Baseball

This isn't a Korean Drama.

 

 

“Owaaaa they even look so cool while stretching!” Suzy beamed while looking down at the field where the baseball team had gathered for their very first game.

“The crowd is going crazy for Dongho!” Suzy said as she looked around, staring at the girls holding banners of Dongho’s picture and name.

“We should’ve made a banner for Dongho too!” Jiyeon chirped “To show our support.”

Taemin smiled and shook his head as he propped his elbows on his knees and looked at Jiyeon “Ani….Dongho doesn’t like those stuff.”

“Chincha?” Suzy said looking at him wide eyed “Why not?”

“He says it brings pressure, he doesn’t like it.” Taemin answered.

Saeli nodded as she looked back down at the field, staring at Dongho as he adjusted his blue cap and smiled as his teammates while he encouraged them. He took one glance at the crowd of people and they immediately bursts into screams, making Dongho sigh and look away.

“DONGHO OPPA HWAITING! SARANGHEYO!” One girl screamed, making Dongho cringe and shake his head as he walked to the center of the field and talked to Chunji who was testing his spikes. Saeli bit her lower lip, preventing herself from laughing at the girl who had just been neglected by her “loved” one.

 

 

Once the game had started, the crowd got even more rowdy, making a few student councils try and calm the students down. But it was useless; they believed that if they cheered louder, the teams would play better. Saeli got sick of the ear deafening screams that she eventually walked down the bleachers and was about to leave when she heard almost a thousand gasps. She snapped her head towards the field and immediately saw 2 players on the same team on the ground.

The baseball players all ran to the center of the field, trying to find out what would happen. The school’s baseball coach immediately ran back towards the benches, his face filled with worry and aggravation.

“Jin, you’re batting.” He screamed to the skinny boy seated on the bench who had widened his eyes at the mention of his name.

“Where’s Bae?!” The coach screamed.

“He broke his leg last week coach.” Another player answered “And Jung got the flu and wont be able to come in until tomorrow.”

“AHHH!” The coach took off his hat and threw it on the ground “I FORGOT ABOUT THAT. WE’RE OUT OF SUBS!”

“I’ll do it.” A confident voice said from behind them, making the coach snap his head to the back, only to find Saeli looking at him, her arms crossed over her chest as she stood tall and confident.

The baseball players gasped and some even snorted, shocked at the fact that a girl was willing to play for their team.

“What makes you think I’ll let a girl play?” The coach arched an eyebrow.

“Would you let a girl who’s good a baseball play or a boy who at the sport play?” She countered.

“Who said you were any good, don’t think so high of—“ The coach was about to say but someone had placed an arm over Saeli’s shoulder and stood beside her.

“Coach she’s really good. I’ve seen her toss a ball, she’s really strong and her arms have a great angle. For a girl, she runs pretty fast, she can even catch up to Taemin who is one of the fastest runner’s in school.” Chunji said looking down at Saeli who nodded “I think our only problem is her batting.”

Saeli raised a hand and cleared “I went to a batting rink for 2 years straight with my dad before, so I got that pretty much covered.”

“Are girls even allowed to play?” Another player asked.

Dongho walked pass the crowd and stood beside Chunji “I read the school rule book and there’s nothing against women, so they cant use that against us.”

“You’re agreeing with this Dongho?” The coach asked, totally baffled.

Dongho simply nodded and crossed his arms over his chest “I’m not forfeiting. We cant risk it.”

“Then…” The coach sighed “…Get her in a uniform! FAST.”

 

 

 

“What is this?” The coach of the other team spat as he looked at Saeli “What is that thing doing here?”

“THING?!” Saeli growled ready to hit the rude man, but Chunji grabbed her arm and shook his head at her.

“This is our substitute player.” Their coach defended.

“Yeah.” A player of the opposing team laughed “But shes a girl.”

“Guessed that on your own?” Saeli arched an eyebrow at him.

“We are not playing against a girl!” The coach of the opposing team snorted “Are you guys really that desperate?”

Dongho and his teammates became totally silent once they saw they’re coach take a step closer to the other coach, his eyes filled with anger.

“Then why wont you go against us?” He asked “What else does your team have to loose now that your against a girl?”

“Alright.” The other coach laughed as he backed away “Its your problem anyway.” He then looked at Saeli with a grin “Goodluck little girl.”

Saeli looked at the coach who clapped his hands and faced the players “alright, so we’re leading by one point. We have 5 minutes left, if we get 2 home runs, then we’re good to go. Chunji, your batting next okay?”

“Yes coach.” Chunji nodded.

“Then Dongho, you go after him. The pride of this team is in both your hands” The coach sighed “And if we still have time, then we get girly over here to bat next.”

“Then me playing is practically useless.” Saeli scoffed.

“Stop whining.” Dongho spat.

 

Everyone screamed once Chunji couldn’t make the first base, making the opposing team cheer as they high fived each other. Chunji on the other hand threw his cap on the ground and let out a loud growl. The coach followed his actions and looked at Dongho who was holding the bat.

“I guess getting a tie will expand our chances?” Another player said.

“But it means she’s batting next.” Another guy said looking at Saeli “We’ll surely loose.”

Saeli growled at him but watched as Dongho made his way towards the field, the bat in his hands. She looked back at the crowd and saw how all of them had grown silent and just watched Dongho, most of them crossing fingers, praying that he would immediately get a home run.

Eventually a loud whistle blew, signifying the continuation of the game. The pitcher smirked at Dongho menacingly while Dongho just gave him a cold glare.
The pitcher eventually raised his hand and threw the ball, and within the blink of an eye, Dongho swung his bat and the ball was flying in the air. He didn’t waste anytime; he dropped the bat and started running towards all the bases. But once he was about to reach the final base, the opposing team had finally grabbed hold of the ball. Dongho stopped running and looked at his coach who sighed and dropped his head.

“We need to send her in.” He mumbled.

All the boys turned towards Saeli who grabbed the bat Dongho had dropped. She looked at the pitcher who sent her another one of his teasing smirks.

“Hey babe.” He teased “Ready to lose?”

Saeli smirked in return “Don’t cry when a girl kicks your okay?”

The pitcher growled at the comment and immediately threw the ball at her, but Saeli was fast to react. She swung the bat at the exact right moment, sending a loud boom running through the ears of every player as they watched the ball fly high in the air.

“DONGHO RUN!” Saeli screamed as she dropped the bat and ran. Dongho who was still in a daze from what she had done, snapped his head up and widened his eyes when he saw Saeli running. He immediately made his way towards the final base and smiled happily.

“SAFE!” One of the referees’ screamed.

Dongho snapped his head back and watched as Saeli ran past the opposing players who were scrambling around, shocked that a girl could hit that far. Once she was reaching the final base, the crowd had finally stood up, screaming out their cheers.

“FASTER!” Dongho screamed.

Saeli forced her legs to go even faster and once she had stepped on the final base, the crowd screamed with joy when the referee had screamed “SAFE!”

Dongho grabbed Saeli’s arm, trying to make her land safe from her running and with one swift movement he had her in his arms.

“YOU DID IT!” He beamed

Saeli who had adrenaline running through her body instinctively wrapped her hands around his waist and smiled.

“I did it.” She breathed and slammed her forehead on his chest.