Chapter sixteen

✔Revenge, ✘not love

Krystal's pov  

 

When I opened my eyes, I was in some kind of garden with roses and thorns all around. It was dark, the moon and stars illuminated the sky. I wandered around the place, a voice called out for me. I turned my head around but there wasn't anyone around. When I turned my head back to the front, I was startled by someone standing right in front of me.

"A-Amber?" My eyes widened when he pointed a dagger at me, his eyes cold and menacing. I stepped back as he advanced forward. "W-what are you doing?!" Tears were rolling down my cheeks as he grabbed me by my shoulder and pierced the sword right through my heart...

 

"Krystal?" I jolted up. My palms and forehead were sweating. I turned and saw Jessica looking at me worriedly. 

"Why are you here in my tent?" I asked while wiping the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand. She looked at me weirdly. 

"Uhm, we're actually in the girls' tent." Jessica said quietly. I frowned and glanced around me. My eyes widened when I realized this was actually the girls' tent. The girls were still sleeping soundly in their respective sleeping bags. Did I sleep walked here?

"How did I get here?" I rubbed my temples.

"You were already here when I woke up." She touched my shoulder. "Are you okay?" I shrugged her hand off me. She looked hurt for a moment.

"Yeah." I said flatly before exiting their tent.

It was already dawn and the air outside was chilly. I hugged myself and sat on the sandy shore as I watched the sun rise, reflecting its orange red on the sea. It was a magnificent sight, I was so awe-struck by the view I hadn’t even notice someone sitting down right beside me.

"Beautiful." My shoulders jumped and I turned to see Amber looking at me. I blushed hard. Did she just say I am beautiful? "Beautiful isn't it?" He turned his gaze to the front and muttered.

"Oh." I mumbled. So he was talking about the sunrise. Why did I felt so disappointed? 

"I haven't seen you since yesterday, how are you?" Amber asked without looking at me.

"I'm fine." I said. "How about your wound?"

"It's not that painful anymore." 

"Oh." I murmured. "Thanks for saving me by the way." He turned his head and raised a brow. 

"The bratty princess actually knows how to thank someone?" I glared at him and punched his arm. He clutched his arm and winced in pain.

"OMG, are you okay?! I'm so sorry!" I panicked. He glanced at me with the corner of his eyes and snickered. "You!" I glared at him and he burst out in laughter. I crossed my arms and pouted. He pinched my cheeks and grinned. "Yah!" He suddenly let go of his hand and tilted his head to look behind me. 

"Hey Jess." I frowned. "Come sit here." He patted the space beside him. "Or you can sit beside Krystal." I winced a bit at the idea. Of course Jessica chose the former and sat beside Amber. There was an awkward silence before Amber eventually broke it by clearing his throat.

"How old are you Jessica?" Why is he talking to Jessica instead of me? I narrowed my eyes in distaste.

 "I'm 17." Jessica answered simply. 

"How about you, Krystal?" Oh, so now you're talking to me? I came second after Jessica huh?

"16 by next month." I said flatly. 

"I turned 16 yesterday." I turned to face him, and I noticed Jessica doing the same.

"Happy birthday Amber." Jessica said and held Amber's hand. Damn, she beat me to it. 

"Thanks Jess." Amber smiled appreciatively at Jess. He turned to me expectantly.

"Oh, good that you're finally older." I said nonchalantly. He raised a brow at me. "What?"

"You're still being a huh?" He snorted.

"Fine you jerkhead. Happy belated birthday. Enjoy your time with your lovely girlfriend." I glared at him before standing up hastily and stomped away without looking at them. What is wrong with me these days?

 

..........

 

Amber's pov

 

"Gees, what is wrong with that girl?" I muttered and stared at her retrieving back. 

"Amber." I turned and looked at Jessica. She looked a little sad. 

"Jessica?" I caressed her head. "Are you upset?" Is it because of how Krystal was acting towards her? I had been wondering why Krystal never seemed to acknowledge Jessica as her older sister.

"A-ah." She looked at me. "N-no."

"It's been on my mind these days. Why does Krystal seems to..." I paused to look for the right word.

"Hate me?" Jessica cut me off. I rubbed my back nervously and nodded. She sighed. "Since we were young, our parents have been extra strict to her, even though I am older. They never let her to play outside, or send her to school. She was home tutored until the age of 14."

"Why is that?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"I don't know." She shook her head and heaved out a deep breath. "All I know is that mom and dad never granted her freedom. Whereas they let me do as I want." She paused, her eyes seemed to darkened. "After my father's dead, my mom became very strict to Soojung. Mom hired people to look at her 24/7."

"Why?" I couldn't picture a mother doing this to her own child. Locking her up in a cage and stop her from doing anything she likes.

"Soohyun, our head butler said it was for her own safety. She was locked up in her room for 6 years, only then mom permit her to go to school." I sat rigid, registering everything into my head. So the princess had a past like this...

"So that's why she... dislikes you? Because she hates that you had the freedom she never had?" Jessica nodded her head faintly.

"Probably."

 

......... 

 

Krystal sat alone in her tent that night. She was upset over nothing in particular. She saw Amber and her older sister chatting happily while having their dinner. She felt anger surging through her for some reason. What was she fussing over? This feeling was foreign to her. 

Suddenly, a loud roaring sound filled the air. She screamed and hid under her blanket. Thunder. Was it raining tonight? She shivered as another deafening booming sound was heard. She curled under the cover and muffled her ears with her palms. She whimpered and shivered uncontrollably.

She needed her maid, Victoria, who always comes to her rescue when something like this happens. But Victoria wasn't here. Krystal sobbed and hugged herself tightly. She screamed when there was another thunder. Suddenly, she felt someone else on the bed. She was about to scream when that person pulled the blanket off her and pulled her into his arms.

"It’s okay, Krystal." That person's voice sounded into her ear. "I'm here."

"Amber?" She squeaked weakly.

"I'm here." She whispered into her ear, sending shivers down her spine. Krystal's heart beat violently against her chest and her stomach felt sick. Amber on the other hand felt the urge to hug Krystal tighter but was afraid to hurt her. She felt adrenaline rushing through every part of her body system. 

Krystal rested her head on Amber's chest and listened to her rapid heartbeat. 

Is he feeling nervous too? 

What is this feeling? Is this love?