I'm Glad You're Alive

Professor Oh and I
Luhan POV: 
Consent Form: 
I give my patient permission to take this medication for medical purposes only. My patient agrees to only take the prescribed medication as directed. 
Doctor and patient signature is required and if the patient is under 18, legal guardian signature is required. 
 
Patient Signature: 
Lu Han 
 
Doctor Signature: 
Dr. Cho 
 
Legal Guardian Signature: 
Oh Sehun 
 
What the hell. 
"Why did you sign it?" 
"Luhan, listen to me-"
"Tell me why, I want to know why you signed it. You're not my parent!"
"I know I'm not." Professor Oh came closer to me,
"You told someone didn't you?"
"Hey,"
"Didn't you?! I knew you would! I thought I could trust you." 
"You can trust me. Trust me that this was the best way for you."
"You don't even know me, how would you know what the best is for me?" 
"I won't abuse you."
"My life was fine!"
"So is that why we're here now?" My blood was boiling. I knew I should have never trusted him because he'd tell someone. What, now the whole school would know? It was bad enough already at school without all this but now, now I'd never hear the end of it. 
"I became your legal guardian this morning." I began to cry, hot years running down my cheeks and saliva flooding my mouth. In a split second I became a mess. 
"This is not happening.." I sniffled and my body shook s I cried, because I knew what it all meant. 
"Don't be so upset, I know it'll be a change but it's going to work out. You don't need to be afraid." 
"That's not why I'm upset! I'm not afraid." I calmed myself down knowing I'd regret overreacting even more later on. 
"Professor Oh.." My heavy head fell forward onto his chest as he stepped closer so I wouldn't fall. I let my tears soak into his shirt, 
"The only way you could become my legal guardian is if my father signed papers, right?" 
"Yes." My heart sank. 
"Do you understand now? My father.. He gave me away." I almost didn't believe it as I said it,
"H-he gave me away. His only ch-child. We're blood and he signed a paper to end our ties, he didn't even call me."
"Don't be sad over that, Luhan." 
"Don't be sad? My father signed me over to a man he didn't even know!" I began pounding my weak fists on Professor Oh's chest and whaled. 
"Your father doesn't deserve a bright son like you anyway." Was Professor Oh trying to comfort me? 
"I thought that just maybe, maybe he did love me and I had someone, but I was wrong." 
"That isn't true-"
"Isn't it? My only friend is probably in China or Canada, and my dad doesn't love me, and my mother is dead. I have no one, Professor Oh. Do you even know what that is like?" 
"I do." Professor Oh patted my head and pulled me away from his chest. 
"You do?" 
"Yes." 
"What do you mean?" Why was Professor Oh like that? Every time we spoke about something where we were not insulting one another, he didn't look at me. He probably just thought he was too good for a average high schooler's conversation. 
But that wasn't it, was it? 
"We can talk about it later, let's get your medicine and leave. You need to rest." I decided to let it all sink in for a bit before speaking to him again, so it was good that we had something to do before we'd have to talk. 
So Professor Oh was now my legal guardian? Whether it meant my father was no longer my father or he was my father and just not... Just not what? Was he not allowed to see me now or was he in jail? 
Oh my g-
"Is my father in jail?" 
"What? No. Why would you think that?" It wasn't a strange question to ask. Actually, that should have been my first question, and Professor Oh was lucky I reacted the way I did. If I was taken in by anyone else, anyone but Professor Oh.. 
Then what? What would I have something? 
Professor Oh an exception and I didn't understand why. 
"Life will be normal for him, he just won't have someone to take his anger out on." I didn't answer Professor Oh as he drove back to his apartment. I wondered if my father was worried about me or if he was happy I was gone.
What did it mean to have custody of me? 
 
