||||||||||||||

Acting As His Shadow

Three years later.

Like Seoul, Tokyo was a city that never sleeps. Each road, corner, and building were always active and busy. The heads of people out on the road can easily be mistaken as the floor with a bird-eyes-view from above, because the population of Tokyo was that serious. However, no matter how loud or chaotic it sounded on the streets; where cars race by, the clicking of people’s heels, and the sound of honks and music being played by large screens on buildings. Sungjong had found a very quiet and somewhat peaceful place for himself.

Inside of a bread shop, he was quietly enjoying his cup of black tea as he looked out the window. His hair has been dyed back into a darker and manlier color, the color of chocolate, the color of the Earth’s dirt. As he came to finish his last drop of tea, he heard the ringing of the bell that hung on the door ring. As he turned around to see who the newcomer was, he wasn’t surprised to see who it was.

A man who he was familiar with approached him. A man who’s known for his incredible trickery skills. A Korean-Japanese by the name of Lee Sungyeol. Though born in Japan, the male however wished to be known by his Korean origins, his mother’s maiden surname. “I’ve brought them.”

Sungjong and the man didn’t wait for the taller man to sit before he placed a folder with documents in Sungjong’s hand. Then as the man took his seat, Sungjong moved on to revealing the context. As he used one hand to flip through the file, he was also resting the side of his head onto his other hand while his elbow stabbed the table’s surface. “This time you’re sure you’ve got the correct guy?”

“Yes, I’m very positive.” Sungyeol said, his eyes keenly on the higher rank man before him.

“Good, because if you were to make another mistake, I’m sure you’ll know what boss will do to you.”

“I completely understand.” The male said with a heavy heart. Sungjong hummed a little before continuing to shift through the papers. Sungjong showed very little enthusiasm about what he was seeing in the folder. “But Sungjong,” the taller man began, “you don’t seem all that excited to have the files on him.”

Sungjong heaved a sigh. “That’s because even without this, I’ve already met the guy before.”

Sungyeol’s eyebrows were pushed upward at the sound of Sungjong’s words. “What? Then, why did you want me to gather information on…?” He trailed off to allow Sungong to answer. The prettier lad continued to flip the pages as he intended to answer.

“Because you’re the one who doesn’t know him. If you’ve gathered the information yourself then you would remember the details of what you’ve learned. That’s why, instead of filling you in, I had you go out and do the gathering.” Sungjong’s statements left Sungyeol impressed.

“I guess this is why you’re boss’s favorite huh?” Sungyeol asked with a gummy smile.

Sungjong pulled himself backward and closed the file. “Should we go then?”

“Yeah.” Sungyeol said before taking the files Sungjong had left in the middle of the table. As he   ;grabbed the file, Sungjong had already made his way toward the door. With Sungjong’s hands pocketed in his white pants and his black long sleeved shirt tight against his body, his image appeared even taller thanks to his leaning body. “Wait for me Sungjong!” Sungyeol cried.


Off to the side of the road, Sungyeol was standing just outside the driver’s seat to the 2013 grey Subaru. Meanwhile, Sungjong, who was on the other side of the vehicle, was leaning against the door to the back seat with his arms folded across his chest. Beside them were walls that stood twenty feet off the ground. After waiting for some time, they heard the front gate to the area open.

“You’re free to go now.” A voice said. With that an officer pushed the back of a former inmate after removing his handcuffs. The man took a few steps closer to the road before turning back just to see the same officer leave him. Slowly but surely the lad looked over to Sungjong and Sungyeol’s direction, Sungyeol who was the first to make eye contact with the male quickly stiffen. Finally a smile grew on the inmate’s face as he walked closer to them.

“Well, isn’t it Lee Sungjong?” The man said. For the man his hair was long and messy, he could easily make a mohawk with it. His face was sharp and slim and his best feature would be his famous flawless nose. When the lad grew closer to Sungjong and Sungyeol, the tallest man quickly ran around the front of the car to stand in their way.

“Stop right there! Don’t come any closer until I have checked you for weapons!” Sungyeol warned, causing the newcomer to scoffed.

“Are you some kind of police officer now Sungjong? What is with your partner?”

Sungjong who has been keeping quiet detached himself from the car. “Sungyeol.”

Sungyeol spun his head around, “Yes?”

“Move.” Sungjong said. Sungyeol was about to refuse but never got around to it when Sungjong had already made his move over to Sungyeol. Meanwhile Sungjong took over Sungyeol’s place, Sungyeol was forced to move off to the side. “Don’t get in our way.” Sungjong said, directing the order to the tallest man.

“Y-yes. I’m s-sorry.” Sungyeol said under a low voice. Though the man was big in size, anyone could tell he lack braveness and courage. Maybe it was because Lee Sungyeol is only twenty.

“Wow, now that I look at it you seem like a completely different guy.” The former inmate began, “It’s interesting. I used to think you were just a homo with no backbone.”

Sungjong sneered at the man’s comment. “Well aren’t you still rude, Nam Woohyun?” The lad flashed Sungjong his famous half smile that could easily be mistaken as a smirk.

