e i g h t e e n

Cheating Hearts

Dara is still embracing Donghae tightly. She’s afraid that if she’ll let go of him, he might drown and she’ll loose him forever. She was scared to death awhile ago knowing that Donghae doesn’t know how to swim. That even if she’s afraid of heights, and the idea of jumping really kills her, she still did it for her to save Donghae. And she’s glad that he was safe.

“Don’t do that again, Donghae please, just don’t.” She was trembling because of too much emotion she felt. She was scared, frustrated, and nervous and all emotions mixed.

You love me…” Donghae said, while laughing with too much happiness. It wasn’t a question because he heard it clearly. He embraces Dara tightly and even planted small kisses on her hair. Best day ever! “You love me, Dara, you love me.” He repeated. He wanted to make sure, even if he’s already sure about it.

Dara just closes her eyes and smiled because Donghae is right, she loves him. She already realized it but she’s not brave enough to admit it to herself. She’s scared of everything that will come next if she’ll admit it. Dara tried to stop the growing feelings, she wanted to stop, but she just can’t. Dara falls for him like it’s the right thing she can ever do as of now.

Donghae slowly push Dara, stares at her eyes intently. He can clearly see that her eyes were sparkling and he can’t help it but gave her a quick kiss on her lip. He bit his lower lip trying to contain the smile and laugh he was about to show. His heart is leaping with too much happiness.

“You don’t know how happy I am right now.” He said while staring intently to her eyes. “Happiness is just too shallow.”

“I don’t want you to do that again. I’m scared, really scared awhile ago.” Dara said, fighting the urge to cry. She was never a cry baby but she wanted to cry right now. She was damn scared. “I thought I’ll loose you.”

Donghae smiled and taps gently her hair. He was beyond happy. “You take the risk for me.”

“I was scared! What if you’ll die? What will happen to me?” she said in between sobs. “I-I don’t know what to do if I’ll loose you, Donghae. Please, don’t do that again. You’re the only person I have now whom I know who will never leave me.”

Donghae nods. “I won’t do that again, I promise.”

They remained like that- hugging each other in the middle of the body of water- and didn’t mind the people that surround them. For both Dara and Donghae, this is the only time wherein they let go of their restrictions and guilt. They knew that they’ve been fighting with themselves- whether to admit their feelings for each other or not.

“I can swim.” Donghae said, merely a whisper.

“W-what?!” Dara said, with her eyes wide opened. fell hanging and she was shocked.

“I just did a little white lie awhile ago. I know how to swim Dara, since grade six.” Donghae slowly saud making Dara looked horror while at the top of the man-made falls she jumped awhile ago.

“H-how many… how many…” Dara asked.

“That’s 16 feet tall, Dara.”

“Jesus!” Dara exclaimed. She holds and let out a loud gasp. “You know I am scared of heights and then you… you just…”

Donghae placed his right hand at the back of his neck, while showing a playful smile. “Sorry?”

“Yaah!” Dara exclaimed. She started thumping her hand in-front of Donghae, splashing water on his face. “I was scared thinking that you don’t know how to swim when in fact you know how. And then you let me jump 16 feet tall water falls when you know that I am scared of heights!” Dara hissed, continuing what she was doing. “I almost died!”

Donghae can’t help but laugh his heart out. He already knew that this is coming, Dara will get mad at him, but he just didn’t mind. Donghae wrapped his arms on Daras’ waist, making the later move closer to him. The distance between the two is too close and he can’t help it but stare at her innocent face. Donghae cupped Daras’ face, tracing his thumb on her cheeks.

“Can I kiss you?” Donghae asked, in a hoarse voice. He was staring at Daras’ eyes down to her lips. He swallowed the lump on his throat and settled his stare on Daras’ eyes. “I-If you don’t mind…”

Dara was taken aback with his question. She already shared kisses with Donghae before- unexpected smack kisses from him when he got a chance and the longest one is the first kiss they shared, when she was very desperate to avenge her broken heart. She felt like her cheeks burnt. The feeling of his soft lips touched hers made her blush.