Things had always been a little awkward between Professor Oh and I, and sometimes it was normal, but it wasn't until I was sitting in his kitchen while he got me some water for my pills, that I felt really relaxed. It made me wonder if he was the one making me feel relaxed or if it was the fact that I didn't have to get beaten anymore. Professor Oh wasn't going to beat me- I hoped. 
I watched as he read the pill bottle with his glasses on, squinting a little. Professor Oh must have been far sighted- then I wondered what his eye sight even was. I wondered how long he's had glasses and how many pairs he'd had, or if he'd broken any. I didn't know him at all. When he was finished reading the label, he shook two pills out, placing them on the counter for me to take. 
"I can tell you're thinking about something."
"What? No." 
"You always make weird faces when you daydream. Tell me before you begin to think crazy things." Professor Oh took a seat across from me and folded his glasses on the table, rubbing his eyes a little. 
"It's nothing." 
"You're going ask me whatever it is sooner or later, just say it." I hated that he was always right. 
"I was just thinking," Swallowing some saliva and biting my lip, I could feel his eyes on me, staring into my thoughts, and it made my cheeks red and body heat up. 
"So if you signed the papers.. What does that make you and I?" 
"Explain." He folded his hands on the table and I felt like we were at school, him sitting behind his desk and me being interrogated like always. 
"I mean.. Does this make you my father?" The question felt just as awkward coming out as it did when I thought about it. I thought Professor Oh was going to say yes or spit out a sarcastic remark, but to my surprise, he began to laugh. He had a bright laugh despite his dark aura, even a bright smile and I was almost positive it was the first time he'd ever smiled like that- well at least in front of me.
"Ha Ha. Very funny, but I'm serious." 
"It's like reverse Star Wars, no Luke- wait wait- Luhan, I'm not your father." Professor Oh started laughing again as I eyed him completely confused. I knew what Star Wars was, but pretty shocked he actually watched it and then referenced it while talking about legal custody. When he saw that I was utterly lost, he stopped laughing in a second and cleared his throat. 
"Star Wars, American movie?"
"Uhh.."
"I forget you're a child, that movies out of your time. Anyway, no I'm not your father. I'm just your legal guardian. I do everything your father would or should do, just without the title."
"So.. Like.."
"So you'll write me down for a guardian when it says parent, I'll sign your school forms and drive you where you need to go and such." 
"I see.. Okay. That's all I was wondering." Professor Oh and I were actually having a serious conversation and I wasn't too uncomfortable with it. I was just feeling awkward because I was in is house, drinking from his cup, and it was actually our house and our cup- it was crazy. 
"We still we need to talk about what happened today." I swallowed my pills and stared at the black counter, not wanting to look up. 
"Okay."
"I wanted to wait and tell you once you were better about becoming your guardian, and I did not expect this all to happen. I apologize for making you upset." Thee Professor Oh was apologizing to me? Where was my video camera? 
"It's alright. It wasn't you that made me upset, it's just a little depressing to know your father didn't love you after all." I sighed knowing I shouldn't have said that, I was letting my guard down too easily. 
"Can I ask you something?"
"Sure." 
"Why did you do it?"
"Do what?"
"Sign the papers. We hardly know one another and I'm just going to be a burden to you." 
"If you were going to be a burden, I wouldn't have signed the papers." 
"Haven't you thought about it?"
"Of course." While I was getting riled up, he was sitting calmly, staring at my face. Most people couldn't stare at someone for more than a few seconds without feeling a little awkward and looking away, but Professor Oh could stare all day if he wanted to, stare with a completely unreadable expression.
"So you've thought about the fact that I'm pretty much broke and can't pay for rent?" 
"Rent?" 
"And I take long showers so I'll waste your hot water."
"Uh-"
"I also eat a ton when I wake up during the middle of the night, and I'll probably end up eating something of yours. And I'm really clumsy and will probably break things- which because I'm broke I can't pay for them.. And I'm really cranky when I first wake up." 
