|||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Myungsoo had his arm around Suzy as they sat on his couch together in the dimmed room. It was already dark out but time meant very little to them. Suzy was looking in the album that Myungsoo had always kept of her photos in. While watching from the side, he saw how Suzy pointed to one of her photos. She was dressed in a business woman wear and her hair was shorter and straighter. “You always said one’s photo is better if there were no shadow, how come you left my shadow in this one?”

To  completely understand what she was saying, Myungsoo tilted his head a little and leaned inward. “Why? You still look like a goddess nonetheless.” Myungsoo’s comment made her scoff with disbelief.

“If you say so.” The two smiled in each other care until the sound of banging could be heard at Myungsoo’s front door. “You still get customers this time of day?”

Myungsoo could only smile at her, “I’ll be right back.” As the door he could still hear the banging of someone, as he unlocked and pushed the heavy, old door open, he was surprised to see Sungjong under the moonlight. “You?” Myungsoo who spent more time worrying about why Sungjong was there rather than the reason why, had missed out on the state of Sungjong.

The pretty man was a mess. He had sweat trickling down his forehead even in the colder night. His soft and clean hair was in all kind of direction and on his face were spots of dirt. Sungjong didn’t waste time to grab ahold around Myungsoo’s wrist. “Come with me, quickly.”

Myungsoo didn’t budge even when Sungjong first tried to gently pull him. “Why are you acting this like?” The taller male questioned with an unpleasant tone.

“Just come with me, there’s no time to explain right now!” Sungjong said under a hushed. Myungsoo wasn’t sure what has gotten into Sungjong but he knew that Sungjong wasn’t himself.

“You’re acting strange, let go of me.” Myungsoo said sternly, but Sungjong refused to and tighten his bony fingers around Myungsoo’s wrist, and so he made a grimace of pain.

“I can’t! You have to get out of here quick before he shows up and—”

“Before who shows up?” Myungsoo growled and pulled his wrist from Sungjong’s hold.

“What’s going on?” Suzy asked, from over Myungsoo’s shoulder Sungjong got a good look at Suzy.

“It’s nothing, go back in I’ll be right behind you.” Myungsoo said to her before looking back at Sungjong. “Get lost already, I thought you weren’t going to bother me again?” Before Myungsoo could shut the door on him, Sungjong stopped the man by pushing against it on the other side.

“I didn’t come here just to bother you, Kim Myungsoo.” Sungjong said through gritted teeth. “I came here to save you.”

Myungsoo felt a wave of hatred when he heard the word ‘save’. He has already been saved the moment Suzy walked back into his life, he didn’t need Sungjong or anyone else for the heck of it.

“Then why are you here?” Myungsoo could no longer keep himself calm. Sungjong interrupting his and Suzy’s time was getting on his nerves.

Suzy came closer and stood behind Myungsoo. “Who’s your friend, Myungsoo?” Before the man could answer Sungjong quickly steal his attention.

“Take a photo of me.” Sungjong blurted.  

“What?” Myungsoo asked with a confused expression.

“I told you right? That I’m going back to Japan soon and apparently you still owe me a photo.”

“Do you know what time of the day it is?” Sungjong didn’t bat an eye to Myungsoo’s question.

“When has the time of day matter to a windowless room anyway? All you really need are the equipments and just your personal time, right?” Sungjong asked. Myungsoo bit down on his jaw.

“Are you seriously choosing this time for a picture? Come back tomorrow morning.”

“No!” Sungjong raised his voice then quickly cover it with a clear of his throat, “I mean I want one right now. It has to be right now.” When Myungsoo didn’t answer Sungjong made his way in by pushing against the door; pinning Myungsoo and Suzy against the wall. As Sungjong walked into the room he quickly took off his top shirt and revealed only his tank top. Myungsoo and Suzy who had followed suit were surprised to see him throw the top across the room. “I wanted a photo of myself in my favorite tank top, I hope you don’t mind.”

Myungsoo look over to see an uncomfortable expression on Suzy’s face. Sure, Suzy was an older woman, but to see another man’s body without any warnings must have surprised her. And most of all, Myungsoo was afraid she would think badly of him, for example that Myungsoo would take photos of models.

Sungjong strode over until he was right in the center of the set. “I’m in place right?” When Sungjong noticed that Myungsoo haven’t moved from his spot, Sungjong heaved a sigh. “Well are you going to take my picture or stand there until the end of the night?”

