e i g h t

Cheating Hearts

Dara felt the vibration of her phone on her table. She’s now on her last subject for today and somehow, hearing that annoying tone made her irritated. She stares at her phone and saw that the message came from Kiko and Jiyong and by merely seeing their names flashing on her phone made her more irritated. Jiyong and Kiko was her constant companion along with Donghae; but the thing is, both of them don’t know that she already know what their doing behind her back.

She left a heavy sigh and read the messages. Even if she wanted to ignore the text messages, she’s a little bit curious to what they texted. No one knows, they might reveal their ‘secret’ relationship via text message. She thought bitterly.

 

From Kiko:

I’d like to have a word with you Dara. Ca we meet tomorrow?

 

Dara shook her head upon seeing Kikos’ message. She’s curious to what she’s going to tell to her. Will she tell her the real score between her and Jiyong? Will she tell her that she’s having s with her boyfriend? She has lots of questions and she’s afraid that it might spill on once they’ll spent time together. She may be calm outside but deep inside of her, she’s very mad at them. The fact that both of them act like nothing when they’re together despise her; the fact that they didn’t even give a budge to tell her the truth on continue to lie irritates her.

“What do you want now Kiko?” she mumbled, trying her best not to gave a reply on her. She stares at Jiyongs name and her eyebrows furrow upon seeing his name. she never realized that she’s very much in-love with him, that despite what he did towards her, she still didn’t change his name on her phone.

 

From Jiyong <3:

I’ll meet you after your class babe. See you. :]

 

“Ha!” she said out loud. Her classmates gave her that quizzical look and she awkwardly smile at them. She scans again her phone and an idea came up to her mind. Payback time, babe. She thought. She didn’t give a budge on giving a reply to Jiyongs’ text. If this happen before she knew what Jiyong is doing behind her back, sure thing she’ll give him a reply in an instant and even got excited to their ‘date’. But the real thing is this: she knew that he’s doing something behind her back with Kiko and with the other girls.

She smirked upon remembering her idea and got excited about it. When the bell rang, she stands up and gathers her things. She smirked and moves herself towards the door. She already saw the two important persons in her life now: that’s Donghae and Jiyong.

“Babe!” Jiyong said, then gave her a soft kiss on her cheeks. Why Jiyong? You’ve got no date with Kiko?

She smiled at him. “Dara…” Donghae mumbled, with softness on his voice. Donghae sighed and convince himself that he shouldn’t feel something, most especially that Jiyong is in-front of them.

Dara gave him a genuine smile, which she always gives towards Donghae. She faced Jiyong and cupped his face. As much as she loves him, she despises the idea that she’s cupping his face now and the thought that when she’s not around, someone else is doing it towards him. “I’m so sorry Ji but Donghae and I will go to the mall and will start making out term paper.”

Jiyongs’ smile faded away upon hearing that information from her. He tries to understand but he just can’t. “Y-you didn’t even give a beep.”

“I’m sorry Ji.” Dara said, while gently squeezing his cheeks. “I cannot give you a reply because our professor might see me.”

Jiyong sighed. I will understand, heck! This is academic matters, not a date. He thought. He looked at Donghae who’s now in his passive mode. Jiyong cannot see any excitement on his face and he was quite happy about it. Yeah, this is just academic matters.

“But you can continue your date after our term paper Jiyong.” Donghae said out of nowhere. “We’ll just star observing the environment since this is just an experimental term paper. We’ll just gather some literature from the bookstore and will formulate some test questions and strategies.”

Jiyong gave him a light tap on his shoulder. “No, it’s okay. I understand. Just make sure that she comes home after that safely, bro.”

“No problem.”

“Is it really okay Ji?” Dara asked. “I can still cancel this and have a date with you.” She thought but deep inside of her, she wanted to hurt him. See Jiyong? I was never born to be taken for granted.

“No, no, Dara. Just finish it and give me a call after that, okay?”

“Okay.”

Jiyong smiled and give her a small peck on her lips, which disgust Dara. Did you kissed other girls awhile ago Ji? How dare you kiss me! She thought, but still gave him a soft smile. “Bye.”

“Take care.”

“I will.”

“Bye.”

When Jiyong was walking away, she didn’t notice that she’s holding her fist tightly and even biting her lower lip. Jiyong was one of a hell jerk! “.” She mumbled.

“At it’s finest.” Jiyong said. He sighed and gave her a smile. He slowly intertwined their hands, making sure that he holds her hand tightly. “So, can we have now our first date?”

 

***

 

“How could you! You cheated! Arghh!” Dara said, while thumping her feet on the floor. She didn’t even give a budge at the thought that some people were staring at them, giving them quizzical look. “Lee Donghae!”

Donghae was surprisingly laughing his heart out. Seeing how Daras’ nose flare and his red face made him laugh for more. She even looks cuter when she’s doing that and he can’t help it but suppress a laugh. “I didn’t cheat!” he said, trying to convince her. He was walking towards her while laughing. Though he has an idea that this will happen, he still can’t help it but cry upon having a close encounter with it. “It’s just that, this thing is not for you.”

“No! You cheated.” She protested.

Donghae was still laughing his heart out and envelope Dara on his embrace. Even if they’re now soaking with sweats, he still wanted to envelop her on his embrace. “Basketball is not for you Dara.”

They’re now at the basketball court of their school. Donghae asked his friend, Kris who’s the basketball team captain, to let them play on the other side of the court while they’re having their practice. Dara was still blushing upon realizing that they’re now being stared by other people. Who wouldn’t? They’re the only one playing basketball while giggling like idiots! They’re not even wearing an appropriate uniform since they’re wearing civilian attire.

“But you cheated.” She said, still trying to convince herself that Donghae cheated- the reason why he won. “You’re not capable of being good in two sports at a time! It’s not possible!”

Donghae just laughed and her and gave her a small kisses on her hair. “Tss. I even allowed you to travel but still, you can’t even shoot a ball on the ring. You’re too small for a college student.”

Dara just pouted. She can’t accept defeat. She’s still convincing herself that Donghae cheated when she felt Donghaes’ soft and warm lips on her forehead, that made her look at him. She felt her face was burning indicating that she’s blushing. She wanted to look away but her eyes were now glued on his handsome face.

“This is our first date and it’s quite ironic since we’re being showy about our relationship.” Donghae said while staring at Dara. Even if they’re sweating and quite smelly both of them didn’t even give a damn. He manages to stare at her as if she’s the most important thing in his world. “And it’s funny how we play and have a date in a normal way, not even thinking that what we have is a weird situation. You’re cheating, we’re cheating and the whole campus might know that we’re now cheating at your boyfriend; that you’re my secret girlfriend.”

Dara smiled. “You’re not my secret boyfriend Donghae, you’re now my boyfriend.

“Silly. Of course, I am your boyfriend.” Donghae mumbled, giving her a smile.

Dara smiled at him too and even hold his hand and then drag him towards the gate of the gym. “Let’s go to my dorm. I’ll cook you something.”

“Really? You know how to cook?” Donghae asked, amusingly.

“Of course! I learn that when we’re still in the Philippines.” She said while giggling. They’re now walking towards the school lobby. But on their thoughts, they’re not afraid of being caught. In Daras’ heart, she’s much more willing to be caught by Jiyong for him to feel what she felt seeing his boyfriend cheat towards her. She didn’t manage to let go of their intertwined hands.

“Well, that’s good to hear. Now let’s taste your masterpiece, chef Dara.” He said, making Dara giggle and have a somersault feeling. But deep inside of her, she wanted to do that on Jiyong. She tried her best to learn cooking so that she can cook for Jiyong when they’re now together again.

“Sure. Come!”

 

***

 

Jiyong was silently walking towards his dorm when Kiko approached him. He was not focused on anything because his attention is diverted to Dara. This is the very first time that she rejected his offer-on having a date with him. Ever since they got back together when she came back for him, this will be their supposed to be first date. What they have on the swing isn’t even considered as a date.

He realized that he will change. He will change himself. He contemplated that what he’s doing isn’t justifiable. He keeps on cheating when in fact; the reason why he got into that situation- being a jerk and cheating on her girlfriend- is already here. He was acting like a , he’s admitted to that. He takes for granted Dara and he was guilty to it. He’ll make sure that everything will be on the right places- he’ll stop acting like a jerk and get rid of his past flings. He’ll never cheat on her because Dara deserves the best and he knew that he’s the best for her.

