||||||||||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

“Really we’ve got a place to stay now?!” Sungyeol asked in a high pitch in which Sungjong nodded.

“Whoa, I didn’t think he would give up so easily. You’re really cool Lee Sungjong.” Woohyun complimented him with a thumbs up. Sungjong flashed a short lived half smile.

“Just make sure you stay out of trouble, Nam Woohyun.” Sungjong said. Woohyun clicked his tongue.

“What do you mean? The troublemaker is this one over here.” Woohyun gestured toward Sungyeol in which the tall man slapped his hand away.

“What do you mean troublemaker you former inmate?” Sungyeol scrowl, but Woohyun only chuckled.

Sungjong scan around and noticed they were short one. “Where’s Ryosuke?” Sungjong asked, Woohyun and Sungyeol look to one another at the sudden realization.

“Oh, we haven’t seen him ever since you left.” Woohyun answered.

Silence made its entrance when the three begin looking around for any signs of Ryosuke. “Just where did that Japanese go?” Sungyeol asked under a troubled tone.


Ryosuke was sitting on the edge of the park’s water fountain, where he was quietly reminiscing three years ago.

“Liar! I’ve always watched you! You were always copying me, and following my every steps!” Hoya countered.

“That was because I thought if I was like you then Sungjong would pay more attention to me! But I was wrong to think that!”

“You don’t mean it….It wasn’t Sungjong but me who you like—”

“I told you it’s Sungjong. I have no interest in you, in fact I hated how Sungjong would only talk about you. It annoyed me.” Ryosuke said under a low growl. “Please leave my home this instant.”

Hoya took a step back and the inside of his mouth. “It doesn’t matter if you like Sungjong or not. I’ll definitely make you like me instead. You’ll have to return my love, Yamada Ryosuke.”

Ryosuke ignored his words and pointed toward the door, “Please leave.” Hoya wore an angry face before pulling his cap down, then headed out without a single word. Outside of Ryosuke’s window he thought he saw something or someone, but his mind was too boggled up for him to even think properly. And it wasn’t until the next morning where his manager had phoned him about the scandal of him being with another man. Ryosuke knew then he had missed his chance to catch the reporter before he turned in the reports. And it was all due to Hoya’s sudden confession and how Sungjong turned him down that night.

With a moment of silence Ryosuke felt the vibration of his phone. Upon pulling it out to see who it was, he noticed it was a call from an unknown number. Sweat formed on his temple and he was afraid to take the call. What if it was Hoya? What does Hoya have to say? Hoya must have already found out that he didn’t attend the concert, and so now he’s going to call Ryosuke about it. So instead of answering, he turned off his phone and tuck it inside his pocket.


Sungjong clicked his tongue as he removed the phone from his ear. “Why? Is he not picking up?” Sungyeol asked.

“Here, keep trying. I’m going to look for him.” Sungjong said, handing the phone to Sungyeol.

“But how would you know if I’m able to contact him? Your phone is dead.” Sungyeol said with large eyes.

“I’ll go with you,” Woohyun said directing it to Sungjong, “you can call me instead.” Woohyun said this time to Sungyeol. The taller nodded. In the dark and less busy streets, Sungjong and Woohyun were running around every corner. Meanwhile Sungyeol had tried to call the Japanese man but only to meet the message that his phone was off.

Until finally some time later, Woohyun came across the lonely Ryosuke sitting on the fountain. “Here you are Ryosuke.” The Japanese looked up to see Woohyun and only greeted him with a blank face.

“Oh, Woohyun?”

Woohyun jogged over until he was standing beside Ryosuke. “What are you doing out here alone? Sungjong already came back.”

“Really? How did it go?” The Japanese asked, his eyes keen on the handsome male.

“According to Sungjong, Myungsoo had agreed to let us stay. We’re good now with a place to stay.” Woohyun said with his signature smile. Ryosuke only hummed at the news he thought would make him happier. Sungjong did it. He met and spoke with Myungsoo and now he even got them a place to stay. Sungjong was as usual always braver than he was. Ryosuke thought. “You don’t seem too happy.” Woohyun pointed out the obvious, Ryosuke readjust himself in his seat and turned to face the empty background before them.

“It’s not that.”

“Then what is it?”

“It means now it’s my turn….”

Woohyun who was confused by the smaller man frowned, “What are you talking about?”

“In order to move on, I’ll have to resolve my own problems, now that Sungjong has already solved his.”

Woohyun cocked his head to the side, “I’m still not getting you. But anyway we have to go back, Sungjong and Sungyeol would be worried.”

Ryosuke forced a warm and gentle smile. “Right. Sorry, I didn’t mean to confuse you.”


In the alleyway where the four had met up again, Sungyeol’s jaw dropped the lowest. Meanwhile Sungjong frowned at Ryosuke before him. “What do you mean you’re not going to stay with us?” Sungjong’s question came out more as a demand for an answer rather than a curious one.

