Chapter 3

Until You Stop Breathing

Chapter 3

                Today like any other school day was the same. Diego walked me to every single one of my classes and had lunch with me. This is how it is for me every single day. He follows me everywhere and sticks to me like adhesive glue. The only difference is that my face has more cover-up than usual and I’m wearing long sleeves and pants on a warm day to conceal all of my bruises. This is not the first time that I had to do something like this. However, it’s really inconvenient to be wearing long sleeves and pants on a day where I could be wearing shorts or a skirt. Being sweaty and gross from walking to class in the heat is not fun at hall, trust me!

“Diego, I have to go and meet my advisor, so you can just go. I don’t want you to be late for your next class” I told him as we were walking up the steps leaving the dining hall and into the suffocating warm spring air.

“Why do you have to meet your advisor all of a sudden” he questioned me.

“It’s something about my financial aid” I lied.

“Why? What’s wrong with your financial aid?”

“I’m not sure. That’s why I’m going to meet with him” I responded like I had no clue what was going on.

“You know that if you need money you can just ask me and I’ll give you whatever you need.”

“I know, but I don’t like taking things from other people. You know that.”

“You’re my novia (girlfriend) so I’ll give you whatever you need. If you’re not here then it won’t be fun for me” he said while pouting his lips.

“Thanks. I’m sure it’s not that serious though” I put on a fake smile for him.

“Alright, let’s go to your advisor” Diego said while intertwining our hands together and dragging me behind him.

“But don’t you have a class next?”

“Yup.”

“You’re going to be late.”

“Who says that I’m going to my next class? I’m taking you to your meeting and I’ll be waiting outside until you finish.”

“But finals are next week. What if you miss something important in lecture” I tried to reason him without being too suspicious of my actions.

“You know I’ll be fine. Now, let’s go, hm?”

                At this point there is no use of trying to get him off of my back. Anymore questioning or trying to divert his attention and he’ll get suspicious of me. I don’t need an interrogation or another beating. Diego always gets what Diego wants.

“Well _____, you are applying extremely late for the study abroad program.  Usually people apply from January to March. It is now May.”

“Really” I said looking down trying to hide my extreme disappointment and tears that were threatening to fall. Great, the one shot I had of finally getting away and it disappears before my eyes.

“However, you have beyond excellent grades in all of your classes and have a great record of volunteering, Even though it is late, I don’t see why I can’t make an exception for you to go.”

“Seriously” I said in utter surprise and exasperation.

“Yes, seriously! You’re going to South Korea!!”

“Oh my gosh! Thank you so much Mr. Langsam!” I said with a huge smile not caring about the pain shooting from the bruises on my face.

“Your welcome _____! You deserve it for working so hard” he says while smiling at me.

“Thank you Mr. Langsam, I really appreciate it! Can I ask you something?”

“Of course. Go ahead, _____”

“Can this be kept confidential? I want it to be a surprise. If people find out then it won’t be a surprise anymore.”

“Of course ____” he says while lightly chuckling to himself. “Just remember to fill up the application online by tomorrow at midnight. If you don’t, then I can’t help you out.”

“I will. Thank you so much!” I said while getting up to shake his hand and exit the room.

                Of course as soon as I leave the building Diego is outside waiting for me. I was beyond happy about the news that I didn’t really notice I was smiling.

“Hey, babe! I’m guessing the news was good?”

“Huh?” I looked at him confused.

“You’re smiling.”

“Ah, yes. It went well.”

“Que bueno amor (very good my love)! I guess this means we get to stay together! ”

“Si, it does.” I smile at him. Great!! The pabo doesn’t know anything! Just endure it for a few more months and you’ll be free from this hell!

“Good! Even if it didn’t work out, I would follow you wherever you go” he says and then leans in to kiss me. He slowly wraps his arms around my tiny frame.

                Just a little bit more to endure ____! Himnae (cheer up!) I smile to myself.