Who's There?

The IT Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After I arrived home from school, the first thing I did was finish my homework. Then I proceeded to make myself a bowl of delicious instant noodle and gulped down everything. With a full belly, I prepared my weapons and polished my knives before neatly packing everything up. When I was ready, I headed out. It was almost 11:30, I took out my phone and looked at the flashing screen. I read over the address Dee sent me before breaking into a sprint down the road.

I dashed down the street, perfectly concealed under the cover of the shadows and darkness. Since it was almost midnight, there weren't any people on the empty road. The cold December wind pierced at my face like razors. I didn't squint and kept up my pace, but eventually slowing down when I felt myself begin to tire. I probably covered 30 km after around half an hour of full out sprinting.

Walking alone on the dark empty street, I looked around at the sketchy buildings and cracked pavement. There were no signs of any human life around me. Light flurry of snowflakes once again began to fall from the pitch black sky. Suddenly, I found my surroundings to be a little unfamiliar. I looked at the address given on the phone and back up at the buildings. The bar was supposed to be around here somewhere, but there was no light source in sight other than the flickering streetlight buzzing up ahead.

I came to a stop and closely examined my location. I let out a sigh when I confirmed that I was lost. There were only two possibilities: one, Dee sent the wrong coordinates, or two, I turned at a wrong corner. With no other choices, I decided to use my hunter power to help me locate. Once I felt the power flowing around in my veins, a virtual map slowly formed in front of my eyes. Looking at the directions, I began to walk.

Soon, I realized something strange using the map. Although Dee clearly told me that there was a bar around here, my map showed no sign of any sort of business, no bars, no nothing. Something felt terribly wrong, suddenly, I sensed someone's presence. I scanned my surroundings but found no one. Immediately, I regret activating my Hunter powers.

Here is one thing about my powers. When a Hunter uses it, other hunters can sense it, as well as inhuman creatures. So basically, using my powers alone on a dark street at night was like saying 'Come and eat me, paranormal creatures.'

This mission was taking a lot longer than I thought. I cautiously took out my dagger and listened carefully for any sounds around me, ready for anything that might launch at me any second. After a moment of complete silence, there was nothing... I waited longer... There was still nothing. As if my opponent has tried to hide, the presence slowly grew faint, but I could still sense it. There was a danger radiating from that presence, I inhaled a deep breath and decided to head on.

I crossed the road quietly, keeping an eye open for any movement or sound. On the other side of the street stood an abandoned building. In front of the building was an old telephone booth. It looked pretty damaged, the wires tangled up, and electrical cords spilled around everywhere, there were smashed beer bottles around the booth.

I didn't have a creative mind, but this split second, my brain went wild. Maybe it was because the chaotic day at school, or just this odd street, but thoughts and uncertainty filled my head. Imagine if the old telephone just started ringing right now... No, that was not possible, because I could clearly see that it was broken. Shaking my head at my creepy thought, I walked right past the telephone booth, trying to figure out which direction I should move to.

Suddenly, a loud ear splitting noise disturbed the quietness in the dark. I jumped on the spot and slowly look at the source of the sound. It was the old phone booth, the phone rang. I looked around and felt my heart pounding against my chest, hoping to find someone picking up the phone. There was nobody there. I had no idea what had gotten in to myself, but as if the phone booth was bewitched, it compelled me to pick up the device. I walked back toward to booth and stepped inside. My hands shook as I picked the phone up.

"Ssss-sss, K-k-k-k, sss"

No one spoke, there were only static noises.

"Hello?" I said weakly.

"Sss- I- I'm.... C-c-coming... Ss-sss... For... Y-you.... K-k-k..." There came a whisper along with all the noises. I shivered at I made out the broken words, I'm coming for you?

"Who are you?" I demanded, also seriously feeling creeped out.

"Ssss... K-k-k... Beep, beep, beep... Your call has ended..." The line was hung up.

What was that? Who just called me? The first thought that came into my mind was that it was a prank call from Dee. But I shook off the possibility of the caller being my friend since Dee is always a busy person who always had jobs on hand. Plus, he is at the bar with an investigation right now, it couldn't have been him. Looking down at my watch, I realized that I was already ten minutes late and I was still nowhere close to my destination. I decided that I should call Dee to tell him I'll be late.

I dialed his number and waited, soon, Dee picked it up.

"Hello, Dee?" I said.

"Yeah, 14?" He replied.

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm going to be late at the bar, I'm a little lost right now," I quickly said.

There

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter