|||||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Morning was tough for Lee Hoya. Right after his Japan tour, and just moments after his return to South Korea, his boss had called him in for questionings. Hoya was seated across from his boss in the cool and quiet office room, there his boss threw a roll of paper to him. Hoya who was still dressed in his airport wear had on sunglasses. “What’s this?” Hoya asked, reaching for the roll and finally grabbing a hold of it. As he opened it up, he noticed it was papers with colored images. Hoya glance up from the sheets and into the wrinkled eyes of the elder across from him.

“That’s what I’d like to ask you? What is this? Why were you seen in Tokyo when you were supposed to be in Osaka dressing up like that?!”

Hoya sighed and dropped the paper down, then he leaned back in his chair. “Reporters.” He cursed.

“So?! Explain it to me! How many times do I have to bribe you out of a scandal that could have ended your career?!” Hoya removed his glasses at the tone of his boss’s voice. He knew the older was angry, in fact he had every reasons to. Hoya was caught roaming around in Tokyo when he had business in Osaka, it was worth being scold.

“Sorry, I’ll make sure it won’t happen again.” Hoya said under a soft tone. His boss scoffed in disgust.

“It better not.”

Hoya soon entered a recording room with the machines and assets. As he the volume and began blasting music, he went into the room where the sound was even more audible. In the room, Hoya drowned himself with nothing but the sound, rhythm, and beat of the music. With his eyes closed and back to the glass window, Hoya was oblivious to the activity going on outside.

“He’s in here.” The staff, a woman, said as she led Ryosuke into the room. “Lee Hoya.” The woman tried calling but realized that there was no way Hoya could hear anything. “One moment, let me grab his attention—”

“It’s fine.” Ryosuke said cutting her off, “I’ll just wait until he’s done.”

“Oh, alright then. Don’t stay too long though or he’ll get in trouble.” The staff said, Ryosuke nodded.

“Yes thank you. And please thank his manager again for me, for allowing me to come in.” Ryosuke said earning a smile from the lass.

“Sure thing.” With that she left Ryosuke alone in the control room. The youth looked through the window and continued to stare at Hoya’s back. Until finally Hoya turned around slowly to face Ryosuke, and there he opened his eyes as sluggish as he could. Until he locked eyes with Ryosuke for a split second, then rested his eyes again. Great, now I’m imagining him. Hoya thought to himself as the music continue to beat against his eardrums, soon he’ll be used to the level of the beats, that he may even want to turn it on higher. But his action to do so was yet to come. For the meantime he listened carefully to the playing sounds.


On the second floor Sungyeol was just steps behind Myungsoo, while Woohyun and Sungjong fell to the back. “What this it? When you said to stay out of trouble? It was because you were going to make us stay here?” Woohyun asked under a whisper. Meanwhile eyeing the front in case Myungsoo was overhearing him.

“Didn’t I say it? You brought it upon us.” Sungjong commented, making Woohyun sighed with annoyance.

“Fine, I’ll admit I made a mistake, but couldn’t you have threaten him into giving us the studio instead?”

“My tactics are a lot different from yours Nam Woohyun. I don’t threaten, I blackmail.”

“Aren’t they basically the same thing?” Woohyun asked with a confused expression.

“No. Threaten is the act of bad intentions, blackmailing, the way of the yakuza, is to put the act in action.”

“Same difference, but still. Couldn’t you have blackmailed him?”

“With what?” Sungjong asked, knocking some realization into Woohyun, “there’s nothing I know of that could have been used against him.”

“If you asked me I would have immediately said his sister.” Woohyun said, before they came to a stop. Myungsoo gestured toward the rest of the hallway on the second floor.

“Rooms are up here, apparently we only have two guests room, so two of you may have to share. Besides the room is the restroom, try to keep it clean while you’re at it. Down the hall is mine and Suzy’s rooms.” Myungsoo explained.

“Well look at that, seems like even you’re sleeping with your sister.” Woohyun said, but Myungsoo smirked.

“Look again idiot, my room is across from Suzy’s.” Myungsoo said. At the end of the hall were two rooms facing one another. Woohyun scoffed.

“Well congratulations then, I suppose. But does separate rooms mean you’re clean from sleeping with her?” Woohyun asked, but Myungsoo brushed him off with an annoyed look.

“Anyway, since it’s my home. I’ve made arrangements for your rooms. But I thought there were the four of you? Where’s Yamada?” Myungsoo asked, in which case Sungyeol answered.

“He’s not going to be staying here with us.”

Myungsoo flashed a sneer, “I suppose the less people the better then. Either way, Nam Woohyun and you,” Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol, “can share this room. As for you, Lee Sungjong, you can have the room beside mine.”

Sungyeol looked to Sungjong for an objection. But the pretty man didn’t budge and instead answered, “Fine.”

Woohyun and Sungyeol exchanged eyes contact for a moment. They could feel the intensity of the atmosphere around them, coming from Myungsoo and Sungjong.