Ryosuke didn’t dare to look into any one of his friends’ eyes. “After three years again you’re able to face Kim Myungsoo, Sungjong. I want to be able to do the same. And I don’t want anybody’s help.”

“Can’t you do that without being separated from us?” Sungyeol in.

“No, I’m afraid I’ll come to you guys for comfort if I fail….Besides I’d just be getting in the way with whatever plans you yakuzas has….I don’t want to be a burden and have you all worried about me. I will take care of myself and when I’m done, I’ll come find you guys again.” Ryosuke said. When Sungjong didn’t react right away, Woohyun did.

“Aren’t you going to stop him, Lee Sungjong? I thought you had a lot of powers around here?” Woohyun asked under a remark. But Sungjong only stared down at Ryosuke.

“What’s the meaning of this? What is it that you have to do? Who must you meet?” Sungjong finally asked.

“I can’t tell you, Sungjong. Just please understand me.” Ryosuke said, this time gazing up to see Sungjong’s eyes.

“Why did you choose this moment out of every other?” Sungjong asked, this time biting down on his words. He wanted to pretend that he was deaf, that he had not heard Ryosuke’s words about leaving.

“Because this moment is the only moment I can feel it in me. The strength to defeat what I must.”

Sungjong looked away from Ryosuke’s normally large eyes. They were always pretty eyes that would go unnoticed. “Give me some time. Give me a couple of days first. I can’t let you wander just yet.”

“Sungjong, don’t try to stop me this. I’m going to do it. I promise I will be fine, I will contact you after I find a place to stay.” Ryosuke said.

“Ryosuke this isn’t just about you, it’s—” Sungjong tried to find an excuse to keep Ryosuke but was shut down.

“That’s why I’m going off on my own! I didn’t want this to be about me. You don’t need me in your plan against Yamaguchi. After all, I’m just heavy packages. Plus, it’s not like this is our last time meeting or seeing each other. I promise I will contact you.” Ryosuke said with pleading eyes. Meanwhile Sungjong’s were slightly more watery.

It was true that it wasn’t going to be their last time seeing each other. But Sungjong was more bothered by the fact that Ryosuke was keeping something from him. That perhaps it was due to Sungjong’s focused on Yamaguchi’s case that Ryosuke had decided to take things into his own hands. Facing Myungsoo was a challenge but he was only able to do it knowing that he had his whole crew behind him. But now he must face the future without his best friend. “Fine, beat it.” Sungjong began under a rough tone, “But if you ever need me. Just know, I’ll be here. And no matter what happens, I’ll come to your rescue.”

Ryosuke smiled. “Thank you, Jong.”


The night was cold but it became even colder when Ryosuke had decided to take off. Sungjong led Woohyun and Sungyeol toward Myungsoo’s home. As they stood outside and at the front door, Sungyeol was amazed by the scenery, meanwhile Woohyun was a little lost. “I thought you said we’re going to the studio?”

Sungjong rang the doorbell once and pocketed his hands as he stood before Woohyun and Sungyeol. “Kim Myungsoo and I actually agreed upon this place.”

“But, where is this place?” Woohyun asked under a whisper.

“His home.” Right when Sungjong answered, the front door flew wide open. There Myungsoo was alone to greet them. Myungsoo was shirtless with only an opened jacket on and black jeans.

“You came.” Myungsoo said. Sungyeol and Woohyun who were surprised to see the man widen their eyes almost in unison.

“Can’t you put on a shirt?” Was the first thing Sungjong asked, but Myungsoo only smiled at him before explaining.

“Sorry it’s a habit now with Suzy around.”

Sungjong broke their gaze and took the first step into the large home. It was clean and very tidy inside the home, something completely different from Myungsoo’s studio. Sungyeol was right behind Sungjong and at the same time was examining the area. He noticed they were standing in the hallway, so the bathroom was to their left and the living space with four white couches and a large TV was to their right. Thus before them is the kitchen and dining room, however halfway down the hall was a staircase that led to the second floor. The bedrooms floor.

Woohyun and Myungsoo was left alone to stare down one another. “So is this where you’re staying now? After staying in that old studio for so long?” Woohyun asked. Myungsoo heaved a sigh.

“Yeah.”

“Exactly what was the deal you made between you and Sungjong? This isn’t your studio.” Woohyun’s comment made Myungsoo stood up straight and folded his arms across his chest.

“The deal was simple. If you guys wanted the studio then Sungjong was required to become my model. But since he refused, I thought it’d be more fun if you all moved in with us, Suzy and I.”

Woohyun smirked. “Is that so? Well at least Lee Sungjong put down your model idea. I would have done the same thing.” Woohyun pressed a hand against Myungsoo’s chest and pushed him aside. The photographer breathed an amused scoff. It was going to be harder than he thought. To get closer to Sungjong. And to learn the truth between Suzy and Woohyun.