|||

Acting As His Shadow

Myungsoo just knew he would see Sungjong’s face first thing in the morning, when a restless bang came to his door. When Myungsoo opened the door with one hand wrapped around the three sides of the wood, he was hoping Sungjong wouldn’t be dressed like a woman. But when he saw the lad, he was very disappointed. Though Sungjong’s hair was shorter this time, he wore a white beanie and netted blouse. His black eyeliner made his pretty eyes more noticeable and the color of his skin brighter. Sungjong held up a peace sign with his slim fingers and wore a soft plastered smile.

Myungsoo was annoyed that the first words he was going to start the day with began with a sharp sigh. “Didn’t I say not to come by?”

Sungjong’s smile faded and he lowered his hand, “What can I do? I couldn’t sleep thinking that you’ll be alone and cleaning up this place just because of me. So I came down to help you, so the least you can do is be grateful.”

Myungsoo dug the door with his fingertips, “Forget it. I don’t need your help and didn’t ask for it. So should you be here demanding I be grateful for your minor invasion?”

“Invasion?” Sungjong gasp gently, “Offering to help is an act of invading?” This time the smile in Sungjong’s face has completely vanished and replaced by a number of disbelief sighs here and there. “Besides, wouldn’t having more than one person get things done quicker? The faster you get to take my photos, the faster I can finally get out of your hair.”

Myungsoo kept silent for a moment to watch Sungjong’s next move, but the pretty man stood his ground and only stared at Myungsoo. “No thanks. Please go back and quit bothering me, that way I can get things done in time.” Myungsoo was about to slam the door in Sungjong’s face but the male predicted Myungsoo’s move and quickly grabbed a hold of the door, covering the latch of the door with his palm. Myungsoo eyed the man’s hand with his widened eye before Sungjong peeked through the door’s crack.

“You’ll regret not letting me in quietly.”

With a defeated sigh Myungsoo released his hold of the door and turned before walking away. “Lock the door then.” With those words a smile was drawn against Sungjong’s face as he opened the door enough for him to walk through. After locking the door, he entered the room to find that Myungsoo was standing by his desk. “You can start by stacking those boxes and furniture we may not need in the photos.”

Sungjong scanned the room before broadening his eyes, “You want me to do it alone?”

“You wanted to help, right? Well moving those would be helpful.” Myungsoo said before sliding his hands into his pockets. Sungjong cocked his head to the side for a moment and wondered if he has created a mess for himself.


While working in the windowless studio of Myungsoo’s, Sungjong has lost track of time and only continued to work. When dinnertime was approaching Sungjong found himself exhausted and soaked in his own sweat as he pushed and carried the large boxes onto the top of another. Other than the sound of cardboard being dragged across the grey cement floor of Myungsoo’s studio, Sungjong’s countless pants overtook any sound that could have happened in the room. And in order to keep himself cool, Sungjong got rid of his pretty beanie and netted blouse, and exposing only his white tank top.

In the meantime while Myungsoo observe the lad from behind his desk, he was beginning to think that the pretty man has no limits to his strength despite the condition of his scrawny body. Until finally Sungjong failed to stack a box upon another and allowed it to fall against the ground with a thump, and forcing the contents inside of the box to jump out. Myungsoo then noticed Sungjong getting onto his knees to pick up the items.

“Let’s not break things that aren’t ours.” Myungsoo said. Sungjong peeked over to see that Myungsoo had his nose in a book. A wave of anger rushed through the pretty man as he pushed his hair drenched in sweat back then respond to the sitter.

“Are you serious? I said I will help you, not do your work for you! I’ve been working what seems to be forever without a drink of water or a bite to eat, but here you are scolding me? Can’t you see I haven’t even took a break from moving your junk here and there? Do you think these sweat are fake? Do you think my effort is a child’s play? I’m working so hard here to help, no, do your prep for you and you won’t even move away from your desk to help? How can you—”

“This is why I don’t ask or need others help.” Myungsoo said cutting the latter off.

“What?”

“People like you pretend to be kind, caring, and only wanting to help. But in secret once they lend their help, they expect something in return. Since all you’ve been doing was help, now you want me to treat you out. You want my thanks and probably my offer to help you next time. Isn’t that it?”

Sungjong shot up from his kneeling position. “You jerk.” He cursed the man under a mumble. “Those are common things to do when you receive help anyways! So as a human being why can’t you at least offer to buy me something to eat or drink while I work? You basically used me and took my help for granted by throwing all the work on me!” Sungjong yelled before stomping over to grab his beanie and shirt from Myungsoo’s couch. “You’re a terrible person. Have fun cleaning alone then.” With that Sungjong hurried out of Myungsoo’s sight and headed outside.

Myungsoo who remained seated sigh and threw his head back against his seat. “Damn it. This kid really knows how to make someone feel bad.” With that Myungsoo got up from his chair and grabbed a hold of his jacket wrapped around his chair, then took off after Sungjong.

Sungjong was walking down the road with his blouse and beanie clutched in his fist. “Ugh he makes me so angry! How can someone like him exist? I mean, how can I meet such a person that exists? Ah, so mad!” Sungjong stomped the ground during his steps before feeling the hand of another wrapped around his bare forearm. With a quick turn of his head, he found himself face to face with Myungsoo.