“W-why?” she asked. Oh come on! I know you want it too! “I-I don’t know.”

Donghae left out a sigh and smiled at her. He kissed her forehead and smiled. “I can wait, Dara. But for now, I want to savor the moment.” Donghae hugged her tightly and gently kiss her hair. “I know everything is too fast, falling for you is too fast, too unnoticeable, yet falling for you is the best feeling I’ve ever felt.”

Dara closes her eyes and smiled. Falling and admitting that she falls for Donghae is the right thing she can do as of now. She wants to forget everything- loosing her ity, cheating on Jiyong, her bad feelings towards Kiko. She’s too young to experience this struggles.

I love you, Dara. And I will fight for my right to be loved back…” Donghae mumbled while hugging her tightly.

 

***

They went back to the resort, while dripping wet. They’re walking hand-in-hand, not even minding the wide smile from the people that saw them, towards the reception area of the resort. Dara felt a little bit awkward since she’s not used of other people starring at her.

“Why are they starring at us?” Dara asked, while lowering her head.

Donghae chuckled, placed his hand from Daras’ shoulder to her waist, and gently pull her closer to him. “Because you are beautiful.”

Dara looked away, hiding her blushing cheeks and huge grin. “Pch.”

Donghae chukled. They continued walking and saw Mrs. Kim walking towards them, with wide smile. “Donghae!”

“Mrs. Kim!”

Mrs. Kim went closer and kiss Donghaes’ cheeks. “Geez! You’re too wet. Did you go to you sanctuary?”

Donghae nods. “Yep. And oh, my girlfriend, Dara.”

Mrs. Kim faced her, with a smile on her face. “The first girlfriend of my favorite boy!”Mrs. Kim hugs Dara and kisses her cheeks. “You’re so beautiful.”

Daras’ cheeks flushed as she smiles at the older woman in-front of her. “Thank you Mrs. Kim.”

“Donghae, don’t ever make this beautiful lady cry, huh?”

Donghae nods and kissed Daras’ forehead. “I wouldn’t dare.”

“Go to your cottage and get dressed. Geez, did the two of you jump on the man made falls?”

“Yep. And it’s the best cliff diving ever.” Donghae said, gently squeezes Daras’ hands.

“Tss. This child. I have to go, I still have meetings.” Mrs. Kim bid them goodbye. “Bye.”

As Mrs. Kim walked away, Dara and Donghae started walking towards the cottage. They’re just silent yet the silence that surrounds them isn’t that awkward or cold. Upon entering the cottage, Daras’ eyes widened as she saw how beautiful yet simple it was.

“Mrs. Kim gave it to me as a high school gift.” Donghae said, guiding Dara to enter the cottage. “I designed it when I’m still first year college.”

“You’re good.” She can’t help it but comment. It was true and the evidence is right here in front of her. “She influenced you well, Donghae.”

Donghae nod. “Yep. She’s the mother-figure I had since mom is not here.” Donghae went to a cabinet and gave Dara some towels. “You can take the shower first.”

Dara smiled and entered the bathroom. She undresses herself and saw the reflection of her body in the mirror. She bit her lower lip and smiled bitterly.

“I don’t deserve you, Donghae…” She said to herself. Self-pitty… “I’m not pure anymore.”

She started scrubbing herself. She disgusts herself for doings things using her emotions. She cried. She’s not the pure Dara Donghae knew and she regretted giving a part of her to Jiyong. Yes, she loves Donghae but still Jiyong got her first. How will she explain this to Donghae? What will happen if he’ll know that she’s not pure anymore?

“I shouldn’t tell Donghae then…”

She went out on the shower and dried herself. Donghae wasn’t around and she waited for him. She has no clothes to wear and she’s afraid that Donghae might get mad at her if she’ll use his clothes. A little while, the door open and she saw Donghae entered the cottage.

“I don’t have clothes Donghae.” Dara said, shyly.

Donghae smiled and went to the closet. He grabs some shirt and some boxer for her to use. “I don’t have underwear here. Maybe you can use this for the mean time and then we’ll go to the souvenir shop to buy you some clothes.”

