|||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Myungsoo who couldn’t sleep much at all last night was off to bed in the moving bus tour. With Suzy sitting beside him, she was chattering with her girl friends who had joined the ride. Each girl had a date, men from dark to light skin, Caucasians to Mexican and Asians. “Is your boyfriend sleeping, Suzy?” Her white friend asked, Suzy look over to see Myungsoo leaning his head against the window.

“Gosh just how hard were you two getting it on last night?” Another friend teased.

“I bet you’re good in bed, Suzy.” One of the man commented, earning giggles from Suzy’s friend, but a smack from his own girl.

“Jacob shut up!”

“The question is, how good is your handsome boyfriend.” One of her friend, a hispanic, said.

“Stop it girls, if you’re going to put anyone on the spot then pick Jessica.” Suzy said, directing it toward her only Caucasian friend.

“Suzy!” Her friend cried.

As they continued to chat away instead of focusing on the tour of the scenes, Suzy leaned back in her seat and look over to Myungsoo. “Just who was the one on the phone yesterday, Myungsoo?” She asked quietly.


Sungyeol cried out loud and fell to his knees, “What do you mean we can’t stay here?!”

“I’m sorry but this shack belongs to my deceased father. Before he passed, he asked that I not let anyone live in it, let alone visit or clean it.” The older said. Sungjong who had his hands pocketed could only sigh, meanwhile Woohyun and Ryosuke stood off to the side.

“But we helped your people out, can’t you just let us stay for a few days?” Ryosuke asked. Woohyun who was already disgusted with the idea of a deceased homeless elbowed the Japanese.

“I’m sorry. I would love to provide a home for you, but we’re already crowded as it is. Plus, if we were to get anyone of you sick, it will pain us.” The elder said again. Sungjong who fully understand hummed.

“We’ll be leaving then. Thank you.”

“Thank you, young man.” The elder said with a bow. Sungjong who only bowed his head was the first to be ready to leave. But before they can do so, the older call for Sungjong’s attention once more. “Wait son, here’s your phone.” Sungjong looked over and saw that the man had it in his hand. “One of my people attempt to steal and keep it. But unlike my father I do not want my people to be thieves. So I sincerely apologize and want to return this to its rightful owner.” With that being said Sungjong reached over to grab his phone.

“Thank you, elder.” Sungjong said before proceeding to leave. Meanwhile the rest of his group followed with heavy footsteps.

“Why is finding a place to stay all of a suddenly so difficult? Back then I can easily find abandoned places and just stay in there.” Woohyun commented. “Especially after that witch left me.” Sungyeol who still couldn’t understand Woohyun shifted his focus to Sungjong.

“Sungjong, what are your plans now?”

“I need to find a time to gather information on Yamaguchi.”

“I’m aware of that but I’m talking about a home.” Sungyeol said. Sungjong heaved a sigh and spun around.

“What do you expect me to do, Sungyeol?!” Sungjong’s sudden temper caused curious eyes among his crew. “I’m trying to find us a place to stay without being caught and used as blackmail to our boss. While you fools just worry about a roof over your heads, I’m the one who has to take into consideration everything! I have to calculate our moves, the time and days we have left, and along with the responsibility of you guys! I’m trying so give me a break! Bear with the moving around, bear with me the traveling. Everything, just bear it with me!”

“I-I’m sorry….I-I get it, s-sorry Sungjong….” Sungyeol said under a low voice. Sungjong tried to calm himself down. Silence filled the air until Sungjong made a quick turn of his feet.

“You guys must be hungry, I’ll treat you guys today.” Sungjong calmer comment put even sadder expressions on his friends’ faces.


Myungsoo who was still asleep was finally waking up. He noticed that the bus had come to a stop off to the side of the road, and outside of his window he could see the sea and the people playing on the beach. It looked like the whole group on the bus was enjoying themselves for a stop. Unknowingly Myungsoo opened his phone, almost expecting a message or call from a certain someone. But instead there were none. After getting back together with Suzy, the only person he would have a need to contact was her.

Myungsoo opened up his messages and just under the messages between his and Suzy’s was Sungjong’s. The male found himself opening up the messages and re-reading what has been sent more than three years ago. “Just why couldn’t I even reply to any one of your messages…?”

It was a snowy and cold day when Myungsoo first got the chance to meet Nam Woohyun, the one who suddenly showed up as Suzy’s husband. Woohyun was looking at the wall behind the set, the wall of photos that usually catches just anyone’s attention. “Suzy talk about you a lot, you, her younger brother who she really loves. I heard you loved her just as much, or even more?” Myungsoo who was standing by his desk only watched the back of Woohyun. “I guess you don’t speak much, huh? Even Suzy told me that. But you know, I don’t like you. Not because Suzy’s always talking about you, her younger brother. But every time when she does, it doesn’t sound like you’re just her brother. She speaks of you as like some sort of ex-boyfriend of hers. It’s actually annoying, but anyway she’s my wife now so it doesn’t matter how she speaks of you.”