Woohyun and Sungyeol were standing in front of the bunk bed with nothing else in the room other than an empty closet and some sheets. “Decide which one of you will sleep on the top and which on the bottom.” Myungsoo said while leaning against the door. “However, whichever bunk you decide to take Woohyun, I hope you won’t be getting out of it in the middle of the night to sneak into Suzy’s room. She’ll be uncomfortable if you do so.”

Woohyun look around with flattened eyes. “Punk.” A devilish smirk was drawn on Myungsoo’s handsome face before he walked away. And as he did so, Woohyun hurried to the door just to slam it shut. Sungyeol who was surprised by the action remained silent. “When I get my hands on him again, I’m going to break something of his.”


Sungjong plugged his phone charger into the outlet and sat his phone on the drawer. Then he heard a sound coming from the door and quickly noticed Myungsoo. “Do you like your room?” Myungsoo asked, his hands pocketed and leaning against the threshold on his back.

“Like any other room, it’s nothing special.” Sungjong said, making Myungsoo scoffed.

“Seriously. If you’re grateful than just express it. Insulting the room won’t hide it.”

Sungjong spun around and leaned against the drawer, then he folded his arms over his flat chest. “If you knew already then let it be. There’s no point in expressing something you assume is the obvious.”

Myungsoo clicked his tongue. “Lee Sungjong. Precisely what are you? I expected changes, but you’ve become a completely different person, and it’s not very cute.”

“I’m sorry.” Sungjong said with sarcasm in his tone, “I thought it was obvious that everyone grows up. Besides it’s none of your concerns what I am. Just continue as you used to do, minding your own business. And I’ll mind my own. No need for friendly conversations.”

Myungsoo shifted his position by moving into the room. Where a single bed set him out of reach and away from Sungjong. “Do you want to know why I want you to have this room? Why I want you so close to me?”

Sungjong flashed a smirk, ignoring his question. “All I know is that if you keep me too close, then you’ll be in danger again. Don’t try to impress me or win me over with trickery kind acts. I’ll see through them and when I do I won’t be as merciful as I was three years ago.” The pretty man’s words left Myungsoo speechless. There was no way Myungsoo could get into Sungjong’s heart, let alone his mind. Sungjong had set up an invisible shield made of mysterious elements around himself, and Myungsoo can’t detect how to break it.


Hoya was still standing in the music room, where the music continued to blast, and at the door Ryosuke was slowly making his way in. The Japanese man thought his ears would bleed from the beating of the music, but found that it did little damage to him, compared to his own heartbeat. Beating even faster than the speakers. “Lee Hoya.” Ryosuke started, but in the room nothing spoken could be heard. “I want to ask something of you.”

Hoya only watched as Ryosuke’s lips moved. He couldn’t make out anything that Ryosuke was saying, mostly because the smaller man wore such an emotionless face.

“I have never loved you, Lee Hoya. You made me hated you for always succeeding and accomplishing your own personal goals. You used your own ideas and took your own path to a famous lifestyle such as now. You’re a star among stars. And I hated you because every time you succeed or complete a good deed, you’re always the talk of people. You stole my spotlight and you stole my future. But I have a favor to ask of you.” Ryosuke said, finally the sound of the music came to a fade as the song came to an end.

“Please hold me, Hoya.” Ryosuke said in the silent break. Then the eerily sound of the next song began playing, blasting away their hearing once more. Hoya was frozen in place as he looked down at Ryosuke. He could see his own reflection in the shiny pupils of the foreigner, and then the water that was seen forming in his eyes. When Hoya didn’t move, Ryosuke slowly formed fists with his hands.

It took a lot of courage out of him to confess and ask for a strange favor. And when Hoya didn’t react right away and instead only stared at him, Ryosuke thought he would drown in embarrassment. Until Hoya finally took a step closer to the man and a smile grew on Hoya’s face. “You’re really here.” Hoya breathed raising his hands to gently cup Ryosuke’s chin. “After three years, you’re finally here.”

Ryosuke couldn’t look Hoya in the eyes anymore and lowered his head, there Hoya dragged his feet until he was even closer to Ryosuke and pulled the man into his arms. Hoya wrapped his strong arms around the smaller man and heaved a thankful sigh.


“You speak of merciful in front of me? Merciful was what I showed you three years ago, kid.” Myungsoo said. His emphasize on kid pissed Sungjong off. But the lad kept his cool and grinned.

“All you showed me three years ago was your vulnerability and incapabilities to do anything. You hid like a coward in your studio waiting for someone you claim as your lover, but is really your sister. Regarding ry, you tried to seek approval from the public, because you wanted to love your sister in daylight. Pathetic.”

Myungsoo bit down on his jaw. “Lee Sungjong watch what you say.”

Sungjong detached himself from the drawer and stood up straight and tall. “Same goes to you. If you ever try to provoke me again by spitting lies, then prepare yourself for a rollercoaster of nightmares.” Sungjong then took heavy and slow steps to stand in front of Myungsoo. While staring into the man’s eyes, Sungjong said in the heaviest, raspier voice he could make out. “Understand, kid?”