t w e n t y

Cheating Hearts

Jiyong came to his dorm early in the morning. He was bombarded- physically, emotionally and mentally. He just wants to have a piece of mind to think of the decisions he made and the thing that happened the other night. And the thought of it really clenches his heart because what he did is really a sign that he’s a total . He just proved to everyone that he’s a walking .

“ it!” He mumbled. “Just it!”

He opens the door of his dorm and saw no one- no sign of annoying nerdy Suho studying on the coffee table and no sign of Donghae joking and laughing at him. The room is empty, very silent, that even a small droplet of water can be heard. He entered their room, places his bag on the bean bag and sighed.

“What the heck did I do that?!” Jiyong cursed. He started punching the wall on his room just let out the emotions. “What the ! Why did you do that?!”

His knuckles were bleeding but he didn’t stop, he just can’t stop. He was crying and still punching the wall. His bleeding hands aren’t enough to make the angry version of him to stop. His knuckles were already numb and profusely bleeding. “ it! it!”

His shoulders were already shaking and he’s already sobbing. He punches the floor and cried. He just regret it, everything. “Why did I do that to her?” Jiyong mumbled.

The door of their room opened and there, Suho saw the version of Jiyong. “What the!”

But Jiyong didn’t mind the hands holding his shoulder. Jiyong didn’t mind the curse Suho keep on saying because of his bleeding hands. He just cried like a lost boy because of regrets. “ it! it!”

“Jiyong!” Suho said. He let him stand-up but Jiyong didn’t. Suho went to their comfort room and looked for their medicine kit. He went back to the kitchen and gets a basin full of water and started washing the bleeding hands of Jiyong. “What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I ruined everything… I ruined her.” Jiyong kept on mumbling. He didn’t even mind the stinging pain on his arms- his heart is more painful that that ing hand.

“What are you talking about? Why are you punching the wall? Are you out of your mind?!” Suho asked. Jiyong is a calm person, just like Donghae, so it’s really weird seeing him like this. The last he knew he was devastated was when he was still in high school, based on what Donghae told him before.

Jiyong let out a fake smile. “I ruined my girlfriend… I ruined Dara.”

And upon hearing Daras’ name, Suho stopped from what he’s doing. He starred at Jiyong. “What did you do to her this time?” He was never close to Dara and they only met a couple of times but knowing how good she was, he can’t help it but be a protective older brother to him. “What did you do to her, Kwon Jiyong?”

Jiyong was crying and bit his lower lip. He sobbed and he didn’t even hide it from Suho. He hold his forehead with his bleeding hands. “I took her ity, Suho…”

With that, Suho punched Jiyong on his face. If things were on the normal stated, Jiyong would have punched Suho for punching him like that. But Jiyong knew that he deserve that punch. “ you, you son of a !”

Jiyong didn’t talk, he just cried. He regretted it because he respects Dara so much that he choose to cheat that touching her. “I-I regretted it, Suho.”

“You don’t love her!” Suho shouted at Jiyong. “If you really love her, you should have stayed away from her.”

“ you, I do love her!” Jiyong said, with piercing eyes looking at Suho. “I love her and I regret it now why I did that to her. Suho, I love her, and I am ing respect her!”

“If you respect her, then why did you do that, huh?” Suho asked in a sarcastic tone. “If you respect her, why did you choose to take away her innocence? Damn it Jiyong, I know you! I know how your mind runs! I know your heart is in between your legs!” Suho again give Jiyong another punch on his face. “You what? I I am happy that karma is fast approaching. You don’t deserve someone like her, you .”

Jiyong was left there, still staring at the door. He respected Dara so much. He loves him. And that’s the reason why he chooses to cheat than to touch her. He knew she was a so he avoided any intimate contact with her that would initiate everything. He was a jerk and an but he wanted to preserve Daras’ innocence. He was sure that he wanted to take it away from her once they got married.

He may be a playboy but he wanted Daras’ first time to be special and meaningful. But he ruined everything; he ruined his promise to himself. He took her innocence the other night and he was sure that he was the playboy GD and not the loving Jiyong.

“I just ruined everything…”

 

***

Donghae and Dara are already in Seoul. Donghae is silently driving towards Daras’ dorm since Dara is already asleep. He wanted to smile upon seeing how Dara holds the sunflower he gave to her awhile ago. He even remembers how cute she was while accepting the sunflower. He doesn’t like roses because for her, roses were too mainstream. Everyone gives roses that sometimes, it already lacks its true meaning. He gave her sunflower because he remembers the way Dara looked at the sunflower on the botanical garden- she was smiling and happy by just seeing it.

