|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Sungjong was leaning against the fence on the bridge, waiting for Dongwoo’s response after making the first call. He hasn’t seen Dongwoo for over two years, but he bet the man hasn't changed at all. “Lee Sungjong?! I haven’t heard from you in...forever! Where are you? ” Dongwoo asked on the other end.

“Jang Dongwoo, there’s a favor I’ll like to ask from you.” Sungjong said, after a brief moment.

Dongwoo laughed on the other line, “It’s that urgent huh? You won’t even tell me how you’re doing.” Then his chuckled died down, “What is it? Tell me, if I can help you then I certainly will.”

“You still have connections with South Korean government officials, right? I need some hardcopy information.”

“On what? What are you up to this time?” Dongwoo asked. With the sound of beating dying down in his background.

Sungjong looked up into the endless, clear sky. “I’m going after Yamaguchi.”

Sungjong heard a Dongwoo breathed a nervous chuckle. “You’re not talking about my former boss, are you?”

“You mean your current boss?” Sungjong asked cheekily, “I am.”

This time Dongwoo’s tone wasn’t gleeful, lively, or happy but rather serious. “So you knew I’m working under him? Yet you’ve got guts to asked for a favor from me about my boss?”

“Yeah.” Sungjong answered too honestly. Dongwoo in his breath before responding.

“Why did you think I would do that?”

Dongwoo’s question marked a smile on Sungjong’s face. As he had planned. His plan was working. “Did you think you can hide Kim Saeron in Korea?” Sungjong asked only to be greeted with a strong silence. “Of all places why did you choose to make her stay in Rose Hotel? After all, weren’t you the one who told me that hotel in particular belonged to Yamaguchi?”

“Did you come back to live just to threaten me?” Dongwoo asked. Sungjong heaved a satisfied grin.

“Threaten? Have you ever seen any yakuza threaten their victims? I’m blackmailing you, Jang Dongwoo.”

“Lee Sungjong you—”

“Decides whether or not you’ll help me with my request. Ah, and if you try to report me still being alive to Yamaguchi then feel free to do so. But I’ll let you know that you’d be putting Kim Saeron’s life on the line if you do so.”

Dongwoo scoffed on the other end, “Why does it matter? If I refuse your request then aren’t you going to do something to her as well?”

“Correct.”

“Then, I might as well report you to Yamaguchi and get rid of you before you can make your next move.” Dongwoo said under a dangerous tone.

Sungjong who didn’t bat an eye looked away from the bright sky and sighed. “Still, you’ll have to locate me before you can do really get rid of me.”

Dongwoo clicked his tongue, “Aren’t you using your phone? Haven’t you heard of a tracker?”

“I’ve installed a bug into my phone. My calls are most likely untrackable. The bug allows my phone to obtain ten different numbers and lines. If you try to track me, you may even find me in Russia or Austria. But if you’ve already decided that I’m in South Korea than you’d still have to track my call to see my specific location. And before you arrive, I’d already flee the scene. There’s no chances of you finding me, Jang Dongwoo. Just give up.” Sungjong said.

The man on the other line growled a little. “If you touch one hair on Kim Saeron’s body, I’ll torture you to death once I get my hands on you.”

Sungjong sighed with relief, “Then you’d better hurry and find me.” With that Sungjong hung up on the lad. He took another look into the clear sky and smiled a little too peacefully. “I suppose I’ll be joining you soon enough, mother.”


Sungjong and Myungsoo came to a stop at exactly the same time just outside of Myungsoo’s home. Myungsoo was the first to look away, putting on a barely-visible victory smile on Sungjong’s face.  Then the prettier lad made the first step toward the front door, just to be stopped by Myungsoo. “Lee Sungjong. Can I have some of your time?” Myungsoo asked softly. Sungjong turned around halfway to see the man looking into his eyes.

“What is it?” Sungjong asked, his voice bold as usual.

Myungsoo broke his gaze away for a moment to build the courage to continue. “Can we talk somewhere else?”

“Speak your mind, Kim Myungsoo. The setting should have nothing to do with what you want to say or do. That’s what I’ve been taught.” Sungjong stated.

Myungsoo exhaled sharply, dragging the silence between them for a moment. Then he sighed heavily, “I….I wanted you to know that the me three years ago has never liked you in the sense of love. We were practically strangers. And your actions back then scared me. You were the first guy to ever confessed to me, and now that you’re back you’re scaring me even more.”

Sungjong flattened his eyes a little, “So? What is it are you trying to tell me exactly?”

“Stop what you’re doing. You’re involved in something dangerous.”

“And what is it to you? Did I put you in any danger?”

“Lee Sungjong I’m serious! This is about your safety—”

“Why are you concerned about my safety? I can protect myself, I don’t need you to tell me—”

“The way you’re acting right now is not what you’d considered protected!” Myungsoo raised his voice even more to win over Sungjong. “If you hurt yourself than you’ll hurt those who are concern about you. You’re purposely being stubborn and hardheaded to keep yourself from getting hurt, but it’s not healthy and safe!” Sungjong grabbed onto Myungsoo’s collar and hauled him closed to him, locking the handsome man right in the eyes.

“What’s your point?”

Myungsoo chest rose and dropped rapidly. “That you still like me, you haven’t changed. At least not your feelings. You’ve just put up a shell around you and no matter how many times anyone tries to get too close or touch you, you’d try to beat them down with that shell. It’s a common act, I’ve done so as a child. You’re not you right now, Lee Sungjong. And since I do not know what really happened to you to make you build and put up such a hard shell, at least I know that your feelings for me hasn’t changed.”

