||||||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Sungjong continued to look Myungsoo right in the eyes. Until finally the ringing of Sungjong’s phone came to live. Sungjong then broke away from the lad to check the call. While looking at the caller’s ID, Sungjong glanced over to Myungsoo. A test, to see whether or not Myungsoo would excused himself. When the man didn’t move a step, Sungjong ignored him and took the call. “Why have I only gotten through to you now?” His boss, the one named Kim Sunggyu asked on the other end.

Sungjong blinked before answering, “There were some issues after getting here. Sorry to keep you waiting.”

“No need. I was only a little worried. After all you’re the only one I can trust and here you are, in another country.”

Sungjong glanced downward, “I’m sorry.”

“Putting that aside, how is work down there?” Sunggyu asked.

Sungjong peeked over once more to see Myungsoo still in position. “Because of the issues we’re a bit behind. But I’m sure I will catch something soon.”

A sharp sigh came from the caller before speaking again. “Good, report to me as soon as you do. Do not let your past there consume your time, understand?”

“Yes boss.” With that Sungjong hung up after the older had done so. Looking across the room, he could see that Myungsoo was quite amused by his short conversation.

“What are you? Part of a mafia now?”

“I guess that gives you one more reason to be afraid of me, right kid?” Sungjong asked, this time Myungsoo heaved an offended scoff and look elsewhere. Then he quickly recover just to face Sungjong again.

“You’re really starting to piss me off with your attitude.”

Sungjong smiled, “Well then, the exit’s behind you.”


Woohyun and Sungyeol came out of their new room after hearing the sound of pans and pots. As they head downstairs, they noticed it was Myungsoo. The man was throwing fits, banging pots and pans.”What do you think happened?” Sungyeol asked, in which Woohyun replied with a wide, satisfied grin.

“Looks like Lee Sungjong put up a great fight.”

Sungyeol stared at Myungsoo for a moment then smiled. “Are you happy to be under a leader like Sungjong now?”

“Yeah.” Woohyun answered, taking peeks at the man in the kitchen.

“What are you two doing?” Woohyun and Sungyeol stumbled at the sound of Sungjong’s voice. They saw how the pretty man was standing at the top of the stairs.

“Oh you, look.” Woohyun said pointing toward the kitchen, Sungjong who came down leaned over the stair and noticed that his group has been watching Myungsoo. With no interest Sungjong pulled back.

“While you’re here don’t act reckless. I’m heading out to gather information.” Sungjong said. As he made his way towards the front door, he paid very attention to what’s behind him.

“Reckless he said.” Woohyun said, putting on a even bigger grin.

Myungsoo who had caught sight of Sungjong leaving, also noticed the heads of Sungyeol and Woohyun. The two troublemakers quickly hid, making Myungsoo even more angry. He had become a laughingstock to Sungjong’s group and it didn’t feel all that great  


Hoya was seated beside Ryosuke on a bench, inside of the practice room. In his hand was a mp3 player, Hoya grabbed a piece of his earpiece and was about to plug it into Ryosuke’s ear, but the Japanese flinched to the side and reached for it instead. “I can do it.” Hoya flashed a toothy smile and allow the man to do it, then he put the other in his own ear and played the soft song, “Guren”. As they sat side to side, the atmosphere was rather quiet. Until Hoya started.

“Remembered when we spoke about manga with Sungjong? After he finally got me the series Naruto, I was drawn into the different factors that would complete the piece. That was the anime and its music. And so, the thoughts of meeting you again one day made me learn your language. I practiced speaking and reading it so much that at times, I’ll say it in front of a Korean crowd.” Hoya said, putting a weak smile on Ryosuke’s face. Hoya then changed the topic to keep them from being too awkwardly quiet.

“I don’t know why you came to me but I’m glad you’re here. Even if it means you haven’t returned my feelings yet.”

Ryosuke didn’t answer and instead leaned over, resting his head on Hoya’s broad shoulder. They finally sat in silence and allow the music to take over the only sound in the room, along with their in-sync breathing.


Sungjong was standing outside of a tall building, at least six stories high. “Yamaguchi has a hand in a hotel/restaurant in South Korea named Rose Hotel.” The voice of the informant came back to Sungjong for a brief moment. Then the lad made his first moves into the construction. At the counter a pretty woman greeted Sungjong. It didn’t take a moment for Sungjong to noticed her origins, a Japanese Korean woman. “Welcome to Rose Hotel, sir. What can I help you with?” She asked. Her accent was obvious Japanese though she spoke in Korean, that much couldn’t fool Sungjong.

“I have a question for you.”

“Yes, sir?” She asked in a high pitch voice.

“How many employees are there here?” Sungjong asked, earning a “sorry?” from the miss. “How many workers are there, Japanese descent?”

“Hm….”

After retrieving what he needed, Sungjong head for the exit, but was unexpectedly greeted by Myungsoo. Sungjong stopped to sigh as Myungsoo look around. “Rose Hotel? Are you planning to leave my place already?”

Sungjong ignored Myungsoo and walked the other direction, but Myungsoo caught up almost immediately. While walking down the street side by side, Myungsoo had turned around to where he was walking backwards, in order to get a clearer look at Sungjong. “You haven’t thought of leaving yet, have you?” Myungsoo asked again.