They stopped at the coffee shop near her dorm. He even saw random faces he usually saw at the university. It’s really scary knowing that they’re dating on the university belt were dorms of the students were located and a big chance that somebody might see them. But that’s not big deal to Donghae. The more people saw them, the more chance Jiyong would know.

“Dara… hey, girlfriend.” Donghae said as he taps Dara cheek lightly.

“H-hey…” Dara said as she woke up. She looked around and saw the familiar place- the café where she eated breakfast early this morning. “We’re already here?”

Donghae nod and unbuckled Daras’ seatbelt. “We still have 9 hours to spend our 24-hour date.”

Dara smiled at him. She holds his hand and squeezes it. “Thank you for being here, boyfriend.

Donghae smiled at Dara and kissed her forehead. It’s really giving him jittery feeling every time she’ll say that word. Boyfriend… That’s their endearment to each other: Dara is his girlfriend while he’ll be her boyfriend. “It’s almost 10PM and I’m a little bit hungry.”

“Hmm… maybe we should stay in my dorm…” Dara trailed off her sentence upon remembering that ‘it’ happened on her dorm. She shook her head and smiled at Donghae, trying her best not to make it a fake smile. “Naah, my dorm is a bit messy. Maybe we… we should stay here ‘till morning.”

Donghae knew that Dara just don’t want him to be inside of her room. He knew that it happened in her dorm. But he wanted to make her feel that he doesn’t mind at all. As what he said, ity isn’t a measuring tool for love. or not, he will accept her, wholeheartedly. “Sure. We’ll stay here ‘till 11 and we’ll go somewhere to catch the sunrise.”

Dara nods. They entered the café and saw familiar faces. They just didn’t mind the weird stares from them; maybe they’re asking to themselves why they’re together when in fact Dara is Kwon Jiyongs’ girlfriend who happens to be the best-friend of the guy she was with.

Donghae went to the corner of the café, the place were other people will not see them immediately. He pulls a chair for her to sit, making Dara blush. Even by just simple gesture, Donghae made her feel like she’s really worth the fight.

“What do you want?” Donghae asked.

Dara blushed. “Milk tea please and strawberry cheese cake, if they’ve got one.”

Donghae smiled at her. “You’re really cute when you blush.” He commented before going to the counter.

Dara blushed for more and looked away. “Tss. You’re the main reason why I am blushing.”

She scans the whole café: a lot of students were hanging around. She just shrugs and sighed. She looked outside and saw that there are lots of stars in the sky. She smiled at the thought of her and Jiyong when they’re still on seventh grade: they used to sneak out during night and go to the garden and just watch the stars. It’s really amazing how they become lovers at that very young age.

“I hope I’m the reason why you’re smiling.” Donghae said as he went back to the table. He holds her hand and squeezes them. “You’re lucky enough they left one slice of strawberry cheese cake.”

Dara gave Donghae a small smile then looked at the sky. “You know what? Jiyong and I used to watch the stars when we were still seventh grade.” Dara said. She just stares at the stars and smiled at the memory she had with Jiyong. “He used to hold my hand so tight, as if not letting me go. He used to smile at me like I am the most beautiful woman in the world. He used to… he used to love me so much, so much that I am contented of having him alone for myself.”

Donghae just stare at the woman he loves. He watched her as a tear fell on her eyes. He went closer to her and wiped away the tears on her eyes. He’s not mad because she’s thinking about Jiyong; he’s not even mad because she’s talking about him. He is mad because Jiyong is keeps on hurting her.

And by all odds, the music being played in the café is ‘Thinking of You’ by Katy Perry. It’s ironinc how Dara think of Jiyong, of their memory, while she’s with Donghae- the guy she loves and loves her back. Dara let out a fake smile and looked at Donghae. “But that’s the thing, ‘he used’ to be like that to me. I don’t know why he became like that and what really happened to us but yeah, maybe we’re not meant to be.”

Donghae didn’t respond. He just stares at Dara who’s now looking at him too. “Do you love me?”

Dara smiled. “Yes, I do love you.”

“Do you love me because I am here to catch you and pick up the pieces of your broken heart? Do you love me because I was there when you cry over him? Do you love me because I… I love you?” Donghae asked in a sad tone. He doesn’t want to ask it but a big part of him wanted to.

“Donghae…”

“Or you love me because you love me?”

Dara reached for his hand. “I love you. There’s no exact reason why or exact time when but I love you because I just love you.”

