|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Sungjong kept silent for a moment and so Myungsoo turned back to look up at the ceiling. “Is the reason reasonable, Lee Sungjong?” Myungsoo asked.

“Sungjong! Sungjong!” Sungjong and Myungsoo could hear Sungyeol calling for Sungjong earnestly. Sungjong heaved an annoyed sigh and moved away from Myungsoo, where he grabbed his pants from the ground and put it on recklessly. Then as he picked up his shirt, Myungsoo sat up with the blankets around him.

“What’s your answer going to be?” Myungsoo asked. Sungjong toss his shirt over his shoulders and eyed Myungsoo.

“Kim Myungsoo. Just how bad do you want me?”

Myungsoo who was surprised by the sudden question felt numb for a moment. “I—”

“If you cannot answer that much then quit confusing yourself. You still don’t know what you really want.”

“No, I know what I want. I want you Lee Sungjong.”

“And how bad do you want me, Kim Myungsoo?”

“Like a shadow wants a divine creature. I want to become your shadow, to always be close to you.” Myungsoo said, almost too quietly.

Sungjong flashed a smile. “That’s pretty bad.”

“Hey Sungjong! Where are you?!” Sungyeol’s voice was brought back into their hearing range.

“Shadows can only appear if it’s bright, but right now it’s still too dark for you, Myungsoo.” Sungjong said before walking over to the door and opening it, “That being said, once my work here is done then we’ll meet again. Because then my days after should be brighter. And until then, you can act as my shadow.” With that Sungjong left the room and Myungsoo was alone. But a smile grew on Myungsoo’s face.

Outside the room, Sungjong noticed Sungyeol coming out of Sungjong’s room. The tall man wore a surprised and worried expression. “Sungjong!”

“What are you so worried about?” Sungjong asked, walking closer to Sungyeol.

“W-worried? No it’s just—”

“Just what?”

“It’s big boss Sunggyu….” The sound of the man’s name made Sungjong flattened his eyes.

“What about boss?”

“He’s….He’s on the phone. Here.” Sungyeol said handing his cellphone to Sungjong, who took it without hesitation. He can already guess what the boss had to say. The news of Sungjong being in a relationship must have reached him already, after all Sunggyu must have set stalkers around Sungjong, in order to keep him out of any unnecessary danger. But when he took the phone into his hand, he heard differently.

“In about an hour Yamaguchi is going to appear at the site. Sungyeol will lead you there. Do not let Yamaguchi get away. If you succeed in helping with bringing Yamaguchi into prison, I will grant you power.”

“What site boss?”

“Follow Sungyeol. Do not waste time and do not do anything reckless.” Before Sungjong could questioned the older some more, Sungjong handed Sungyeol the phone.

“What did big boss say?”

“You’re going to lead me to the site?” Sungjong asked, Sungyeol stumbled a little in surprise. “What site was he referring to? What did you hide from me?”

“B-but how did he know…? Only Woohyun should have known unless Woohyun told him…?” Sungyeol said speaking his thoughts aloud. Sungjong grabbed Sungyeol’s collar and hauled the taller closer.

“Where’s this site? I’ll go alone.”

“Y-you can’t—It’s dangerous, wait until Woohyun gets here too then we’ll all leave together—”

“Woohyun is safer staying out of this, you too. Now tell me where this site is!” Sungjong demanded, making his shirt that was resting on his shoulder drop down.

“N-no! I won’t let you go alone! You’ll die if you go alone! And as your brother I can’t accept that!” Sungyeol declared, Sungjong swing a punch at Sungyeol, dropping him onto the floor bottom first.

“That’s why I need to go alone! So tell me where it is before I kill you with my own two hands!”

Sungyeol huffed as the pain stung his lips. “I-It’s….It’s that place. Where Woohyun t-took us once. T-the abandoned storage.”

Sungjong bent over to pick up his shirt before putting it on. “Don’t follow me you pathetic fool.” Sungjong cursed, meanwhile Sungyeol damped at the cut on his lips. Sungjong then left as fast as he could, heading for the exit without a care in the world. As the reporters who were now resting outside noticed Sungjong leaving, many tried to stop him but Sungjong pushed his way out.


Sungjong was covered in sweat as he waited under the shadows made by the trees. In front of him was the same construction site he witnessed from before. Except this time there were more to it than just a few logs, nails, and wires. Walls were put up and more tractors were brought in. Men were seen watering the dirt as tractors roll over it to even out the ground. It was in the distance where he saw Yamaguchi and Dongwoo standing in a group of circle, discussing the project.

The sight of Yamaguchi had Sungjong’s blood boiling. The memories of soulless compliments, effortless care, and betrayals returned to Sungjong. What made Sungjong even angrier was the fact that his mother died in her own mall, all thanks to Yamaguchi who had decided on the meeting place. Yamaguchi must have known about the number of people at the area on a day like that. But still he set up the location for Dongwoo to meet a man who had intention of killing Dongwoo.

