. We were side characters that Yamaguchi didn’t want to keep alive, because we could become a threat. So Yamaguchi decided to get rid of us. But on that same day, Sunggyu’s clan happened to be around. After saving me and learning of my identity, Sunggyu asked me to join him.” Sungjong explained.

Two years ago.

Sungjong opened his bruised eyes to the silhouette of a man sitting beside him. “Can you hear me?” A man asked. Sungjong’s eyes wandered aimlessly until he felt he saw the man in a clearer light.

“W-where am I?”

“That’s not important. You were badly wounded so I had you taken in. We saw you go head to head with Yamaguchi’s dogs.” The man said, implying the men who had attacked Sungjong’s party.

“W-who are you?”

“Kim Sunggyu, gang leader of INFINITE.”

“I-Infinite?” Sungjong asked weakly. While in his unstable condition, Sungjong searched his memory and mind for any facts he could recall about the group. “Gang leader? Then you must be Kita Sunggyu.” Sungjong said, earning a surprised expression from the older.

“You know who I am?”

Sungjong breathed a heavy smile. “Why wouldn’t I? I study yakuza groups for a living.”

“Study? No one can easily obtain facts on yakuza groups. Which gang are you from?”

Sungjong sighed, he could feel the drowsiness slowly eating at him. “Y-Yamaguchi’s.” Then unknowingly Sungjong fell into an unconscious slumber.

Sungjong had the collar of his shirt pulled down, exposing his pale skin to Woohyun and Sungyeol. But what caught their eyes wasn’t the paleness of Sungjong’s skin but rather a cut wound. In other words, a scar. “This scar was made from the center of my chest and runs all the way around and toward my left side. I could have died and my organs could have came pouring out if it wasn’t for Sunggyu."

The horror of the image left Woohyun and Sungyeol speechless.

There I also learned that even if one faces betrayals, one will also meet friends. So there's no reason to sulk, people will come and go.” Sungjong said. "You asked me what was the relationship between Sunggyu and I?” Sungjong then asked, looking only at Woohyun. “You can say that without the other, we would have ceased to live sooner than we were meant to. Thus our relationship is one fated to coexist. Which simply makes us friends.”