Chapter 30

Until You Stop Breathing

Chapter 30

            It’s been about two weeks and competition day against Black List is finally here. These last two weeks have been the longest and most tiring days I’ve experienced being here in Korea. We practiced until midnight on most days, including school nights.

“Listen up everyone”, JB says clapping his hands together to get everyone’s attention. “So, before we go out and perform, I think it’s time to announce who the new co-captain of this team is.”

Silence

“The new co-captain of Fighting Dragons is… ________ssi!”

            Ehh?? Me?

“Let’s give her a round of applause!” Youngtae says starting the applause.

            I slowly get up, bow, and say my thanks.

“Before we get on the stage, I want to hand out our team jackets to our newest members. So, if you can get up and get them that’d be great,” JB says.

“Here you go captain,” Jiseok says handing me my jacket.

            Whoa it’s so pretty, I think admiring it. It’s a black and white letterman jacket with red Korean lettering that says Fighting Dragons on the front and a red dragon on the back with Satang (candy) lettering above it. Satang?? I question. That’s not my name.

“What’s wrong? Don’t like it?” Jiseok asks.

“Anni, I like it but why does it say Satang and not my name?”

“Because you’re sweet just like candy,” Jiseok says pinching my cheek.

“Ooooppa!” I whine.

“Come on. It’s time to get on stage,” he laughs putting his arm around my shoulders and walks us towards the stage.

“Alright, everyone! Did you enjoy Black List’s performance?” the MC asked.

Cheers

“Settle down. Settle down. Well, we have another fantastic performance in store for you tonight. So, please give a huge round of applause to the Fighting Dragons!”

This is it, I think to myself. Relax and breathe. Everything will be okay.

Dance Videos (play in order): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-eRQtceWfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvU7T8YJfDk (until 1:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TygOn_39hcE (up to 1:50)

(You are more than welcome to watch the videos all the way through. However, the parts that are relevant to the story are only up to the times stated above. Thank you and enjoy!)

            My body is on fire as adrenaline is still running through every pore and vein in my body. Sweat, evidence of the body hard at work is trickling down my neck. Feeling absolute euphoria, I jump up and down with the rest of my team members and wave to the crowd. This feeling is one I truly missed.

“Wow! That was an amazing performance. I feel the judges will have a very hard time deciding who will move on to Regionals to represent our university.”

            After 30 minutes, we find ourselves standing on the stage again. However, this time we’re holding each other’s hands waiting to see which team will win.

“After a long deliberation the judges have made a decision. The winner of tonight’s performance is,” he says taking out the card from the envelope, “Fighting Dragons! Congratulations!”

Cheers and applause erupt throughout the entire auditorium.

“We won!” Jiseok shouts picking me up and twirling me around.

“I can’t believe it! I’m so shocked!” I say as he sets me back down.

            As I hug some of my team members, I notice JB approaching me.

“Great job _______”, JB says shyly.

“Thanks, you too”

“Come on you two,” Jiseok comments dragging JB and I backstage.

“I just want to say congratulations and I’m so proud of all of you. Each and every one of you has worked so hard and are so deserving of this triumph. So, with that being said let’s go kill it at Regionals!” JB finishes his leader speech.

“Yes!”

“Woohoo!”

Claps!

“Hey, everyone,” Jiseok starts, “to celebrate our win, party at JB’s!”

            JB looks over at Jiseok and gives him his famous glare, clearly unhappy with the situation.

“_______, someone is looking for you outside,” Yiseul, a fellow team member says.

“Me?”

“Yup.”

            Who could be looking for me? I think.

            I step outside of the waiting room and look around.

“________!” a voice calls out.

            I look over and see a tall guy in jeans, a grey v-neck, brown leather jacket, and a black face mask.

“Yes?”

“Ehhh, you don’t recognize me?”

            I step closer and take a better look.

“Sungyeol?!?”

“Of course it’s me! Who else?”

“Ommo! I’m sorry but I wasn’t expecting you to be here.”

“I wanted to surprise you. You and your group did a great job!”

“Aw, thank you,” I say smiling touched by his words.

“Did you enjoy the show?”

“I did! I especially loved the last part of the dance. What’s that style of dance called again?”

“Reggaeton.”

“Rlr reggaeton?”

            I giggle at his cute pronunciation.

“Hey, don’t laugh. It’s not my fault that I can’t roll my r’s,” he pouts.

“I’m not laughing at you. I think it’s cute.”

“You think I’m cute?”

            My body just froze and then my cheeks decided to betray me by turning red.

 “Hey, it’s not something to be embarrassed about. I’m truly flattered,” he says putting his hand over his heart.

            I really want to kill him right now. So, embarrassing…

“Jajang!” Sungyeol says pulling something out of his bag. “For you.”

“For me? Aw, it’ so adorable! I’ve always wanted one of these! Thank you!”

->the Japanese Rilakkuma phenomenon

“Your welcome! I’m glad that you like it.”

“I do, thank yo-”

“________! Come on, we’re leaving,” Hojin says coming out of the waiting room.

“I’m coming.”

“Well, I guess I’ll leave you to celebrate with your team.”

“Thank you so much for coming and the present. I really appreciate it.”

“No problem and once again, congratulations,” he says before hugging me. “I’ll see you later, yeah?”

“Of course! Drive carefully” I say.