"That's fine, b-"
"I also have work a lot and come home late and I-"
"That doesn't matter. It's fine, it's all fine, okay? Whatever you need, you'll have and whatever your habits are, there's no need to break them. The point is, you're not going to be abused anymore."
"These are all your things that belong here, and I'm just a forgiven object." 
"You keep saying 'you' and 'your' but since this morning, it's 'ours.' Everything here is yours too." 
"I don't think that's in the document you signed." 
"It's my own rule." I rested my heavy head in my hand, propping myself up with my elbow,
"Why didn't you just sign me over to a foster home?" Professor Oh shifted a little in his seat, as if thinking about something. But he didn't speak with a strange tone, rather strange words. 
"Your father requested I take you in. He didn't want you to be with someone you didn't know at all." 
"My father?" Maybe he was looking out for me.
"Yeah, and I'll take care of everything from now own, so you don't need to worry." I let a small smile spread across my face knowing that my father cared, even if it was the slightest, he cared. 
"What did you mean earlier when you said you knew what it was like to have no one?" 
"I think you should rest." Professor Oh stood up and scooped me off the stool, bringing me to his room and laying me on the bed. He sat down next to me and sighed.
"Can you tell me?" 
"Maybe a different time." 
"Oh.. Okay."
"When you're able to run, then I'll tell you." 
"When I can run? Why?"
"Incase you want to run away." Well what the hell did that mean? I stayed silent because I had no words to say. What would Professor Oh tell me that I would want to run away from? I grew extremely curious and motivated myself to heal faster- even though I couldn't exactly do that. 
Did Professor Oh kill someone? 
Or was he a spy? 
No wonder he acted so solemn! He was trained to be a spy... Wait. 
Then aren't I in danger? 
But he must be a good spy since he took me in- unless I'm just his cover story.. Then why am I-
"I can seriously hear your thoughts. Stop and go to sleep."
"..Are you a spy?" 
"No."
"Exactly what a spy would say." I whispered to myself. 
"You're delusional." I snuggled into bed more and my left side. "It would have been cool if you were a spy.." Forgetting Professor Oh was next to me, I was met with the side of his arm- but neither of us moved away. I wasn't sure if he was aware that my face was so close to his elbow, but I guessed he wasn't since I was completely in his personal space. Professor Oh was sitting in bed, reading a book. It was a different book then the ones I saw in school or the one I saw earlier at the cafe. I loved books too, I'd read almost every single one in the school library, but I'd never seen the ones he was reading. It made me wonder what types of literature Professor Oh liked and why he liked them. I honestly liked romance novels because the people were so happy, and it made me happy even when I was in the darkest time. Taking my head into my chest a little, I took a deep breath. 
Everything was warm, the blankets, my body, his body, I could feel heat radiating from his arm. It felt nice. 
Professor Oh rubbed his eyes and yawned, but continued to read. 
"If you're tired, you should take a rest too." 
"I'll wait until you fall asleep incase you need something." My stomach churned, feeling extremely guilty. I had kept him up late last night, kept him home from work, made him take me to the doctors and now he couldn't even rest, all because of me. Burdening people was one of the things I hated most in the world, I didn't want to make a person do something they didn't want to just for my sake.. I wasn't worth a special trip either. Knowing that I wasn't going to need anything anytime soon, I shook my head,
"No. I don't need anything." 
"That's fine, I'll still wait." 
"I won't sleep if you're not sleeping too." 
Because you need it more than I do.
"Okay," Professor Oh sighed and closed his book, getting out of bed. 
"I'll sleep too, then. I forgot that I should change your clothes though, they're dirty." 
"Dirty?"
"You sweat a lot in your sleep." Psht. I was again scooped up and brought into the bathroom and placed to sit on the counter. A fresh pair of sweat pants and t-shirt was brought in, and he began to pull on my shirt. 