Even if he commits mistakes- cheating on her and takes her for granted- he’s willing to get rid of his flings. He’ll make things right. But the thing is, it was a failed attempt. Maybe I can ask her again next time… he thought. He was happy that Sandara was taken care of by his best-friend when he was on his jerk-state of mind. Donghae is a reliable friend.

“Jiyong!” Kiko yelled when he didn’t even give a damn to her. He’s busy about thinking what he’ll do to surprise Dara- will he cook for her? Will he bring her to his home so that she’ll meet his parents?

Kiko run towards Jiyong when he didn’t hear her and taps his shoulder. “Jiyong!”

“Oh, Kiko. What are you doing here?” Jiyong asked, still walking towards his dorm.

“I thought you’ll have a date with Dara today?” She asked, but deep inside of her, she’s happy that Dara and Jiyong aren’t together today. It only means that she can spend time with Jiyong today. “By the way, where is she?”

“She’s with Donghae today, making their term papers.” Jiyong said. “Why are you here by the way?”

“I-I’d like to spend time with you.” She murmured, making Jiyong stop. He stares at her intently and was out of words from nowhere. “S-since Dara isn’t around, I-I can be with you.”

Jiyong holds Kikos’ shoulder and stares at her intently. This is Kiko, his high school classmate. Dara wasn’t able to meet her because she went overseas. If Dara didn’t go, would Kiko and her will be best of friends? Would they be still together? Would he be a normal teen-ager who’s crazy in-love with his first love? Will he be the best boyfriend for the best girl named Sandara Park?

“J-Jiyong… I love you very, very much.” Kiko said, while staring straight to his eyes. Jiyongs’ eyes soften and he’s now staring at her with pity. “Come on, don’t give me that look. I-I know you love her but, you love me right? You love me too, right?” “

Jiyong scans his heart and he found… her. His Sandara. He looked at Kiko and he felt sorry for her. He used her; he used her vulnerability and her love for him. “T-thank you…” Jiyong said. He doesn’t want to shake her by feeding her lies. He likes her, and not love. There’s a thin line between the two.

Kiko weakly smiled at him. She’s now on the verge of crying and she knew herself that well that she’ll break-down in-front of him. “W-well, an ‘I love you’ isn’t a question so it doesn’t require an answer right?”

“Kiko… I-I’m sorry…”

Kiko shook her head and dismiss Jiyong. She faked a smile which she bet looks like a crooked one. “NO, it’s okay Jiyong, really. I-I’m fine…”

“I know you’re not…” Jiyong said.

Kiko was crying, silently, in-front of Jiyong and it burdens his heart. He doesn’t want someone else cries for him. He’s a jerk, an and a good for nothing ungrateful guy. “If you know then, stop hurting me.”

“H-how?” Jiyong asked, in a dreadful tone.

“L-love me… leave Dara. C-choose me Jiyong… Choose me.” Kiko said pleading. She never pleads for someone’s affection and Jiyong is the first one. She holds his hands firmly and looks at his eyes with tears. “Love me Jiyong, please. I-I never plead all my life, but… but all I want is you- your affection, your care, your love.”

“Kiko…”

“You said that Dara is just your flavor of the month. You told me that so you better get rid of her because I’m good enough! She left you, she left you hanging and now she came back just because she like it? She came back to ruin you? Us?” Kiko said. Her heart is aching and she’s not capable of fighting back her emotions and her tears. She let them flow and her emotions go. “I-I’ve worked hard for this for our relationship Jiyong. I-I followed you, I begged for you to just… to just like me. W-we’re almost there Jiyong, I can feel that you’re almost there…”

“W-we never have a relationship Kiko…” Jiyong whispered but Kiko heard it, and it pains her heart hearing those words, those confirmatory words. “W-were just playmates…”

“B-But you told me you love me too. You told me that I am your girlfriend. Have you forgotten about it?”

Jiyong holds Kikos’ shoulder. “I-I’m sorry…”

“ you…”

 “Kiko…”

Kiko shook her head. “ you! You jerk, douchbag!” Kiko yelled at him. “I love you! Can’t you see? I love you Jiyong!”

“I-I’m sorry Kiko…”

“Can’t you see? You use me! You… you ing , you used me!”