Dara smiled. “Thanks.”

Donghae entered the bathroom and took a quick shower. As he went out, he saw Dara sitting on his bed while watching TV. Donghae can’t help it but smile. He went to his closet and grabs some shirt for him.

“My t-shirt looks good on you.” Donghae commented. He’s wearing a jersey with his surname on his back. He went closer to Dara and smiled at her.

“T-thanks.” Dara nervously said.

She has no idea why she’s nervous, being alone on this cottage and too close with Donghae. She’s not a ert but she felt like being close to him is… not safe anymore. She felt like her body is not on its normal temperature. Oh god, what the hell is happening to me?

“Why are you sweating?”

“Huh?”

Donghae holds Daras’ forehead and smiled at her. “You have sweats.”

Dara nervously smiled at Donghae. “I-I…”

Donghae went closer to her and smiled. “Why are you stuttering? Are you nervous?” she asked while laughing. “Hey…”

“I don’t know why…” she said while looking away. She’s blushing.

Donghae chuckled and a playful plan was on his mind. He pushes Dara on the bed and he’s now on top of him.  He stares at Daras’ widened eyes and chuckled. “You think we’ll something weird, huh?”

“D-donghae…”

Donghae went closer to her and kissed her forehead. He kissed her cheeks, her nose, and her eyes. Dara felt like she’s exploding because of what Donghae is doing to her. She can’t help it but smile. She’s nervous but she’s happy. She has mixed emotions and she cannot distinguish what is right and wrong to her. She’s still committed to Jiyong and yet she let Donghae kiss her. She’s just like them, she’s just like Kiko and Jiyong, and she’s also a cheater…

“Donghae…”

“I am not selfish Dara, I was never one, but this time, I want you to think of me alone. I want to be selfish when it comes to you.” He said in a hoarse tone. He stares at her eyes, her soul, and told her the words that made her logic nowhere to be found. “I love you, very much. Maybe falling for you is the best thing I ever did for my whole life…”

Dara closes her eyes and fight to herself. She’s crying inside, she’s dying inside. She doesn’t deserve someone like Donghae: he’s too good to be true! She bit her lower lip and started nodding. Maybe I can fix this… I can fix everything as I get back to Seoul.

“I love you…” Dara was crying and Donghae saw how her tears fall. He wrapped Dara on his arms and comforted her. “Hey, did I scare you?”

Dara shook her head but keeps on crying. She was now sobbing and Donghae don’t know what to do. “Shhh… I wouldn’t do it. We are not doing it. I am not forcing you Dara, I respect you a lot…”

Dara cried for more because of Donghaes’ words. She buried herself to his chest and cried. She now realizes how stupid she was! Why did she give it to Jiyong? She already knew that Jiyong is an and yet she gave it to him! She regretted it and she can’t blame anyone because she decided it all by herself. (You can blame the author Dara. Haha!) It was her decision and she must face the consequences of her actions, her impulsive actions.

Donghae respects her and she can’t help but regret all her decisions. If he’ll know she’s not pure anymore, what will happen next? Will his treatment towards her will change? Will he love her less?

“Hey…” Donghae said while comforting her. “I love you and I will not take it away to you, not this time, okay?”

Dara shook her head. She has to tell him, he deserves to know. She must tell Donghae to so he can decide: whether to stay or go away.

“I-I… I-I hav-have to tell you some… something.”

“What is it?” Donghae asked in a calm tone.

Dara closes her eyes, bit her lower lip. And upon opening her eyes, Dara can’t help but saw the pained expression on his eyes. She doesn’t want to give him another painful feeling but she just can’t! She must tell him.

 “I-I’m sorry Donghae but, I’m not a anymore…”

Donghae stares at Dara for a long time. His eyes widened and his body is shaking. Dara is still crying as she holds Donghaes’ arms. “D-donghae… I’m… I’m sorry….”

And on impulse, Donghae threw the lamp shade he saw near the side table. He was trembling and he can’t help it but stands-up and went out, leaving Dara crying. He’s mad… he’s mad because I am disgusting… And he choose to leave me.