Sungjong watched carefully where every smile on Yamaguchi’s face disgusted him.

After a while Sungjong was done with watching and walked forward, approaching Yamaguchi and the rest of the workers around the area. “Yamaguchi!” Sungjong called. There, everyone’s eyes went to the singled out man.

“Who is he? What is he doing here?” Yamaguchi asked under a whisper.

Dongwoo leaned closer to the older, “Don’t worry about him. I’ll take care of him.”

Dongwoo stepped forward to block Yamaguchi from Sungjong’s view. Sungjong who noticed it came to a slow stop. “Jang Dongwoo.” Sungjong said in an annoyed greeting tone.

“Lee Sungjong, why are you here?” Dongwoo asked, cocking his head to the side to appear as intimidating as he could.

“My target is Yamaguchi. I’m going to make him pay for what happened two years ago. After my mother’s death and him pretending to take me in, I never thought he knew my mother was the mall’s CEO. So after he bribed his way into getting the mall, he dared try to get rid of me?” Sungjong asked. Dongwoo smirked a little.

“What proofs do you have?”

“Kim. Sae. Ron.” Sungjong said slowly. Dongwoo raised an eyebrow but said nothing. “The fact that you’re hiding her, despite the fact that her father is one of the most influential and dangerous man alive, doesn’t it seem too desperate? You hid her knowing I’d come after her. You’re the proof to Yamaguchi’s plan to take over my mother’s mall in Japan, right?”

Dongwoo’s smirk grew into a cold grin. “How did you guess?”

“It was obvious when Yamaguchi had plans to get rid of me. The man who you shot wasn’t just any criminal, in fact he was a hired man. I know you well Jang Dongwoo, you tend to hire outsiders to do the dirty job of playing as the bad guy. You approached me knowing I was the CEO’s son and you even succeeded in putting me through missions so that I would be distracted, meanwhile you and Yamaguchi were slowly ripping my mother’s wealth and fortune from me. But my mother was wise, she made it firm that no one can receive a large amount of her money except for her son. So unless I die, you won’t get anything.”

Dongwoo scoffed a sigh, “Since you’ve figured that much out, I guess I failed at keeping you busy.” Dongwoo then took a step closer. “And now that you’ve known, I guess you’ll have to die here too. Lee Sungjong, this time for real.”

A reckless smirk became visible on Sungjong’s face. “You rotten bastard, Jang Dongwoo.”

“Goodbye Lee Sungjong.” Dongwoo then took a step back, “Get him!” He demanded the men around them. Thus every men, even the lads in construction costume wear approached Sungjong in a flash. As the men attacked one by one, Sungjong kept their distant by countering their moves right away. But before their fight became too heated, they heard the call of someone.

Everyone turned around and Sungjong noticed Sungyeol before anyone else. “Sungjong!” Sungyeol cried, “You can’t die you idiot! If you do then who will take care of me? Who would buy me my meals? Huh?!” Sungjong breathed in disbelief. “That’s why, I’ve brought back up!” Sungyeol shouted, there Sungjong noticed the crowd.

The homeless.

“You’re unbelievable.” Sungjong mumbled to himself.

“Everyone, let’s beat those bastards up!” Sungyeol declared before they charged in.

Yamaguchi turned to Dongwoo who wore a satisfied grin. “What are you doing?”

Dongwoo leaned over, “Don’t worry, I have a plan in mind.”

As the homeless charged in with Sungyeol, the smell of their bad hygiene spread in as they attacked the workers. Sungyeol came to Sungjong as the clash happen around them. “Sungjong!”

“Idiot I told you not to come!” Sungjong shouted.

“How can I leave you alone? Mom will kill me if I let you go alone.” Sungyeol said but before Sungjong could spill a word, they heard Dongwoo’s voice.

“Lee Sungjong.” As they both looked around they saw how Dongwoo was pointing a gun straight at them. Dongwoo has moved closer to them from what Sungjong could remember. Sungyeol stumbled a little at the sight of the gun. “I’m sorry but your bad deeds end here. I’ll send you to your mother, then I’ll have your brother follow after you.”

Sungyeol breathed heavily through his nostril. “S-Sungjong.”

Sungjong locked eyes with Dongwoo but didn’t bat an eye, even after Dongwoo removed the safety lock on the weapon. “Take a deep breath Lee Sungjong, it’s going to be your last.” Dongwoo said before slipping his finger against the trigger. Before he could fire the shot, Sungjong felt the weight of another’s body in front of him.

The figure’s arms were wrapped around Sungjong and completely blocked Sungjong’s view from Dongwoo.

Then the shot was fired.

And soon the bullet struck into human’s flesh.

Sungjong’s eyes widen at the one before him.

Kim Myungsoo.