"I-I can do it myself." Professor Oh shrugged and let me take off my own shirt. He began undressing as well, and I felt a little uncomfortable. We were both men, so it wasn't like I was seeing a man for the first time in my life.. And he wasn't even .. But the fact that he was my teacher felt a little strange. 
I watched as he took of his coat and sweater, revealing a pretty transparent white v-neck underneath which was soon taken off as well. Professor Oh was half but I couldn't peel my eyes away. His skin was flawless- his back anyways. 
When he turned and saw me staring, my eyes still would not look away. What was it like to be perfect inside and out? One look at me and people would be horrified, one look at him and people would run to shake his hand. I didn't want to be myself, and I wished I was perfect. 
What would it be like to be Professor Oh? 
I'd never know. 
"Luhan?" Finally I let my eyes turn away as I tuned my head to look in the mirror at my own back, scarred, scratched and bruised. Blinking away tears that were beginning to form, I drifted my eyes up the mirror. 
Professor Oh was staring at me,
our eyes meeting in the reflection. 
"My body isn't perfect either." How did he do that? How could he always see right through me, and know what I was thinking? It both amazed and pissed me off because I never knew what he was thinking. 
"Well it looks better than mine." I let out a laugh although nothing was funny. The fact that he was trying to compare himself to me was a joke. Some people were just born to be great, and others were just born. 
"You don't have any scars. Nothing to remind you of anything bad. You can just forget, I can't." 
"I have scars." 
"Yeah, well it doesn't look like it."
"It's because your salty tears are getting in the way. Stop crying and you'll see." Professor Oh stepped closer to me with his hand on his shoulder as I blinked away my tears. 
"Where is it?" 
"Here." He removed his hand, shocking me.
"See, I'm not perfect either." My hand moved by itself, slowly reaching up towards his scar. It was a little ways below his clavicle on the right side, a pinkish, white, scar. 
What shocked me was that outside the scar, there were dark lines, blue and almost black looking and a few red ones as well. It looked like lighting shooting all the way around a circle. 
"I was shot a long time ago, it hurt like hell." All of his chest was pale and smooth, but that one spot, around three inches, didn't even look like skin but more like a canvas that an artist had painted. My hand shook as it neared Professor Oh's scar. I wanted to feel it, I wanted to feel that it was real and once my fingers met his skin, I knew it was. The reaction from Professor Oh, the slight jolt when I touched it, he could feel my fingers, he could feel the touch. I traced the lines and touched the center, staring at it, not being able to take my eyes off of it. He was so close to me and probably was weirded out by what I was doing, but I was so infatuated by the scar. 
"Does it hurt?" I continued to trace it. 
"Not anymore." 
"What are these lines from?" 
"I've never known. Neither have the doctors I've been too. Some say it was excess stress on the skin that caused some of the cells to permanently die, others say it was a reaction to the bullet. I say I just deserved it."
"Deserve it..? Why did you get shot?" Professor Oh took my hand and placed it back in my lap. 
"I was a bad kid." Saying no more to explain himself, he put on a new shirt and sat on the edge of the counter next to me. 
It was hard for me to picture an improper Professor Oh. 
 
Professor Oh POV: 
I didn't know why I let Luhan see my scar. No one I'd ever known had ever seen it because I was ashamed of it. The scar was the definition of ugly and it pained me to bare it so obvious on my skin. 
"What did you do?"
"Gang related things.. I used to live in America and I got into some bad situations."
"Oh.. it was so close to so many arteries, I'm surprised it didn't kill you." 
"You'd like that, wouldn't you, haha." I let myself laugh even though I didn't find it funny, it was more of a pity laugh. 
"No, Professor Oh." Luhan placed his hand on my thigh and we slowly looked up at one another. 
"I wouldn't like that."  
 
(A/N-
Hey, sorry for the quick chapter. Honestly I've just been trying to get through this part because I have SO much in store!! But I just don't wanna rush too much haha, it'll get more interesting so keep reading!(: 
Please upvote and subscribe~~ 
Thanks!)