Four years ago

If Only

 

 

 

He was called Seungri, photographer extraordinaire. His assignments were mostly for top fashion houses and his work could be found everywhere. People flocked to his studio hoping for a rare glimpse at the handsome young photographer or better yet, get him to agree to photograph something other than leggy models.

 

His real name was Lee SeungHyun, street rat and pickpocket extraordinaire. He was an orphan and had no past. It had taken more than eight years to slowly bury his past, to forget himself. He had placed layers and layers upon his old self that he couldn't remember how he actually was before he was picked up and formally adopted.

 

Or so he told himself.

 

Part of him would never forget living on the streets, never forget living hand to mouth, never forget life. Buried along with his past, was his pain and he had taken to living with a continuous fool grin on his face. No one saw beyond the smile, beyond the whirlwind of activity that made up him.

 

"Bos… bos!" Someone yelled.

 

Seungri started, jerked from melancholic thoughts to the present and he smiled up at his assistant, IU. "Sorry, just spacing for a while."

 

IU sighed, shaking her head as if resigned. "Are you done with the clean up?" she peered over his shoulder at the laptop screen. "That has been calling all morning for the first draft."

 

Seungri sighed, rubbing a hand wearily over his tired eyes. "That man is a pain in the , and you can, no, you must quote me."

 

IU giggled softly. "I thought you were going to kill him the last time he called to tell you he had changed his wedding suit again."

 

"He has changed his stupid wedding suit four times. Four times. Four wedding suits. Do you know how expensive those stupid things are?" Seungri's frugal sensibilities were suitably shocked.

 

"You didn't have to agree to the assignment you know," IU reasoned.

 

Seungri shrugged. "It was a slow week."

 

Yeah, right, slow week. It had been years since Seungri Studios had a slow day, much less a slow week. After being in business for more than three years, he had been the most sought after photographer for all major fashion houses. Seungri somehow had managed to balance his time, rejecting certain jobs to ensure he didn't fall over from exhaustion. But for the past few months, he had been working himself hard, driving himself closer and closer to the edge. He needed the distraction, needed to take his mind off the turmoil in his life. He needed to forget the fact that the one person he trusted most in his life had betrayed him. The person whom he thought he could spend the rest of his life with was found wrapped in the arms of another and wearing little else.

 

Suddenly, the airy office with huge windows became stifling and Seungri was overwhelmed with the desire get out of there.

 

"I'm going for a walk," Seungri said, lunging suddenly from his chair. A wave of dizziness swamped him unexpectedly, and he heard his assistant calling his name from far away, an annoying ringing resounding in his ears. When the wave passed, he found himself back in his chair, with his assistant hovering close by.

 

"Boss? Are you okay?" IU peered worriedly at her boss's pale face.

 

Seungri lowered his head into raised hands. "Yeah," he mumbled. "I think I need more sleep and to stand up slower."

 

"You don't look so good, Seungri." IU still looked worried and the use of her boss's name only enhanced that concern. His assistant knew better than to call him something else but only let it slip when she was really worried about her normally perky boss.

 

"Don't worry, I'm fine," he forced a smile for his dark haired assistant. "I just need some air, I'll be fine." He got up again, slowly this time, testing his legs. After making sure they were not going to buckle, he stepped around her and walked towards the door. "Take any messages and if Mr. TOP calls back, tell him to shove it."

 

Seungri stepped into the warm sunshine of the late summer evening taking a deep breath. It was a beautiful day. He walked around the block towards the park not far from his office, his mind still on one this Mr. TOP. Who use to name themselves TOP? Well, apparently this one does.

 

And unfortunately for him, this man was someone who didn't understand the word no. Stalkers should take lessons from this man. Somehow, this man had found Seungri home address, which he guarded with his life and staked it out until he got home from another assignment.

 

"Mr. TOP," he turned smiling. "How may I help you?" He recognised the handsome man in front of him because they had met once at his office.

 

"It’s difficult to find you," TOP said.

 

"What do you want, Mr. TOP?" Seungri asked tiredly, too exhausted to try to be polite. He stood just outside his door and made no move to enter his apartment.

 

"It's TOP," Mr Ice-King corrected, smiling disarmingly at Seungri. He raised an eyebrow. "Aren't you inviting me in?"

 

"No, my home is my private affair. I don't bring business into it. If you want to speak to me about your wedding pictures, we can make another appointment tomorrow." Seungri dismissed the man in front of him and turned his back on him.

 

"No, Seungri, I won't make another appointment which you have no intention to keep," TOP said, firmly. "I can pay you, you are the best. And I only get the best."

 

Seungri let out a sighed. He had been avoiding TOP like a plague and now he has a second thought. He stared the man in front of him. It's just another assignment, what harm would it do? Besides, having someone like him as acquaintance wouldn't do too much harm to his reputation.

 

"Fine," Seungri agreed, not knowing then what a huge mistake it would be.

 

In the flowing weeks, he had come to hate T.O.P.! Everything had to be just right, everything wasn't at all right even if he insisted it would be as right as it ever will be. If murder wasn't a crime, that man would be dead by now. He had changed everythings!! Including the wedding date. Seungri was surprised this man didn't change the bride as well.