Donghaes’ heart yelp with too much happiness upon hearing her words. He reached for Daras’ forehead and kisses them, not even minding that some people might see them. The university is too small for the three of them- Jiyong, Dara and him.

“Thank you… and I love you too.” Donghae said with a smile on his face. “You don’t know how happy I am to know that you feel the same with me, Dara. I was scared to tell you the truth, that I am in-love with you, knowing that you love Jiyong so much.”

Dara didn’t spoke instead she just smiled. “Let’s have a picture.” Dara tried her bets to divert the topic. She’s scared that she might say something again.

Donghae smiled. “Naah, the pictures awhile ago were a hundred already.” Dara pouted her lips, making Donghae giggle and reach for her cheeks to pinch it. “You look like a puppy, girlfriend.”

“And you look like a goldfish, boyrfriend.” Dara said in a playful tone. “Yaah, let’s take a picture.”

Donghae stands-up so he can sit beside her but Dara shook her head. “What?”

“You will take a picture of me and I will take a picture of you.”

Donghae holds the back of his head and smiled weirdly. “And then you called it ‘let’s take a picture’ huh?”

Dara just stuck her tongue out. “Come on.” Dara gave her phone to Donghae. She closed her eyes and pouted her lips, as if kissing someone. “Come on, Donghae, I’m waiting.”

“You look like a puppy.” Donghae muttered but then he clicked the button. “Here.” He said while handling her phone to her. “Is that okay?”

Dara smiled upon seeing her face. “You captured it perfectly.” She saved it to her phone and makes it as her wallpaper. She bit her lower lip and showed it to Donghae. “Look how cute my wallpaper is.”

Donghae just smiled. “Yeah, a very cute puppy.”

“Whatever.” Dara rolled her eyes at him but smiling. She reached for Donghaes’ phone that was placed on the table. “Now you do the same.”

“Huh?”

“Use that same pose I did awhile ago.” She instructed him.

“Why?”

“Because I said so?”

“Why would I do that girlfriend?”

“Because I said so, boyfriend.”

Ðonghae smiled upon seeing how serious Dara is. “I can’t believe I am doing this because of my girlfriend.”

“Naah, you better do that or else…”

“Or else?”

“No more 24-hour Dara time.”

Donghae shook his head. “Yeah, you win. You’re my kryptonite.”

Donghae closed his eyes and do the same. He pouted his lips as if kissing someone else. Dara captured it and smiled. “You look like a goldfish!” she squealed.

Donghae just shook his head. “You are bullying me, girlfriend.”

“Aww, you’re so cute. You look like a human goldfish.” Dara commented. She made it as his wallpaper. “Look.” She showed his picture that was now the wallpaper of his phone. Dara gets her phone and places them on the table. “See? This is an indirect kiss.” She giggled.

Daras’ phone is now beside Donghaes’ phone and since they pose like kissing, the phone wallpaper looks like they’re kissing each other. “Yeah, an indirect kiss.” Donghae commented.

“Aww, we look so cute Donghae.”

Donghae just smiled at her. She’s so sweet and caring and he’ll surely want to have her for his own. “I love you.” He said all of a sudden.

Dara smiled at him. “I love you too.”

 

Little did they know that Kiko saw them from the outside. And a question is running on her thought, Are they cheating on Jiyongs’ back?

 

 

***

Donghae came to his dorm with a smile on his face. Seeing how happy Dara was after 24 hours is really a satisfying feeling for him. Upon entering, he saw that Jiyong is sitting on the couch and drinking beer. A lot of can were already scattered on the floor and he cant help it but get mad at him.

“Why are you drinking?” Donghae casually asked even if he wanted to punch Jiyong right here, right now. “Where’s Suho?”

Jiyong didn’t answer but he continued drinking. He wanted to forget how jerk he was towards Dara. “Kwon Jiyong.”

“What?!” Jiyong hissed in an irritable tone. “What do you want?”

Donghae is mad. He went closer to Jiyong and without notice, he punched his lips.

“What the !” Jiyong hissed. His lips were bleeding and Donghae cannot find any guilt feeling seeing Jiyongs’ face. “Why did you do that?! !” Jiyong said while wiping the blood on the corner of his lips. “ it, Donghae.”

Donghae just shrug and turn his back on Jiyong. He saw that the corner of his lips was a bit swollen and he thought he just received a punch from someone else. Donghae smirked and show his satisfied smile. “Naah, I thought I saw a mosquito on your face. It turns out that I saw a jerk.”

“ it!”

“My bad, bro.”