t w e n t y n i n e

Cheating Hearts

Dara went to the school University to fix her school records before going back to the Philippines. She only has 3 more days to finish get her papers. As much as she wants to stay in the University and finish the remaining semester, her father doesn’t allow her. With the tone of his voice he used upon telling his disapproval and the urgency, it all says that he’s being inpatient.

Her father loves her dearly, she’s sure with that, but he doesn’t want liars. And that’s the biggest mistake she ever did- she lied to her father. Her father is always saying that one simple lie will ruin everything; that one little secret will change everything. And this is the consequences of lying to her own father. If she only had the guts to tell to her father that she went to Jeju with Donghae, most probably she’ll not be here in the office and fixing her transfer papers.

“This semester will end by this month, Ms. Park. and it’s 3 weeks from now. What’s with the urgency?” The school registrar asked.

“My father wants me to go back as soon as I can.” Dara answered and gave the registrar a warm smile.

The registrar nods. She has nothing to say but it’s a sad thing that this student will leave soon. She just transferred last semester and based on the school records she had, she’s performing well in her academics. “The papers will be available by tomorrow. You have to be back so you can sign the transfer papers.”

“Thank you Ma’am.”

 

Dara heave out a heavy sigh as she went out of the school registrar. She’s almost done with the school papers. She only had unfinished business here: she must talk to Kiko and say sorry to what she did. Sure thing Kiko is also the victim here, even if she knew that Jiyong and I were still together while they’re having an affair. She’s a victim of love.

She was about to walk to go to her dorm when she clearly saw Donghae in-front of her, his bag on right shoulder and a sunflower on his hand. She was taken aback since Donghae was smiling at her. Why is he smiling? He’s mad at me, right? She asked herself. She held her breath tightly and bit her inner cheek. She will miss Donghae so much, she’s sure of that.

“H-hi?” Dara awkwardly asked. She started walking towards Donghae, who remained silently staring at her. “W-what are you doing here? D-do you want to talk to the registrar?”

Donghae, who keenly stares at her, smiled. His eyes sparkle with so much adoration he had for Dara. He went closer to her and gave her the sunflower he used to give. “I forgot to give it today girlfriend.”

“T-thanks.”

Dara smiled. Donghae went closer to her and hugged her tightly. Donghae enveloped Dara to his arms and gently kissed her hair. “I-I’m sorry if acted like a jerk the other day. It’s just that… I’m sorry.”

Dara was for awhile got shocked; but eventually, smiled. She gently placed her hands on Donghaes’ back and smiled, tapping it gently saying that it’s okay. “Naah, I-I should be the one who’ll say I’m sorry. But we cannot change anything Donghae, I am going home. You cannot stop me or my father.”

Donghae just nod and push her slowly. He smiled upon seeing the teary-eyed Dara in-front of her. He cups Daras’ face, placed his thumb on her cheeks- caressing it. The way he looked at her gives her the idea about how he truly loves her. “I learned that if you cannot stop the things you want to stop, you just have to learn to go with the flow. Well, I cannot stop you from going home, that’s already given. So, why not make the best 3 days of your stay here memorable?”

Dara stares at Donghae and unknowingly, the tears she’s holding started to flow. She bit her lower lip and smiled. “Yeah, why not make the best 3-day memory?”

Even is she only had meet him for months and her main reason why she went back to Korea is Jiyong, she learn to love him fast. She loved him that fast that she has no idea why she loves him. She just woke up one day only to find out that she’s already in-love with him. And it’s weird, very weird, since she loves Jiyong.

Donghae slowly raised his hands in-front of Dara and smiled at her. He gets her free hands and touched it with him. Their palms were just centimeters away.

“What are you doing?” Dara asked, while smiling. Even if she knew it already, that Donghae wants to hold her hand, she just want to ask it. The smile on her face cannot be erased. Not today. Not in the next three days she’ll be spending with Donghae.

Sure thing, three days is very short. She cannot give Donghae the ‘long distance relationship’ he wanted or if ever he’ll ask it, she’ll never give it to him. She learned her lesson already. She will never put Donghae in a box full of possibilities: possible heartaches, possible disappointments. If they’re meant to be, they’re surely meant to be. Screw that distance, screw the time zone.

Donghae smiled and slowly, clasped their hands together. Intertwined fingers. Held tight. “I want to hold your hand tightly.”

Dara chuckled. “You are holding it right now.”

Donghae started walking, dragging along Dara with him. Everyone looked at them weirdly. Almost everyone knew that Jiyong and Dara are couple and it’s kinda weird seeing Dara with Donghae- worse part is that they’re holding each others’ hands.

“Where are we going?” Dara asked, but she’s sure that she’ll just let Donghae decide to where they’re going. She trust Donghae and she has nothing to be afraid of as long as she’s with him.

Donghae just smiled and went to the second floor. They’re now at the Architecture building. They entered a classroom filled with Architecture students. “W-what are we doing here? Am I even allowed to be here?”

Donghae just gave her a smile. “Everyone! I’d like you to meet my girlfriend.” Donghae shouted making the whole class gone wild. They’re screaming like idiots and even throw some crumpled papers on Donghae.

“So, she’s Dara, huh?” one of his classmate asked.

“Tsss.”

Donghae dragged her and went out from the classroom. Dara was still blushing from the scene they’ve shared and she can’t help t but giggle. “That was… hilarious!”

“I want them to know that I have a girlfriend already.”

“Tsss.” Dara mimicked Donghae.

Donghae stopped and stares at Daras’ eyes. He slowly went closer to him and kissed her forehead. “I am happy that you’re here Dara. Damn happy.”

“So am I.” Dara answered. “I don’t know if we’ll really end-up being together but I am happy. You make me happy, Donghae, so happy. I am afraid that this happiness will be over. Soon. We don’t know the future but--”

“We don’t know the future but we can live the best with our present. We will never regret this, right?” Donghae asked. But he’s sure that Dara will be with him: not forever but at least for the rest of their waking life. He already had plans and he’ll surely make it happen.

Dara nods. “Yes.”

“So, where do you want to go?”

“Everywhere. As long as I am with you.”

Donghae blushed, making Dara giggled. He’s still not used to Daras’ sweet remarks. “Tsss. Kinikilog ako.” Donghae mumbled, awkwardly.

“Its kilig, boyfriend.” Dara said while dragging Donghae. “I want to eat Ice Cream. I galloon for you, and 1 galloon for me. Are you opt for the challenge, boyfriend?”

 

***

 

Dara was now in her dorm and talking to Donghae through facetime. “You are such a clingy boyfriend.” She commented. They just separated ways for an hour already and he keeps on bragging how much he missed her already.

“Naah, I miss you.”

“Seriously? Lee Donghae?” Dara can’t help but asked. She’s really amazed on how Donghae managed to tell her words straight to her face. “We’ve been together for the whole day and you missed me already?!”  Donghae just pouted. “Naaah, don’t give me that pout, you little goldfish!”

“I really miss you.” Donghae insisted.

“Come on, be serious Donghae.” Dara said, rolling her eyes on him.

“I really miss you, seriously.” Donghae said while chuckling. “Come on! Aren’t you missing me? It’s been one hour and seventeen minutes since we last saw each other.”

Dara was about to give him a counter attack when she heard a knock on her door. She stands up and was about to open the door when Donghae interrupted her. She raised her eyebrows as she stares at Donghae on her iPhone screen. “Are you expecting someone?”

“Nope.”

“Then, don’t open the door.” Donghae said.

“Are you serious?” Dara laughed.

“What if that’s a murderer?”

Dara chuckled. “Whatever. Bye bye, boyfriend. Goodnight and I love you!”

“Hey, wait a minute—“

Dara giggled and stared at the door. Donghae almost forgot the dorm doesn’t allow visitors when the clock strikes 11PM- well, for the dormers safety purposes. Dara opened the door and saw the last person she expected to see- Kiko Mizuhara.

Kiko gave Dara an awkward smile. “Hey…”

Dara smiled at Kiko. She even remember the very first time she saw her- she felt threatened and she realized by now that she must trust her instincts. But that was before. She opens the door to her dorm widely. “Come.”

Kiko shook her head and smiled at her. “N-no need Dara, thanks anyways.”

Dara remained standing next to Kiko and smiled. Even if she wanted to be a , she knew she just can’t. How I wish I can act like a … To scare her even for once! Pch! She thought. “So…”

Kiko smiled at her. “I am here to talk to you.”

“About what?”

“I am here to say Thank You.” Kiko said while smiling. Dara was about to ask her why but Kiko continued. “You made me realize things, most especially the fact that I should love myself first.”