“And who gave you the permission to decide my feelings?” Sungjong asked through gritted teeth.

“You can’t deny it. You still like me Sungjong.”

Sungjong released Myungsoo, making him stumbled a few steps back. “The only thing I can’t deny is that you’re starting to annoy me. Don’t pretend you know what’s going on or how I’m feeling. You’re a pest and only a rug I’m using to clean my shoes before I walk off elsewhere. So just be a good rug and let me wipe my shoes, don’t try to tell me where I should step next. And like a rug, just be quiet and sit in one spot.”

Sungjong turned around and headed inside, leaving Myungsoo alone under the late afternoon sun.


Woohyun and Sungyeol was sitting at a table, enjoying their ice cream. At one table, they noticed Kim Saeron sitting with her group of friends. They laughed and talk about something that was barely audible for the two men. “Do you think her friends are single? Now that I see it, they all have models’ bodies.” Sungyeol said, earning a scoff from Woohyun.

“Hey, quit staring and just on your ice cream. Remember, you can’t make yourself known to any one of her friends until I’ve finally wrapped Kim Saeron within my grasp.

“And how are you going to do that?” Sungyeol asked, in which case Woohyun flashed a cheeky smile and pulled out his phone.

“Watch and learn.” Woohyun then pulled out the paper with Saeron’s number on it. As he dialed her number, he was also looking across the room. There he saw how Saeron pulled away from her group of girlfriends and answered his call.

“Hello?”

Sungyeol who has finally caught on to what was happening glanced back and forth between the two.

“Oh, it’s me, Woohyun.” Woohyun said.

“Ah Nam Woohyun? You’ve finally called me like you said you would. How are your injuries?” Saeron asked.

“They’re better now thanks to you.” Woohyun said, Sungyeol raised an eyebrow at the man’s lie. “But where are you?”

“Ah I’m with my friends. We’re at an ice cream shop.”

“Oh really? Then I guess you won’t be home soon, huh?” Woohyun asked under a sad tone.

“Huh? Home? Are you at the hotel?” Saeron asked and Woohyun hummed. “I’ll be there soon, wait for me a bit.” Saeron said. Woohyun hummed and hung up. All Sungyeol saw was Saeron getting up and apologizing to her friends for having to leave early.

“What happened?” Sungyeol asked. Woohyun snapped his fingers in victory.

“Sungyeol, when a woman is truthful about where she is then it means she likes you.” Woohyun said before getting up.

“Where are you going?” Sungyeol questioned with a worried tone.

“I have to hurry and get to the hotel before she gets there.” Woohyun answered as he toss his half eaten ice cream into the trash beside him and pulled down his clothes.

“What hotel? Rose Hotel? You’re going to meet her there?!” Sungyeol asked a little too loud. Woohyun answered with a grin.

“Yeah. If I don’t come back home tonight, just know I’m probably busy with her. So sleep well.” Woohyun rushed out before Sungyeol could stopped him.

“Damn it. I never got to play with well off women.” Sungyeol commented which sounded more of a whine.


When night came, Myungsoo, Sungjong, and Sungyeol was left alone in the house. There were no signs of where Suzy have went. Woohyun whose heart was set on Kim Saeron hasn’t returned yet. And Lee Sungyeol was fast asleep after eating out. When Sungyeol eats out alone, he has a higher chance of stuffing himself without the others giving him a time limit.

Sungjong slept, in a buttoned up pajama shirt, with his arms folded over his chest and the back of his head leaning against the headboard of the bed. Even asleep, the firmness of his face was visible. Even in his dreams, Sungjong was facing mysterious events happening all at random.

Myungsoo made his entrance as quietly as he could. The only light that shone against Sungjong’s face was made by the lamp on the nightstand. Myungsoo walked over and sat on the edge of the bed, trying his best not to wake Sungjong. While observing Sungjong’s sleeping face, he noticed a frown forming on the latter’s pretty face.

Myungsoo reached over and gently pressed down Sungjong’s frown. Then once the frown was gone, something else caught Myungsoo’s attention. Myungsoo thought he saw a dark colored, fat line just hidden under Sungjong’s shirt. Myungsoo unknowingly reached over and pulled down the man’s shirt a little, noticing that the line was longer than he thought. And before he could continue to trace it any further, Sungjong opened his eyes and grabbed a hold of Myungsoo’s wrist.

“Sungjong, I—”

“What do you think you’re doing?” Sungjong asked, causing Myungsoo to become flustered.

“I—I was just curious what it was on your chest.” Myungsoo answered truthfully.

“Why are you in here?” Sungjong asked, tightening his hold around Myungsoo’s wrist, squeezing it.

Myungsoo winched at the growing pain but tried his best tough it out. “I, I just—”

“Do you want to confirm it?” Sungjong asked, confusing Myungsoo.

“Confirm what?”

“My feelings for you?” Sungjong asked. Myungsoo who wasn’t sure what Sungjong meant, but tried to pull his wrist again. However, Sungjong’s hold was unexpectedly too strong. “I’ll confirm it for you, here and now.” Sungjong used his free hand to grab onto a side of his shirt, where he ripped it open, making buttons fall in different places. Then he pulled Myungsoo closer and placed the lad’s warm hand against his bare chest, covering his scar. Myungsoo who could feel the beating of Sungjong’s heart glanced up to meet Sungjong’s gaze. “So, is it clear now, how I feel about you?” Sungjong asked.

Myungsoo felt weak to the stomach and knees. The warmth Sungjong was emitting was strong, in fact so strong that even Myungsoo’s body had began heating up. “Your heart….It’s beating really fast.”