Chapter 4

Until You Stop Breathing

Chapter 4

                My second year at ______ and summer is over and I could not be any happier to start my new life. Diego between finals week and now has been the same, sticking to me every chance that he can get. He came over to my house every single day of the week. When we went out he always had his arm around me or kissed me in front of other guys as a warning for them to back off. If you think that’s bad, he even got the same job as me working at a Latin bakery.  That really because I loved my job. Baking and greeting customers was always enjoyable. Unfortunately, everything was becoming so unbearable that I’m so happy to be going away.

                My family wasn’t exactly thrilled when I told them that I was studying in Korea for a whole school year, but they came to accept it when I told them it was a done deal and I wasn’t changing my mind for anything. It also kinda helped that my expenses would be paid for and that my friend Minah would be coming with me.

                Before leaving I told my family that I broke up with Diego and that if he asks for me to not tell him where I was really going because I don’t want to see him. In reality, I actually didn’t tell him I was leaving, surprise Diego!! Of course my whole family was confused as to why I broke up with him out of the blue. Diego had my whole family wrapped around his finger. He always bought them gifts, helped around the house with chores, and even sent them on vacations. So, it wasn’t a surprise that they were disappointed in me- they knew nothing of the real Diego, only the mask he put on.

                Saying goodbye to my family is definitely something that really upsets me. You’d think that I would be used to it since I’ve been away from college before. But the thing is that I really love my family, we’re practically attached to the hip!  It’s going to be really hard being away from them for such a long time and going to a country that I’ve never been to before and not knowing a single person there. Except Infinite, but I guess they really don’t count, do they?

“Remember that I can’t always call you because it’s expensive ok, but I’ll call every once in a while” I reminded my family once again. Before coming to the airport I made sure to delete all of my email accounts, deactivated my credit card and Facebook, and changed my cellphone number. I didn’t want to take any chances of Diego finding me. Diego is a lot scarier than you can imagine. He has all of the connections possible to find me.

“Yes, I understand. But call when you get the chance, ok” my mom told me while trying to hold her tears back.

“I’ll try. I promise” I choke out while crying and hugging her.

                 This is it. I said my final goodbyes to my mom, dad, older sister, and younger brother and walked over to where Minah was waiting for me at the boarding gate. My life is about to change as soon as I step foot in that plane. No longer will I have to deal with a boyfriend who abuses me every chance he gets. No more boyfriend following me every step or breath that I take. No more boyfriend who controls who I can and can’t see and what I wear. No more being scared of life. I’m finally free of him and can do what I want when I want. I’m going to live the way I want and no one will stop me! South Korea here I come!