||||

Acting As His Shadow

“Lee Hoya. You’re next.” A man said from the door. Inside of the waiting room where the walls and floor were white and mirrors were clean of any traces of dust, the popular Lee Hoya was seated in a chair with a robe wrapped around him while his hairstylist worked on his hair. In his hand was the morning newspaper his manager had picked up for him from a stand outside a market.

“Make sure you use enough hairspray to keep my hair up throughout the whole performance.” Hoya said in a calm voice. His hair stylist hummed and continued to work on the star’s hair.

The ten thousand fans cheered even after they couldn’t anymore. But they kept cheering until they’ve lost their voices. On the large stage, the star Hoya performed many hip-hop songs that got the audience even crazier and louder. After his performance, he would take short breaks by entertaining his fans with answers and stories to the MC’s questions.

In a particular room, one person couldn’t keep his eyes off of the tiny television that had Hoya on live. The figure was in a whole white wardrobe and his hair was long enough to coat the back of his neck. The figure was biting the tip of his fingernail without looking away from Hoya. He took a deep breath before mumbling to himself. “Everyday you gain a new fan. Until when will I be able to reach your level? Until when will you notice me….Hoya?”

“Yamada Ryosuke you’re up next. Get ready.” The same man from before said.

The male known as Yamada Ryosuke heaved another sigh before finally breaking his eyes from the screen. He walked over to the coffee table and grab his phone from its surface. “Why haven’t that Sungjong call or text me back yet?” The man asked with disappointment written on his face, then he sigh deeply and hung his shoulders along with his head.


Myungsoo stood alone and overlooked the flowing river. He observed how the water evilly runs into rocks, carrying and pushing them away from their previous spots. “You’re early.” A voice came from behind Myungsoo. When he turned around he knew it was the one he was expecting. A good looking man with a sharp nose, clean face, hair, and slim body was the one who greeted him. The man was known as Nam Woohyun.

“She didn’t come with you?” Myungsoo asked before the man could even come to a stop beside him.

“Did you think she was coming?” The man asked. This time Myungsoo turned away in order to hide his painful eyes from the lad. “You know why she didn’t come. Especially after your shocking confession to her.” Myungsoo kept his silence and swallowed the lump that was forming in his throat as he recalled the forbidden confession he had performed. “Just go back and forget about her.”

“You know I can’t do that when she’s my sister.” Myungsoo stated. The man, Woohyun, breathed a heavy sigh.

“That’s why you have to do it. It’s for her sake, as well as yours and mine.” His careless words made Myungsoo look over.

“Are you going to treat me like this too? Brother in law?”

Woohyun glared at Myungsoo with eyes of anger. “For someone who only sees his sister as another woman and who only loves his sister, consider yourself lucky that I haven’t killed you yet, as your brother in law.” His words were like daggers thrown through Myungsoo’s chest. “Go home and forget about your obsession with her. She’s not the same girl who used to follow you around and was toyed by you.”

Myungsoo clutched his fists, “Obsession? Toyed? I’d have you know that my love for her is just as pure as any other love out there!”

“Striping, stalking, and playing with her mind and feelings when she wasn’t in the right state of mind isn’t your definition of obsession and toying? Then what is it? True love? Tch, don’t make me laugh Kim Myungsoo.” Woohyun said with a grit of his teeth.

“Did she tell you that?” Myungsoo asked with an evil grin.

Woohyun next motion indicated that he have had it, when he grabbed Myungsoo by the collar and tug the man closer. Their eyes seeing into one another along with a spark of lightning. “You’re the reason why she ran away from her home and yet you come here and speak of pure love? You’re disgusting!”

Myungsoo slapped Woohyun’s shaky arms away. In the short lived contact, Myungsoo could tell Woohyun was trembling with anger. He could tell just how much Woohyun wanted to punch him, to whip the grin on his face off. But Myungsoo couldn’t care less. He enjoy the sight of an anger Woohyun at the topic of his sister. “Disgusting? Should I tell you what’s disgusting?” Myungsoo widen his smirk to taunt Woohyun. “My love for her is pure when yours is just pure jealousy.”

“What?” Woohyun asked under a dangerous whisper.

“Just how many times have you slept with her? You think you can clean her by making her body yours? You think she’s yours now, now that you’ve tried to clean her every night and day? You may have her body, Nam Woohyun. But her heart is mine, her feelings are with mine, and her love is me. You can have and keep her shell, but I was her first. You keep that in mind and go on running back to her like a butler you are, you disgusting traitor.” Myungsoo said in a low, accusing tone. Woohyun stood frozen with shaking eyes.

“You’re....asking for it….Kim Myungsoo.” Woohyun snarled.

Myungsoo pocketed his hands and retreated his grin. “Give me your best shot, you mutt.”


Sungjong paced the floor with his slim fingers around his small waist. “I mean. Doesn’t he know that anyone nowadays can’t live without their phone? Ugh, he annoys me!” Sungjong’s paces picked up until finally a wave of realization hit him and he halted in his steps. “Wait. Ryosuke said he’d text me today about….But without my phone, I won’t be able to… Ah this isn’t good!” Sungjong screamed and fell sideways onto the couch next to him. “I just lost my chance of meeting Lee Hoya in person! Ah!”

The pretty man dropped into the couch nearest to him and sat with his arms folded, and his lower lips sticking out. “When that guy comes back in two days I won’t let him off easy for taking my phone. He’s going to regret being the cause of this unfortunate opportunity.” With his continuous sulking, Sungjong didn’t notice the maid standing by the door’s frame.

“Young master.” The maid in her fifties began to catch the man’s attention. “There’s a phone call for you.”

Sungjong cocked his head to the right, “Who is it?”

“He didn’t leave a name, Young master.”

Sungjong thought for a moment then whispered to himself with wide eyes. “Can it be...that jerk? Someone who wouldn’t leave a name and voice that isn’t recognized by Lady Choi must certainly mean that guy.” Sungjong jumped up from his seat, “Which phone?”

“The main room, young master.” The lady answer, Sungjong hummed.

“Connect it to my room. I’ll take the call there.” Sungjong ordered and quickly the lady obliged to follow his demands. While making his way upstairs to the second floor, Sungjong was awkwardly speed walking up every step. Finally, he came to his huge and spacious room that consisted of a queen size bed, lounging area with three couches and a coffee table, a drawer and closet, and a bathroom of his own.

Sungjong picked up the handle of the phone that was sitting on the night stand by his bed. As he sunk onto the soft cushion covered by three layers of blankets and sheets on his bed, he held the phone softly to his ear. “This is Sungjong.”

“A young master, huh?”

Sungjong knew the voice immediately. And since the boy only listened for the voice and not the content, he has missed what the caller’s first words were. “So, you went through my phone to get to my house phone? Clever move.”

Myungsoo heaved a scoff on the other side, “Where are you?”

Sungjong flattened his eyes. “Are you drunk?”

“Why would you think so?” Myungsoo asked gently.

“You just asked me where I at when you were the one who personally called my house phone. I mean, me talking to you through my house phone doesn’t tell you I’m at home?”

“I meant where in your house.” Myungsoo corrected himself and brushed off Sungjong’s statements.

Sungjong paused for a moment to process what tricks Myungsoo may be up to. “My room….”

“Ah, your room. Next time when I ask, tell me specifically where you are.” Myungsoo said. Sungjong felt chills through his body.

“Hey! You’re starting to creep me out. Why don’t you stop playing games and just hurry back so I can get my phone back? Don’t you know you’re not the only busy body around here? Just how many messages and missed calls has I gotten from my friends?” Sungjong said shooting up from his sitting place.

Myungsoo chuckled on the other end. “Exactly. It’s thanks to your 50 and so friends that your phone’s almost out of battery. Looks like we’re at five percent.”

“Five percent?! Find a way to charge it as soon as possible! I hate it when my phone dies! It kicks me off all of my apps and I have to sign in into all of them again!” Sungjong screamed.

“Too bad your phone’s model is the newer version. Mine is pretty old so the charger will be different.”

“Forget it! Tell me your exact location now! I’ll come for it myself!” Without an answer Myungsoo hung up on Sungjong, causing the pretty lad to almost collapse at the sound of the beeps. “That jerk!” Sungjong cursed and crushed the handle with his grip.


Myungsoo looked at the photo on the front of Sungjong’s phone. “So? This kid likes Lee Hoya, huh?” On the front was an image of Hoya, an image where the star has taken a selfie of himself. “It’s annoying how even after learning from me, this guy still can’t master proper photos-taking.” Myungsoo held the device in between his knees when it suddenly lite up with a message.

To: Me

From: Candy Ryosuke

Jong where are you? Answer your phone and text, please! I just heard that Hoya is no longer available. He’s taken, Jong!