“Then why are you here? What do you want?” Myungsoo asked.

Woohyun flashed a smile as he turned around to face the latter. “After our honeymoon she took off. Just packed up and left. I was actually wondering if you’re hiding her.”

“What do you mean she’s missing?”

“Did I say missing?” Woohyun asked with a scoff, “I said hiding. Suzy isn’t missing, she’s hiding from me.”

“Why come to me? I have not seen her ever since she married you.”

“No?” Woohyun asked, “Usually family contact one another. I guess Suzy really sees you as some sort of boyfriend material, huh?”

“You’re not husband material yourself if you don’t even know what or why your wife would run and hide from you.” Myungsoo said but Woohyun quickly shot him down.

“Oh I know fairly well why she would run and hide. The question is, do you? I heard that everyone comes to you for a good drawing of themselves. Like all of these people in these photos. But in the end you’re nothing to them. Just, how many of these people consider you a friend or family? Not even Suzy, your older sister seems not to care enough about you to contact you. You’re unwanted.”

Ever since that day, Woohyun’s words left a big impact on how Myungsoo saw himself. Someone, to only be used and not needed or wanted. Thus he wanted to limit all that he has or need. But ever since Sungjong came in, the boy who would contact Myungsoo non-stop and lecture him about this and that, Myungsoo just couldn’t stop himself from thinking about the guy. For Myungsoo, Sungjong made him wanted, not just useful but wanted.

But it was too late for him. Sungjong was mad at him and who knows if the kid was still into him. Myungsoo dropped his phone onto his lap and lean back against the chair. Outside he could see that Suzy and her friends had began a game of volleyball on the beach. Each and every one of them were down to their swimwear.

Then his attention was grabbed by the vibration of his phone. Myungsoo looked to see who the caller could possibly be and in no surprise, it was the devil.

Nam Woohyun.


Sungjong and Ryosuke watched as Sungyeol slurped down his third bowl of ramen. The man froze in their eyes and acted innocent. “What? A big guy like me got to eat a lot to have enough energy for the day.”

“That isn’t why we’re staring.” Sungjong said, making Sungyeol’s eyebrows rose.

“T-then why?”

“When are you going to pay me back for all that I’ve fed you?” Sungjong’s question made Sungyeol choke.

“But you said this was a treat! Right?” Sungyeol looked to Ryosuke for backup, “Aren’t I right, Ryosuke?” In order to keep the teasing alive, Ryosuke only smiled. Sungyeol who felt cornered released an exaggerated sigh. “You guys are too much, seriously.” Sungyeol then wrapped his arm around his three empty bowls like a kid hiding away his share. “I want one more bowl.”

Sungjong sighed, “Go ahead.”

“We’re going to watch your stomach explode.” Ryosuke’s random comment made Sungyeol clicked his tongue.

“This Japanese, really.”

“What? Aren’t you half Japanese?” Ryosuke asked, cornering the tallest guy even more.

“Forget it, I’m not going to talk to you!”

Ryosuke and Sungjong let Sungyeol be as he sulk on his own. “Woohyun’s awfully taking his time in the restroom.” Ryosuke’s statement made Sungjong look toward the way of the bathrooms.


“Miss me?” Woohyun asked. Myungsoo on the other end kept quiet instead. “Why aren’t you answering? Having a good time with my wife?”

Myungsoo finally spoke up, “Are you out of prison already? They should have kept you in there longer.”

“You rascal. You’re seriously still trying to piss me off. Listen, we can bicker all day and talk about the past, but I need something from you.”

“Since when did we do each other favors?” Myungsoo’s mocking question made Woohyun know immediately that it wasn’t going to be easy, making a deal with the lad. “I mean, I guess I’m the only one who has been doing you favors. Remember the time when you lied to me, that you have Suzy, and that if I pay up then you will give her back to me? I think you still owe me a lot before asking anymore from me.”

Woohyun scoffed. “That was because you were dumb and fell into my trap. It has nothing to do with favors.”

Myungsoo kept quiet for a moment then spoke again. “What do you want?”

“Your studio. Lend it to me.” Woohyun said.

Myungsoo scoffed in disbelief. “You have the guts to ask me that?”

“Like I say, if you put the past behind us then this is out of sincerity. I’m back in Korea and we need a place to stay.”

“So you made friends at the prison? About time.”

Woohyun was getting fed up with Myungsoo’s remarks and heaved a sigh. He didn’t want to piss off his only chance at getting the studio. “They’re not friends from the prison, rather they’re former clients of yours.”

“What do you mean?” The tone in Myungsoo’s voice changed instantly.

Woohyun then knew he had Myungsoo around his finger. “The man who threw me in prison to save your , Lee Sungjong. And the Japanese man, Yamada Ryosuke. Funny how he called you trustworthy.”