“I’m sorry Kiko… I’m really sorry.” Jiyong said. “I am an , a jerk, yes, but please understand me. I-I can’t let go of Dara. She’s my everything. And what I am doing what we are doing, is not right because we are hurting her…”

“And me? What about me? Don’t you think I am not hurting?” Kiko said. She wiped away her tears and looked at Jiyong. “You’ll never be happy with her Jiyong. You will cry… you will cry because of her…”

 

***

 

Dara was walking towards her next class but the thought about Donghae made her smile. Every time she’ll think about Donghae, she will find herself smiling or merely blushing. She was now holding her necklace and smiled. That guy!

“Stupid… Why am I even blushing?” she thought.

She walked towards the cafeteria. She’ll eat the extra sandwich Donghae gave her awhile ago while heading to school. Even if Jiyong was already here, Donghae hasn’t forgotten his so-called ‘responsibility’ towards her and that’s bringing sandwich for her. She smiled at the thought.

Upon entering the cafeteria, she immediately saw Donghae. Donghae already texted her, that he’ll be waiting for her on the cafeteria, so that he can send her to her next class. Dara walked towards him and smiled at him and when she’s near him she immediately punch Donghaes’ arm.

“Aww! Why did you do that?” Donghae asked. He acted like he was hurt but he’s actually not. He even rubs the part which Dara punch while smiling at him.

“That’s how I greet you.” Dara said while giggled.

Donghae smirked and went closer to Dara. And without any doubt, he bit Daras’ shoulder. “Aww! Why did you do that?!”

Donghae chuckled. “That’s how I greet you.”

Both of them just giggled, as if they shared the same inside joke. Donghae smiled and grab Daras’ bag. He’s used to this- holding her bag and sent her to her next class.

“Where’s my necklace? Did you use it?” Donghae asked.

Dara blushed upon remembering that scene. Donghae was playing with her, when he immediately gave it to her. It wasn’t in a romantic way but she fined it sweet. Jiyong never gave me something… she thought. She even remember it clearly what he said.

 

“I’ll be you Do and you’ll be my Da.” Donghae said while chuckling.

“Why?”

“Because that’s my endearment towards you. You’re now my Da and I’ll be your Do.”

Donghae went closer to her and placed the necklace on her neck. It was just a simple necklace and the only design on it is just a letter-D. Nothing special but for Dara, it was the most special girl she ever received.

“Since you’re now my girlfriend, you should always wear this.” Donghae said. He even showed to her the same necklace and places it on his neck. “And this is mine.”

“Why necklace?”

“So that we’ll be near with each others’ heart.” Donghae said, while giving Dara a quick kiss on her shoulder. “Flip it and behind the letter-D you’ll saw my engraved name. Look at mine, it has yours.”

 

By the thought of it, made Dara blush. Oh god! What have you done to me? Donghae, what did you do to me? She thought.

Donghae hold Daras’ hands and squeeze them. “Don’t ever, ever misplace that Dara.”

“I promise.”

They’re holding each others hands when they’re walking around the school campus. They’re not afraid of being caught- well that’s the purpose of their ‘so-called ‘secret’ relationship. But what are we doing? We’re letting others know about our ‘little secret’? she thought.

“What we have now is not a secret anymore.” Donghae chuckled. “They’re seeing us, we better act well.”

Dara just rolled her eyes but then never let go of Donghaes’ hands. For her, nothing feels safer in Donghaes’ hands. When he’s around, she felt safe. She smiled but he smile faded away when she saw Kiko in-front of them. She even dropped her books while looking at them.

Dara smirked. She’s not scared anymore; she’s not as vulnerable as to what her face portrays. What she experienced these past few days made her stronger. She saw how bewildered Kikos’ reaction. She raised her hands which is the same hands to where Dongahes holding firmly- the same hands were their fingers were intertwined.

Kiko walked towards them, still gasping. She’s in between getting her books whose now on the floor or just watch Dara and Donghaes’ hands that are intertwined.

“A-are you… are you…” Kiko said. She can’t even comprehend the right sentence because she’s too shocked upon seeing them. “Are you cheating on Jiyong Dara?”

“Of course…” Dara said, with a mischievous smile. See this? This is how I play. This is what you call playing fair… she thought. Donghae smiled upon hearing them. Time to administer your own dose of medicine.