“Didn’t you hear me call you?” Myungsoo asked through broken pants. Sungjong could only blink in the moment before Myungsoo dragged him along. “I’ll treat you, come.”


Myungsoo took a seat farther from the door as Sungjong sat to the chair closer to it. Before they could speak and sat face to face, a waitress came over to take their order. “Give us ramen.” Myungsoo placed the order and allowed the lass to be on her way. Then he wiped his head towards Sungjong’s direction and saw that the pretty boy had on a rough expression. “Why are you...staring at me like that?”

“Why did you bring me here?”

“Didn’t you want me to treat you out?”

“I wanted you to treat me out but I didn’t want you to treat me here.” Sungjong said in a sassy tone. Myungsoo scoffed a smirk at Sungjong’s comment.

“Kid, listen carefully to what I’m going to say. We agreed that I will be taking your photos for free, so there’s already no income for me from you. Consider yourself lucky as I’m treating you with no charges as well.” Myungsoo said.

Sungjong folded his arms across his chest and breathed a smug, “Then don’t treat me. Just continue to be the jerk you are and not treat me!” Myungsoo couldn’t find the courage to argue with the boy so he kept silent, while Sungjong shifted his attention toward the world on the other side of the glass window.

“Here’s your ramen, customer.” The waitress said as she laid the food out before them. Myungsoo set up their meals after the waitress took her leave. In their bowls Myungsoo slip a pair of chopstick into each and began to stir his with his utensils.

“Eat. You’re probably cranky because you’re hungry. Eat first then I’ll take you home.” Myungsoo said. Though Sungjong didn’t move immediately after the man’s words, he was tracing the bowl of noodles with his pupils and swallowing his saliva.

Sungjong was planning to hold in and starve himself to show Myungsoo how much of a jerk he was. But after hearing and seeing how even Myungsoo enjoyed the simple dish, Sungjong soon found himself eating the warm food. And with time Myungsoo would throw in short questions to get Sungjong to loosen up.

“Earlier you asked why didn’t I hear you call me. Did you really call me? I didn’t hear anyone call my name.” Sungjong said with curious eyes. Myungsoo cracked a smile and played with the chopsticks in his hand by tapping it against the empty bowl.

“I called you ‘hey’.”

Sungjong flattened his eyes, “Seriously?”

“Yeah.” Myungsoo breathed with a soft chuckle.

“Ah what the….” Sungjong said throwing himself back against his chair.

“Anyway it’s getting dark so let’s go.” Myungsoo said but Sungjong only pouted. “Why? Are you not done?”

“I am but how can you not call me by my name? What is ‘hey’? My parents named me for a reason, didn’t you know?”

Myungsoo sighed at Sungjong’s snappy attitude. “Then, I’m going first.”

Sungjong’s jaw dropped open and he thrown himself forward when Myungsoo got up from his seat. “Wait I—”

“You what?” Myungsoo asked while standing.

“I….Actually I was wondering if I can come by again tomorrow….I know I threw a fit but….”

“Don’t come.” Myungsoo answered, “I won’t be in tomorrow.”

“Why not?” Sungjong looked up to lock his gaze with Myungsoo.

“I have to be somewhere tomorrow.”

“So, you won’t be in Seoul?”

Myungsoo wore a tiny grin, “I’ll be in Seoul, just somewhere else in Seoul.”

“Oh….” With a sense of awkward, the two let a moment of silent enter before Sungjong started again. “Then can’t I come with you tomorrow? If it’s just in Seoul then I want to—”

“No. It’s somewhere you can’t be at.”

“Why not? Don’t you remember? I told you I’ve been everywhere in Seoul so where is this place I can’t be?”

Myungsoo ruffled his own hair when talking to Sungjong seems to be going nowhere. “You just can’t come, alright? And don’t even get up early and stand outside my place. I’m won’t be going straight to the studio anyway.”

“Then where are you going?” Sungjong asked, hoping Myungsoo would be fall for the bait.

“I’m going to—” Myungsoo paused, “it’s none of your business.”

Sungjong then shrug and falls back into his chair. “Fine. Do as you please. I have connection everywhere, so I’ll be able to find you in no time. Look, I’ll show you.” Sungjong pulled out his phone and opened up his messages, then he held it phone screen towards Myungsoo. “See? I have a group chat with 50+ of my friends. They all work at different places so you better be careful and not get caught.” Myungsoo scoffed then snatched the phone from Sungjong’s hand, making the man frowned and stood from his seat. “Hey! What are you doing? Give me back my phone—” Sungjong reached for the electronic but Myungsoo dodged his grab.

“I’ll be taking it so you won’t be able to contact your 50+ friends.” Myungsoo said as he slip the device into his pocket that was facing away from Sungjong.

“Hey! That’s not cool! It’s my phone so give it back—” Sungjong said and stood up instantly with force that pushed the chair out.

Myungsoo took a step closer to the unbalanced Sungjong to suffocate the space between them. Sungjong who was staring into Myungsoo’s eyes became frozen and quiet. “Come back for it in two days, Lee Sungjong.” With that Myungsoo departed first and left Sungjong longing for his phone that was taken from him.