“Not everyone’s going to change like you.”

Sungjong could only keep his face, the face that showed no fear, no backing down, basically his stubborn face. “Get in the car, we’ll talk some more.”

“Where are we going?” Woohyun asked.

Sungjong shrugged, “With a car and money, we can go anywhere and do anything.” With that being said Sungjong look over to Sungyeol who understood immediately. Sungyeol ran behind Sungjong and head over to open the door to the back seat. “So come.” With that Sungjong walked over and got into the car where Sungyeol ended up closing it for him. Then quickly Sungyeol walk over to the other side of the car and open the back door for Woohyun.

“What are you doing? Sungjong said get in.” Sungyeol said. Without any objection Woohyun began walking over and got into the car as well. While seated, Woohyun look over to Sungjong who was staring right at him. Lastly as they waited for Sungyeol to get in the car, Woohyun cracked a smile first.

“Just what do you do for a living now? Seems like you got yourself a driver too.”

Instead of answering, Sungjong added fuel to Woohyun’s curiosity of fire. “You’ll find out if you spend some time with me.”


Ryosuke was sitting on the ground in a crowded space. His back was to his couch and his knees to the coffee table before him. Then farther ahead of him was a small television flashing in all sorts of colors to entertain the Japanese man. The lad laughed out loud as he stuffed himself with popcorn and his eyes never leaving the screen. Until finally something broke his gaze from the screen and that was the ringing of his doorbell.

Ryosuke groaned before standing up and heading over to answer the door. But before doing so, he grabbed one of his thin jacket that was hanging on the hanger in the tiny closet beside his doorstep, and put it on over his pajamas. Ryosuke opened the door, “It’s about time you guys delivered my fried chick—” Ryosuke came to an immediate pause when he noticed who it was, standing in front of him while holding onto three boxes of ordered fried chicken.

“So this is where you’re hiding now?” Hoya asked. The man as usual had on a hoodie, cap, and sunglasses to conceal his identity, but little did he knew, it was outdated.

Ryosuke heaved a disbelief sigh. “What do you want this time? Didn’t I tell you to stop appearing in front of me?”

Hoya ignored his questions aimed for the heart. “Why? Are you still holding a grudge for losing your job because of me?”

Ryosuke put on a rough expression. “Just give me my food and get the hell out of here. Who knows? If reporters catches you around here, you might just lose your job.”

“Wouldn’t it make you happy then? Because then, at least we’ll be even.” Hoya said with a gentle tone, compare to Ryosuke’s loathing one.

“That won’t even make me happy. You’ll probably need to be dead for me to be happy. So get lost already and don’t ever come around again to touch my food.” Ryosuke said as he tried to take the boxes from Hoya. But Hoya’s grip on the cardboards were strong, thus Ryosuke moved closer by the second trying to wrap his arms around them. In the end Ryosuke could feel Hoya’s breath against his cheek.

“Would you really be happy if I die?” Ryosuke ignored the man’s question and focused all of his power on getting his food back. Until finally Hoya decided to let go causing a rip in one of the boxes and Ryosuke to stumbled to the side. “Even if it has to be my death that makes you happy, I won’t die. Because if I die, then I won’t be able to see you again.”

Hoya’s words sent shivers through Ryosuke’s body. Quickly the unwanted guest scan their surrounding before heading toward the direction with less people. Ryosuke watched as the man disappeared around the corner before looking down at his food. “Darn it. Bastard.”

As Ryosuke set his food on the table before him, he look up at the screen to see that it was playing the ending credits to the show he was watching. “Great, I’ll never know the ending of this story unless I rent the disc now.” Ryosuke reached for his remote controller set just to the corner of his table, meanwhile another hand proceed to open the box and retrieve his chicken drumsticks. While turning the channel and keeping his eyes mainly on the television, once he came to open the box, he thought he saw a glimpse of a piece of paper in the center of the box. He wasn’t wrong when he look down.

He picked up the paper and noticed it was a short note.

Yamada Ryosuke

My time in Tokyo is limited since I’m only doing a Japan tour as of now. However I wish you would come to my next concert and see me perform in Osaka in three days. I bought you all the tickets you may need, so please come.

  • Lee Hoya

Ryosuke consciously searched for the tickets and saw that they were sitting on top of the chicken. There were three, one for the concert and two for two ways of transportation, by train or bus. “Why is he wasting his time on me…? Seriously….”


Woohyun stood to the side and watched as Sungjong connected his bony fist to the face of a drunk man. Then Sungjong lean over to pick up the man by his shirt collar. “Tell me, where’s Yamaguchi?”

“I-I don’t know.” The drunk said. With his reeking breath Sungjong released the man almost immediately, dropping him dead silent against the ground.

“Pathetic. Let’s go.” Sungjong said to Woohyun who was still amazed by the prettier man’s moves. As they leave the alleyway, they met Sungyeol at the entrance.

“How did it go Sungjong?” Sungyeol asked, glancing back once in awhile to see if anyone else would be walking after them.

“We’ll have to look for him again, someplace else.” Sungjong said, making Sungyeol cringed with disappointment.