“Myungsoo, what’s wrong with this customer?” Suzy asked only to Myungsoo but Sungjong could hear her crystal clear. In fact Sungjong was still in the middle of trying to decide if she was the sister of Myungsoo or a girlfriend of Myungsoo that Sungjong was oblvious to.

“Maybe it’s because I’ve been too lenient and easy going that you’ve become arrogant.” Myungsoo directed the words to Sungjong. “But you need to learn and understand that this isn’t your home. I am not your butler who does everything you say.”

“I’m only like this because of you.” Sungjong said, making both Myungsoo and Suzy quiet. “When I first came to you, you should have just done what was asked of you. You should have just taken a picture of me and get it over with. But you dragged the only simple task you had and kept me coming back here. And now you call me arrogant? Just whose fault is it really?” Sungjong asked.

Myungsoo brushed the man’s words off. “You said you no longer had the dream to become a star so why would a photo matter to you now? You should have just kept your words and go to Japan.” Instead of replying Sungjong took a few steps forward and pushed over the camera stand before him. The sound of Myungsoo’s camera came tumbling down and crashing against the metal ground.

“Then I suppose you don’t need these anymore? A photographer like you who can’t even supply a customer with one photo doesn’t deserve to possess any of these!” Sungjong then spun around and target the background paper. There he torn the large paper, ripping out the shape of a half circle. Suzy who was more astonished by Myungsoo continued to stand behind Myungsoo and stared helplessly at Sungjong’s actions. “Every required pieces to a real photographer’s collection, you shouldn’t have!”

“Myungsoo why are you just watching him?” Suzy asked. When Sungjong had finally calm down, he turned around to meet their gazes again.

“Why?” Sungjong asked, “Are you just standing there because you’re pathetic, or are you finally admitting that you just don’t have what it takes to be a proper photographer?”

Myungsoo’s answer caught Suzy and Sungjong by surprised. “It’s neither of those. The only reason why I still have the things you’re destroying now is because I wanted to show them to Suzy.” Suzy looked up at Myungsoo while Sungjong eyed the lass. “You see after Suzy left me, I thought about giving up being a photographer every minute of the day. But I never got around to destroying what I had because I thought Suzy will come back to me one day. And she did.” Myungsoo looked to Suzy before meeting Sungjong’s eyes once more. “So I guess for the first time since our meeting, I should thank you for helping me realize that.”


Sungjong wore an unhappy face while Myungsoo stood facing him. They were alone and outside again. This time Suzy stayed inside Myungsoo’s studio. To break the silence between them, Myungsoo was the first to speak. “I guess this is the last time we’ll ever see one another again. Sorry you never got a photo from me. I’m really not cut out to become a good photographer like you’ve said. However, I hope you’ll move on and forget about the picture.”

“Not just a photographer. You stink as a person.” Sungjong retorted.

Myungsoo revealed his teeth along with a smile. “I guess I can’t argue with you.”

Sungjong reached into his pocket and pulled out something. As he held it up high enough for Myungsoo to see his hand, Sungjong slowly opened it, revealing what they were.

The pair of black mittens.

“These are?”

Sungjong moved his hand closer to Myungsoo. “For you. I know you refused to take them before, but this time I want you to keep it, as a memory of me. And even if you considered me a bad memory, it’s alright.”

Myungsoo continued to stand in place. Instead of taking what Sungjong had held before him, Myungsoo pushed Sungjong’s hand away. “You keep them. Give them to someone else you’ll later meet. Maybe that someone will deserve them more than me.”

Sungjong nodded a little with a forced smile. “Maybe.”

“Well be careful on your way home.” Myungsoo said before walking over and opening the door to his studio. Then he turned around to look at Sungjong once more. “It was nice meeting you, Lee Sungjong. Thank you.” And then once Myungsoo was out of sight, Sungjong was left in the dark alone.


On the very next morning, news spread of Ryosuke’s forbidden scandal. Ryosuke was caught kissing an unidentified man in Ryosuke’s own home. All photos and evidences were done and taken by the older man who had encountered Ryosuke from before. With Ryosuke’s image going downhill at fast speed, Ryosuke had no choice but to end his career. The only career he worked for Sungjong.

And soon the two would move to Japan and stay with their parents there.