Acting Out Maybes and What Ifs

Fantasia vs Cuddles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          “I am strictly advising your husband for a whole week of bed rest, sir. The fatigue has already caught up to him and I’m surprised he was able to hold out this long,” the doctor shook his head and Kris flinched at the slight tone of accusation that he heard implied with the doctor’s words. “He needs to be taken care of and his meals should always be on time. I know how important your jobs are for you but please, do take care of yourselves before things end up getting out of hand,” the doctor continued and Kris has remembered that the Xi’s family doctor is Luhan’s godfather, explaining the paternal tone that he used in subtly chiding his godson’s husband.

          After Ming has escorted the doctor out of their condo, he has also asked him to take care of Luhan’s medications and buy everything necessary. Kris then decided that he should already be talking to Luhan about the things that they have avoided talking about. It has been three years into their marriage and yet, this thing happens under his nose. It’s not like this is unexpected but the elder has mastered downplaying anything that might be hurting him, making it invisible to Kris.

          Kris decided to call Chanyeol first to check up on him and tell him what happened.

          “Hello?”

          “Hi Chan…”

          “Oh, can you call me back in an hour or two? I’m kind of busy.”

          “I see…”

          “Bye, Kris.”

          After he heard the beep, Kris closed his eyes and willed the tears threatening to spill to go back to where they came from. So this is one of those nights, then. At times like this, Kris wants to go back in time. The time a few months after their grand plan has started, about a year ago. There has never been a problem between him and Chanyeol and the fact that they were able to pay each other a visit was good enough for Kris and he was looking forward for the next months to stay that way. But that was just wishful thinking.

          After Kris got back from visiting his boyfriend for his graduation, things started to escalate or rather, go downhill. It depends on how one will view it. Dealing with the problems from bad blood because of his father’s other business, proving themselves to the board, strengthening the company and sustaining business. Because of the lack of proper experience, both Kris and Luhan and engaged themselves fully into their work because there is no space for them to make a mistake. Just one teeny bit wrong will result to a big impact somewhere in the company. That is when the loss of communication increased. It has been Kris first who missed their Skype meetings, forgot to send a text or an email and even greet his boyfriend on his birthday.

          A thousand to a million ‘I’m so sorry. I’m being such a jerk but I love you’ and other variations were sent in the intention of making Chanyeol less hurt. As much as Kris wanted to make this easier for the both of them, it is easier said than done. He knew how much his boyfriend is being affected by his lack of response because even though Chanyeol is a tower always full of happiness, Kris has the effect on him making him extra sensitive with things like not being able to reply to a text or answering to a call.

          And then it is Chanyeol’s turn. When Kris was finally a little more in charge of his time, it is Chanyeol who couldn’t be reached because he has a lot of things to do for the start of his post graduate degree – his parents did want him to pursue law just like how they did. They haven’t even discussed their problem and it lay stagnant. Or so he thought.

          The days that were left without as much as a word from the other increased into weeks, then it stretched into months and Kris couldn’t handle it any longer. Right then when he knew how much it hurts to not hear anything from his boyfriend, he knew that he had to make things right. Fix whatever the problem that they have because if Kris was to be honest, he is scared. He is scared with how this is affecting the both of them and it makes him space out from time to time inside his office, staring at a document longer than what is necessary.

          He had flown to Korea and he planned to stay even just for three days, saying that he needs to oversee something in their branch there and talk to the Ohs on what could they possibly be venturing in. Kris thinks that that is enough time to sort things out and that is just the longest that he could be gone or else, everything might collapse and they might just start again from square one. But he ended up rebooking his flight to the next day because he doesn’t think he can stay there any longer after Chanyeol has said that it is better for them to cool-off for a while.

 

          “We both need it, Kris. You need to focus into the company and I need to focus on my postgrad. And… this is also a free pass,” Chanyeol smiled at him but it looked fake. Kris wants to think that he is just having a bad dream but with a resigned sigh, he knew it wasn’t. “Do whatever you want, Kris. Be happy.”

          “How can you possibly say that?” he demanded to the younger who just looked past him and refusing to meet his eyes. His hands are clenching and unclenching by his sides. His nightmare might’ve been getting into reality already and oh , please don’t be.

          “Because if we keep this up, it will just end up with the both of us getting hurt. I don’t want us to reach the part wherein we deeply loathe each other to be together. It is best to do this now.”

          “But Chanyeol…”

          “Kris, can’t you see? We have different priorities now and they are eating all the time that we could spare apart from sleeping and eating. I don’t want you to fall sick because you are giving up what little time you have for yourself just so we could talk.”

          “I don’t care about that Chanyeol! I’m doing that because I want to. Because I want to hear your voice or know anything about you. You are the only thing that makes me want to put up with all of this. Remember what this plan is for, Chan. Please.”

          “Kris, please,” Chanyeol shook his head and when he looked up to Kris, his eyes looked teary and tired. It shattered Kris’ heart to know that he was the cause of that. He’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter