s i x t e e n

Cheating Hearts

Dara opens her eyes and blinked a lot of times. This is another day for her and supposed to be, she should be happy. Another day means another 24-hour of new experiences, new memories. But for her, it was just another painful day. She gets up on her bed and realized that she’s all alone- no signs of Jiyong. The only thing that she’s sure is that it did happen. She sighed again and fighting herself not to cry. How long did she cried for Jiyong? How many times did she cry for Jiyong? Maybe, a lot of times already.

She got up and covers herself with the blanket. And as soon as she stands-up, she saw the evidence of what she did the other night- the blood on her bed cover. She bit her lower lip and faked a smile. Smiling for her is like the usual way of lying- she can fake her smile and make it look like a genuine one. A smile can cover everything- pain, tears and even anger. But for Dara, she’s smiling to hide her regrets. She’s honest to herself, she regretted it.

She thinks that giving herself to Jiyong is the right thing- not even thinking that what she’s about to do will be a life-changing event for her. That after what she’ll do with Jiyong, it will change everything: her judgment, her way of living and even her stable emotions. She didn’t expect that her very first time would be like that- that Jiyong will leave her without even a note, he left her not even thinking that she’ll get emotionally stressed. She didn’t expect that Jiyong is as jerk as he was the other night.

She left out a heavy sigh- she stands-up and fixes herself. She takes a bath, went to the café near her dorm to have breakfast. She acts like a normal girl she used to be- used to because she’s not the normal girl anymore. Something in her was gone. They say that the moment you’ll give yourself to someone special to you, the aftermath would be euphoric. He’ll treat you extra-sweet, you’ll feel extra-special. Dara wanted to plaster a bitter smile. Jiyong was sweet but he never treated her extra-special. Dara felt, even the day she went back to Korea, that Jiyong just treats her like she’s a random friend.

They say woman has seventh sense… Dara thought. She already sensed that something is not usual between Kiko and Jiyong, even the way Donghae treated her when they first met is very different. But she chooses to let it slip away, just let go of that bad feeling. She has no right to rant in the first place! She was in the Philippines living on her own, and Jiyong is here living on his own. They already have different lives and yet they choose to stick with each other.

“They say a person shouldn’t frown early in the morning because they wouldn’t know who’ll fall with their smile.”

Dara looked up and saw Donghae, with his usual smile. He was freshly smiling at her but it is very obvious that his eyes were a little bit swollen. Did you cry? She wanted to ask but she just shut . She’s not that stupid not to know that he did cry. But the question is, did he cry because of her?

“Hey…” she awkwardly said, motioned Donghae to sit beside her. The café is still half-empty. Probably students were still asleep or very drunk to even get up on their beds.

“You alone?” Donghae carefully asked, with his eyebrows a little bit raised. He even looked at the vicinity of the café checking if Jiyong is there but he hasn’t seen him. “Where’s Jiyong?”

Dara faked a smile. “Oh, he’s not here.”

“Eh? But he didn’t come home the other night.”

“Y-yeah… he sleep on my dorm but haven’t seen him when I woke up.” She said, merely a whisper. Sandara is afraid that Donghae would notice the sadness on her voice, or even the bitter smile she’s expressing right now.

Donghae was a little bit agitated. “Hmm… probably he’s going home right now.”

“Maybe.” Dara just answered.

Both of them fell silent. Both of them knew that they were really awkward with each other after that ‘break-up’ they had at the girls comfort room. Dara knew that what she did is right- breaking up with Donghae is the right thing to do. She shouldn’t even bother to agree with Donghaes’ words- cheating on Jiyong using him- because it wasn’t right. She should have known that if Jiyong cheated on her, she should ask and confronted him. But what did she do? She let her emotions- her anger- ruled her whole being. She’s scared that Jiyong would choose Kiko and not her.

On the other hand, Donghae wanted to tell Dara that he’s still not accepting her decision- the ‘break-up’ conversation at the girls comfort room. He still wanted to be with her, even if he’s the other man of her life. He doesn’t care if Dara wouldn’t love him back or if she’ll use her. What is important to him is the fact that he can show how much he loves her. Its true, he hadn’t confess his undying love for her, but he knew and can feel that Dara already has an idea about what he felt towards her. ‘Begging’ to be her boyfriend, in a secret way, isn’t just a friendly or concern friend act.

