Indifference was key

For the Love of MinSul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Indifference was key

 

- - - -

 

"Let's break up. I'm tired of doing this." Said Sulli to Minho and she meant it.

It's been almost eight months since they both started going out. And Sulli would say it like that because no one had known that they had been dating, except for her best friend. The same best friend who finally knocked some sense into her head.

"What are you talking about?" Asked Minho, his eyes narrowing slightly. They were at school and this was a place so called a no-contact zone. No talking, no staring, no smiling, no nothing at each other except for the slightest of glances.

"You want the answer? Fine!!" Said Sulli sneeringly. "I'm so tired of you being ashamed of me, of us not going public because you're afraid of what your so-called friends might think. And I'm so sick of that you're a totally different, caring person but only when we are alone together." Sulli gritted her teeth when Minho cast a sideways glance to make sure no one was listening in on their conversation. They were right by the cafeteria as Sulli had managed to find Minho before lunch started.

Minho lowered his voice and Sulli felt a sudden tightening of , "Can't we talk about this later?" Minho was practically whispering, trying not to move his mouth as he said the words.

The inside of Sulli's mouth turned to dust as she stared at him. Minho's dark, fluffy hair tickled his long eyelashes, the same ones that framed the most beautiful hazel eyes Sulli had ever seen. Her eyes traced the straight nose that led to his full, pink lips. The same ones that she had just kissed the night before. His good looks and athletic abilities made him one of the more 'popular' people in the campus.

And that's what Minho was ashamed about. That he was very popular and Sulli just wasn't.

She was innocent but not smart enough. She was pretty, but not gorgeous. She was curvy with an hourglass figure, but not exactly the ideal size. And as when Sulli thought of Im Yoona, every girl's dream guy in the campus, she realized just how much their relationship could never work.

Minho was somebody and Sulli was nobody. He obviously didn't want their relationship to be known that he had been with her for the past eight months, probably because it would embarrass him. And Sulli would never want to humiliate Minho in front of people whose opinions obviously mattered to him.

Sulli felt tears sting her eyes as she thought back to the question Minho asked her earlier, the same question Sulli hadn't yet responded to Minho.

"Can't we talk about this later?"

Sulli finally found her voice and straightened. "No. Because there is no later anymore. We are finished Minho." Sulli looked into Minho's round eyes eyes and saw them harden with some emotion before she turned around as tears already starting to leak out.

"Sorry if I embarrassed you." With that Sulli started to walk away.

"Sulli..…"

Sulli heard him call, his voice tight. She felt a flutter of hope in her chest but it was crushed the moment she heard another girl's voice.

"Minho! I've been looking for you." Paused the girl. "Who were you talking to?" Her voice sounded nonchalant but Sulli could feel the underlying threat in her tone.

Sulli slowed her steps a little just wanting to hear Minho's response. She hoped that maybe Minho would confess everything to whoever the girl was by saying something like. "Her name's Sulli and she's my girlfriend."

But to her dismay, she only heard him sigh instead and then mumbled, "Nobody."

Sulli's heart totally shattered.

 

- - - -

 

"I don't need him. I don't need a guy. He's a total jerk and I so was not in love with him."

Sulli had been repeating this mantra in her head for over an hour in an attempt not to cry. She glanced to the small pieces of a picture lie before her. The picture of them which was taken at Minho's house. That day, he had been trying to teach her how to play his favorite video game but Sulli had kept dying. She held her gaze on the picture, Minho looked so beautiful in it, while she was simply just not beautiful in it.

Sulli had been trying so many ways to forget Minho and move on but the logic behind all what she was trying to do just only made her realize how wrong they were for her. They obviously didn't work for her.

In the end, she only managed to think of the most painful word. "He's a . He didn't appreciate me. I hate him. No really, I do!"

Sulli heard a sigh from her doorway.

"What are you doing, Sulli?"

Sulli sniffed as she turned to see her best friend, Amber, came to kneel next to her on the floor of her bedroom. Sulli thought that she must have been a pretty pathetic sight. She was surrounded by tissues and a few of romance novels, a piece of the photograph of her with Minho, and a vanilla dough ice cream.

"Don't cry! You did the right thing, sweetie." Said Amber, soothing. "He was an and you didn't need him."

It didn't really make Sulli feel any better.

"I don't want to go to the campus tomorrow." Mumbled Sulli, leaning back against her bed. She tugged nervously at the fibers of her carpet. "I mean, he said....I was a nobody. How am I supposed to face him after that, Amber?" Sulli's chest constricted and she gasped as more tears started to pour out continuously.

Sighed Amber as she said, "If you don't go, your absence will only have him be more even arrogant. He will absolutely think you were affected by it."

Sulli looked at her friend and sniffed some more. "But I am affected by it. And I really don't know how to cop up Amber. It hurts."

Amber glanced down briefly at the mess around her friend and Sulli flushed with embarrassment. Amber moved to sit on the bed and then pulled Sulli for a comforting hug. "I know you can do it Sulli. And the key, is to act as indifferent to him as possible. Make him feel like he meant nothing to you. Hurt his ego a little."

"Is it even possible? I really love him, Amber." Wailed Sulli as she grabbed on Amber, returning the tight hug as she was seeking for comforting. But something hit her as she remembered that Minho never said he loved her even once. Sulli's chest constricted again when she remembered telling him after a particularly heavy round of making out and Minho hadn't said anything back.

"I know, sweetheart, I know." Said Amber, sighing deeply. "But you have to move on. And first step, let's just try to not think about him."

Sulli didn't respond. If only she could do that easily as told, she sure wouldn't be so this pathetic. And contrastingly, that just only prompted more tears from her.

 

- - - -

 

Minho looked like a mess the next day. His jeans were wrinkled, his hair stuck up all over and his eyes were bloodshot and puffy.

Sulli, on the other hand, had woken up a half an hour early to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter