||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Woohyun held up a piece of paper with digits on it, Sungyeol ripped it from the man’s hold to see if it was real. Woohyun had on the largest smile he could make. “What do you say? Was my first mission as a yakuza a success or what?” Woohyun asked. Sungjong breathed a cooled smile.

“Sure, you succeed. Congratulations.”

Sungyeol who heard Sungjong’s compliment scowled. “Your success my bottom. It was thanks to my good acting skills that she fell so easily into our trap, and even gave you her number.” Sungyeol said, handing the paper back to Woohyun, who took it with a stuck out of his tongue.

“So what now, that I’ve gotten her number?” Woohyun asked.

Sungjong shrugged, “Gather as much information as you can about her. Anything that can be used as blackmail later.”

“Eh….Isn’t that easier said than done?” Woohyun asked, but Sungjong brushed him off.

“She’s your responsibility now, feel free to use Sungyeol as a loanshark of some sort. Make her believe in your new identity. Meanwhile, I have other things to take care of.

“What other things?” Woohyun asked.

“Sungjong found our next guy.” Sungyeol answered for the pretty man.

“Really? Who is he?” Woohyun asked.

“You don’t need to know, for now, just focus on Kim Saeron as I’ve said before.” Sungjong said, leaving Woohyun curious.


In the midst of the silence within the van, Suzy was sitting in the chair next to Hoya’s. “I know it’s not your business. After you’ve become a star….Myungsoo was none of your concerns. But I caught him doing something I still can’t understand.”

Hoya look over, though he kept quiet and allowed Suzy to continue. “Why of all people, did it have to be with another guy?”

Finally Hoya intervene, “Did something happen between you and Kim Myungsoo? Last time I heard, you two were traveling the world, planning your wedding?”

Suzy scoffed at Hoya’s questions. “Myungsoo had no plans to married me. Even after moving in together, he suggested different rooms.”

“Wasn’t it all done to protect your image?” Hoya asked, this time Suzy looked up.

“My image?”

“I’m sure there’s a reason why. As a former student of his, Myungsoo usually have his reasons. Everyone do.” Hoya said with a growing smile. But Suzy shut it down immediately.

“Our plan from three years ago. Let’s carry it on.”

Hoya eyed Suzy, his smile faded in a flash of seconds. “The plan?”

Suzy hummed, “I’m going to show Myungsoo. What happens when he tries to like someone else.”  


Sungjong stood on a bridge that overlooked traffic from below. The similar scene brought back the memories of two and more than a half years ago.

Sungjong was walking into his mother’s mall, with a bag strapped around his chest, when a gun was fired and startled everyone in the building. Sungjong who had flinched, cowered against the floor along with the people around him. “Nobody moves! Or I’ll shoot you!” A male demand. The sound of women screaming and being hushed with the direction of the gun could be heard. Meanwhile beside Sungjong was a man with wavy, brown hair. The jaw of the man’s was long and large, and his lips were full. Sungjong could hear the lad cursed under a whisper. “I said don’t move!” The voice of the man roared. Though he was nowhere in sight, Sungjong could feel him closer than he may be.

Then Sungjong noticed the man before him, looking back at Sungjong. “Hey.” He began, catching Sungjong’s attention. “Want to help me?” Sungjong scanned their surrounding and wondered why the man would ask him. He noticed that the majority around them were only women, hiding their faces into the ground, and children tucked under their mothers or guardians body.

“W-what are you going to do?” Sungjong uttered. The man showed a smile.

“Let’s catch this bastard.” The man said, there Sungjong noticed the largest smile he has ever seen. The man’s evenly, white teeth took over almost half of his face.

The man had started to crawl back toward the door, until the heavy sound of footsteps approached them. “Stop right there! Or I will shoot!” The Japanese man said under a dangerous tone. Sungjong noticed how the man had on a face mask where only his eyes were visible. Otherwise he was covered in the color black from head to toe.

Sungjong did what the man wanted him to do, to crawl farther back toward the door. “You, stand up.” The criminal who had noticed Sungjong’s movements demanded. Sungjong froze, unsure if the man was talking to him. “I said stand up or I’ll shoot you!” Sungjong peeked around to see that the man was already closer to him than he had imagined. Sungjong slowly stood up with shivers and did as he said. “Put your hands up and turn around!”

Sungjong turned around to face the man in a mask. There the man pointed the gun right before his face. Sungjong flinched at the piece and swallowed the growing lump in his throat. “Are you him? The one I’m supposed to make a deal with and kill?” The man questioned. Sungjong couldn’t answer or let alone make any sound. Words were stuck in his throat just as much as the lump. Then behind the criminal, he noticed the man from before was slowly standing up. When the man was about to jump the criminal, the masked man was already aware of his attack, thus turning around to fire a shot straight at the lad. The male grunted in pain and dropped to the ground with heavy breaths.