Both of them sighed.

“I have to tell you something…” both of them said, in unison, making them laugh. With that simple word, it stopped the growing awkwardness they felt towards each other.

“No, you first.” Donghae said while smiling. He was happy that they’re now back to being ‘normal’ secret couple again. “Ladies first.”

“I just want to say sorry.” She said. She went closer to him, put her soft hands over his hands, and gently squeezes them. “What I did to you isn’t right, Donghae. I should… I should have known that breaking-up in the comfort room isn’t right.”

Donghae just smiled at her. He wanted to kiss her in the forehead, kiss her hands, but he’s afraid that the students around might saw them. Everyone knew that Jiyong and Dara were couple and he’s just the bestfriend in the story. If they would see that Donghae kiss Dara, they will think that Dara is the cheater- which is the last thing he would want others might think about her. “No, it’s okay.”

“No, it’s not okay Donghae.” Dara insisted. “I only think of my feelings, not even minding what you feel.” She holds Donghaes’ hands. “What I did isn’t right and I’m very sorry.”

Donghae smiled. He just smiled because he cannot speak because of his over-flowing emotions. He wanted to scream because of too much happiness. He bit his lower lip, trying his best not to let out a chuckle.

“You’re trying your best not to suppress a smile, aren’t you?”

Donghae looked at Dara in an innocent way. “H-huh?”

Dara rolled her eyes yet smiling at him. “Keep on denying it Donghae, keep trying.”

“I am containing myself not to smile because I’m very happy.”

“Why?”

“Who wouldn’t? Ahh, just don’t mind me.”

Dara just shrug and waited for their order. Upon waiting, Donghae was staring at Dara, feeling like she’s the only girl in his world. He wanted to tell everyone, each person in the café, that the girl beside him is the girl he loves.

“You know it’s rude to stare, Lee Donghae.”

“You know it’s rude to be rude, Sandara Park.” He mocked. “But if staring to a very beautiful girl is a criminal offence, naah, I’m ready to be sentenced.”

Dara blushed upon hearing it. “Flirt…”

“At least I am just flirting with you… not like…” Donghae stopped before slipping Jiyongs’ name but he knew that Dara already knew the name he was about to tell. He can fell the way she smiles at him. It didn’t reach her eyes. She’s smiling as if smiling is the very usual thing to do. “I-I’m sorry…”

“Naah, it’s okay Donghae. What you’ll about to say is the truth anyways.” Dara said.

With a pang of guilt, Donghae pull Daras’ wrist, hold t very tight, and then drags her towards his car. “Get in.”

“What?”

“Do I have to repeat myself, Sandara Park?” Donghae asked. He wanted to slam himself for being such a jerk. He sighed.  “I said, get in.”

“W-why?”

“Just… get it, okay? Trust me.”

Dara entered Donghaes’ car. She’s still not used to this kind of Donghae- the rich kid Donghae. She’s used to the simple Donghae who bring her sandwiches every morning.

Donghae drove his car silently. He felt guilty because Dara fell silent because of what he said. Damn it Donghae! He cursed himself. He wanted to take her away, most especially her pain. He’s not used to this kind version of Dara. He wanted the Dara he falls’ in-love with: the one who smiles at him every waking day of his life, the funny Dara.

“W-where are we heading at?” Dara nervously asked. She noticed that after a long silent drive they’re now heading towards the exit toll gate, going to the province. She wasn’t allowed to go beyond city board because her parents will get crazy if they’ll know about this!

“We’re heading to Jeju Island.” Donghae smoothly said, while driving his car.

Daras’ eyes widened and even a gasp was heard. “Jeju—what?!” She can’t go there! She just can’t!

“We’re heading to Jeju. We will just spend our whole 24-hours there as a couple.”

“But Donghae we still---“

“Just think that we’re doing this for our term paper, okay?”

Dara just sighed then looked at the side of his car. The usual buildings of the city weren’t visible anymore. The green trees and even blue ocean is approaching their way.

“W-why?” she asked.

I just want to have a moment with my girlfriend…”

Dara looked at Donghae. “Donghae…” she said in a protest. “You know our—“

I just want to escape this whole Dara. I just want to escape the truth that I betrayed my best-friend over you. I want to be with you, with you as my girlfriend and not my secret girlfriend- even for 24-hours… even in a cheating way…”