Dara was speechless to what Kiko just said. She looked at Kiko and saw how her eyes got teary. She knew that Kiko was really smitten to Jiyong. “I-I don’t know what to say… I-I”

“You see, Jiyong loves you. Really loves you. No matter how much and how hard I try to steal him from you, he’d still come back to you. I-I realized that he must choose, even if I already knew the answer. And yeah, he chooses you.” Kiko said. It really saddens her that she cannot have Jiyong for her own. She still loves Jiyong, she really does, but she has to let him go. “I deserve better Dara. I am not born to be the second best, or the second option.”

Dara went closer and hugged Kiko. “You deserve the best, Kiko.”

Kiko hugged Dara back. She knew that it’s a wrong decision to hurt her in the first place. She’s really… pure. She doesn’t hold too much hatred and grudges. “H-how I wish I was you…” Kiko sobbed. “I wish I was you so Jiyong can love me back. I want to slap you right now and ask why. Why does he love you that much?”

Dara shook her head. “N-no, Kiko. Listen, we… we are unique individual. You are beautiful in your own ways, Kiko. It’s just that… Jiyong can’t see your worth as of now.”

Kiko push Dara slowly. She wiped away her tears. “Isn’t ironic?”

“W-why?”

“I am the reason why you cried before yet I am crying in-front of you now.” Kiko said. “I-I have to go.” Kiko stands up and smiled at Dara. They started walking towards the door. “Thank you for listening to my drama.”

“You’re welcome.” Dara said. “You know, I’ve always wanted to be your friend. But the situation before doesant allows us. But now, we can be friends, right?”

Kiko smiled and hugged Dara. “Of course. We can be friends.”

Dara opens the door and got shocked upon seeing Donghae standing. “Lee Donghae? W-what are you doing here?”

“I got scared knowing you have visitor and--- Kiko?!”

Kiko smirked and slightly push Donghae. “Pch. I didn’t know that you’re that clingy Donghae. Just… what the heck.”

“What are you doing here?”

Kiko smiled. “Oh, we had a little chit-chat. See you soon Dara and thank you.”

Dara smiled. “See you soon.”

Kiko started walking towards the elevator. She wishes that the two will end-up being together. They were both good person and she knew that they deserve all the happiness. Donghae was left there, dumbfounded and all. “So, that was that? Just, that?”

“What do you expect? A murderer? Tsss.” Dara said while laughing. She wants to mock at Donghae but she just can’t.

“I thought… I thought…”

Dara went closer and tap Donghaes’ forehead. “Pabo~”

But Donghae just smiled at Dara. “Hmmm. Since I am already here and you’re alone. Why now spend the night with you?”

Daras’ eyes widened and looked horror. “W-what?!”

Donghae smirked. He walked slowly towards Dara and smirked. He pushed the door, to open it widely while not taking away his gaze from Daras’ eyes. “I want you…”

Daras’ eyes widened. She wanted to scream but she just can’t. “I thought… I thought you’re not like some other guys…”

Donghae smirked. He holds Daras’ shoulder and caressed it. “I have died everyday wishing---“

“You really think I can do that?! Huh, Donghae?! You think I’ll give myself to you that easily?!” Dara shouted with her eyes teary. “I-I thought you’re not like them! Y-you only wanted to get inside my shirt! You---you—“

Donghae hugged Dara and started to laugh. “My Dara…. My girlfriend…”

“You ert!”

“Naah, not until you cook something for me.”

“What!?”

“I want you… to cook for me. I have died everyday wishing you’ll cook something decent for me.”

Daras’ eyes started to blink. Once. Twice. Thrice. Times ten. “W-what?!”

“I want you to cook something for me.” Donghae said while wiggling his eyebrows at her. He went closer and kissed Daras’ lips slowly. “Cook something for me. Did you know that a way to a mans heart is through their stomach?”

“So, you’re just…”

“Yes. I am bullying you.” Donghae mumbled, making Dara pout.

“I hetch you.”

Dara was about to wipe away her tears but Donghae stopped her. “Let me…” Donghae kissed the tears on Daras’ face. “I don’t want to be the reason why you cry, but I know I can’t. If I caused this, I want to be the one who’ll wipe it.”

“Then stop playing games—“

Donghae just smiled and kissed Daras’ lips. “Naah, I think it’s the best idea ever created to eat your lips than food.”

“Donghae!”