The criminal turned quickly to point his gun at Sungjong before he did anything else. When the masked man could sense only fear from Sungjong, he focused his aim at the one on the ground. “Seeing that you tried to sneak up on me, I figure you’re him then?” The masked man asked.

The man lying on the ground didn’t speak and only glared up at the man. “I like the way your gaze is. It’s full of hatred and regret. After I kill you, I’ll kill your leader and send him to be with you in hell. Don’t worry, I won’t let you wait long.” The masked man said, before firing one more shot toward the man’s leg, making him cried in pain. This time, Sungjong who was awoken by the cry of the man, grabbed a hold of his bag and wrapped it around the man’s neck. From behind Sungjong was strangling the masked man who was caught off guard, while the man tried to fight back, Sungjong took heavy steps backward and pulled the man onto the ground. In the process the man dropped his gun.

Sungjong used all of his strength to choke the masked man, but the man was much stronger. Thus after a short struggle he managed to yank the strap around his neck. Forcing them to be ripped out of Sungjong’s hands, forming new cuts. The man then got up and kicked Sungjong on the face, knocking the bony man onto his back with gaspy coughs. “You piece of !” The masked man growled and kicked Sungjong’s side, causing a loud thud. With every kick and punches he took, the people all around screamed. Until finally a gunshot dropped the man right beside Sungjong.

Blood was forcing its way out of Sungjong’s throat when he could see the figure of the man from before in front of him. The lad had stood up on his one unwounded leg with the gun in hand.

That day the sound of ambulances and sirens could not stopped ringing in Sungjong’s ears. While Sungjong and the unknown stranger was rushed into the hospital, Sungjong later only learned of the death of his mother. The first shot he had first heard, was aimed at his mother’s chest. Days later, while Sungjong was in the hospital for severe injuries done to his rib cage, the man showed looking as if he haven’t been affected at all.

“Thanks to you I made it.” The man smiled, with two men standing behind him, “My name is Jang Dongwoo. When you’re out of the hospital, I was to introduced you to my boss. He was quite amazed with what you’ve done.”

It was just weeks after where Sungjong was brought in front of Yamaguchi, they stood on a bridge looking over the road under them. Yamaguchi was a good looking man despite his age. He was the representation of power, even his posture was belittling to bystanders. “I heard about your loss. But you saved one of my best boys. Can I do anything to help you?” Yamaguchi asked. Sungjong didn’t like the feeling he was getting from the men around him. They seemed dangerous and out of his league.

“I’m f-fine.” Sungjong said, plastering a smile on the man’s wrinkled face.

“Would you like to join us? If you come under me, you will be valued and protected. We’ll help you fend off any harm intended to you. After all you’ve helped one of my men, the enemies would want your head.”

Sungjong gulped down the thought of it. “If I come under you….You’ll make me stronger?”

“Yes. After all, it’s my forte to do so.” Yamaguchi said.

Ever since Sungjong agreed to join the man's group, organization, he was slowly learning about the ways of the yakuzas. He was trained under Jang Dongwoo, who turned out to be a Korean, but worked as a Japanese informant. He had his hands in the South Korea’s government.

Sungjong blew a breath of air as he pulled out his phone and made a call. On the other hand he heard the sound of music blasting through his ear once the call was picked up. “Hello? Who’s this?” The receiver asked.

“It’s me, Lee Sungjong. How are you, Jang Dongwoo?”


Ryosuke was checking into the hotel when the woman at the counter look up at him. “Checking in alone?” She asked.

“Yeah….That’s alright right?”

“Of course,” the lady chuckled, “it’s just this hotel is made mainly for couples. So if you check in with a partner then it’ll be cheaper.”

“Well….I’m alone.” Ryosuke said. The lady hummed and continue with whatever she has to do to get Ryosuke a room.

“Since you’re Japanese, I’ll give you a discount. It’s part of our policy here.” She said, putting a soft smile on Ryosuke’s face.

“Thanks, I’d appreciate that.”

Inside of the room, Ryosuke was greeted by the room that fits the hotel’s name, Rose Hotel. Everything was the color red, almost blinding him. The only white was the wallpaper, pillows, and smaller objects including a white couch. Meanwhile the sheets over the bed, the curtains over the window, and the floor was a cinnamon red.

Ryosuke opened up the closest to find that there were clean robes hanging inside. As he pulled one out, he walked into the bathroom were the tub was shaped as a heart and the toilet was just as red. “Just how much money did it take for them to build this place and keep it going?” Ryosuke thought to himself quietly.


Hoya was sitting alone in the spacious living room of his, pondering on what to do. “I’m going to release the news about us. I want to see how Myungsoo would react.” Hoya brushed a hand through his spiky hair and heaved a depressed sigh.

“If you do that, then what do I do with Ryosuke?” Hoya asked to no one. The question was late and intended for Suzy. “Will he feel the same way, if the news gets to him?” Hoya then rubbed his hand over his face. “Ryosuke….Forgive me….”