“Let’s pretend not to know each other.” Sungjong said, looking straight ahead.

“Why?” Myungsoo questioned once more. “Is it embarrassing? To see two good looking guys together? Afraid they may think we’re a couple?” Myungsoo asked in a teasing tone. But Sungjong kept his poker face. At this rate he wouldn’t be able to report in anything soon to Sunggyu.

“No, I’m afraid an accident may occur and I’ll be accused of trying to put your life in danger.” Sungjong said frankly, Myungsoo the side of his lips then turned around again, in order to keep up with Sungjong.

“Since you keep talking that way, I’m started to wonder if you’re a runaway criminal from Japan. Did you make an escape with Woohyun?” Sungjong came to a stop and so did Myungsoo. “Why? Did I guess correctly?”

Sungjong wasn’t impressed by Myungsoo’s acts. As if Myungsoo had nothing better to do, but follow Sungjong around. “You can keep guessing, I won’t tell you anything. It’s not like I’m interested in what you do anyway.” Sungjong stated, putting an amused smile on Myungsoo’s face.

“Then should I tell you what I do? Or would you rather hear about why I keep you around me?” Myungsoo asked. Sungjong cocked his head to the side and then looked Myungsoo right in the eyes.

“No thank you.” Sungjong turned back to the road and then took the first step forward. Myungsoo who was just following Sungjong’s steps and his eyes glued on Sungjong wasn’t paying any attention to the road. Thus Sungjong fooled him into stepping into a busy road.

Then to the side the oncoming truck honked at Myungsoo. Before Myungsoo could react Sungjong grabbed a hold of the man’s shirt and hauled him back. Myungsoo who was pulled back with great efforts ended up almost clashing face to face with Sungjong; leaving very little room in between them. Slowly but surely an amused smile was drawn on Sungjong’s face. “Next time stop staring at me and pay attention to where you’re going. Otherwise you’ll end up with a broken bone.” As they stared into each other’s eyes, Myungsoo could feel the racing of his heartbeat. One was out of shock and another for being so closed to Sungjong.

Finally Sungjong released the hold around Myungsoo’s shirt and pushed the man out of his way. As Sungjong crossed the street with the other people, Myungsoo’s mind was still boggled. Until he hurried after Sungjong at the realization of being left alone.

Sungjong and Myungsoo came to a cafe where Myungsoo was drinking his tea while Sungjong scanned the contents of a piece of paper. Myungsoo was full of curiosity but instead he quietly admired Sungjong’s posture. The pretty man was dressed in a white suit jacket with a gray t-shirt. His hair, wavy brown, sat neatly on his head. And his piercings that Myungsoo just came to noticed. Sungjong heaved a troubled sigh and rubbed his nape. Myungsoo could only assume that the contents in the paper was giving the man a headache.

Sungjong finally glanced up to see Myungsoo’s eyes before they ventured elsewhere. There Sungjong folded his piece and hid it away before Myungsoo can ask him any questions. Without a word Sungjong got up, forcing his chair to scrap the tiled floor as it slid back. “Enjoy your stay, I’m going first.”

“Where are you going?” Myungsoo asked, almost too desperately.

Sungjong looked down at the man and sighed. “Give up already and quit asking or following me.”

Myungsoo stood up halfway and reached across the table to grab Sungjong’s wrist before he could leave. “Let me finish first and we’ll go together.” Myungsoo then look around when all Sungjong did was look at him. “Hurry, people are looking.” Sungjong scanned around and saw that eyes were on them. But he ignored their hawk eyes and landed his eyes back on Myungsoo. Without a word he ripped his wrist from Myungsoo, causing some to look surprise.

Sungjong turned around and headed toward the door, soon leaving only Myungsoo as the center of attention. Myungsoo sighed. “He’s still so stubborn.”

While walking alone down the road with his hands pocketed, Sungjong was barely surprised when Myungsoo appeared in front of him again. In fact the man stopped before him and caused him to take a safe step back. “Lee Sungjong, if you don’t answer my question. I’m going to keep following you around until you do.”

Sungjong was closed to having enough of Myungsoo. “I told you, don’t follow me and quit playing games—”

“I’m being serious!” Myungsoo cut in, “Do you only see me as someone who plays around? I’m not playing and I really want your answer, truthfully.” Sungjong didn’t answer and instead waited for him to continue. “I just want to know. When are you planning to return to Japan?”

Sungjong exhaled heavily. “It depends. I’m leaving as soon as I’m done with my work here.”

“Then your stay here depends on your work?”

“Yeah.” Sungjong answered shortly.

“Is your work urgent?” Sungjong wasn’t sure where Myungsoo was going with the questions and answers session but hummed. “How urgent?”

“Three months time.” Sungjong said.

“And then say you’re done. Are you planning to come back here?” Myungsoo’s voice was shaky and Sungjong wasn’t sure why. “Well?”

“Japan is my home now. I have no reason to stay here after work.”

“What if I make a reason for you?” Myungsoo asked almost immediately. Sungjong who was catching on was hoping he had heard wrong. “What if I become the reason why you should return and stay here? Would you?”

Myungsoo’s question felt like a pin shot through Sungjong’s heart.

His heart was racing again, for the very same person from three years ago.

Sungjong knew then, he was in trouble.